[OS] Debian Jessie

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: [OS] Debian Jessie

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:13 am

ntp should be preinstalled and should set the time accordingly if you have internet connetion.
I would advice against using other tools like ntpdate or timedatectl since they most likely conflict with NTP.
If you're using the image just as a server using dpkg-reconfigure tzdata should be fine, maybe just do a service ntp restart to force a resync of the time.
But aside from that you probably have nothing to do.
If you're using a Desktop such as MATE you might have to check on the settings of your desktop since they may overwrite the time you get from system.
Just typing "date" in a terminal should always show you the current time and timezone you operate in, no matter what the desktop shows.

If you don't have an internet connection it can be a little tricky since I don't know if hwclock is storing the time properly.
I know that by default NTP writes the current time and date to hwclock when you reboot or turn off your device, so the last set time will be pushed in the RTC, so if the time on your system is already wrong, turning off the device will store the wrong time as well.

If you use wireless connection and don't have internet when booting up, ntp might be somewhat slow and can take everything between 2mins to 1hr until time is synct. Restarting ntp when you have internet connection can speed this up.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby ChicoDeGoma » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:26 am

Hi Mav! If you don't mind me retaking the backports topic, I was researching my options to fix my LXC issues, when I hit a LXC mod saying this:

Code: Select all
Please note that LXC upstream strongly recommends 1.0 users to upgrade to the 2.0 LTS release.
The 1.0 branch will keep being supported until June 2019, but at this point,
only critical bugfixes and security updates will be backported.

I tried to check which one of them was more updated but I got confusing information. Should I assume that if a program staff recomends to upgrade the version, that would be better cared thus it will receive better or at least faster patches? Thanks! I'm very new trying to understand packages beyond "apt-get install"
ChicoDeGoma

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:56 am

ChicoDeGoma wrote:I tried to check which one of them was more updated but I got confusing information.

Currently available on Debian Jessie:
apt-cache policy lxc
lxc:
  Installiert:           (keine)
  Installationskandidat: 1:1.0.6-6+deb8u6
  Versionstabelle:
     1:2.0.7-2~bpo8+1 0
        100 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports/main armhf Packages
     1:1.0.6-6+deb8u6 0
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ jessie/main armhf Packages
     1:1.0.6-6+deb8u2 0
        500 http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates/main armhf Packages

Means, on default repository of Debian Jessie you have version 1.0.6 which will get security patches as soon as they come out and the Debian Maintainer put them into the package.
On Debian Backports (backported from Debian Stretch) there is version 2.0.7 currently.. this one won't get updated that often, since it's just a backport and Debian Stretch is the official "Stable" release right now the "backports" for Debian Jessie won't be updated that often.
The most recent version and the one with the most frequent updates right now is probably directly from Debian Stretch.

ChicoDeGoma wrote:Should I assume that if a program staff recomends to upgrade the version, that would be better cared thus it will receive better or at least faster patches?

No, not at all. For example if you manually install a newer version, you will have a static version and won't get any patches or updates at all.
That's why it's always best to stick with the packages provided by the distro, since the Distro Maintainers (Debian and Ubuntu) have security teams that make sure the packages always have the latest security patches.
They will also backport security patches from newer versions to older versions where this is possible.

If you want the newest version and best support, you probably have to upgrade to Debian Stretch, or stick with the packages available on Debian Jessie, even if they are older.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby ChicoDeGoma » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:37 pm

Ooooh, I think I got it better now. Being a backport doesn't mean it will behave as the main version of the next distro. I mean, they're the Stretch binaries (ported) but as they're not going into main it won't behave the same. Right?

I don't mind upgrading to Stretch but your Debian isn't ready for Stretch in XU4, right?

It is only 1.0.6 has some weird behaviors on Debian and has issues with cgroups. I would like to stick with main packages (mostly for all the reasons you said) but I also want to protect my system.
ChicoDeGoma

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:47 pm

ChicoDeGoma wrote:Ooooh, I think I got it better now. Being a backport doesn't mean it will behave as the main version of the next distro. I mean, they're the Stretch binaries (ported) but as they're not going into main it won't behave the same. Right?[/quote}
Yes that's right :)

ChicoDeGoma wrote:I don't mind upgrading to Stretch but your Debian isn't ready for Stretch in XU4, right?

