auto delete on size in dir called by cron

richard-g8jvm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1+ C2, XU4
Has thanked: 0

auto delete on size in dir called by cron

Post by richard-g8jvm »

Hi
I need to delete files generated by the program Motion that are less than say 800K and it needs to be called by cron
I could use something like ,
find . -size -800k -exec rm '{}' \;
I guess I could put that in a script
cd ~/Pictures/motion6
find . -size -800k -exec rm '{}' \;
The problem with HD cams is file size, and I've only got a 16GB eMMC card on the XU4, with 3GB spare
and flying insects at dusk and dawn drawn towards the IR leds
There doesn't seem to be a way in motion to ignore rapid movement, apart from movement for so many frames.
which doesn't work for an insect flying across the lens a few cms away, time to cross the lens aprox 50ms,, 1 frame
is about 67ms,
But always more than 1 insect !
as the files all are .avi
would may be this script
cd ~/Pictures/motion6
find . -type f -name '*.avi' -size -800k -exec rm {} \;
I'm not sure how to put this as a 1 line command which can be run by cron , instead of using cron to execute a script file
BR
Richard G8JVM

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Re: auto delete on size in dir called by cron

Post by meveric »

richard-g8jvm wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:09 pm

Code: Select all

cd ~/Pictures/motion6
find . -type f -name '*.avi'  -size -800k -exec rm {} \;
I'm not sure how to put this as a 1 line command which can be run by cron , instead of using cron to execute a script file
you can handle this in multiple ways.
1. use a script instead directly on command line
2. one liner: cd ~/Pictures/motion6 && find . -type f -name '*.avi' -size -800k -exec rm {} \;
3. without cd: find ~/Pictures/motion6 -type f -name '*.avi' -size -800k -exec rm {} \;

and probably many more ways to do it.

btw: ~/Pictures/motion6 is probably not a good way to define the path within cron. You should use the full path instead.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

Return to “Ubuntu”