Can not flash eMMC

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Can not flash eMMC

Unread postby Weavis » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:12 am

Hello,
I purchased a new 16 GB eMMC card with adapter about a month ago from Odroid. I have tried to flash both Ubuntu 16.04.3 and 16.04 (20170731) without success. The card came with a working image but I wanted to try and flash a new image for the experience with an eMMC card. I extracted both images and flashed the image using Win32Diskimager. When I tried the Kernal 4.9 image I see three blinks of the blue led and then the XU4 locks up and starts to overheat. When I try the image 20170331 the XU4 boots up until line "Freeing unused kernal memory: 424k and stops. The blue leds blink and the XU4 does not over heat but never completes the boot process. What am I missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. For what it's worth I have no issues booting from an SD card and the boot switch is in the correct position for the boot process.

Thanks for reading this,
Larry
Weavis

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1 and C1+

Re: Can not flash eMMC

Unread postby odroid » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:11 am

Also use Etcher for more reliable flashing.
https://wiki.odroid.com/troubleshooting ... s#flashing

Please try other card readers if flashing verification fails.
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=2725
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby Weavis » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:10 am

Thank you for the information. I did a complete format of the eMMC card and then used Etcher to flash and verify the eMMC card. I did this twice with the same outcome, verification showed corruption on both occasions. I am using a Transcend card adapter but I did order another just to be sure. One other thing, to flash and verify the card took over 3 hours to complete. Is that normal? The flashing time was about what I would think normal but the verify process was not.

Thank you,
Larry
Weavis

Unread postby odroid » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:56 am

No. Flashing + Validating should take less than several minutes with Etcher.

Did your red eMMC module boot with preinstalled OS image when you received it?
BTW, the Black eMMC modules work with only ODROID-C0/C1/C1+/C2. Other Blue/Red eMMC modules work with all ODROID boards.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby Weavis » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:32 am

Yes when I got the eMMC it booted fine. I have tried three different SD Card adapters, two of which are recommended by Hard Kernal and they all fail. I have tried Etcher several times along with extracting the image and using Win32Disk imager and all failed. The eMMC card and eMMC card to sd adapter were purchased directly from Hard Kernal for the XU4.
Larry
Weavis

Unread postby phaseshifter » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:41 am

viewtopic.php?f=99&t=28385#p20259

try this the recovery of the emmc....
4.9.xx.xx odroids
phaseshifter

ODROIDs: opp sys.. ubuntu .kernel 4.9.xx.xx.c1+ ..c-2..xu3 lite,xu4...vu7,vu8,c-shell -II..c-shel-II,uart,hi-fi ,,hi-fi2,,show,w-board,6x16GB emmc`s 3.5 inch touch...other odroid acc`s as well

Unread postby Weavis » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:49 am

Thank you phaseshifter! That did the trick. I did not get the same response from the XU4 as the blue LED stayed on for about a minute and shut off and never did pluse as expected. It also appeared as though the XU4 actually shut down. I took a chance and pulled the power and moved the boot switch to eMMC and applied power and Android did boot. I must admit I'm a little afraid to flash Ubuntu onto the eMMC card now so I will play with Android for a little while before my next move. :-)

Thanks again for all your help,
Larry
Weavis

Unread postby phaseshifter » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:51 am

the android image that if flashes to the emmc is not meant for general computing although you can...

it is an older image and newer ones are available ..

thus said you chip is recovered and ready to flash ubuntu if you so desire..phase...
4.9.xx.xx odroids
phaseshifter

ODROIDs: opp sys.. ubuntu .kernel 4.9.xx.xx.c1+ ..c-2..xu3 lite,xu4...vu7,vu8,c-shell -II..c-shel-II,uart,hi-fi ,,hi-fi2,,show,w-board,6x16GB emmc`s 3.5 inch touch...other odroid acc`s as well

Unread postby Weavis » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:17 am

Curiosity got the best of me so I had to find out. Surprisingly my first two tries failed again. Etcher appeared to write the image properly but the validations failed. As a last try I bypassed the USB adapters. I placed the eMMC adapter into a good old Micro SD card adapter and inserted it into my Windows box SD slot. The card was immediately recognized as an MMC card, which I had never seen before. (good sign) I then let Etcher do it's thing and all went well. I had tried this before the recovery process so once again, thanks for all your help phaseshifter.

Regards,
Larry
Weavis

Unread postby phaseshifter » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:35 am

you may want to look at buying a "Transcend" usb adapter they are well recommend..to work first time all the time..
if it wont read your card then that is a sign that your card very well is faulty..
4.9.xx.xx odroids
phaseshifter

Unread postby Weavis » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:26 am

I had a Transcend USB and it failed. I bought a new Transcend USB adapter and that failed also. Both are identical to the ones shown in the HardKernal article concerning flashing eMMC cards. Using the cheap plastic Micro SD to SD Card adapter that comes with most Micro SD cards when purchased I was able to flash my eMMC card. Mystery to me! but it worked....
Weavis

Return to Ubuntu