I have a couple items already available for Stretch, but I haven't tested everything yet. If you don't use a Desktop, and don't need 3D it's probably save to switch to Stretch.
It's mostly applications that need to be ported to Debian Stretch at this point.

ChicoDeGoma wrote:It is only 1.0.6 has some weird behaviors on Debian and has issues with cgroups. I would like to stick with main packages (mostly for all the reasons you said) but I also want to protect my system.

I can't help you with that. I'm not very familiar with LXC as it is.
meveric

Unread postby dominic » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:11 pm

Hello meveric,

are you sure ntp is insalled by default? I thing I was able to install it... Anyway, I removed it (and deleted the /etc/ntp.conf) and reinstalled it. Sadly the conf file is not automatically re-created. I used a sample but it doesn't work. No logs nor nothing. May I ask for a sample that should work? Also 'ntpdate' is an unknown command, shouldn't that be available?
dominic

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:38 pm

dominic wrote:Hello meveric,

are you sure ntp is insalled by default?

Yes I install it by default on all my images (at least it should be).

dominic wrote:I thing I was able to install it... Anyway, I removed it (and deleted the /etc/ntp.conf) and reinstalled it. Sadly the conf file is not automatically re-created. I used a sample but it doesn't work. No logs nor nothing. May I ask for a sample that should work?

# /etc/ntp.conf, configuration for ntpd; see ntp.conf(5) for help

driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift

# Enable this if you want statistics to be logged.
#statsdir /var/log/ntpstats/

statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable

# You do need to talk to an NTP server or two (or three).
#server ntp.your-provider.example

# pool.ntp.org maps to about 1000 low-stratum NTP servers.  Your server will
# pick a different set every time it starts up.  Please consider joining the
# pool: <http://www.pool.ntp.org/join.html>
server 0.debian.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 1.debian.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 2.debian.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 3.debian.pool.ntp.org iburst

# Access control configuration; see /usr/share/doc/ntp-doc/html/accopt.html for
# details.  The web page <http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/AccessRestrictions>
# might also be helpful.
#
# Note that "restrict" applies to both servers and clients, so a configuration
# that might be intended to block requests from certain clients could also end
# up blocking replies from your own upstream servers.

# By default, exchange time with everybody, but don't allow configuration.
restrict -4 default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noquery
restrict -6 default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noquery

# Local users may interrogate the ntp server more closely.
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict ::1

# Clients from this (example!) subnet have unlimited access, but only if
# cryptographically authenticated.
#restrict 192.168.123.0 mask 255.255.255.0 notrust

# If you want to provide time to your local subnet, change the next line.
# (Again, the address is an example only.)
#broadcast 192.168.123.255

# If you want to listen to time broadcasts on your local subnet, de-comment the
# next lines.  Please do this only if you trust everybody on the network!
#disable auth
#broadcastclient

Make sure /etc/default/ntp is present as well and has NTPD_OPTS='-g' in it.

dominic wrote:Also 'ntpdate' is an unknown command, shouldn't that be available?

No, since ntp and ntpdate don't really get along with each other, these are separate packages.
You need to install it first apt-get install ntpdate but then again, I wouldn't use it ntp is much better.

I just did some testing on one of my systems and had some strange behavior with ntp as well.
service ntp start did not work, the service was not starting, but using systemctl start ntp.service worked fine.
You can check it with
ntpq -p
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
==============================================================================
+ns1.blazing.de  213.172.96.14    2 u    -   64   17   39.825   -5.930   3.553
-s1.vlns.de      150.23.58.210    3 u    1   64   17   44.531   -9.358   2.541
+y.ns.gin.ntt.ne 249.224.99.213   2 u   65   64    7   39.836   -6.522   3.217
*ntp1.rrze.uni-e .DCFp.           1 u    -   64   17   49.060   -4.601   4.903

it shows you the server it's in sync with
meveric

Unread postby dominic » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:15 pm

One step closer. I have everything as you recommend but still get that:
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
==============================================================================
 192.168.178.1   .INIT.          16 u    -   64    0    0.000    0.000   0.000

The IP is the one from my old router, the one here as a different one. Any idea what I might have to adjust?
dominic

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:34 pm

Well, apparently it's configured to load the time from that server, I'm not sure why.
That's what normally stands in the /etc/ntp.conf

what you could try is to purge every time (ntp) related packages you installed and configured including ntp and then install it again.

