languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: .
8-XU4's
11-MC1's
2 - N2's
Been thanked: 0

Create Personal ISO Image for my XU4's

Unread post by additude » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:07 am

I have just under 50 XU4's and MC1's that all pretty much run the exact same software and packages. The biggest difference is HOSTNAME, which is not hard to change individually.
Most are at Ubuntu 16.04 and I want to upgrade to 18.04+ so I basically want to set one up and ISO it and then use that image to update all the others.
One package I have read about is CUBIC and it seems pretty simple to use, but if there's anyone out there that does and has done ISO images before that can lend some advice about my project of creating my ISO image I'd appreciate the input.
Thanks.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Re: Create Personal ISO Image for my XU4's

Unread post by mad_ady » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:13 am

ISO images won't help since they are not bootable on Arm odroids.
You can use odroid-backup to image the master odroid and then "restore" it to the emmcs/sds of the other 49.
https://github.com/mad-ady/odroid-backup

additude
8-XU4's
11-MC1's
2 - N2's

Unread post by additude » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:50 am

Thanks,

What about creating an .img file?

I'll check odroid-backup as well.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Unread post by meveric » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:19 am

image files work fine as well.
You can dump the SD/eMMC with dd to create image files.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:19 pm

If doing img files you may need to adjust partition sizes so that they fit on all devices (16G sd/emmcs don't have the exact number of sectors) otherwise some of them risk of being truncated. odroid-backup takes care of this automatically and may be faster since it doesn't transfer free space.

additude
8-XU4's
11-MC1's
2 - N2's

Unread post by additude » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:04 am

It will all be a single partition. Hardkernel has a resizer on their .img files so I assume that's an option I can utilize?
My installs are all minimal's, but I don't know if that matters to odroid-backup.
I have a laptop that I can boot from USB drive to an 18.04 Ubuntu Mate desktop.
I haven't tried installing odroid-backup yet on that USB version of Ubuntu 18.04, but I have concerns that odroid-backup might not install on my USB version of Ubuntu.
There are several Perl dependencies required so that makes this whole venture kind of "Dedicated to the cause"....
If it goes on my USB drive, that's just fine with me.
If not, then I am tasked with a "Dual Boot" scenario that I'm not positively sure that I am willing to take and make just for the sake....
Maybe that's just too much, maybe it's not and it's a moot issue... I just don't know.
I prefer easy, not difficult.

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:56 pm

Yes, there are some packages and cpan modules that need to be installed, but should work in a live usb scenario.
If you want to go to the autoresize route youl'll need to:
1. Shrink you "master" rootfs with gparted
2. Extract the /aafirstboot script from the stock image (it gets deleted on first boot) and copy it to your master rootfs.
3. Delete ssh host keys (It's a better security practice to have them generated) and create the firstboot file (see aafirstboot)
4. Use dd (stop after the shrunk partition ends e.g. dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=image.img bs=1M count=5300 if your rootfs is 5G)
5. Use dd or etcher to write the other disks with the master image.

If you plan on doing this in one go it doesn't matter which method you use. If you plan to flash the image over a long period of time, odroid-backup's dependencies and dual booting will get tedious.

Return to “Ubuntu”