[OS] Debian Jessie

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: [OS] Debian Jessie

Unread postby meveric » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:15 am

trohn_javolta wrote:Are there any disadvantages that go along using your build in comparison to the others?

Reading through the first post I only found this one for me: ...Kodi is only available for X11...
I don't need any desktop environment but I want to keep the option open to use kodi. Would installing X11 mean a loss in performance?

X11 is needed to run my Kodi packages, doesn't mean you need to install a full desktop (although that makes things a lot easier).
If you don't use X11 it doesn't use performance even if installed. That way you can use something like startx to run a single application in X11 mode if needed.

trohn_javolta wrote:Also, does Cloudshell2 "work" with your image or are there any known issues?

I have Debian Jessie running on a cloudshell 2 as well with 2x 3TB HDDs and it's working fine. Haven't had any issue and mainly use it as data storage over SFTP or Samba.
In fact, I even moved the OS from eMMC to HDD and only load the Kernel from eMMC, so yes, works fine.

trohn_javolta wrote:I plan to use XU4 + Cloudshell2 as a NAS+homeserver combination, runing dl/torrent servers like transmission, nzbget, jdownloader2 | managers like sickrage,radarr,htpcmanager and also unrar at a decent decompressing speed would be nice.

Some torrent client are known to use quite a bit performance and/or I/O to check files on start and such, the more clients you use the slower the system will get.
trohn_javolta wrote:I think adding Kodi would be too much to ask here, it's not necessary but I want to try it.

Generally Kodi works fine and background tasks should not affect the system or Kodi, but if you're constantly use 100% CPU with "background tasks" then yes, Kodi will be laggy.

trohn_javolta wrote:I have no experience with open media vault, maybe it's also good for me....only concerning Kodi I read that the open media vault image doesn't support hw decoding in Kodi.

They probably don't bother about compiling packages directly for ODROIDs but only take default Debian packages and for that don't have hw decoding.

trohn_javolta wrote:Your build does, right?
I wonder: What happens if I want to playback a x265 encoded video file in Kodi? XU4 doesn't have hevc/x265 hw decoding capabilities right?
Does it play the file and automatically use software decoding?

The XU4 does not have a hardware decoder for HEVC, so what would happen is, that Kodi would start H265 with ffmpeg software decoder.
Since the XU4 has a very powerful CPU many HEVC videos work in software decoding (not all will). But it uses A LOT of CPU power and it won't work nicely if you keep the CPU busy with other tasks in the background.

trohn_javolta wrote: On another thread I read that the XU4 can playback 1080p x265 encoded videos smooth because of its good specs.
10 bit is a whole other story I guess..

Yes, I've encoded a movie using Handbrake from 12GB H264 to ~3.5 GB H265 1080p
Code: Select all
Duration: 01:55:53.49, start: 0.062000, bitrate: 4494 kb/s
Stream #0:0: Video: hevc (Main), yuv420p(tv, bt709), 1920x800 [SAR 1:1 DAR 12:5], 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 23.98 tbc (default)

Works perfectly fine on my ODROID and I could watch the entire movie without lags only software decoded.
But yeah, not every movie will work good.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby trohn_javolta » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:45 am

meveric wrote:I have Debian Jessie running on a cloudshell 2 as well with 2x 3TB HDDs and it's working fine. Haven't had any issue and mainly use it as data storage over SFTP or Samba.
In fact, I even moved the OS from eMMC to HDD and only load the Kernel from eMMC, so yes, works fine.

Thx for fast and useful info!
I'm curious: why move the os from eMMC to HDD..it can't be faster..can it?

Now in the armbian forum I read that eMMC install works, I may "just" need to update uboot on eMMC card, newer cards have compatible uboot version on it.

Now I'm unsure again whether to use armbian or your debian image..
Armbian offers ubuntu 16.04 I'm gonna ask why on their forum...sometimes they offer/recommend debian sometimes ubuntu.
I think they take what's avaiable from the hardware company and modify that..idk.

Gesendet von meinem ONE E1003 mit Tapatalk
trohn_javolta

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: none (plans for XU4)

Unread postby meveric » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:51 am

trohn_javolta wrote:I'm curious: why move the os from eMMC to HDD..it can't be faster..can it?

eMMC read performance is rather good, eMMC write performance not so much. 190MB/sec read vs. 35~75 MB/sec write.
Also there is higher wearing on eMMC than on HDD, means over time the speed of eMMC will decrease even more.
While HDD has an everage of 130MB/sec read and write. It's also more robust and thanks to LVM I can resize it anyway I need it, eMMC is rather limited.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

Unread postby trohn_javolta » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:45 am

meveric wrote:
trohn_javolta wrote:I'm curious: why move the os from eMMC to HDD..it can't be faster..can it?

eMMC read performance is rather good, eMMC write performance not so much. 190MB/sec read vs. 35~75 MB/sec write.
Also there is higher wearing on eMMC than on HDD, means over time the speed of eMMC will decrease even more.
While HDD has an everage of 130MB/sec read and write. It's also more robust and thanks to LVM I can resize it anyway I need it, eMMC is rather limited.
Hmmm.. maybe I don't need an eMMC card then.. so rootfs is on another partition? Armbian has such nand to sata script to write from sd/emmc card to sata device..ssd/hdd.. maybe I can use that.

But there is a limitation of the "read/write bandwith" by hardware, it's called bus, right?
So doesn't running os on hdd for instance reduce copy speed via network?
Or do you put the rootfs partition on one hdd that is quite full and not "fully used"?

trohn_javolta

Unread postby meveric » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:32 am

trohn_javolta wrote:Hmmm.. maybe I don't need an eMMC card then.. so rootfs is on another partition? Armbian has such nand to sata script to write from sd/emmc card to sata device..ssd/hdd.. maybe I can use that.

