[OS] Debian Stretch

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: [OS] Debian Stretch

Unread postby Gburas » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:10 pm

yes i did it with the proper user(tried a lot of configuration) and it didn`t work (on win 7) with: ultraVNC, tightVNC, realVNC
Gburas

languages_spoken: English, Polish
ODROIDs: Xu4

Unread postby meveric » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:18 pm

Gburas wrote:yes i did it with the proper user(tried a lot of configuration) and it didn`t work (on win 7) with: ultraVNC, tightVNC, realVNC

Hmm, that's odd.. as I was using Windows 7 with UltraVNC yesterday as well.. but it's probably an older version of UltraVNC.. I'll try the other clients as well.
Have you setup a password for authentication?
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby Gburas » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:23 pm

yes
Gburas

Unread postby meveric » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:30 pm

The passwords for VNC clients is mostly limited to 8 characters only, if your password is longer than that, there's a good chance some client do not interpret your input correctly.
Also it's slightly complicated to setup password for Vino (was much better in earlier versions where there still was vino-preferences).
Code: Select all
gsettings set org.gnome.Vino authentication-methods "['vnc']"
gsettings set org.gnome.Vino vnc-password $(echo -n "password"|base64)

(as I said the password shouldn't be longer than 8 characters)

Edit:
Just tested Vino with my version of UltraVNC + Password.
gsettings set org.gnome.Vino prompt-enabled false
gsettings set org.gnome.Vino require-encryption false
gsettings set org.gnome.Vino authentication-methods "['vnc']"
gsettings set org.gnome.Vino vnc-password $(echo -n "password"|base64)

and I could login with password.

Edit:
downloaded and installed RealVNC VNC-Viewer.... worked as well.
TightVNC tested as well and working.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby kubi » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:08 pm

Could someone please post the apt sources used for stretch?

I have the normal debian repositories working, but the mdrjr.org lines fail with some error. They were working maybe a month ago when I updated from jessie, but now all fails
///// Are these correct?
deb https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric all xu3
deb https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric all main testing
deb https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric stretch main backports

///// The error message
root@odroid-jessie:~# apt update
Hit:1 http://security.debian.org stretch/updates InRelease
Ign:2 http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch InRelease
Hit:3 http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch-updates InRelease
Hit:4 http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch-backports InRelease
Hit:5 http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch Release
Reading package lists... Done
E: Method https has died unexpectedly!
E: Sub-process https received a segmentation fault.
E: Method /usr/lib/apt/methods/https did not start correctly
E: Failed to fetch https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/dists/all/InRelease
E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
kubi

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2

Unread postby meveric » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:32 pm

The URLs are correct. Check that you have the correct time and date, as HTTPS will fail if your system thinks it's still 1970
meveric

Unread postby kubi » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:11 am

The time and date is correct. The https method segfaults:
root@odroid-jessie:~# /usr/lib/apt/methods/https
Segmentation fault

It must be one of the libraries. Maybe something got messed up between the debian repo and yours somehow.
Now it is time to find out where all the libraries came from...
kubi

Unread postby meveric » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:34 am

Well and there's the missing info.
You updated from Jessie to Stretch.
There is a lib that is from Deb-multimedia under Jessie that causes issues on Stretch and need to be replaced with the one from Stretch. Can you give me the output of
 dpkg --list | grep dmo

I think it should be something like librtsp or something similar that needs to be corrected
meveric

Unread postby kubi » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:47 am

Interesting...
I have
ii librtmp1:armhf 2:2.4~20150315.gita107cef9b-dmo1+deb8u2 armhf Toolkit for RTMP streams (shared library)
While in the debian repo:
librtmp1_2.4+20151223.gitfa8646d.1-1+b1_armhf.deb
This should be newer, but...
apt does not want to upgrade it. --> I've downloaded and force-installed with dpkg. It complains about that this is an actual downgrade. I think it is because of the + vs. ~ issue in the version.

And now, the https method works like charm :)

The interesting thing was that the debugger reported a segfault in the libnettle6 library, not in the rtmp...

