[OS] Kali Linux 2018.2 for XU4 [Touchscreen/AWUS1900]

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

[OS] Kali Linux 2018.2 for XU4 [Touchscreen/AWUS1900]

Unread postby Rutherf0rd » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:15 am

ATTENTION! Read this:
- You are doing this at your own risk. No one is responsible for mistakes of any kind.
- This guide is easy to follow. Nevertheless, don’t skip a single word and keep focused until the very last one.
- Make sure to back up your data. Obviously.
- Don’t worry about warning messages during the execution of make command.
- Some issues might still exist, although currently none are known. Make sure to report issues in this topic.
- Author allows anyone to share the material given below, but you MUST link this topic as origin/source.

How to install Kali Linux 2018.2 on ODROID-XU4

Let us begin. Download «Kali Linux Odroidxu3» image from the official Kali Linux website: https://www.offensive-security.com/kali ... rm-images/ and burn it to eMMC/microSD. Make sure your XU4 is connected to the Internet. Boot your XU4 and log in using «root»/«toor». Choose to use default configuration for the Panel. If you are using a display with multitouch, e.g. ODROID-VU5, you will notice, that graphics will appear glitchy and touchscreen won’t be working at all. There might be other issues as well. Though, USB 3.0 ports should work fine. Anyway, we are going to update Linux kernel to v4.14, which will significantly improve overall performance and fix known issues.

WARNING! If you are using display with multitouch, make sure your XU4 won’t go to sleep mode during kernel update, otherwise you may not be able to wake it up without rebooting. If your screen starts shimmering, it means that XU4 is about to fall asleep. You might want to temporary increase all three values in [Applications > Settings > Power Manager > Display] to their maximum.

Launch the terminal and let’s begin preparations. Do the basic software update and install packages required for further steps:

Code: Select all
apt update && apt dist-upgrade -y
apt install gcc g++ build-essential libssl-dev bc -y

After this is done, we shall start updating the kernel:

cd /usr/src
git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/hardkernel/linux -b odroidxu4-4.14.y kernel-4.14
cd kernel-4.14
make odroidxu4_defconfig
make -j8
Note: command above will take about 30 minutes.
make modules_install
mount -o rw /dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot
cp -f arch/arm/boot/zImage /boot
cp -f arch/arm/boot/dts/exynos5422-odroid*dtb /boot
sync
apt install mali-t62x-x11-driver -y --reinstall
Note: it may look like command above failed, but it didn’t.
apt autoremove -y
reboot

After reboot is done, check that kernel was updated successfully: uname -r. You should see 4.14.55+. That’s it! Touchscreen and everything else should be working now. Enjoy your Kali Linux on XU4.

Getting Alfa AWUS1900 WiFi adapter to work with ODROID-XU4

Now that we have fully operational XU4 running the latest release of Kali Linux, it’s time to get our hands on Alfa AWUS1900, which is considered to be the best WiFi adapter available for penetration testing. AWUS1900 is «boasting router connection speeds of up to 1900 Mbps», which requires USB 3.0 port. ODROID-XU4 is among few microcomputers that can use such a powerful quad antenna. To get it working we only need to install the driver for Realtek RTL8814U chipset, which is used in AWUS1900 adapter. Let’s begin:

git clone https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au -b v5.1.5
cd rtl8812au
make RTL8814=1 ARCH=arm
make install RTL8814=1
cd .. && rm -r rtl8812au

Driver installation is completed. Plug in your AWUS1900 and it should turn on the blue led.
Let’s check what ifconfig thinks about this:

apt install net-tools
ifconfig

You should be able to see wlan0, assuming that you use Ethernet cable for the Internet. Let’s give it a test by putting AWUS1900 in monitor mode and scanning for hotspots:

airmon-ng check kill
ip link set wlan0 down
iw dev wlan0 set type monitor
ip link set wlan0 up
service NetworkManager restart
airodump-ng wlan0

You should see nearby hotspots. Working just great! Send ^C (Control+C) to stop scanning. Not everything works with RTL8814AU driver yet, but driver updates are coming.

That’s it for this guide. We now have one of the most powerful microcomputers that runs Kali Linux 2018.2 and works great with ODROID touchscreen and Alfa AWUS1900.

