LineageOS-14.1 Android 7.1.1 Nougat for ODROID-XU3/XU4

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: LineageOS-14.1 Android 7.1.1 Nougat for ODROID-XU3/XU4

Unread postby Jorgos » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:44 am

Hi!
I've just bought Odroid XU4 and i tried to use that ROM, but i have some questions:
1) Would it be possible to use Atheros AR9271 Wifi card? I don't have any other
2) Alternatively I have LTE router with Wifi: Huawei E5372, any chance to get it run via USB as internet source?

I'm going to mount in my car, so any internet connection is strongly required ;)
Jorgos

languages_spoken: english

Unread postby voodik » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:51 pm

Jorgos wrote:Hi!
I've just bought Odroid XU4 and i tried to use that ROM, but i have some questions:
1) Would it be possible to use Atheros AR9271 Wifi card? I don't have any other
2) Alternatively I have LTE router with Wifi: Huawei E5372, any chance to get it run via USB as internet source?

I'm going to mount in my car, so any internet connection is strongly required ;)

Hi,
1. no, only Ralink and Realtek modules is supported
2. yes, LTE modules with HILINK firmware are supported.
Just configure your router via PC. set in build.prop
Code: Select all
ro.disable.ethernet=1

connect to Odroid and reboot.
You can help me buy new PC Here ;)
BTC: 3AB1bcKpvsobcjaSxG2iTLDGft2Rqsh7an
voodik

languages_spoken: english,russian

Unread postby Jorgos » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:20 pm

Thans voodik for your answer!
Unfortunelty, i don't think my router has HiLink, at least, connecting and changing the file didn't help. Fortunetly these WiFi cards aren't expensive so i have to buy one :)

Today i made quick test at my car, and I'm really satisfied ;) My touch screen bought on ebay works out of the box, so Wifi is now my only concern

One another question: I'm using original display built in my car, and it is placed in the housing (you can see picture here https://1drv.ms/i/s!AnkwovpKe1RrtQOOTHuIETCZpa5c it was when i tried to use Windows10 but i find it improper for the carputer), I can't put my finger enough from the top to open the menu (settings, notification). Is there any option to make a button to open it? I used to have something like that in Cyanogen 4 years ago, and the second option was to grab 2 fingers anywhere from the top of the screen (but not necessary close to the edge) to open this menu. Any help will be appreciated :)
Jorgos

Unread postby voodik » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:31 pm

Jorgos wrote:Thans voodik for your answer!
Unfortunelty, i don't think my router has HiLink, at least, connecting and changing the file didn't help. Fortunetly these WiFi cards aren't expensive so i have to buy one :)

Today i made quick test at my car, and I'm really satisfied ;) My touch screen bought on ebay works out of the box, so Wifi is now my only concern

One another question: I'm using original display built in my car, and it is placed in the housing (you can see picture here https://1drv.ms/i/s!AnkwovpKe1RrtQOOTHuIETCZpa5c it was when i tried to use Windows10 but i find it improper for the carputer), I can't put my finger enough from the top to open the menu (settings, notification). Is there any option to make a button to open it? I used to have something like that in Cyanogen 4 years ago, and the second option was to grab 2 fingers anywhere from the top of the screen (but not necessary close to the edge) to open this menu. Any help will be appreciated :)

You can reflash your modem with hilink firmware. Google for it.
Sorry, but i don't know any app for menu.
voodik

Unread postby Jorgos » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:18 pm

okay, so let me ask one more question: Bluetooth, is there anything special required to run bluetooth module? any particular module? Is there any chance to use HSP profile (as the source) on odroid? I'd like to connect my handsfree module in car ;)

Anyway, I'm C++ programmer, so if there is anything i can help to improve this OS, let me know (my knowledge about android is rather poor, but I'm learning fast ;) )
Jorgos

Unread postby odroid » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:58 am

Android HSP seems not to be feasible because there is no PCM/I2S interface in USB type Bluetooth dongle.
But we could use a HSP capable Bluetooth speaker on Ubuntu OS.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/appl ... ai_speaker
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby arosis » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:07 pm

Hi
How to enable touchscreen for Waveshare 10.1" model "B"?
arosis

ODROIDs: XU4, C2, C1

Unread postby Jorgos » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:54 pm

The only reason why i bought Odroid is Android ;) I already have 3 other board with Linux support, and because linux is not very demanding, all of them works really fine for its purpose. My device is going to be installed in my car, so i need things like navi - there is no reasonable navigation on linux - the best is navit, which looks like from '90s, second thing is spotify, Linux version is not as easy in use as android's one.