With apt-get purge <package> you completely remove an application including all it's config files.
If you reinstall it after that, everything should be reset to it's default again.

Another issue could be your router itself. Maybe the DHCP server of your Router advertises a NTP server as well and that overrides the values in the /etc/ntp.conf (I'm not sure about that).
So you might have to disable that option on your router to avoid this.
meveric

Unread postby dominic » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:49 pm

purge helped, my odroid arrived in the past :) Thank you!
dominic

Unread postby omcdr » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:32 pm

I have CDC USB device, I see it as /dev/ttyACM0.
With Raspberry or Win7 it works correctly, I can send command and see results, but with Odroid in minicom/picocom I see only first character on command typing.
For example cmd "help":
- minicom -D /dev/ttyACM0 and type help cmd - on screen I see only letter "h"
- exit from minicom type: Ctrl+A X
- run minicom again or other picocom - I see "elp" and help command results -next come back to point 1, see first char on next command

Minicom settings are the same(RPi), I have tested with different comm setting, disable/enable hw/sw flow controll.
Is there a issue in kernel or other settings ?
Do you have idea where is problem ?
omcdr

Unread postby meveric » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:09 pm

I personally don't know what could be the issue, but HardKernel (@odroid or @mdrjr) might have a clue what it could be.
Are you using USB 3.0 or USB 2.0? Have you tried switching?
meveric

Unread postby omcdr » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:20 pm

USB 2.0
omcdr

Unread postby meveric » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:47 pm

Well I really don't know about this.. Let's see what @odroid or others have to say to this.
meveric

Unread postby odroid » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:45 am

@omcdr,
Which USB device are you trying?
Our USB GPS receiver is also an ACM compatible device and it works out of the box.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby omcdr » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:03 pm

@odroid

It is custom device on STM32 Nucleo board. Similar to this: http://www.pezzino.ch/stm32-and-freertos-usb-communication/
I will check another ACM device.

Only one difference I see is the dmesg.
On working system Linux or RPi:
[68048.776768] usb 2-2.1: new full-speed USB device number 7 using uhci_hcd
[68049.083662] usb 2-2.1: New USB device found, idVendor=0483, idProduct=5740
[68049.083669] usb 2-2.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[68049.083672] usb 2-2.1: Product: ChibiOS/RT Virtual COM Port
[68049.083673] usb 2-2.1: Manufacturer: STMicroelectronics
[68049.083675] usb 2-2.1: SerialNumber: 400
[68049.087625] cdc_acm 2-2.1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

on odroid there is only:
[863068.717476] [c0] usb 2-1.2: new full-speed USB device number 41 using exynos-ohci
[863068.831844] [c0] cdc_acm 2-1.2:1.0: This device cannot do calls on its own. It is not a modem.
[863068.844379] [c0] cdc_acm 2-1.2:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
omcdr

Unread postby omcdr » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:31 pm

I have checked this device on Odroid-C2 with Debian Jessie (arm64), it is work correctly
[ 1915.163859] usb 1-1.4: new full-speed USB device number 5 using dwc_otg
[ 1915.268891] cdc_acm 1-1.4:1.0: This device cannot do calls on its own. It is not a modem.
[ 1915.271605] cdc_acm 1-1.4:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

lsub and usb-devices shows the same results.

The main difference is usb driver, on C2 is dwc_otg, on XU-4 is exynos-ohci.
Is it possible to build dwc_otg kernel module for XU-4 ?
omcdr

Unread postby odroid » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:49 pm

No. It is impossible because the USB host controller in Exynos AP is totally different from Amlogic.
Try to connect the device to the USB 3.0 ports on the XU4.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby omcdr » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:13 am

Device connected to USB3.0 port is working correctly with xhci-hcd driver.
In dmesg I have:
[952949.855650] [c0] usb 3-1.2.7: new full-speed USB device number 18 using xhci-hcd
[952949.883044] [c0] usb 3-1.2.7: ep 0x82 - rounding interval to 1024 microframes, ep desc says 2040 microframes
[952949.921889] [c0] cdc_acm 3-1.2.7:1.0: This device cannot do calls on its own. It is not a modem.
[952949.934818] [c0] cdc_acm 3-1.2.7:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

Is there a bug in exynos-ohci driver ?
omcdr

Unread postby odroid » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:08 am

I have no idea. Mass storage, WiFi, Bluetooth, Camera and other devices are working well with the XU4 USB 2.0 port.
You are the first person who reported the XU4 OHCI issue in the past two years as far as I remember.
It is really hard to know what causes the issue without a device can reproduce the issue.

