[SOLVED] Constant crashing

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

[SOLVED] Constant crashing

Unread postby Shanther » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:48 am

Not sure why. Tried installing a crashdump program but it said my kernel wasn't compatible.

I am using the latest official Ubuntu linked by hardkernel. I run off an eMMC with attached 4tb USB 3.0 drive and a 64gb sd card in it.

I find that if I do anything intense it will crash.

How do I find the exact cause of it crashing and is their any way to make it power cycle on crash?
Shanther
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:25 pm
languages_spoken: english

Re: Constant crashing

Unread postby meveric » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:33 am

I saw that if you use large amounts of RAM (for example during compiling) the board crashes easily, even if you have SWAP or ZRAM activated. That's something to look out for.
Also If you run 3 cores at 100% the CPU is already at 95°C and will throttle.. if you constantly use 8 cores at 100% there's a chance this causes issues as well.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
User avatar
meveric
 
Posts: 7519
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:41 pm
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Re: Constant crashing

Unread postby Shanther » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:58 am

Is their any way around that? I want to use it for a plex media server but it just crashes constantly and I need to know why. I don't even know how to check ram.
Shanther
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:25 pm
languages_spoken: english

Re: Constant crashing

Unread postby Shanther » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:15 am

My CPU sits at 4-5% and my memory isn't even 1/4 of the way used most of the time.

I need a way to see why it crashes. Anyone have any ideas?
Shanther
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:25 pm
languages_spoken: english

Re: Constant crashing

Unread postby rooted » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:32 am

You need to enable watchdog so it can reboot when this happens. Google it as I don't have that information on hand.

Is your 3.0 drive externally powered?

We need more information about what you are doing that is intense.
User avatar
rooted
 
Posts: 3652
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am
Location: Gulf of Mexico, US
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1
C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Re: Constant crashing

Unread postby Shanther » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:22 am

hard drive is externally powered. I'll install watchdogs. I just went out and stopped the plex service. It still crashed after a while. Less then an hour and nothing was running. I really hope this isn't hardware as it did the same basic thing on Debian (several versions).
Shanther
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:25 pm
languages_spoken: english

Re: Constant crashing

Unread postby Shanther » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:37 am

Installed Watchdog and now it crashes even quicker. This is getting to be more effort then it's worth. I am starting to hate the odroid as no matter what operating system I use it just crashes.

I can't even configure watchdogs as it crashes so quick now I log in via ssh and type sudo before it crashes. Not even enough time to shut it down let alone configure watchdog. It's not just Ubuntu that does this. The longer any system is installed the quicker it's crash times.
Shanther
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:25 pm
languages_spoken: english

Re: Constant crashing

Unread postby rooted » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:42 am

Shanther wrote:Installed Watchdog and now it crashes even quicker. This is getting to be more effort then it's worth. I am starting to hate the odroid as no matter what operating system I use it just crashes.

I can't even configure watchdogs as it crashes so quick now I log in via ssh and type sudo before it crashes. Not even enough time to shut it down let alone configure watchdog. It's not just Ubuntu that does this. The longer any system is installed the quicker it's crash times.

Measure the voltage on the gpio with a multimeter if you have one, sounds like a power issue.

Even if not a power issue it will help tell us if the device has an issue.
User avatar
rooted
 
Posts: 3652
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am
Location: Gulf of Mexico, US
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1
C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Re: Constant crashing

Unread postby Shanther » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:04 pm

rooted wrote:
Shanther wrote:Installed Watchdog and now it crashes even quicker. This is getting to be more effort then it's worth. I am starting to hate the odroid as no matter what operating system I use it just crashes.

I can't even configure watchdogs as it crashes so quick now I log in via ssh and type sudo before it crashes. Not even enough time to shut it down let alone configure watchdog. It's not just Ubuntu that does this. The longer any system is installed the quicker it's crash times.

Measure the voltage on the gpio with a multimeter if you have one, sounds like a power issue.

Even if not a power issue it will help tell us if the device has an issue.





Sadly nothing as handy as a multimeter lying around. I'm installing DietPi atm. My god have I done the cycles of the systems. Ubuntu, Armbian and now DietPi. If the problem happens on DietPi I know it's not software and I'll post results here.
Shanther
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:25 pm
languages_spoken: english

Re: Constant crashing

Unread postby rooted » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:09 pm

I run DietPi on my CloudShell and it's been great, fingers crossed.

How long have you had the XU4 and where did you purchase?
User avatar
rooted
 
Posts: 3652
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am
Location: Gulf of Mexico, US
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1
C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Re: Constant crashing

Unread postby Shanther » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:35 pm

I've had it almost a week and before that I had my raspberry pi 2 for a few weeks. Got the pi running no problem but without usb 3.0 and gigabit it's soooo slow for plex. I do NOT want to have to go back to it.