Going back to WiFi. I found no way to flash my huawei to HiLink, unfortunelty. I bought Wifi dongle which according to the seller should have Realtek RTL8188CU, unfortunetly it didn't work, i opened it and there is Mediatek MT7601UN...

Anyway: answering my question about opening notification bar (in case anyone was looking for it) : https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nstatusbar. This one is ad-free and free of charge. There is plenty of other but usually with ads.
Jorgos

Unread postby mad-murdock » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:58 am

I googled quite a bit. Has anyone found a way to watch NETFLIX in HD on this software?
mad-murdock

languages_spoken: English german
ODROIDs: 2*odroid u2 (one running latest cyanogenmod android, one being server running arch linux arm)

Unread postby OverSoft » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:03 pm

Jorgos wrote:Thans voodik for your answer!

There's actually a bug in the latest versions of voodik's release. The USB mode switch doesn't work anymore. (It's missing from the build)
So the modem doesn't switch to the ethernet type. It's included in the source, but isn't added to the build during compilation.

So unless the modem is switched to CDC only mode (something that isn't available on all Hi-link modems), it doesn't work straight away. It starts in CD-ROM mode, it has to be switched to modem mode.
OverSoft

ODROIDs: C2, XU4

Unread postby Jorgos » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:56 pm

Hi.
I've bought Ralink wifi card, it is detected, but disconnects all the time... I have other card with Realtek chipset and it works pretty well.

OverSoft,
does it mean that i can build my own ROM and enable this option?
Jorgos

Unread postby OverSoft » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:41 am

Jorgos wrote:Hi.
OverSoft,
does it mean that i can build my own ROM and enable this option?

Yes, we're running Hi-Link modems on a couple of XU4's right now, work like a charm.
If you download the Android source provided by voodik, you'll find a usb3g directory in the odroidxu4 device tree.
A couple of files are there, but not included in the ROM (they're missing from the .mk file in de odroidxu4 device tree).
You could add them to the .mk file yourself and compile the ROM yourself.
You could also just copy them to a running XU4 if you remount the /system directory to writable (mount -o remount,rw /system), so you don't have to recompile.
(The driver module necessary is already included in the ROM)

I've written a small script which switches the Hi-Link modem to CDC mode on boot. It's on a different computer, so i'll post it tomorrow.
You can use that to enable the LTE modem. (It also doesn't require you to disable ethernet)
OverSoft

Unread postby sofronovev » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:20 pm

Jorgos wrote:The only reason why i bought Odroid is Android ;) I already have 3 other board with Linux support, and because linux is not very demanding, all of them works really fine for its purpose. My device is going to be installed in my car, so i need things like navi - there is no reasonable navigation on linux - the best is navit, which looks like from '90s, second thing is spotify, Linux version is not as easy in use as android's one.

Going back to WiFi. I found no way to flash my huawei to HiLink, unfortunelty. I bought Wifi dongle which according to the seller should have Realtek RTL8188CU, unfortunetly it didn't work, i opened it and there is Mediatek MT7601UN...

Anyway: answering my question about opening notification bar (in case anyone was looking for it) : https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nstatusbar. This one is ad-free and free of charge. There is plenty of other but usually with ads.

Hi, try this software for navigation. http://navikey.org/
version for ARM Linux http://navikey.ru/files/7w/7ways-linux-arm.tar.gz
sofronovev

ODROIDs: u3, xu4

Unread postby PaulG » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:09 pm

Hi

For android I use a navigation program call OSMAND, there is a free and paid version, the only difference is the free version has limited map downloads. I recently used it exclusively on a trip to Toronto, it works very well.
It s off-line so no eating into any data and uses Open Street Maps as the mapping, giving virtually worldwide coverage.