I provide a tool called setup-odroid on my Debian Jessie image, that also has an option to copy the rootfs to a harddrive.

trohn_javolta wrote:But there is a limitation of the "read/write bandwith" by hardware, it's called bus, right?
So doesn't running os on hdd for instance reduce copy speed via network?
Or do you put the rootfs partition on one hdd that is quite full and not "fully used"?

The XU4 has 2x USB 3.0 BUSes one is used by the Network, the other is a USB hub and used for the two USB 3.0 ports of the XU4.
Therefore network and HDD do not share the same bus, and using HDD does not reduce the network performance.
meveric

Unread postby trohn_javolta » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:43 am

meveric wrote:I provide a tool called setup-odroid on my Debian Jessie image, that also has an option to copy the rootfs to a harddrive.

Nice.

meveric wrote:The XU4 has 2x USB 3.0 BUSes one is used by the Network, the other is a USB hub and used for the two USB 3.0 ports of the XU4.
Therefore network and HDD do not share the same bus, and using HDD does not reduce the network performance.

Very nice.

I think I'm gonna go with the XU4...only thing that "bothers" me is that the piece is really old.... would be a pitty if I buy it now and a few month later there's a newer, better device with similar price.

trohn_javolta

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:01 am

HK have been quiet about their future plans, but they plan on keeping XU4 alive and well supported for a long time. In fact, any new board will probably come with buggier software.
mad_ady

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2

Unread postby tmihai20 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:11 am

I have asked them directly and I got a reply that they are not planning to release a new oDroid XU5 this year and any time soon. I think they may want a new C2. For the price it has now, oDroid XU4 is a total bargain. There are more options now than when I got mine back in March. Even if they will release a new oDroid XU next year, you will not be sorry for getting the XU4. I will probably buy a new oDroid just for fun.
Riddle me this, riddle me that
Who is afraid of the big, black bat?
I write (in Romanian mostly) on a blog (see my profile)
tmihai20

languages_spoken: english, french, italian, romanian
ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby trohn_javolta » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:49 pm

Ok, last questions for now:
Are there any special tweaks necessary for a good nas performance with cloudshell 2?
I will check the firmware of the USB to SATA Bridge for sure and update if need be.
But is there anything on the os to change or could I just set up samba and nfs server without special settings?
... I saw open media vault has many options for nas functionality, would I be able to install that aswell?
Seeing that there's a special open media vault image for odroid XU4 (I guess it's based on debian) makes me think that omv needs some special coordination with the os..
If it's possible to use omv, are there special install instructions like grab a special version from github or so? Or just install a provided debian package?
trohn_javolta

Unread postby meveric » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:43 pm

trohn_javolta wrote:Ok, last questions for now:
Are there any special tweaks necessary for a good nas performance with cloudshell 2?

Probably depends on how much speed you need.
SSH (SFTP/SCP) performance is rather low about 35~50 MB/sec.
Samba is rather good, 70~110 MB/sec depending on your setup. There are a couple of performance tweaks for Samba that can be found on the forum.
I normally don't have the need for it, as I don't have any movies or anything that needs faster than 30MB/sec, really.

trohn_javolta wrote:But is there anything on the os to change or could I just set up samba and nfs server without special settings?

updating to Kernel 4.9 could be interesting if you need fastest storage and network performance, but you may suffer Kodi performance if you do Kernel 4.9.
Most of the systems work fine without adaption of anything, but if you want absolutely highest performance then yes some adaption are necessary.
I personally never had the need for this. I don't care if I copy files from my Windows PC to the ODROID with 90MB/sec or with 110MB/sec makes no difference to me.

trohn_javolta wrote:... I saw open media vault has many options for nas functionality, would I be able to install that aswell?

There is a OMV build for ODROIDs available. As a standalone image, but since it's based on Debian anyway, you can probably install it on top of the Debian Jessie OS.
But I've never done that.

trohn_javolta wrote:Seeing that there's a special open media vault image for odroid XU4 (I guess it's based on debian) makes me think that omv needs some special coordination with the os..
If it's possible to use omv, are there special install instructions like grab a special version from github or so? Or just install a provided debian package?

Never checked on OMV, but others may be able to answer that question. Most probably just download the OMV OS itself rather than installing it on top of Debian.
But I know in the past people were installing OMV on top of regular Debian OS. Especially on Debian Wheezy and older ODROIDs, where there was no image available for it.
So there has to be a guide how to install it.
meveric

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:01 pm

You can find a bunch of tweaks and recommandations for a performant nas in February's Odroid magazine issue. Some of them (USB3 interrupt affinity set to big cores) have been integrated in the stock ubuntu image (4.9 kernel)
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2

Unread postby trohn_javolta » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:12 pm

I have the feeling that this debian image is better maintained than the omv image so I'll stick to this.

trohn_javolta

Unread postby tkaiser » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:08 am

meveric wrote:Never checked on OMV, but others may be able to answer that question. Most probably just download the OMV OS itself rather than installing it on top of Debian.
But I know in the past people were installing OMV on top of regular Debian OS. Especially on Debian Wheezy and older ODROIDs, where there was no image available for it.
So there has to be a guide how to install it.

I would recommend a script and not a guide: https://github.com/armbian/config/blob/ ... #L305-L407

So it's basically downloading 'softy', then executing it and choosing 'Install OMV' there. While this is part of Armbian's 'armbian-config' tool at least I test all the time with other Debian images (Raspbian or yours) to ensure the stuff runs everywhere. The official OMV images contain all those tweaks from the installation routine above but also the default Armbian tunables (eg. optimized ondemand cpufreq governor settings and fixed IRQ affinitiy, on your image for example all interrupts are processed on cpu0 which is a little core and becomes pretty fast a bottleneck) and for XU4 also another special tweak has been integrated (send all NAS daemons to the big cores to improve performance).

Settings and kernel version matter a lot :)
tkaiser

ODROIDs: C1+, C2, XU4, HC1

Unread postby meveric » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:47 am

That's good to know.. I'll take a closer look at it and if I have some time I may incorporate it into setup-odroid and see how it works :)
Thanks for the info.
meveric

Unread postby trohn_javolta » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:37 am

tkaiser wrote:I would recommend a script.....