Thanks to @odroid and @mad_ady for helping me with finding solutions in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=96&t=31711
Last edited by Rutherf0rd on Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rutherf0rd

languages_spoken: singlish
ODROIDs: XU4 x VU5 w/ Kali Linux

Re: [OS] Kali Linux 2018.2 for XU4 [Touchscreen/AWUS1900]

Unread postby mad_ady » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:25 am

Great write-up! I suggest you send a pm to @robroy to include it in the magazine
If you like you can include additional modules useful for pentesting in the kernel compile stage - if you know of any.
mad_ady

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby Rutherf0rd » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:51 pm

mad_ady wrote:Great write-up! I suggest you send a pm to @robroy to include it in the magazine

Thank you! I’m looking forward to see this material in the magazine!

mad_ady wrote:If you like you can include additional modules useful for pentesting in the kernel compile stage - if you know of any.

I don’t think that I’m going to include any additional modules for penetration testing. Kali Linux is supposed to be used by professional cyber security researchers, who, definitely, can find and install their favorite tools by themselves.

But, I’m going to update instructions for users to have more comfortable experience with Kali Linux on ODROID-XU4 specifically. For instance, I just managed to add multitouch gesture recognition, that works really well with ODROID-VU5.
Rutherf0rd

Unread postby Sanboton » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:44 am

Hi,

Awesome guide, however I m getting stuck in the first steps, I was working fine with Mate, but after flashing the image immediately when I connect it to the Odroid it is not appearing the log in from Kali.

It stays constantly loading, some fails appear t
and the message 'random: crng init done' repeating every certain time in the loading screen.

I can read some other fails, like failed to reset codec: -6 or failed to read device revision..

Any idea what could be happening?
Sanboton

ODROIDs: Odroid XU4

Unread postby odroid » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:22 am

odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby Sanboton » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:33 pm

I did as suggested and it worked. However, when I started with the guide, the dist-upgrade order when it finish it made it never to start again, it appears the cursor not moving up in the corner when it finishes.

I tried going directly to the new kernel and everything run smooth till I reboot. After installing the new kernel when I reboot I have the exact same problem as with the image 2018.3 the random: crng init done.

I'm not sure if just without upgrade or installing updates I could use Kali as normal.

Any suggestions?
Sanboton

ODROIDs: Odroid XU4

Unread postby Rutherf0rd » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:05 am

Sanboton wrote: ... Any suggestions?

Hello, and thanks for your interest. I’ll be updating the guide in a week. Had some difficulties finding free time.
Rutherf0rd

Unread postby FargenDog » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:13 am

2018.4 doesn't work at all - hangs on boot. 2018.2 boots but as soon as you run "apt update && apt dist-upgrade -y" it fails. I'm running the passive heat sink and it seemed to be overheating so I added a fan and disconnected the AWUS1900 and I was able to get through the updates and kernel build. Once I reset with the updated kernel it does the same thing as the 2018.4 image - hangs on boot.
FargenDog

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby ByerRA » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:31 am

I "think" I may have solved this...

After some researching the following steps seemed to have solved the issue.

Using the "2018.2" image, after first boot update/upgrade as normal...

THEN do the following...

apt install haveged
systemctl enable haveged

Then reboot, it should boot up fine (mine did) and from there follow the rest of the directions.

I found this at https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/debian-hangs-at-boot-with-random-crng-init-done-4175613405/

I'm compiling the kernel now so hopefully it stays working.

Hope it helps everyone, it helped me :)
ByerRA

ODROIDs: ODROID-XU4

Unread postby mad_ady » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:01 am

In theory haveged can't help you at that stage.
The message you see is typically the last message printed by the kernel before handing over control to systemd/initrd. Then, usually fsck may run, and it may take time.
Systemd may say more about what's happening on the serial console.
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby ByerRA » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:25 am

Well it helped in so far as one can do updates and reboot.

As for it working after a newly recompiled kernel, it didn't solve it as after compiling the kernel and rebooting it's doing the same thing.

So I guess for now with this I can at least update and use the 2018.2 image.
ByerRA

ODROIDs: ODROID-XU4

Unread postby FargenDog » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:49 pm

ByerRA wrote:I "think" I may have solved this...

After some researching the following steps seemed to have solved the issue.

Using the "2018.2" image, after first boot update/upgrade as normal...

THEN do the following...

apt install haveged
systemctl enable haveged

Then reboot, it should boot up fine (mine did) and from there follow the rest of the directions.

I found this at https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/debian-hangs-at-boot-with-random-crng-init-done-4175613405/

I'm compiling the kernel now so hopefully it stays working.

Hope it helps everyone, it helped me :)

Once you upgrade the kernel and reboot it doesn't work. If you install the drivers before the kernel update it doesn't recognize the Alfa AWUS1900
FargenDog

ODROIDs: XU4

Return to Other OS