[OS] Debian Stretch

meaz
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: [OS] Debian Stretch

Unread post by meaz » Wed May 08, 2019 3:48 pm

How do I switch back to kernel 3.10 ? Are there any drawback from doing that?
Also, I saw there: viewtopic.php?f=96&t=17542 that CEC works with your Jessie image. Should I better use it then?

Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it?.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, N2

Unread post by meveric » Wed May 08, 2019 3:57 pm

Debian Stretch requires Kernel 3.16 or higher to work properly as it uses syscalls that do no exist in older Kernel versions, so going back to Kernel 3.10 is not recommended.
I can't tell if it has any drawbacks except for tons of errors about missing syscalls in the syslog, but I can't guarantee this.

Debian Jessie should work fine, but it's currently in LTS support, means it's getting old.
I personally don't use CEC so I can't say what's the best approach.

Maybe approaching HardKernel about the issue with CEC in Kernel 4.14 is the better solution.
HardKernel might have a way to fix this in the Kernel.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

meaz

Unread post by meaz » Wed May 08, 2019 5:51 pm

I just wrote to hardkernel as you suggested. THey asked me to report on the forum... SO here it is: viewtopic.php?f=146&t=34892

In the mean time, I found this: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/soft ... enable_cec
It is written that CEC works "with our Ubuntu Mate/Minimal 18.04.1 on 4.14.87-153 kernel with the latest packages"

SO that should work with Stretch too, no?

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, N2

Unread post by meveric » Wed May 08, 2019 9:12 pm

The package from HardKernel won't work and the rest of the guide was already done.

The other topic about CEC I'm not entirely sure.

The guide written here: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/soft ... rom_source which was suggested by AreaScout might work.
Although some parts such as installing the https://github.com/Pulse-Eight/platform.git is not really required, as the package already is installed in the system.

I'll see if I can create a new package based on the changes.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed May 08, 2019 10:33 pm

Ok, I have a new version of libcec4 (actually needed to backport version from Debian Buster) but I need to test it if it's working.

meaz

Unread post by meaz » Wed May 08, 2019 11:07 pm

Perfect! Thanks a lot Meveric! Can't wait to get it and see if it works ;)

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu May 09, 2019 4:31 am

viewtopic.php?p=255258#p255258

It's working, you probably should add a udev rule though:
/etc/udev/rules.d/20-hkl_cec.rules

Code: Select all

KERNEL=="cec0",SUBSYSTEM=="misc",MODE="0666"

meaz

Unread post by meaz » Sun May 12, 2019 9:48 pm

Thanks a lot Meveric! That works!!!!!!

Just for other people to know,

KERNEL=="cec0",SUBSYSTEM=="misc",MODE="0666"
didn't work.

I had to do this:

KERNEL=="cec0",SUBSYSTEM=="cec",MODE="0666"

meaz

Unread post by meaz » Mon May 13, 2019 12:52 am

For some reason, it doesn't work anymore... It has worked for like 10 minutes. I formatted my sd card, reinstall everything, but it still doesn't work. I have this message on kodi: "Connection to Pulse-Eight CEC... " but it doesn't connect.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon May 13, 2019 2:04 am

can you check what version of libcec4 you have installed?
And if you formatted everything have you set boot.ini back to use cec?
Check the usual, if /dev/cec0 exists and if it has the right permissions.

meaz

Unread post by meaz » Mon May 13, 2019 2:55 am

Yeah I did all that. I have your version of libcec... (from your repo)

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon May 13, 2019 3:33 am

Than I don't see why it shouldn't work.
As you said before it was working.
I wouldn't know why it would stop all of a sudden if nothing was changed.
Even if there are some errors after a few minutes, a reboot should always reset this.
Means you should have these minutes again and not suddenly not working at all.

odro-volti
ODROIDs: Odroid XU4

Unread post by odro-volti » Wed May 15, 2019 5:05 am

I got my Odroid XU4 and an eMMC with Ubuntu, which boots just fine. So I burned the stretch image to an SDcard (to keep the functional Ubuntu eMMC), flipped the boot-from switch to µSD and plugged in power, but only the red LED lights, nothing else happenz, no blue LED, no fan

I confirmed the SHA512 checksum on the image.

I unxz the .img.xz file

I burned the image to a new 16GB Sandisk class 10 card (using this type of cards for years in raspis) with

sudo dd if=Debian-Stretch64-1.0~RC2-20190330-N2.img of=/dev/sdf bs=1M conv=fsync
and afterwards did 3 times the "sync" voodoo.

I used an USB3 card reader with a dedicated slot for µSD, no adapter (although I never had any problems with adapters in the past years of buring raspi images from various sources)

And repeated this 4 times now (2 times downloaded the image). The SDcard has 2 partitions after dd. But apparently nothing boots up...

