HeartOfGermany
languages_spoken: English, german
ODROIDs: Odroid XU4
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unable to run Android on XU4

Post by HeartOfGermany »

Hello world.

I was testing multiple distributions on my Odroid XU4 without any issues (Debian, Fedora). Now I have tried the latest Android 4 from the listing and the latest ready image from viewtopic.php?f=94&t=28622

Both where flashed to 2 32GB SD cards and one 16GB SD card. The cards work perfectly fine with Linux distros. However with the androids the behavior is always the same:

- Blue LED on for a few seconds
- Blue LED flashing slow a few seconds
- Blue LED off for a few seconds
- Fan powering down for a fraction of a second (indicating hard reset)
- repeat

Screen is black the whole time. What is going on? I have read of this issue in another thread and the topic creator said, that the issue was fixed, but not how.

Flashing using Etcher with a reliable USB Adapter (I mean, it always works with Linux distros)

Is there anything to consider? The image is reffered to selfinstalling image. What does that mean? For me an image is directly bootable.

Thank you for your assistance.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Unable to run Android on XU4

Post by odroid »

Try this self-installation image to test your hardware configuration.
https://dn.odroid.com/5422/ODROID-XU4/A ... b-22-2021/
android-4.4.4-alpha-7.1-sd_installer-odroidxu4-20210228.img.zip

BTW, do you use our official 5V/4A PSU?
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/5v-4a-p ... us-plug-2/
As far as I remember, Android eats slightly more power in the booting process than Linux.

What is the native resolution of your HDMI monitor?

HeartOfGermany

Post by HeartOfGermany »

Thank you very much for the reply.

That is the first image I tested, unfortunately. This behaves in the described way aswell.

Interesting... It appears, that the PSU I am using indeed looks slightly different. It is called XY-0504000-K
This PSU was in server use for a long time. It surprises me, that it propably is not original. I will look further into this. But yet it is strange, that it just fails. I know a friend of mine using an underrated Phone charger for his raspberry pi. I would have expected, that a medium quality PSU rated for 4A might suffice for the usecase.

So what you say is, that flasing the mentioned image directly to the SD card (16GB or 32GB) should just work, right? Switch is set to SD, by the way. But I guess, that this is obvious, since I do not use anything emmc related.

Edit: Forgot to mention: The native Screen Resolution is 1920x1080p.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid »

Yes, direct flashing should work.
In the first booting process, the self-installation job might take several minutes if your micro-SD card is much slower than eMMC.
While the self-installation process, the blue LED must be solid-on for a couple of minutes and keep flashing like heartbeat.
If the blue LED turns off more than a few seconds, the power supply might not be stable enough probably.
Unstable/insufficient current output from a faulty PSU might cause a boot-loop problem.

HeartOfGermany

Post by HeartOfGermany »

Thank you for your reply.

Well, i have managed to boot a Cyanogen Mod ISO with linage OS from this forum.

However I am unsatisfied, because the Android is far to much like a mobile or tablet OS. Is there anything, that very closely resembles a real desktop and yet offers full hardware acceleration like the other androids? I want to use standard gestures. (Right mouse goes back on page... horrible) I need windows, that are resizable. I tried an app, that claims to make the experience like a desktop, but it is worthless, especially since it does not work well together with the overscan feature from another app. Is there any way, to at least get a cromebook experience or better?

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

User AreaScout pulled off ChromeOS for N1 and N2, and it looks like he will try for xu4 too. viewtopic.php?p=334788#p334788

Return to “Android”