Paul
PaulG

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby Jorgos » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:44 pm

I don't have any issues with navigation on android ;) And as i said, i do not want to go to linux for my project anymore ;)

OverSoft : I would be really thankfull if you give me this help, connecting this USB LTE Router will be perfect for me ;) Now I only have to make some backend application to communicate with USB->UART device and I'll be done ;)
Jorgos

Unread postby OverSoft » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:36 pm

So, for the Hi-link modems to work, we've extracted "switchtool" from PPP Widget (you can download it for free) and placed it in /system/bin
(This could just as easily be made to work with usb_modeswitch, but i prefer switchtool, because it gives me more debugging capabilities)

Then, i've created a script which i've placed at /system/etc/init.lte.sh

This is the script (i've removed some stuff which is necessary for our application like Ethernet cable and WiFi checking and multiple retries to enable the modem)
#!/system/bin/sh
# Run LTE init

# Find Huawei dongle
lsusb | grep 12d1
if [ $? -eq 1 ] ; then
    log -p i -t initEth "No Huawei dongle found";
    exit 0
fi

log -p i -t initEth "Huawei dongle found, running mobile mode changer...";
# Remove ethernet driver, this effectively frees up eth0 so that the CDC driver can use it
rmmod r8152
# Also removed CDC if it has been previously loaded, this fixes a couple of issues i've encountered
rmmod cdc_ether
sleep 2

log -p i -t initEth "Switching USB mode..."
USBID=`lsusb | grep 12d1 | cut -f6 -d " " | sed 's/:/_/g'`
if [ -f "/system/etc/usb_modeswitch.d/$USBID" ] ; then
    # Load variables from usb_modeswitch dir
    . /system/etc/usb_modeswitch.d/$USBID
    # Find bus and device ID
    USBBUS=`lsusb | grep 12d1 | cut -f2 -d " " | sed 's/^0*//'`
    USBDEV=`lsusb | grep 12d1 | cut -f4 -d " " | sed 's/[^[:digit:]]//g' | sed 's/^0*//'`
    # Switch device to CDC mode
    /system/bin/switchtool -b $USBBUS -g $USBDEV -M "$MessageContent"
    # Wait to allow the modem to switch
    sleep 5
fi

insmod /lib/modules/cdc_ether.ko

Then, i've edited /system/init.odroidxu3.rc
First, add a service at the end of the services section:
service init_lte /system/bin/sh /system/etc/init.lte.sh
    class core
    seclabel u:r:toolbox:s0
    user root
    group root
    disabled
    oneshot

(place that above "on property:ro.radio.noril=0")

Then add the actual start command at the end (i've removed the commented out GPS commands here)
on property:init.svc.insmod_cp210x=stopped
    start init_lte

(this goes above "on property:ro.dumpstate.dmesg=1")

That's about it. Now, i've only tested this with the Huawei modems we have laying around here, but it seems to work on all of them.
OverSoft

Unread postby fender90 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:57 pm

Hi voodik!
I have ordered an hdmi usb capacitive touchscreen http://wiki.52pi.com/index.php/7-Inch-1024x600_Capacitive_Touch_Screen_DIY_Kit_SKU:_EP-0084 and plan to buy Odroid XU4 to build a custom head unit for my car. I know that Android has issues with capacitive USB toucscreens. Does your Android build has native support for such touch devices or I will need to tweak the kernel so it would support my touchscreen? The touchscreen manufacturer says that it works without drivers on Raspbery Pi linux distros. Just want to make sure that I will be able to make everything work on Android before i order the Odroid XU4 cause I live in Armenia and will have to wait for around 2 months till its delivered.

P.S. Thumbs up for your profile image :-D
fender90

languages_spoken: english, armenian, russian

Unread postby Jorgos » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:22 pm

I have this touchscreen https://www.ebay.com/itm/201648590385?ul_noapp=true and it works fine with this android. I have no problems with touch or multitouch gestures
Jorgos

Unread postby fender90 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:41 pm

I assume this depends on the touchscreen driver board chip. I have contacted the manufacturer for additional information but they haven't replied yet. I hope my touchscreen will work out of the box as well cause I don't have any experience in modifying the Android kernel.
fender90

languages_spoken: english, armenian, russian

Unread postby voodik » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:57 am

fender90 wrote:I assume this depends on the touchscreen driver board chip. I have contacted the manufacturer for additional information but they haven't replied yet. I hope my touchscreen will work out of the box as well cause I don't have any experience in modifying the Android kernel.