Thanks for the hints!
kubi

Unread postby meveric » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:51 am

Yeah I had to deal with the same issue a couple of times but you can install it with apt-get just fine and don't need to download or force with dpkg.
meveric

Unread postby dev-rand2 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:00 am

@meveric Thank you so much for this excellent image! All is working well and I prefer debian over ubuntu (maybe I have an age problem...). I do seem, however, have to have an issue with trim on an SD card not working on an ODROID HC2. I am using a Samsung pro endurance card that allows trimming (e.g. via 'fstrim /' under the odroid XU4 ubuntu image on the HC2 board), but it gives me a "FITRIM ioctl failed: Invalid argument" on this build. Does this perhaps have something to do with the kernel or with a missing module? Is there anything I could try to confirm or help debugging?
dev-rand2

languages_spoken: english german
ODROIDs: HC-2

Unread postby meveric » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:15 am

hmm you can check if /etc/fstab has the discard option for / set, this could be an issue.
The Kernel should nearly be identical to Ubuntu and shouldn't be an issue.. I'll try if I can recreate this on a regular XU4, as I don't have an HC2 for testing.
meveric

Unread postby dev-rand2 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:26 am

Yes, discard was in the fstab for both cases. The thing with the discard option is that it will not log errors even if it doesn't work. At least that's my understanding of it. Interestingly enough 'cat /sys/block/mmcblk1/queue/discard_max_bytes' shows a non-zero number.
dev-rand2

Unread postby meveric » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:01 pm

I just tried it on my XU4 with Debian Stretch and a SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Card, trim was working fine.
I wonder if its something specific to the HC2. But generally fstrim on SD cards should work.
meveric

Unread postby dev-rand2 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:00 am

Thanks! I really appreciate you trying this. I'll dig a bit more and see if I can find anything. It sure is strange, as the kernel clearly supports it (discard_max_bytes is non-zero value).
dev-rand2

Unread postby dev-rand2 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:02 pm

One more data point: This debian stretch image definitely does support trim on the HC2. I successfully used it on a sandisc card but still no success with the samsung pro endurance, even after copying the kernel and kernel modules from the ubuntu distro. That same samsung card does trim fine in an old raspberry pi, though. Hmm. So maybe just a card specific problem that does not play well with the driver. Anyway, since it seems to be only this specific type of sd cards, that issue is probably not really worth investigating further.
dev-rand2

Unread postby Gburas » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:06 pm

Hi again
after error during upgrade i have restarted the board and it didn`t boot. I have solid red and blue LED. I have read yours other post and i connected mmc to pc, here`s what i get:

also there`s no space left on partition - i think that was the error, i knew that i should delete old versions but should it be automatic?

can i manually put files on the mmc? so I do not have to reinstall the system
Attachments
pliki_na_boot.jpg
files
pliki_na_boot.jpg (173.64 KiB) Viewed 478 times
Gburas

Unread postby meveric » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:22 pm

hmm it doesn't look so bad most stuff is there and looks fine.
here is what you can do:
1. delete uInitrd-4.14.28+ and zImage
2. delete everything that has 4.14.55+ in the name
3. delete uInitrd-4.14.69+ -> that one is broken you can see it when you check the size, as it's too small
4. make a copy of vmlinux-4.14.66+ and rename it to zImage

the rest looks fine.

Regarding cleanup:
Debian is tring to keep the last two kernels which in your case would be 4.14.55 and 4.14.66 while installing the next Kernel 4.14.69.
uInitrd-<VERSION> is created outside of the Kernel process and therefore has no cleanup which means it must be cleaned up manually.
The problem is, that bootfs is too small. It's the same size that was used on Kernel 3.10 where the Kernel was somewhat smaller and the process of installing updates worked better for that reason.
Sadly the image was already done when the issue with the Kernel 4.14 size became a issue and changing the size of the bootfs "on the fly" is not possible (or at least not very easy).

I would have to create a new image with a bigger boot partition in order to fix that issue.
meveric

Unread postby hamburml » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:08 am

Hello and thanks for the Image!

I used it on my XU4, started your setup-script and installed mate desktop. After a reboot I just got the terminal. I needed to manually install xf86-video-armsoc-odroid - after another reboot the mate desktop was started. Unfortunately the whole desktop was laggy (dragging window from side to side for example). I installed chromium but wasn't able to start it. I created the symlinks but saw that i didn't have libEGL.so and libGLESv2.so - I installed them via malit628-odroid but the mate desktop is still laggy (chromium and firefox doesn't start either).

Any ideas?