You seem to be everywhere man :D

@meveric If you read the explanation from tkaiser here: https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/to ... entry42819
concerning running os from hdd you may reconsider your previous statement about read/write speeds...at least if you're running armbian with all its tweaks.
trohn_javolta

Unread postby meveric » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:34 am

trohn_javolta wrote:@meveric If you read the explanation from tkaiser here: https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/to ... entry42819
concerning running os from hdd you may reconsider your previous statement about read/write speeds...at least if you're running armbian with all its tweaks.

First of all I'm not using armbian, therefore I don't really care about these "optimizations" in fact I'm pretty much against these optimizations from a sysadmin perspective.
For some people pushing everything in RAM seems to be the holy grail. For me it's the worst thing you can do.
If your system crashes and your logs are in RAM your logs are lost, after reboot they are gone and you can't even check why the system crashed or what was happed right before the crash.
Maybe the out-of-memory killer killed an important task, cause you had to much stuff in RAM? You'll never know, cause the log is gone when the board crashes.
But they probably tell you they have the 10min sync active, so at least you know what happened 10min before the crash ;)

Browser Cache in RAM, another stupid idea in my opinion.. the only accelerated browser on ODROIDs is Chromium, which is known for using huge amounts of RAM to operate, and you want to put even more useless data like all the pictures, flash animations, gifs, youtube videos and so on in RAM as well? Sounds pretty stupid to me ;)
If you happen to browse one site at a time and never open more tabs, this might work for you, but just so you get an idea of my browsing behavior: at work I have 5 Firefox windows open, with a total of about 500 tabs ;)
on my home PC that's even more.

Also I'm using my boards for gaming, file storage and compiling games and programs for ODROIDs.

If I play games on my system, I don't want to fill my RAM with useless data like logs, or browser cache or other stuff, some of the games I play use 1.3 GB RAM or more and use quite a bit of texture memory for GPU as well, so I don't want to fill my RAM with background stuff, that can run on HDD as much as it wants as long as it doesn't bother me.
I don't care if a game takes 10 seconds to load or 15 seconds. Once data is in RAM it's in the RAM and I don't care about loading times anymore as the level I'm currently playing is in already loaded.
In fact some emulators even allow to load the entire image into the RAM (Playstation 1 emulator and some other) which can be quite handy at times IF you have the RAM.

File-Server for movies, games, etc:
Large sequential data; Means I don't care about random read or write performance, but if I rip a blue-ray disc with about 40GB and copy that from one partition to another, or use handbreak to convert it, I rather have constant 100 MB/sec write performance than eMMC with is much slower.
And once again: as soon as the OS is loaded it's running in memory all your Kernel and drivers sit in the memory if you want to support this you can even activate a cache program such as preload which will load and keep the drivers that you use the most constantly in ram/cache, what do you need random read/write for an OS that's just idle in the background anyway?
If the OS runs, it runs and doesn't constantly load something. It occasionally will write some logs and that's fine with me, nothing that would stress a HDD.
High random read helps to reduce the boot-time of the OS, or if you have a server with tons of tiny files (e.g. WebServer with several thousands .js or .css files) that need to be constantly loaded and are not cached.
If you DO NOT have any services running that need constant read or write of tiny chunks of data on your rootfs, what's the point of having fast random read/write for an OS that just sits and idles 99.9% of the time?

Compiling programs:
I compile tons of programs and games, and one of the most limiting factor in my work is lack of RAM. Compiling Chromium Browser for example can easily take 3-7 GB RAM only running on two threads (I don't even dare to use more than the minimum). As you know the ODROID only has 2GB RAM, and even with ZRAM you can't fit the entire code in RAM alone and SWAP on HDD is used as well, slowing down the process even more.
Putting logs, caches and whatever armbian does in the RAM for "optimization" would slow down me even more, much more, in worst case to a level where I can't even work anymore, cause there's too little RAM to begin with at all.
Or here's a nice example of Link Time Optimization for mame2014 if you have a hard time counting, that's about 5.5 GB of RAM that's used.
So believe me, putting more and more stuff in RAM is like the worst thing you can do in that case (although I understand not everyone does the same stuff I do).
It's true, that compiling would actually benefit from eMMC storage, as in that case random read/write are actually used quite often, but sadly the amount of data I'm currently using for all the software projects I have, is about 1TB, and even spread over several ODROIDs, that doesn't fit on any eMMC anymore ;)

Other issues:
Programs happen to run in a "unlucky" state, I know this from work, as I work for a software development company and our developers don't care much about logging, and it happens quite often, that programs run in a state where they log the same error code over and over again, sometimes as fast as the OS can write; filling our HDDs in no time with logs. Now imagine this is in a setup with logs only in memory.
Either you completely fill your RAM in a short amount of time until the system can't work anymore, or if you were intelligent enough to limit the size of your log folder in memory, the system will stop logging, causing some programs to stop working or crashing. Both is not desirable ;)

More infos about my setup:
My main ODROID (an XU3 running GameStationTurbo) which I use for all my tests of games, programs, and so on currently has a 200GB rootfs partition (too big for any eMMC), and NO, that does not include ROMS, these are actually mounted via network and is a partition of it's own on another ODROID and currently use about another 150GB in size.

here are some iozone infos about the HDD:
   Command line used: iozone -e -I -a -s 100M -r 4k -r 16k -r 512k -r 1024k -r 16384k -i 0 -i 1 -i 2
   Output is in kBytes/sec
   Time Resolution = 0.000001 seconds.
   Processor cache size set to 1024 kBytes.
   Processor cache line size set to 32 bytes.
   File stride size set to 17 * record size.
                                                              random    random     bkwd    record    stride                                   
              kB  reclen    write  rewrite    read    reread    read     write     read   rewrite      read   fwrite frewrite    fread  freread
          102400       4    10897    12938    13133    13332      506     1549                                                         
          102400      16    31101    36834    39311    40168     2080     6167                                                         
          102400     512    73443    83823    85266    82032    37572    57522                                                         
          102400    1024    81670    85593    94826    98024    53907    75954                                                         
          102400   16384    92388    99181    96908    96845    92905    98119                                                         

sadly the random read suffered a lot, due to a lot of abuse of the HDD, so tiny files (4k and 16k) are extremely slow, starting at 512K it's quite fast though.