I bought the XU4 direct from hardkernel and same for the eMMC module. The 64gb sd card though came from eBay. Tested though and it is legit.
Shanther
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:25 pm
languages_spoken: english

Re: Constant crashing

Unread postby odroid » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:17 pm

Let's narrow down possible root causes.
Please keep monitoring the CPU temperature first.
Code: Select all
watch cat /sys/devices/10060000.tmu/temp


What is the power specification of the external HDD PSU?
Also check the dmesg output too.
User avatar
odroid
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23994
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Constant crashing

Unread postby Shanther » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:54 pm

Found htop was really helpful for monitoring everything.

I'm trying with dietpi and so far everything great. About to build plex library once reboot done. That is where the previous builds have all crashed.
Shanther
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:25 pm
languages_spoken: english

Re: Constant crashing

Unread postby Shanther » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:01 pm

Longest up time so far. I'll see what happens though. If it finishes building the library that will be good if not then back to trying to find the problem which would now be most likely hardware.
Shanther
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:25 pm
languages_spoken: english

Re: Constant crashing

Unread postby Shanther » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:28 pm

So far so good. Plex throws a full tantrum about matching all my movies but that's it.
Shanther
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:25 pm
languages_spoken: english

Re: Constant crashing

Unread postby Shanther » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:01 pm

OK. New operating system. Same problem. When I try to open my server from anywhere it crashes. I have view settings and everything but the library if I access via laptop. The second my xbox one connects the entire computer crashes. If I try and view a Library on my laptop it crashes. WTF.

Attached is a copy of htop before a crash. Everything runs like normal if left alone.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Shanther
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:25 pm
languages_spoken: english

Re: Constant crashing

Unread postby Shanther » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:48 pm

odroid wrote:Let's narrow down possible root causes.
Please keep monitoring the CPU temperature first.
Code: Select all
watch cat /sys/devices/10060000.tmu/temp


What is the power specification of the external HDD PSU?
Also check the dmesg output too.





cpu temp is;

Architecture | armv7l
Temp | 55'c | Running warm, but safe.
Governor | interactive

Current Freq Min Freq Max Freq
CPU0 | 200 MHz 200 MHz 1400 MHz
CPU1 | 200 MHz 200 MHz 1400 MHz
CPU2 | 200 MHz 200 MHz 1400 MHz
CPU3 | 200 MHz 200 MHz 1400 MHz
CPU4 | 2000 MHz 200 MHz 2000 MHz
CPU5 | 2000 MHz 200 MHz 2000 MHz
CPU6 | 600 MHz 200 MHz 2000 MHz
CPU7 | 2000 MHz 200 MHz 2000 MHz


That is it's idle temp. Goes as high as 65' but that's it.


What is the power specification of the external HDD PSU?

No idea...just a standard one from office works that is compatible with Linux.

attached dmesg.
Attachments
dmesg.txt
(56.2 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Shanther
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:25 pm
languages_spoken: english

Re: Constant crashing

Unread postby rooted » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:29 pm

You need a minimum 4 Amp power supply for the XU4, not sure about HD.

Looking at your log or appears to be your external hard drive causing the problem, try without it to be sure.
User avatar
rooted
 
Posts: 3652
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am
Location: Gulf of Mexico, US
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1
C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Re: Constant crashing

Unread postby Shanther » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:39 pm

GOT IT!!!!!



OMFG I am so stupid. When plex gets a hold on a STUPID amount of files it over heats. I live in Australia and it's FUCKING SUMMER!!!!! OMFG I am so fucking stupid. It overheats so quickly I don't see the heat.

I have installed dietpi and gone to dietpi-config and in performance set the throttled speed to 1,000. Now it is running like a charm. Who cares about the speed. It's not doing much anyway.
Shanther
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:25 pm
languages_spoken: english

Re: Constant crashing

Unread postby rooted » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:47 pm

Shanther wrote:GOT IT!!!!!



OMFG I am so stupid. When plex gets a hold on a STUPID amount of files it over heats. I live in Australia and it's FUCKING SUMMER!!!!! OMFG I am so fucking stupid. It overheats so quickly I don't see the heat.

I have installed dietpi and gone to dietpi-config and in performance set the throttled speed to 1,000. Now it is running like a charm. Who cares about the speed. It's not doing much anyway.

You aren't stupid mate, it takes time to find the issue and you did.

No need to clock it that low, I can run my XU4 without a fan @ 1600 (with bigger sink) so I would go with that.
User avatar
rooted
 
Posts: 3652
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am
Location: Gulf of Mexico, US
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1
C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)


Return to Ubuntu

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests