Crashes on HC1 with Ubuntu 20.04

sxa
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, N2, HC4, HC1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Crashes on HC1 with Ubuntu 20.04

Post by sxa »

I've recently purchased two new ODROID-HC1 units, and both are exhibiting the same problem with constant crashes at some point between a few minutes of use and a few hours when using the latest 20.04 image (20210928 with kernel 5.4.149-232 or 5.4.156-234 depending on upgrade status). I saw the report of crashes with some HC2 units in viewtopic.php?f=95&t=42997 but since this is happening with both of mine I've either been really unlucky or it's not related. The temperatures, as retrieved using /proc/... are not going above 80C when running a test that is pushing all 8 cores hard. In my most recent run it seemed to crash before it got anywhere near that (60-65) which leads me to believe it's not a thermal issue. It appears to be a full crash and not just a network outage as the process I had logging the temperature to the filesystem stops when it occurs. The workloads I'm pushing to it are coming from a jenkins CI server but I don't believe that would be in any way relevant.

Things I've tried unsuccessfully: Switching SD card, ethernet cable, running with and without an SSD

If I move the same SD card to an XU4 then it appears to run without crashing.

If I use the Ubuntu 18.04 image it does not appear to crash (Side note: I was a bit surprised that there didn't seem to be an 18.04-20.04 release upgrade offered as you normally would for Ubuntu, although the 20.04 image seemed to be trying to offer me the no-yet-released 22.04 if I wanted it)

Last thing I've tried is to run with a base version of the 20210112 Ubuntu 20.04 image. It appeared to work ok (running 5.4.87-218). I then rebooted it and then experienced a crash within about 20 minutes of loading it up (still running 5.4.87-218 so between the reboots the kernel had not be updated, so I may rewrite the card and run a soak-test pre-reboot to see if I was just lucky when it passed). Has this been experienced by anyone else?

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Re: Crashes on HC1 with Ubuntu 20.04

Post by mad_ady »

You can use do-release-upgrade to update from 18 to 20.

Regarding your crashes - do you have a serial adapter (1.8V) to follow the console messages?

sxa

Post by sxa »

mad_ady wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:37 pm
You can use do-release-upgrade to update from 18 to 20.
That's what I would normally expect but it seems to only want to upgrade to development versions ...
root@odroid-ssd:~# do-release-upgrade
Checking for a new Ubuntu release
There is no development version of an LTS available.
To upgrade to the latest non-LTS develoment release
set Prompt=normal in /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades.
root@odroid-ssd:~# head -5 /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=18.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=bionic
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS"
root@odroid-ssd:~#
mad_ady wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:37 pm
Regarding your crashes - do you have a serial adapter (1.8V) to follow the console messages?
Hmmm I have a couple of serial adapters that I use mostly on headless RISC-V boards - hadn't looked to see if the HC1 had the pins for that, but might be worth a shot ...

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

Make sure your uart is 1.8V. 3.3V will fry the hc1. If you only have 3.3V connect only gnd and TX (on the odroid side) to RX (uart side) and at least you can read the console log.

For upgrade, try running with -d.

sxa

Post by sxa »

mad_ady wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:10 am
Make sure your uart is 1.8V. 3.3V will fry the hc1. If you only have 3.3V connect only gnd and TX (on the odroid side) to RX (uart side) and at least you can read the console log.
Thanks for the heads-up. Hadn't realised that. I think mine is 3.3V. Once I found the HC1 connector pinout (wasn't that easy to find it!) I attached the two connectors but I'm not getting anything over the connection so far - just the odd garbled character (I'm connecting at 115200-8N1 which I believe is correct, and the kernel was started with "console=tty1 console=ttySAC2,115200n" which was there by default)
mad_ady wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:10 am
For upgrade, try running with -d.
No difference:
root@odroid-ssd:~# do-release-upgrade -d
Checking for a new Ubuntu release
There is no development version of an LTS available.
To upgrade to the latest non-LTS develoment release
set Prompt=normal in /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades.
root@odroid-ssd:~#
But that's not a major problem - only reason for wanting to try it was so that I can see if the upgrade behaved differently.

Extra info: I've rebooted after reflashing the SD card from Ubuntu 20.04 20210112 again and ONLY upgrading the kernel package on the image (Now at linux-odroid-5422 5.4.156-234 up from 5.4.87-218) and so far haven't experienced a crash so far, which is suggesting it's some package I was using other than the kernel that's causing the problem.

sxa

Post by sxa »

OK I think I may have tracked down the source of the crash if not the underlying reason. As part of the machine setup that I've got (which includes building and testing things with X11 support) we've got some packages being installed that are dragging in "gdm3" and starting it up to greet users on the, erm, nonexistant display output on the HC1.

While this doesn't seem to cause a problem on Ubuntu 18.04, having gdm3 running pn Ubuntu 20.04 does appear to be the underlying cause of the crashes I'm seeing, so the solution is to either remove it, or just disable it ("systemctl disable gdm3").

I'll leave this topic in this state for a couple of days before finally confirming that this is the issue, and while it does suggest there's an issue here, at least I now have a probably explanation and workaround for anyone else reading this forum. Fingers crossed the HC1 keeps working with later OS updates.

Return to “Ubuntu”