Thanks!
hamburml

ODROIDs: ODROID XU4

Unread postby meveric » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:24 am

Hmm that sounds odd.
Normally the installation of the Desktop should go through without you having to install anything manually.
Did you update the system before you tried to install the Desktop? Means latest Kernel and such things?
meveric

Unread postby hamburml » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:11 am

Yeah, I did an update, upgrade and dist-upgrade. After that I installed console-setup and keyboard-configuration to change the keyboard-settings. Afterwards I used setup-odroid to install the desktop-environment. Maybe I overlooked a warning message...
hamburml

ODROIDs: ODROID XU4

Unread postby meveric » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:14 am

Well I'll see if I can find a empty SD card and try it myself. Maybe something changed at Debian again. But it might take a few days.
meveric

Unread postby Gburas » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:00 pm

meveric wrote:hmm it doesn't look so bad most stuff is there and looks fine.
here is what you can do:
1. delete uInitrd-4.14.28+ and zImage
2. delete everything that has 4.14.55+ in the name
3. delete uInitrd-4.14.69+ -> that one is broken you can see it when you check the size, as it's too small
4. make a copy of vmlinux-4.14.66+ and rename it to zImage

the rest looks fine.

Regarding cleanup:
Debian is tring to keep the last two kernels which in your case would be 4.14.55 and 4.14.66 while installing the next Kernel 4.14.69.
uInitrd-<VERSION> is created outside of the Kernel process and therefore has no cleanup which means it must be cleaned up manually.
The problem is, that bootfs is too small. It's the same size that was used on Kernel 3.10 where the Kernel was somewhat smaller and the process of installing updates worked better for that reason.
Sadly the image was already done when the issue with the Kernel 4.14 size became a issue and changing the size of the bootfs "on the fly" is not possible (or at least not very easy).

I would have to create a new image with a bigger boot partition in order to fix that issue.

I was busy so yesterday i have tried Yours instructions
board booted :D but it stops and want root password for maintenance, i have tried to update but it didn`t
what`s next?
Gburas

Unread postby Gburas » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:02 pm

Image with statusImage

Wysłane z mojego D6603 przy użyciu Tapatalka
Gburas

Unread postby meveric » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:51 pm

Can you show me the content of /boot again like you did last time?
Do you have access to another linux machine or can boot a live CD so you can check on the rest of the OS rather than only /boot?
meveric

Unread postby Gburas » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:33 am

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dnzdHQ2G8gBYtrKS9

i was able to this on odroid, also added screen of booting just before asking root password, and also update command
Gburas

Unread postby meveric » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:03 am

I'm very confused.. the first 3 images show a running Debian image, the last one from the boot process.
Whats with the first 3 images? Is the image running or not?
meveric

Unread postby Gburas » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:09 am

it`s booting, after last image it stops for few minutes then ask to input root password, when i input the password it stays in cli mode and nothing happens
i`m still learning linux(i get along with linux when i buy xu4) so i don`t knew what to do next to make it run mate desktop, network etc.
Gburas

Unread postby Gburas » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:26 am

When i put root password i can execute commands, When i Press ctrl-d IT shows thatImage

sorry for the image size
Wysłane z mojego D6603 przy użyciu Tapatalka
Gburas

Unread postby meveric » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:38 am

Gburas wrote:it`s booting, after last image it stops for few minutes then ask to input root password, when i input the password it stays in cli mode and nothing happens
i`m still learning linux(i get along with linux when i buy xu4) so i don`t knew what to do next to make it run mate desktop, network etc.

that's why there's a setup-odroid tool installed that can install the MATE Desktop for you.
Do you have eMMC and SD card connected at the same time?

If you haven't had anything important installed its probably easier to start from a fresh image and do the update right away.
meveric

Unread postby Gburas » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:45 am

meveric wrote:
Gburas wrote:it`s booting, after last image it stops for few minutes then ask to input root password, when i input the password it stays in cli mode and nothing happens

that's why there's a setup-odroid tool installed that can install the MATE Desktop for you.
Do you have eMMC and SD card connected at the same time?

If you haven't had anything important installed its probably easier to start from a fresh image and do the update right away.

yes i knew that tool, i used him when i was installing debian, also i knew that best way is fresh install, even i dont have anything important now (lucky me) but i thought we cen figure this out, next person maybe have something important ;p

but thanks for all the help
Gburas

Unread postby stylon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:14 pm

I installed the image to an HC1 and during the boot process it stalls for a considerable amount of seconds twice:

[    3.395696] iommu: Adding device 13e10000.video-scaler to group 7
[   15.053706] thermal thermal_zone0: failed to read out thermal zone (-22)

[   17.111557] usb 6-1: reset SuperSpeed USB device number 2 using xhci-hcd
[   17.180057] r8152 6-1:1.0 eth0: v1.09.9
[   26.913939] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Spinning up disk...
[   28.675057] .
[   28.675209] ready

That's a total of 12+9=21 seconds. Any idea why this is the case? I also have an XU4 lying around and next thing I would try is how the same SD card behaves there. Please note that I already updated the JMicron firmware. The installed kernel version is

Linux debian-stretch 4.14.73+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Oct 5 12:53:21 UTC 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

Edit: Installed is a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 2TB.
Last edited by stylon on Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stylon

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, U2, U3, HC1, HC2, X2, XU, XU+E, XU4

Unread postby meveric » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:26 pm

The first issue:
stylon wrote:

Could indicate a broken thermal CPU sensor, I've heard of a couple of ODROIDs that have broken sensors, but I guess @odroid can answer this better.