For comparison on the same system my 64 GB eMMC that's still connected to the system:
   Command line used: iozone -e -I -a -s 100M -r 4k -r 16k -r 512k -r 1024k -r 16384k -i 0 -i 1 -i 2 -f /media/odroid/GameStationTurbo/test.file
   Output is in kBytes/sec
   Time Resolution = 0.000001 seconds.
   Processor cache size set to 1024 kBytes.
   Processor cache line size set to 32 bytes.
   File stride size set to 17 * record size.
                                                              random    random     bkwd    record    stride                                   
              kB  reclen    write  rewrite    read    reread    read     write     read   rewrite      read   fwrite frewrite    fread  freread
          102400       4     4057     4056     9596     9401     9880     3149                                                         
          102400      16     6839     6770    26421    26731    28056     6567                                                         
          102400     512    48132    52348   116821   119011   113687    48458                                                         
          102400    1024    51499    56040   141933   140928   137685    52174                                                         
          102400   16384    58974    60150   179162   190544   193768    59275                                                         

The eMMC test shows also nicely that larger eMMC are faster than the smaller ones. a "new" 16GB eMMC as seen on the link you gave above maxes at 145 MB/sec, this "older" 64GB eMMC maxes at 193 MB/sec.
Aside from that, if you compare the values you can see at 4 and 16K the eMMC is indeed faster, although ONLY in random read and write.
After that, the HDD wins in random write (yep HDD is faster in random writing than eMMC), while the eMMC still beats it in random read (which is expected).

You might wonder why it looks so different compared to the tests on the site of armbian, where the 16GB eMMC seems to be faster.
eMMC do have a higher wear level than HDD do, and my eMMC is about 1-2 years old, and for that suffered some wearing. It would be even worse if I had not done some fstrim first on eMMC, which improves performance quite a bit.
Without regular fstrim your eMMC performance will drop to about original 50% speed rather quickly.
But they don't tell you that on their tests either ;)

eMMC excels in random read, aside from that a regular HDD will probably always beat a eMMC.
So yes, for fastest boot up time, and to access tons of tiny files like for webserver, or maybe for database server, eMMC might be much better than a HDD, for other purposes, not so much.

And here's another crazy idea... Since you already have a Cloudshell 2 and can connect 2 HDDs anyway, how about using a SSD for the OS and a large HDD for lots of data, that way you outperform the eMMC is all fields ;)
meveric

Unread postby trohn_javolta » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:16 pm

I meant to say "... if one is using armbian..".
The crazy idea isn't gonna happen since I haven't got a Cloudshell 2 or XU4, after reading throught this https://forum.armbian.com/topic/3953-preview-generate-omv-images-for-sbc-with-armbian/?tab=comments#comment-32340
I reconsidered. I'm gonna wait for the HC2 and will use just one hdd.
trohn_javolta

Unread postby meveric » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:05 pm

A lot of blah blah and wining.. I got tired reading it rather quickly.. lots of these complains are known issues for years and are documented, or common sense.
The board layout and how the USB ports are connected is documented in the board description and as he said, USB hub always slows things down.
Connecting two HDDs to the cloudshell 2 is only connected through one USB port, so the cloudshell itself acts already as a hub in a certain way.

He also says, that the combination of 2 SSDs together is slower than a single disk. That a SSD is faster than the USB 3.0 port, and that RAID adds overhead to the system, as now two drives need to be synced all the time should actually be common sense, but looking at standard HDD which are not faster than the USB 3.0 port, this can actually look quite a bit different.
If a standard HDD only can write at 100 MB/sec and in a RAID 0 suddenly can do 150 MB/sec wouldn't you say you benefit from that?

Also all that bullshit about maximum speed and you loose speed and so on.. what's the point of that. Do you really need 300MB/sec transfer speed? The Gigabit LAN has a maximum of 125 MB/sec, and will never reach that in normal scenarios anyway.

I have a couple Cloudshell 1 running for over a year by now and they are also connected via a USB cable similar to the Cloudshell 2 and NO I do not constantly loose connections to the HDD as it seems to be portrait in that article (neither does my Cloudshell 2 by the way).

Sure some people have issues even the XU4 is not perfect and here and there are reports that one of them doesn't boot up or a USB port is broken and so on. Does that mean the entire product is broken?

Some of the ODROIDs I have are from 2012 and they still work perfectly fine.

Instead of reading posts about worst case scenarios and performance peaks and bullshit like that you should actually think about what your needs are.

You said earlier something about Torrents and Movies.
What amount of data is required to watch a movie? Certainly not 300MB/sec does it? Even if it would run at 30MB/sec that's probably much faster than ANY movie ever will be, 30MB/sec = 240Mbit data stream... most movies don't even go over 20Mbit.
Torrents? Is your internet that fast that you can deliver constantly 100MB/sec? So that the HDD could be "too slow" to transfer Torrents and at the same time do what ever you plan to do on the background?

Think about your usecase and what you actually need, instead of trying to get the highest possible speed, you'll never actually use.

