Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) Advertising not supported

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) Advertising not supported

Unread postby patofnice » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:49 am

Hello, I installed today the image «selfinstall-odroidc-eng-s805_5.1.1_master-29-v1.4.img" on my ODROID c1+. The system runs fine, and I have a Bluetooth Low Energy Dongle as well as a Wi-Fi dongle connected.
I'm trying to run an application that needs to put the device as Bluetooth peripheral. Unfortunately, I get an error that Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) Advertising is not supported by the device.
Question: is there currently an Android version for ODROID C1+ or else that supports this BLE feature ?
patofnice

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1+

Re: Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) Advertising not supported

Unread postby rooted » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:17 am

Sounds like something missing in a configuration file somewhere on the system.
rooted

Unread postby tobetter » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:16 pm

patofnice wrote:Hello, I installed today the image «selfinstall-odroidc-eng-s805_5.1.1_master-29-v1.4.img" on my ODROID c1+. The system runs fine, and I have a Bluetooth Low Energy Dongle as well as a Wi-Fi dongle connected.
I'm trying to run an application that needs to put the device as Bluetooth peripheral. Unfortunately, I get an error that Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) Advertising is not supported by the device.
Question: is there currently an Android version for ODROID C1+ or else that supports this BLE feature ?

The current Android only supports HID/A2DP, not BLE.
tobetter

languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Unread postby rooted » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:27 pm

tobetter wrote:
patofnice wrote:Hello, I installed today the image «selfinstall-odroidc-eng-s805_5.1.1_master-29-v1.4.img" on my ODROID c1+. The system runs fine, and I have a Bluetooth Low Energy Dongle as well as a Wi-Fi dongle connected.

According to the following link Android has had platform support since Android 4.3.

https://developer.android.com/guide/top ... uetooth-le

It should only need minimum changes to get it working. That's why I figured simply some configuration could be done somewhere
rooted

Unread postby tobetter » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:37 pm

rooted wrote:
tobetter wrote:

According to the following link Android has had platform support since Android 4.3.

https://developer.android.com/guide/top ... uetooth-le

It should only need minimum changes to get it working. That's why I figured simply some configuration could be done somewhere

Well, I would correct my previous statement that only HID/A2DP is been tested on ODROID-C1, but BLE is not tested. I would welcome your fix if you know how to fix it. :)
tobetter

Unread postby rooted » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:44 pm

I don't have any BLE devices so I can't really say how to fix unfortunately.

@voodik would be the best person to ask about this issue, he knows the inner workings of Android on Odroid best.

You may want to try shooting him a PM @patofnice

Note • This thread is in the XU4 section instead of the C series section of the forum.
rooted

Unread postby rooted » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:52 pm

In another thread @odroid stated why BLE doesn't work on the C2 (would be same for C1)

odroid wrote:Because we couldn't find any reference HAL source code to enable the BLE with USB type Bluetooth adapter, we couldn't implement it.

So basically it comes down to the bit of code/configuration needed to use USB connected dongle as BLE device is currently missing.
rooted

Unread postby patofnice » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:30 pm

thank you a lot for the infos. Concerning code / configuration: does it mean a new Android Image has to be built or is it possible to implement a patch separately ?
patofnice

Unread postby tobetter » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:07 pm

patofnice wrote:thank you a lot for the infos. Concerning code / configuration: does it mean a new Android Image has to be built or is it possible to implement a patch separately ?

HK does not have a decent code to run BLE on Android, specifically for USB Bluetooth dongle and keeping in the TODO list to be done sometime since there are many demands. I've seen some patches to support BLE, but have not tested enough to release.
tobetter

Unread postby patofnice » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:21 pm

is it possible to obtain one these BLE patches even if they are not released ?
patofnice

Unread postby chargerent » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:35 am

Hi We are also looking for this feature, any updates on a fix? ty
chargerent

ODROIDs: Odroid C2

Return to Android