The second issue:
stylon wrote:
[   17.180057] r8152 6-1:1.0 eth0: v1.09.9
[   26.913939] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Spinning up disk...
[   28.675057] .
[   28.675209] ready

Indicates a slow spin up of the harddrive, sadly that's most likely something you can't address, as the system waits for the HDD to report it's ready.

stylon wrote:I also have an XU4 lying around and next thing I would try is how the same SD card behaves there.

That's a good idea, that way you can compare how a different system reacts, as the HC1 and XU4 are essentially the same device, it should be a good comparison.
Look especially for the Thermal issue, cause that might be a hardware fault.

stylon wrote:Please note that I already updated the JMicron firmware.

I have a Cloudshell 2 and never updated the firmware.
I'm missing UAS support, but aside from that the older firmware seems to run better. For example on the Cloudshell 2 with the newer firmware the system can't distinguish between two different harddrives (Cloudshell 2 has 2x 3.5" HDDs), while with the older firmware that works perfectly fine.
The firmware "might" have an effect on the spin up time, but if so, it's very slightly.
meveric

Unread postby stylon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:53 pm

The installed HDD is a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 2TB ;-). Do you expect 9 seconds spinup time?
stylon

Unread postby stylon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:01 pm

meveric wrote:The first issue:
stylon wrote:

Could indicate a broken thermal CPU sensor, I've heard of a couple of ODROIDs that have broken sensors, but I guess @odroid can answer this better.

I've also seen those other threads about "broken" thermal sensors, but they all hint at also wrong readings. However, measured temperatures of my HC1 seem to be fine and also correlated with CPU load:

root@debian-stretch:~# cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone*/temp
stylon

Unread postby meveric » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:19 am

stylon wrote:The installed HDD is a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 2TB ;-). Do you expect 9 seconds spinup time?

Even more strange since it shouldn't have spin up time at all then.
I run from HDD (spinning) and my spin up time is about 2 seconds, but I also boot directly from HDD, so it might be started earlier in the boot process.
stylon wrote:I've also seen those other threads about "broken" thermal sensors, but they all hint at also wrong readings. However, measured temperatures of my HC1 seem to be fine and also correlated with CPU load:

I agree on that, I just checked on my XU4 that runs from HDD and it also shows the same thermal zone issues on boot, so it seems to be "normal".

It's interesting to see that booting directly from a "slow" spinning hdd, is faster than you booting directly from SD.
My boot process ends after 23 seconds and the server is running by then.
Have you tried moving the OS to the SSD?
meveric

Unread postby stylon » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:28 pm

meveric wrote:
stylon wrote:The installed HDD is a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 2TB ;-). Do you expect 9 seconds spinup time?

Even more strange since it shouldn't have spin up time at all then.
I run from HDD (spinning) and my spin up time is about 2 seconds, but I also boot directly from HDD, so it might be started earlier in the boot process.

Okay, the second delay was not caused by spinning up the HDD (in this case SSD), but establishing the ethernet link. Both the R8152 and the JMS578 are enabled shortly before and in the dmesg log you can't see that it's waiting some 20-30 seconds for the eth0 to come up. It's only visible in the debug console output. Luckily I have that cable :D

Surprisingly, the eth0 wait time only disappeared after downgrading the JMS578 back to the v0.1.0.5 firmware :o. Did anyone notice a similar behaviour? I didn't try switching multiple times between firmware versions. I will most likely stick to the v0.1.0.5 firmware anyway as my hope was that power consumption reduces with the additional support for spinning down the SSD, but actually overall average wattage is 1W higher with the new firmware without changing at all when the SSD spins down. I also noticed that the green LED constantly flashes with the latest firmware, while it should only with SATA transfers.

meveric wrote:My boot process ends after 23 seconds and the server is running by then.

Now mine ends at 29 seconds (eth0 probing and SSD "spinup" is now down to almost 0 seconds). However, there's still the 12s delay prior to the thermal zone failure message :?. I'll have a look at the kernel code where that comes from.
stylon

Previous

Return to Other OS