I'd rather have 8TB storage at 70 MB/sec than 4 TB at 110MB/sec (cause LAN can't deliver faster anyway).
meveric

Unread postby trohn_javolta » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:19 pm

I'm looking at both sides here and appreciate the input.
For be as a beginner these issues explained in linked armbian thread aren't common sense.
They may be known to some but I couldn't really find them documented here (of course I hadn't got time to read through all of the threads).
Looking at explorer I just see that I archive now a speed of ~ 110 MB/s with wd my cloud (I now know that it's higher in windows explorer).
I'm just trying not to worsen this but maintain that speed +/-
Right now with one external hdd plugged into wd my cloud nas, this shows up as 2 different drives, I like to change that. Raid0 is out of question since I have 1x3tb and 1x6tb hdd and learned this would leave me with 3tb total.
Jbod seems better here. I don't need any backup, no important data. 3tb got full so I bought the 6tb nas (it was a good offer, but I don't like wd my cloud as nas, os is locked down kind of).
I don't need 9tb right now so this is 1st option for me.
Second option is sell 3tb hdd+enclosure, sell wd my cloud nas enclosure. Buy odroid HC2 and use it with 6tb hdd.
Now gaining some more info I generally feel like option 2 is more resistant to failures, cheaper (actually brings in money if I can sell the other stuff) and the HC1 will be supported longer than the XU4 I guess.
trohn_javolta

Unread postby meveric » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:19 pm

I don't think the HC1 will be supported longer than the XU4, on the contrary.
As the HC1 does not have HDMI and with that lacks any ability to output any signal, video, games, etc. it's only suitable for server applications.
The XU4 instead, can do the same as the HC1 + all the gaming and playing video that you want therefore is probably much more interesting for many customers.
Aside from that, since the XU4 and HC1 share the same SoC, they are both probably supported equally as you share the same Kernel and drivers anyway ;)

But yes, as I said, it's more important to get your priorities straighten out.
If you say you need the 110 MB/s speed for your NAS replacement, then certainly the HC1 or HC2 with a single disk is probably the better solution for you.
Generally I don't see any usecase where you constantly need that amount of speed, but I guess that's my point of view and does not need to reflect yours :)
meveric

Unread postby trohn_javolta » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:11 pm

I don't need that speed but it's nice to copy stuff fast from a nas to my desktop pc. Before buying a nas I thought to myself "I don't need that" but yeah..turns out it's nice :D
It's more about the storage..always the same: After buying 3tb hdd I thought "omg so much space I'm never gonna need that much"..well it's full. Now with 6tb I think the same...but with x265/hevc codec it's a different story, saves a lot of storage space. On the other hand you can never have too much storage :D
You're probably right about the support. I don't really need video output, I stay with my S905X box, it can hw decode 1080p 10bit x265/hevc encoded videos.
trohn_javolta

Unread postby meden » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:30 am

meveric wrote:
libavcodec56 (>= 10:2.6.8)

and the others are packages from deb-multimedia, which is part of my images, but on your image it only sees packages from default Debian repository.

Hello, I run Debian Jessie on U3. There is any chance to have retroarch-odroid (and all related packages, if applies) built against official Debian packages? deb-multimedia repository is quite controversial and is known for causing issues.

Thanks for your great work.
meden

languages_spoken: italian, english, spanish
ODROIDs: U3+

Unread postby meveric » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:37 am

Not at the moment, but maybe with the next version I can try building it against Debian Jessie backports.
"Official packages" from Debian Jessie is actually a very old version 0.11 which is from early 2014 and not very compatible with many programs nowadays.
While deb-multimedia offered 2.6.x for Debian Jessie, which was needed for many different programs that would not work with 0.11.
Only when Debian Stretch got closer to release Debian Jessie got a backport of ffmpeg 3.x which is available in Jessie-Backports which is "somewhat" unstable as well and not as well maintained.

Even if I would switch to Debian Jessie Backports, that would mean you would have to install/update it with apt-get install/update -t jessie-backports or else it wouldn't even install it, which is very inconvenient for users with little Linux knowledge.
meveric

Unread postby meden » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:30 am

meveric wrote:Even if I would switch to Debian Jessie Backports, that would mean you would have to install/update it with apt-get install/update -t jessie-backports or else it wouldn't even install it, which is very inconvenient for users with little Linux knowledge.

Which is exactly one of the main criticism against DebMultimedia: it breaks the Debian installation... :) So, I know, hard decision: keep a controversial third party repository (that could easily break the installation) or put users in an unpleasant situation, meaning the need of a manual intervention to keep the system properly updated? Personally, I would get rid of DeMultimedia...

One way to do it (although I'm just putting a random idea here, not verified):
[list=]
[*]Setup a package with Odroid's sources.list.d and PGP signatures: this would avoid the manual setup to add (and maintain) the repositories in the first place. The sources should not contain DebMultimedia, of course.
[*]Rebuild packages against Debian Backports libav* with a strict versioned dependencies (which would be the version in backports, obviously). This would "break" the update, forcing the user to manually solve dependencies because of needed "downgrade". An option to avoid that (I don't know if it is viable) could be to install an apt/preferences.d/odroid-pinning file with libav* priorities high enough to force a "downgrade" of dependencies. This should be somehow transitional.
[/list]
meden

Unread postby meveric » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:13 am

meden wrote:Which is exactly one of the main criticism against DebMultimedia: it breaks the Debian installation... :)

But at the same time it makes installation POSSIBLE that were previously NOT available.
By default Debian Jessie only came with a couple libav* libraries that were outdated YEARS ago, and some packages did not exist at all. For example ffmpeg did not exist at all under Debian Jessie.
So there's tons of software that would have not been able to work on Debian only relying on Debian's repository.
In fact even the Debian Backports repository is NOT part of a default installation of Debian and needs to be added manually.
It also breaks packages as well, even under x86/amd64 Debian backports more than once broke different packages as it's considered "unstable".
This would have caused all kinds of issues, and the last 2-3 years we would have missed out of many different programs and games cause of this reason as no recent version of ffmpeg and libav* was available at that time.

meden wrote:So, I know, hard decision: keep a controversial third party repository (that could easily break the installation) or put users in an unpleasant situation, meaning the need of a manual intervention to keep the system properly updated?