Can you try other USB devices with USB 2.0 host?
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby mad_ady » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:46 pm

Can you try connecting with screen? screen /dev/ttyACM0 baudrate
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2

Unread postby omcdr » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:25 pm

Other devices are working correctly, I have tested mass storage and FTDI USB-Serial converter.
With screen is the same issue.
omcdr

Unread postby alackerm » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:30 pm

First of all thanks a lot meveric for your great work and the images!!

But the new filename 'Debian-Jessie-1.1.3-20170805-XU3+XU4.img.xz' including a "+" makes some trouble. I have implemented a setup server for my Odroid's that automatically downloads and extracts your images based on a bash script. Locally it still works but fails with the "+" in the filename using Ansible.
--> Would it be possible to remove the "+" in the filename or replace it with another character?
alackerm

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: XU4, C1, U3, XU3-Lite

Unread postby meveric » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:39 pm

Have you tried using double quotes or escaping the + with a backslash?
I can try using a different name the next time, but I'm not sure when there will be a next time.
meveric

Unread postby SoraWhiteDragon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:08 am

Hey guys,

when i run the command tasksel, i get the screen where i can decide what interface i want. When i choose any of them, tasksel just exits without doing anything... It's just doing NOTHING, when i press Enter after selecting MATE for example.

Any ideas what's wrong here?

Edit1:
Another problem came up. Now i tried setpud-odroid and installed the desktop MATE. After a long installation process it prompted me to reboot. After reboot there is still the console and no desktop running. When i use startx, it tells me that there was no desktop found.
SoraWhiteDragon

ODROIDs: Xu4

Unread postby meveric » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:36 am

can you check the size of the rootfs?
df -h

Could be there's an issue with the resize script I'm investigating.

Edit:
ok, I found there's a small typo in the setup-odroid script.. It ties to install at some point xf86-video-armsoc, but the package is actually called xf86-video-armsoc-odroid.
After that is installed desktop works fine. I'm gonna adapt the setup-odroid script and upload a new fixed version for that.

Not sure about the rootfs-resize though.
meveric

Unread postby SoraWhiteDragon » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:01 am

I'm using a 64 GB micro sd card

#df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mmcblk0p2   58G  481M   58G   1% /
udev             10M     0   10M   0% /dev
tmpfs           399M   12M  387M   3% /run
tmpfs           996M     0  996M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs           996M     0  996M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1   71M   20M   52M  28% /boot

Now it works. Its was as you said. i just typed
apt-get install xf86-video-armsoc-odroid
after the setup-odroid was done. My Desktop is now showing up.

But I've still got some questions.. I installed Kodi with
apt-get install kodi-odroid
and got the 16.1 kodi. I would like to have the newest one 17.3, but im not sure if it would be stable. Any ideas what i can do? (btw. im not experience in linux).
And.. my screen solution is 1080p preconfigured. The problem is, that my TV somehow doesnt support that resolution? I can't see the left and bottom side of my screen since the beginning. The interesting part here is, that im using a raspberry pi 3 with raspbian and my TV can show 1080p there. What can i do to fix that? I would like to have the 1080p resolution, but fit in my TV screen. Is it even possible on your debian image? :o
SoraWhiteDragon

Unread postby meveric » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:40 am

SoraWhiteDragon wrote:I would like to have the newest one 17.3, but im not sure if it would be stable. Any ideas what i can do? (btw. im not experience in linux).

with apt-get install -t jessie kodi-next-odroid you can install Kodi 17.3.
I personally don't like it.. Lots of people reporting all kind of issues and currently I don't have any addons for them, means you'll miss out on PVR support if you use it.
SoraWhiteDragon wrote:And.. my screen solution is 1080p preconfigured. The problem is, that my TV somehow doesnt support that resolution? I can't see the left and bottom side of my screen since the beginning. The interesting part here is, that im using a raspberry pi 3 with raspbian and my TV can show 1080p there. What can i do to fix that?

