Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

boot problem

Post by alfredo »

Hi,
I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 on a XU4. On every boot I got the message:
EXT-4 fs (mmcblk1p2): re-mounted
Opts: error=remount-ro
Waiting a short time, xserver started and everything was ok.
As I tried to boot today, the same message appeared, but no xserver started. I was asked to log on as root or press ctrl-d to continue. Continuing doesn't work, shows the same message. Logging on as root works, and I can startx, but there is no network, no samba... I am usually running tvheadend to support several raspis with videos, but without any network...
In /root/.xsession-errors I found
libGL error: failed to create dri screen
libGL error: failed to load driver: exynos
Could this be the cause of the problem? And how can I fix it?

Both filesystems on the sd-card have been checked on another ubuntu computer and seem to be ok.

Thank you for your help!
alfredo

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: N2+, Game Advance, a few XU4

Re: boot problem

Post by mctom »

Hi,
The two problems seem to be unrelated. The first one tells that in case of error, the filesystem should be remounted. I get the same message on my N2+ and it appears to be normal.

The second error is likely caused by something traying to use OpenGL rather than OpenGL ES, but someone smarter should intervene with this.

Good luck!
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

If you don't have any specific reason to use the old 18.04 image, consider using the latest XU4 20.04 + Kernel 5.4 image.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/os_i ... e/20210113

alfredo
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: xu4
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by alfredo »

Well, I think I have very good reasons to not switch to 20.04. Years ago, I started recording TV with DVBViewer and TV-Browser on WinXP, programs were easy to install and set up, recording of different films at the same time was possible, if on the same transponder, after recording, the PC went into hibernation and woke up shortly before the next recording had to start. Everything went well, only drawback was the noisy fan and the power consumption of the PC.
I bought an odroid xu4 without fan, installed ubuntu 16.04 and XBMC, what was no challenge, but tvheadend was. It took a long time and more than a little help from the internet to get it running and setting it up. What a mess! Why is it so difficult in linux and so easy in windows? Are windows programmer smarter than linux-freaks? I don't think so. In the end, I got everything running, but there was no hibernation and no recording of two streams on the same transponder.
Ubuntu 18.04 was born and I upgraded, thinking things would be better. Big error. XBMC now was kodi and running, but tvheadend was not. Compiling it by myself? I tried, but oh no, I'm not the freak who can cope with all that complaints and errors. Again, it took hours of internet research and gallons of sweat to get it running. Another price I had to pay was kodi, kodi didn't run anymore and could not be reinstalled. This was not what I intented.
As long as there is no possibility to apt-get install tvheadend, I won't switch to 20.04.
If I don't get 18.04 running again, I will dump the odroid and switch back to windows. I really don't like that idea.
In /var/log/Xorg.0.log I found the message, that /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket is missing. Maybe that is the reason for not running. Does anybody know how to repair this?

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

If your main application is media player, 18.04 would be fine.
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=34149

InsideOut
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: HC2

Post by InsideOut »

Michael Marley's PPA provides TVHeadend for 20.04:

https://launchpad.net/~mamarley/+archiv ... eadend-git

mctom
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: N2+, Game Advance, a few XU4

Post by mctom »

There's also snap available, although I'd never advocate anything else than removing snapd right after installing ubuntu. ;)
sudo snap install whatever..
Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself!

Maintainer of PiStackMon

Return to “Ubuntu”