It's not really an issue, as deb-multimedia does not necessarily break anything. Especially libav* are installed in different folders than official Debian packages, which makes it easy to install both at the same time, given that the dependencies are set correctly.
I use this for example to run Chromium 53 which depends on libav* > 3.0

meden wrote:Personally, I would get rid of DeMultimedia...

You are free to do that, but I won't do this on my current images, as many packages depend on drivers only available in deb-multimedia and not found in Debian repositories.
Some of which even had to be backported from deb-multimedia for Debian Stretch to get things to work on Debian Jessie.
You seem to look at Deb-Multimedia and Debian Backports as it is RIGHT NOW, but you should consider, that the current state is not what it was like 2-3 years ago, when Debian Stretch did not exists and backports were missing many drivers only available in deb-multimedia at that time.

meden wrote:One way to do it (although I'm just putting a random idea here, not verified):
  • Setup a package with Odroid's sources.list.d and PGP signatures: this would avoid the manual setup to add (and maintain) the repositories in the first place. The sources should not contain DebMultimedia, of course.

Possible, but rather unnecessary. The package lists do not change during lifetime, so there's no point in doing this.
Any config changes I want to setup I can force through setup-odroid if necessary.
meden wrote:
  • Rebuild packages against Debian Backports libav* with a strict versioned dependencies (which would be the version in backports, obviously).

Possible, but that would be a lot of work for no reason aside from getting rid of a perfectly fine working solution. You seem to forget that we're not talking about ONE single application, but about several dozens if not hundreds that might be affected of this. All of which work fine right now with drivers from deb-multimedia, and the only reason doing this for you not to see Deb-Multimedia being used? No, I don't think that's something I want to do, as this is in no way beneficial in any way.
meden wrote:This would "break" the update, forcing the user to manually solve dependencies because of needed "downgrade".

Something that not every user is able to to, while the current solution works perfectly fine even for beginners that do know very little about Linux.
meden wrote:An option to avoid that (I don't know if it is viable) could be to install an apt/preferences.d/odroid-pinning file with libav* priorities high enough to force a "downgrade" of dependencies.

Priorities can be used to avoid installation of packages in a higher versions (as it's done with debian backports) but not to force a downgrade.
In fact, the former is something that I've already considered to use in my next images, using a priority for deb-multimedia that is even lower than debian backports, so that it's only installed if absolutely needed.
meveric

Unread postby meden » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:20 pm

meveric wrote:
meden wrote:Which is exactly one of the main criticism against DebMultimedia: it breaks the Debian installation... :)

But at the same time it makes installation POSSIBLE that were previously NOT available.
By default Debian Jessie only came with a couple libav* libraries that were outdated YEARS ago, and some packages did not exist at all. For example ffmpeg did not exist at all under Debian Jessie.
So there's tons of software that would have not been able to work on Debian only relying on Debian's repository.

Yes, it has been all about ffmpeg/libav war, finally "won" by ffmpeg after a period of "confusion"... BTW, libav was a (nearly) drop-in replacement for ffmpeg, so the software could be compiled against libav (in theory).

meveric wrote:In fact even the Debian Backports repository is NOT part of a default installation of Debian and needs to be added manually.
It also breaks packages as well, even under x86/amd64 Debian backports more than once broke different packages as it's considered "unstable".

Well, of course it is not part of a default installation, but it is an official repository and it strictly follows Debian policy (DebMultimedia does not). Clearly, has to be used with care, as packages from it are not installed automatically unless you set appropriate pinning (and that could affect pulling in dependencies). And anyway now things about ffmpeg are different.

meveric wrote:
meden wrote:So, I know, hard decision: keep a controversial third party repository (that could easily break the installation) or put users in an unpleasant situation, meaning the need of a manual intervention to keep the system properly updated?

It's not really an issue, as deb-multimedia does not necessarily break anything. Especially libav* are installed in different folders than official Debian packages, which makes it easy to install both at the same time, given that the dependencies are set correctly.
I use this for example to run Chromium 53 which depends on libav* > 3.0

Well, there are several bugs about that and I have a personal experience of breakage. And it also breaks upgrades to a new Debian version, due to epoch used in versioning (because of which a newer version in Debian official would be seen older than a "really older" version in d-m).

meveric wrote:
meden wrote:Personally, I would get rid of DeMultimedia...

You are free to do that, but I won't do this on my current images, as many packages depend on drivers only available in deb-multimedia and not found in Debian repositories.
Some of which even had to be backported from deb-multimedia for Debian Stretch to get things to work on Debian Jessie.
You seem to look at Deb-Multimedia and Debian Backports as it is RIGHT NOW, but you should consider, that the current state is not what it was like 2-3 years ago, when Debian Stretch did not exists and backports were missing many drivers only available in deb-multimedia at that time.

Already did that... :)
I'm sure you had no other choice then (and you did a great work, of which I'm an happy user), but I was just pointing that going forward making your distribution more "Debian streamlined" and thus more flexible could be worth the effort (and ease future maintenance).

meveric wrote:
meden wrote:One way to do it (although I'm just putting a random idea here, not verified):
  • Setup a package with Odroid's sources.list.d and PGP signatures: this would avoid the manual setup to add (and maintain) the repositories in the first place. The sources should not contain DebMultimedia, of course.

Possible, but rather unnecessary. The package lists do not change during lifetime, so there's no point in doing this.
Any config changes I want to setup I can force through setup-odroid if necessary.

Of course. You could even build everything from scratch :). I was just giving Debian-way to do it. After all, your distribution is a derivative and I think it could benefit from using Debian tools.

meveric wrote:
meden wrote:
  • Rebuild packages against Debian Backports libav* with a strict versioned dependencies (which would be the version in backports, obviously).

Possible, but that would be a lot of work for no reason aside from getting rid of a perfectly fine working solution. You seem to forget that we're not talking about ONE single application, but about several dozens if not hundreds that might be affected of this. All of which work fine right now with drivers from deb-multimedia, and the only reason doing this for you not to see Deb-Multimedia being used? No, I don't think that's something I want to do, as this is in no way beneficial in any way.

