very high CPU usage on VLC

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

very high CPU usage on VLC

Unread postby richard-g8jvm » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:17 am

Hi there are some prior threads , but reading through I haven't found anything useful.

using a XU4 with just a single USB cam attached.
getting 400% CPU usage when the display is about 1/6 of the display area.
If I go full screen, which is what I'd like,the CPU use is so high that there is a latency of about 30 secs, or it crashes

I found some comments else where that VLC 2,2,2 has a few problems, has anyone successfully compiled and run VLC 3 on a XU4

would I be better to use VLC to create a stream out instead of trying to display locally ?????

Anyone know where VLC logs to ?
TIA
BR
Richard G8JVM
richard-g8jvm

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1+ C2, XU4

Re: very high CPU usage on VLC

Unread postby meveric » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:33 am

VLC is known to "suck" on ARM devices. Maybe VLC 3 is better, but I haven't tried VLC 3 yet.
For your scenario ffmpeg/ffplay would have been much better.
VLC ONLY works with GLESv2 support else it's way too slow to display even the lowest of video -> once again VLC sucks (at least under ARM).
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Re: very high CPU usage on VLC

Unread postby richard-g8jvm » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:29 am

Hi Meveric

it really does "suck"

just found that guvcview will go to fullscreen , 4:3 and its CPU usage is good 3%, so that will do me :)
now IF I can utilise a little LCD TV I bought many moons ago in Greece, analog but multi-standard, it has a SVGA input.
Albeit , on a 3.5mm jack, cant remember if it was a 4 way or 3 way jack , it would make a great little display as its a 9 inch screen
(9x 25.4)mm
That will be fun trying to sort out the connections for video routing :)

thanks
BR
Richard G8JVM
richard-g8jvm

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1+ C2, XU4

Return to Ubuntu