What am I doing wrong here?
kind regards

volti

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed May 15, 2019 5:32 am

Don't use Ubuntu and Debian at the same time. They use the same UUID and therefore the kennel does not find the correct rootfs.. unplug the eMMC if you use Debian from SD card.

odro-volti

Unread post by odro-volti » Wed May 15, 2019 2:59 pm

OK, I removed the eMMC, plugged in power, but same result, red light on, no blue light at all... :-(

(Have attached a monitor, keyboard (USB3), mouse (USB2)and RJ45. The SD-card is inserted correctly oriented afaik and as deep as possible...)
kind regards

volti

odro-volti

Unread post by odro-volti » Wed May 15, 2019 5:39 pm

I downloaded the ubuntu minimal image, checked md5 on xz and img file, all OK, burned it with dd and sync afterwards (3times). This SD-cards boots for some seconds, I see the usual messages scrolling up the screen, but after some 7-8 seconds the screen turns black, the blue LED gets dark and never comes back (fan stops).

Is that normal?

PS: I pressed the power button and the ubuntu minimal booted within 8 sec to the login... seems fine so far.

But what'S the problem with Debian RC image? :-(
kind regards

volti

odro-volti

Unread post by odro-volti » Wed May 15, 2019 9:47 pm

OK, the N2 image won't boot on XU4. I will try the right image and guess it will work.... :oops:
kind regards

volti

odro-volti

Unread post by odro-volti » Thu May 16, 2019 3:29 am

Works! :-D

Is it safe to do a

apt dist-upgrade
(after "update" and "upgrade") or better not?
kind regards

volti

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu May 16, 2019 3:42 am

yes please do the dist-upgrade or else you won't get Kernel updates and other things.

odro-volti

Unread post by odro-volti » Thu May 16, 2019 10:32 pm

Principle question re. the stretch image: I configured the SD-card install now and would like to make an .img (with dd, on another machine). Could I dd this image to another SD-card or even the eMMC module and have a functional image on a second SD-card/eMMC module? (with raspbian that was no problem to clone installs)

Or does stretch use UUIDs in fstab and whereever so that the cloned image won't boot?
kind regards

volti

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu May 16, 2019 10:36 pm

Normally this works. I suggest shrinking the rootfs before the image as a 16GB eMMC is smaller than a 16GB SD for example, so the only thing to keep in mind if the size of the target.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu May 16, 2019 10:36 pm

Normally this works. I suggest shrinking the rootfs before the image as a 16GB eMMC is smaller than a 16GB SD for example, so the only thing to keep in mind if the size of the target.

odro-volti

Unread post by odro-volti » Thu May 16, 2019 11:47 pm

Many thanks for quick reply!

Is there a preferred way to shrink root? With GParted offline?
kind regards

volti

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu May 16, 2019 11:48 pm

Yep, gparted is perfect for this.

odro-volti

Unread post by odro-volti » Mon May 20, 2019 1:34 am

...I shrunk /root to 12 GB, the Sd-card afterwards boots fine, but the dd .img is still 14.8GB, as dd simply copies over the empty chunk "in the end" of the SD-card!?!? So this won't fit on the eMMC anyway?
kind regards

volti

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon May 20, 2019 1:43 am

There are two things you can do.. either you can define a smaller image size with dd, or you can just truncate the already created image.
But even if the image is too big and doesn't fit on the eMMC entirely that's no big deal, as long as the partition fits on the eMMC, it's fine... the rest is just "empty information" anyway.

odro-volti

Unread post by odro-volti » Mon May 20, 2019 2:32 am

..so the dd to the eMMC will complete (writing the rest to nowhere) or stop with an error, but the image on eMMC will be functional?

Many thanks, never wrote to smaller media or used the built-in raspi copy function which adapts to target media size
kind regards

volti

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon May 20, 2019 3:47 am

odro-volti wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:32 am
..so the dd to the eMMC will complete (writing the rest to nowhere) or stop with an error, but the image on eMMC will be functional?
The last one.. it will show an error, but it will still work as the partition is small enough to fit on the eMMC and the rest is unused data anyway :)
odro-volti wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:32 am
Many thanks, never wrote to smaller media or used the built-in raspi copy function which adapts to target media size
There are many different ways to do backups... There are a couple of tools you can use and with dd you can define the size of the backup as well, and make it the exact same size as the partitions and therefore it will fit perfectly as well.
But it's not needed, if you don't mind there error, although you get the benefit of a smaller .img file if you only backup the size of the partition and not the entire SD card :)

Return to “Other OS”