You're taking it personally, while it is not, and I'm sorry I was misunderstood. It's not about me (or you).

meveric wrote:
meden wrote:An option to avoid that (I don't know if it is viable) could be to install an apt/preferences.d/odroid-pinning file with libav* priorities high enough to force a "downgrade" of dependencies.

Priorities can be used to avoid installation of packages in a higher versions (as it's done with debian backports) but not to force a downgrade.
In fact, the former is something that I've already considered to use in my next images, using a priority for deb-multimedia that is even lower than debian backports, so that it's only installed if absolutely needed.

Well, that's not true: setting priority >1000 would force a downgrade of dependencies (and in fact is the way to clean-up and realign mixed distributions).

BTW, mine was just an idea.

A question: could you upload in your repository source packages also? I'd like to try rebuilding them using Debian backports. I'm already trying to backport retroarch from Stretch, but packages in Debian are different from yours (there are no single packaged plugins) and I'm not sure you did not configured/patched specifically for Odroid.

Thank you!
meden

Unread postby Bernini » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:05 am

Hey guys. I've been running my XU4 as an MPD server for a while and very happy with it. I wanted to switch from the 3.10 kernel to 4.9 (which I did, with a few hiccups), but I'm not getting any sound out of the HDMI connector (which worked fine with 3.10). I checked in on IRC (#hardkernel) and someone suggested the following patches might need applying to get HDMI audio working on 4.9 (if they have not been applied yet)?

https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-sam ... 61077.html
https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-sam ... 61161.html

Meveric, is this a known issue? I've googled for the XU3/4 and HDMI (audio) issues with kernel 4.9 for a few hours but not much has turned up. Aplay -L only lists odroid-snd, vout is set to 'hdmi' in /boot/boot.ini.

Thanks for your hard work!
Bernini

languages_spoken: english, french, italian
ODROIDs: Odroid XU4

Unread postby meveric » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:36 pm

meden wrote:Yes, it has been all about ffmpeg/libav war, finally "won" by ffmpeg after a period of "confusion"... BTW, libav was a (nearly) drop-in replacement for ffmpeg, so the software could be compiled against libav (in theory).

Even in the Link you posted it says:
  • Why is FFmpeg needed in Debian?
    • Some applications break when built against Libav on Debian, because they are developed using FFmpeg
As I said the packages available in Debian Jessie were not working for many applications and deb-multimedia was required to compile them at all.

meden wrote:Clearly, has to be used with care, as packages from it are not installed automatically unless you set appropriate pinning (and that could affect pulling in dependencies).

Actually the default pinning for deb-multimedia is 500 the same as for the default Debian repositoryies. Packages ARE installed automatically cause of this, and replace the packages from Debian.
That is probably what is your issues with it in the first place, that deb-multimedia is installed automatically even if you don't want it.

meden wrote:And anyway now things about ffmpeg are different.

Exactly "NOW" but not when I needed the packages to create the software.

meden wrote:Well, there are several bugs about that and I have a personal experience of breakage.

I've been using deb-multimedia for several years and I did not experience any breakages, it's more difficult if you want to compile against another version of libav* packages, that's true, but as you can install the packages side by side, it does not break anything. But I guess our usecases are different and I can imagine it may break things.

meden wrote:And it also breaks upgrades to a new Debian version, due to epoch used in versioning (because of which a newer version in Debian official would be seen older than a "really older" version in d-m).

Actually not, if you update deb-multimedia as well, it will also update all packages from deb-multimedia to newer versions. Deb-Multimedia does have repos for all Debian versions as well, parallel to the official Debian development.

meden wrote:Already did that... :)
I'm sure you had no other choice then (and you did a great work, of which I'm an happy user), but I was just pointing that going forward making your distribution more "Debian streamlined" and thus more flexible could be worth the effort (and ease future maintenance).

I agree, but that won't help Debian Jessie, as it already has too many packages that rely on deb-multimedia. And as I said, in Debian Stretch it can easily be helped by setting a pinning lower than Debian Backports.

meden wrote:You're taking it personally, while it is not, and I'm sorry I was misunderstood. It's not about me (or you).

I'm not taking it personally, but I'm the only maintainer here and for me it's a matter of priority, I don't have the time nor resources, to recompile everything just to make one person happy.
Especially as it does not give any benefit to the packages already in existing.
As ffmpeg goes through a lot of changes, I would probably have to rewrite several programs to comply with new parameters and syntax in ffmpeg 3.x libraries. This is a lot of work and I simply don't have the time for it, especially since the current setup is working perfectly fine and there's no "real reason" except of what you said "be more debian style". There are tons of developers at the Debian project, and I'm just ONE guy trying to get as much as possible to work on ODROIDs.
Therefore I have to priorities and I don't see any benefit of your suggestion that would justify the huge amount of work for me.
If you want to call this personal, then please do, as I am the only one working on this.

meden wrote:Well, that's not true: setting priority >1000 would force a downgrade of dependencies (and in fact is the way to clean-up and realign mixed distributions).

That would require to set jessie-backports to 1000 a repository that by default is set to 100 and with that is BELOW default Debian repositories. As Debian Backport repositories are not considered stable either, this is a very bad idea, as you would replace hundreds of packages from Debian with their backport packages. It's very very likely that you break stuff with this. I see this happen all the time at work.

meden wrote:A question: could you upload in your repository source packages also?

Sadly I can't my internet connection is not the fastest and I have several hundred GB of sourcecode of different projects I'm working on.
And most of the time it's just a straight recompile where you simply build the binaries with the correct parameters straight from the official sources, so no magic at all.
Once again, I have too little time to handle more than what I'm already doing, and the extra work would slow me down even more, especially since often there's no build system and I write my own installer or use plain old checkinstall to create packages. I have a github repo were I upload software that I needed to change so others can use the changes as well, but once again, as sad as it is, I can't do all at once and I have to make cuts here and there and source packages is one of the cuts.

meden wrote:I'd like to try rebuilding them using Debian backports.