That's something called "Overscan" and is in fact an issue with your TV the signal the TV is getting is being cropped at the edges by the TV, although it should NOT do this.
It could be that your TV has a mode to correct this, check the aspect ratio settings of your TV. There where you can switch between 4:3 and 16:9 there's often another option:
Check this document https://books.google.de/books?id=SaeIDQ ... kQ6AEIIzAD it will tell you how to find this setting on your TV.
meveric

Unread postby SoraWhiteDragon » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:22 pm

That's something called "Overscan" and is in fact an issue with your TV the signal the TV is getting is being cropped at the edges by the TV, although it should NOT do this.
It could be that your TV has a mode to correct this, check the aspect ratio settings of your TV. There where you can switch between 4:3 and 16:9 there's often another option:
Check this document https://books.google.de/books?id=SaeIDQ ... kQ6AEIIzAD it will tell you how to find this setting on your TV.

Thanks! Worked like a charm! :D

I personally don't like it.. Lots of people reporting all kind of issues and currently I don't have any addons for them, means you'll miss out on PVR support if you use it.

I don't like the new theme in kodi 17, thats why I would just use the old one x) Is it just the missing PVR support or something else too? And are you planning to add it in the near future?
Im just thinking to use v17, because im scared of my addons getting outdated, haha. So it's fine for me to use v16 atm and upgrade to v17 in the near future :)
SoraWhiteDragon

Unread postby meveric » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:17 pm

SoraWhiteDragon wrote:Is it just the missing PVR support or something else too?

Some visual addons for music addons or such, but probably PVR is the only important one.
SoraWhiteDragon wrote:And are you planning to add it in the near future?

Not sure.. It's always quite complicated to make them all work at least the way I compile them and I'm rather busy at the moment with other tasks.
So "near future" I don't think so, but at some point I probably will.
SoraWhiteDragon wrote:Im just thinking to use v17, because im scared of my addons getting outdated, haha. So it's fine for me to use v16 atm and upgrade to v17 in the near future :)

I don't think plugins will stop working any time soon. Plugins are often backward compatible.
meveric

Unread postby SoraWhiteDragon » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:47 pm

Well, I've tested 16.1 Kodi on your debian now. Everything seems to work fine till now, except the "close" menu :/ When i try to close Kodi and it's fullscreen, the screen just hangs and nothing happens. Seems like kodi is hanging then. BUT when i go to the System settings in kodi (before kodi hangs xD) and change the screen to window, i can leave kodi properly by the X button in the right upper corner or through the quit menu "close". Any ideas how i can fix it, to leave kodi even in fullscreen? It's an important feature for my project! >-<
SoraWhiteDragon

Unread postby meveric » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:38 am

I know that this happens if you activate CEC for example.. Since there's an error in the CEC stack which causes CEC never to end and Kodi forever to wait on CEC, but generally it's hard to say why it's not working.
I made myself a shortcut on the keyboard CTRL + ALT + K which runs a short script which either starts or stops Kodi depending on if it's running or not. It uses a kill -9 command to force quit Kodi.
It seems that hanging Kodi is rather common -.-
meveric

Unread postby SoraWhiteDragon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:21 am

I know that this happens if you activate CEC for example.. Since there's an error in the CEC stack which causes CEC never to end and Kodi forever to wait on CEC, but generally it's hard to say why it's not working.
I made myself a shortcut on the keyboard CTRL + ALT + K which runs a short script which either starts or stops Kodi depending on if it's running or not. It uses a kill -9 command to force quit Kodi.
It seems that hanging Kodi is rather common -.-

Uhm.. can you share your script with us and how to implement it? It's a bit annoying to restart my odroid all the time.. cuz it also happens, when my odroid just logs out after some minutes and i have to login again. (maybe i should disable this xD).
Hmm.. maybe disabling CEC could help me too? (not sure where to do it)
SoraWhiteDragon

Unread postby meveric » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:43 pm

SoraWhiteDragon wrote:Uhm.. can you share your script with us and how to implement it? It's a bit annoying to restart my odroid all the time.. cuz it also happens, when my odroid just logs out after some minutes and i have to login again.

It's part of my ODDROID GameStation Turbo image and rather simple:
#!/bin/bash
if [ `ps aux | grep kodi.bin | grep -v grep | wc -l` -ge 1 ]; then
        killall -9 kodi.bin
else
        kodi
fi

I saved it under /usr/local/bin and just created a shortcut for it in Mate Desktop, that's all
SoraWhiteDragon wrote:Hmm.. maybe disabling CEC could help me too? (not sure where to do it)

I think it's in Peripheral settings of Kodi.
meveric

Previous

Return to Other OS