[OS] Debian Jessie

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: [OS] Debian Jessie

Unread postby dominic » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:53 am

Hello,

little question for unserstanding. So far I run my XU4 server with Debian Jessie and kernel 3.10. Some modules like php are already from Debain Stretch. I wonder now, if it is recommendet to switch to a newer kernel version and/or Debian Stretch completely. Debian Jessie has security support till May 2018 and LTS till 2020, about the kernels I have no idea. Therefore I guess it would make sense, or?

Have a nice day!
dominic

languages_spoken: english

Unread postby meveric » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:09 am

Kernel is independent from the OS, as it not comes from Debian but from HardKernel/me directly. So Debian Stretch has the same Kernel as Debian Jessie.
3.10 is the official Kernel from Samsung, but 4.14 is also available for both Debian Jessie and Debian Stretch.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby dominic » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:30 am

So I should update at least Debian and can stay with the kernel? Where is the benefit of staying or updating the kernel?
dominic

Unread postby meveric » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:38 am

Currently under Debian Stretch there are fewer programs/games available than under Debian Jessie (at least when it comes to the software I port to ODROIDs), but yes Debian Stretch has newer programs/drivers that come directly from Debian.
So You have to choose what you prefer. More available programs/games for ODROIDs, or newer programs/drivers from Debian directly (not necessarily for ODROIDs at all).

Kernel 3.10 has most "stable" support, means the ODROID probably runs with less issues, some programs/games run better under Kernel 3.10, even some drivers work better.
Kernel 4.14 is newer and supports newer hardware, it also allows the use of hardware decoder/encoder for ffmpeg and gstreamer on ODROID XU4 and G2D hardware acceleration on the desktop, but it has some issues with drivers and hardware that was previously working fine on Kernel 3.10.

Sooner or later I guess Kernel 4.14 will be the default for everyone, as the benefits probably outweigh the downsides and patches may fix the issues that we still see under 4.14.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

Unread postby dominic » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:35 am

Sounds like a kernel update is not necessary for me. Just because I am cursious, to update I have to execute following statements:
Code: Select all
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get install linux-image-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu3 linux-headers-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu3

To update Debian I have to edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list and the ones in /etc/apt/sources.list.d and replace jessie with stretch and then again
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

is that right?
dominic

Unread postby meveric » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:00 am

one correction:
apt-get install linux-image-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4 linux-headers-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4

xu4 instead of xu3.. it's still for both XU3 and XU4 though.

The rest you wrote is correct.
meveric

Unread postby dominic » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:25 am

The debian update worked but now I get an error when i try to shutdown:
shutdown -r
Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory
dominic

Unread postby meveric » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:29 am

not sure.. try reboot, or just turn it hard off.. shouldn't be an issue.
meveric

Unread postby dominic » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:31 am

I did the hard turn off. But would prefer to do it a better way in long term.
dominic

Unread postby meveric » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:35 am

Well if it doesn't work at all then maybe something else is broken.
After the update it can happen that something is not working.. but after a reboot it should be fine again.
meveric

Unread postby dominic » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:09 am

Seems like the dbus was not (properly) installed, apt-get solved this issue.
Thanks meveric!
dominic

Unread postby lufkinOrange » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:40 pm

Hello all,
I have done some research to install debian strech instead of jessaie. meveric said that it was working fine, but fewer programs were available for it vs the current jessaie.
I wanted to know what was these packages, so I ended up checking the package list from what happears to be his repository.
https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/dists/jessie/main/binary-armhf/Packages
https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/dists/stretch/main/binary-armhf/Packages
Indeed there are a lot less programs in the stretch. The list of software from his jessy repo is very impressive. His repo seems to consist mosly on games and emulator. There are some desktop related application like chrominium with video plugins, kodi, a todo app, image-analyzer, moonlight, mpv, seafile, synergy to name a few popular one. Thanks for his dedication, all packages have a description and this helped a lot.
I am am now the owner of a odroid-hc2, which I will use as a remote backup location, most of these games software or graphical software will not be useful to me, so I'll try to take his base jessie image and upgrade it to stretch see how it goes, like other users did. Just wanted to share an input and how to visualize the list of package before installing the distro.

on a side note, I am not completly sure on the debian vs ubuntu choice. Usually I take debian because of how the react with the community vs cannonical fiasco (never upstream code, rythmnbox paid song, mir, unity bug gnome, upstart, mark always vs people), but I do recognise that ubuntu is the default choice and I might have less issue with it - for a server build. so sorry for stealing the thread, but if someone might have an opinion thank you for sharing it.

edit : unlike what is said in the first page, the sshd_config file allow root to connect with interractive password. this is useful for the hc1-2 machine. Be sure to install your public key and apply "permitRootLogin without-password" as soon as possible.
also, for those that wish to edit the image before flashing it, decompress it with unxz, then use losetup -fP image to set it to /dev/loop* and create the p2 partition which is now mountable.
lufkinOrange

languages_spoken: english, français

Previous

Return to Other OS