Normally it's just a matter of getting them from the online sources and recompile them. It's most of the time the same that I do.
meden wrote:I'm already trying to backport retroarch from Stretch, but packages in Debian are different from yours (there are no single packaged plugins) and I'm not sure you did not configured/patched specifically for Odroid.

Once again, Debian Stretch did not exist when I created the packages, so why do you think the packages would be the same as in Debian Stretch?
I'm using libreto github repository and also pull retroarch from there. I did not make any changes to the code, it's just a matter of compiling it against OpenGL ES. It's actually straight forward.
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:54 pm

Bernini wrote:Hey guys. I've been running my XU4 as an MPD server for a while and very happy with it. I wanted to switch from the 3.10 kernel to 4.9 (which I did, with a few hiccups), but I'm not getting any sound out of the HDMI connector (which worked fine with 3.10). I checked in on IRC (#hardkernel) and someone suggested the following patches might need applying to get HDMI audio working on 4.9 (if they have not been applied yet)?

https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-sam ... 61077.html
https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-sam ... 61161.html

Question regarding Kernel should be forwarded directly to HardKernel, as they maintain the Kernel repository mabye the patches can improve something, but I think they should be already part of it.

Bernini wrote:Meveric, is this a known issue? I've googled for the XU3/4 and HDMI (audio) issues with kernel 4.9 for a few hours but not much has turned up.

Whch should show you it's not really an known issue. I have a setup with Kernel 4.9 as well and sound is working perfectly fine. HardKernel even releases their Main Ubuntu image including with Kernel 4.9 and 95% of all users probably use it at least for a little while, so any sound issue and missing patches would have been noticed a long time ago in my opinion.
It could be unique to this image though, or an issue directly connected with ALSA, as most people simply use pulseaudio for the desktop.
Can you try renaming /etc/asound.conf and restart the ODROID to see if that helps anything?

Bernini wrote:Aplay -L only lists odroid-snd, vout is set to 'hdmi' in /boot/boot.ini.

Having only odroid-snd is "normal" under Kernel 4.9 It's the same on my image and still sound over HDMI works perfectly fine.

I just did a quick test both with alsa and pulse and couldn't find any issues with it. I'm using my GameStationTurbo image for it and both (pulse and alsa) was working fine under Kernel 4.9.
meveric

Unread postby Bernini » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:04 pm

Thanks, in the meantime I found out the necessary bits and bolts (MAX98090 ASoC) were indeed enabled in 4.9. I removed /etc/asound.conf, and that seems to have done the trick.

Vielen Dank :)

Edit: after I read here that upgrading to Stretch was as easy as replacing the entries in /etc/apt/sources.list, I took the plunge and am now running an all-Stretch Odroid XU4. I am one happy camper 8-)
Bernini

languages_spoken: english, french, italian
ODROIDs: Odroid XU4

Unread postby niecke » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:25 am

First of all great work meveric, but after I had installed LXDE and rebooted the HDMI display has no signal anymore.
I can still connect to the device via SSH and I see some lightdm processes running, but I have no idea why there is no HDMI signal even on a clean install.

Has anyone an idea? Maybe some logs that could help?
niecke

Unread postby meveric » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:38 pm

How did you install LXDE? Did you use setup-odroid?
meveric

Unread postby unknown » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:29 am

Meveric, do you have a image Debian with 4.9 kernel for XU4? Please give me. Or how jump from last Ubuntu with kernel 4.9 to Debian(how install Debian from Ubuntu)?
Thanks!
unknown

ODROIDs: xu4

Unread postby meveric » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:48 am

I do not have a Kernel 4.9 image, but you can install the Kernel 4.9 rather easy by simply using the following commands:
# make sure the image is fully updated:
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
# install Kernel 4.9
apt-get install linux-image-4.9-armhf-odroid-xu3 linux-headers-4.9-armhf-odroid-xu3

When asked if you want to STOP the removal of the active Kernel please answer with "NO".
There's also 4.14 available instead of Kernel 4.9.

You can not switch from Ubuntu to Debian that's not possible.
You have to flash a new image for that.
meveric

Unread postby TrevorH » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:50 am

You can not switch from Ubuntu to Debian that's not possible.

Don't know about that, I just did that on an hc1. Remove sdcard from odroid and insert in another machine. Shrink the filesystem on partition 2 to say 6G then shrink the partition to match. Create a new partition in the empty space, format it. Reboot odroid from sdcard into ubuntu, mount partition 3 on /mnt, run `debootstrap stable /mnt http://deb.debian.org/debian` then go get coffee. Fix up fstab/resolv.conf/etc/network/interfaces on new filesystem. Make a note of the non-comment contents of /media/boot/boot.ini and the uuid of your new partition. Reboot and press enter twice in quick succession to get a u-boot prompt then paste across the contents of boot.ini changing only the uuid in the setenv bootrootfs line. If it boots then you can fix up /media/boot/boot.ini so that it boots Debian by default. Install all the missing bits and otherwise customise as required.
TrevorH

Unread postby meveric » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:59 am

What you describe is not a software update/installation to overwrite packages from Ubuntu with packages from Debian, but a complete new installation of Debian.
And that''s (in my opinion) rather stupid.. Instead of doing something like that you could simply flash Debian and be done with it.
meveric

Unread postby phrixos » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:52 am

I just wanted to say thank you for this. I got my XU4 setup yesterday with the default Linux image on the eMMC card and after running the dist-upgrade like the "Getting Started" guide recommended the mouse cursor started lagging like crazy and nothing I tried could get it back to normal.

I flashed your image to a micro SD card and installed LXDE and now everything is working great.
phrixos

Unread postby meveric » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:58 am

You're welcome.. Always glad if everything works :)
meveric

Previous

Return to Other OS