Check PM ;)
voodik

Unread postby drtechdom » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:12 am

Just upgraded to the latest version of LineageOS. My touch screen X and Y are still backwards as I posted before (viewtopic.php?f=94&t=23911&p=200870#p200870).... *sad face*
is there anything I can do to change them around?
drtechdom

Unread postby voodik » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:14 am

Minor Update!

Modified strobe timing for eMMC HS400 mode.
Updated LineageOS sources
voodik

Unread postby aliceta » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:20 am

I have been using the 0.6 version of the ROM since it was released and just decided to update but I have had some difficulty to get to the 10 version and I hope someone will help. My problem is some noobish mistake so thanks for your patience in advance. Sequence in brief so far:
- Downloaded verified and wrote "android-lineage-14.1-alpha-1.0-sd2emmc_uboot-recovery-odroidxu3-2017-09-25.img" to uSD
- Booted from uSD then switched to boot from emmc. Got to the beginning of the Lineage boot animation but then it looped back to the beginning blue led sequence.
- Repeated above steps with same result.
- Downloaded verified and wrote "android-LineageOS-14.1-alpha-0.9-sd2emmc_installer-odroidxu3-2017-07-04.img".
- Booted from uSD then switched to emmc - BOOT SUCCESS
aliceta

Unread postby voodik » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:16 pm

aliceta wrote:I have been using the 0.6 version of the ROM since it was released and just decided to update but I have had some difficulty to get to the 10 version and I hope someone will help. My problem is some noobish mistake so thanks for your patience in advance. Sequence in brief so far:
- Downloaded verified and wrote "android-lineage-14.1-alpha-1.0-sd2emmc_uboot-recovery-odroidxu3-2017-09-25.img" to uSD
- Booted from uSD then switched to boot from emmc. Got to the beginning of the Lineage boot animation but then it looped back to the beginning blue led sequence.
- Repeated above steps with same result.
- Downloaded verified and wrote "android-LineageOS-14.1-alpha-0.9-sd2emmc_installer-odroidxu3-2017-07-04.img".
- Booted from uSD then switched to emmc - BOOT SUCCESS

Hi,
Please use this version
https://oph.mdrjr.net/voodik/5422/ODROI ... _14.11.17/
voodik

Unread postby qxtgo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:26 am

voodik wrote:Hi,
Please use this version
https://oph.mdrjr.net/voodik/5422/ODROI ... _14.11.17/

Hi,
anything broken in this version regarding gps?

Device is present:
odroidxu3:/ # la /dev/ttyACM0
crw-rw-rw- 1 radio radio 166, 0 2017-11-15 21:00 /dev/ttyACM0

cat /dev/ttyACM0 shows data:
$GPRMC,201257.00,A,4017.94478,N,01054.25396,E,0.157,,151117,,,A*7D
$GPVTG,,T,,M,0.157,N,0.291,K,A*2A
$GPGGA,201257.00,4017.94478,N,01054.25396,E,1,09,1.02,537.8,M,46.2,M,,*53

but no gps with gps-test app

connect/disconnect sometimes brings the device up as ttyACM1, sometimes as ttyACM2

build.prop is correct:
ro.kernel.android.gps=ttyACM0
ro.kernel.android.gps.speed=9600

BR
Tom
qxtgo

languages_spoken: english,german
ODROIDs: 2x C2, 2x XU4

Unread postby qxtgo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:42 pm

qxtgo wrote:Hi,
anything broken in this version regarding gps?

Device is present:
odroidxu3:/ # la /dev/ttyACM0
crw-rw-rw- 1 radio radio 166, 0 2017-11-15 21:00 /dev/ttyACM0

cat /dev/ttyACM0 shows data:
$GPRMC,201257.00,A,4017.94478,N,01054.25396,E,0.157,,151117,,,A*7D
$GPVTG,,T,,M,0.157,N,0.291,K,A*2A
$GPGGA,201257.00,4017.94478,N,01054.25396,E,1,09,1.02,537.8,M,46.2,M,,*53

but no gps with gps-test app

connect/disconnect sometimes brings the device up as ttyACM1, sometimes as ttyACM2

build.prop is correct:
ro.kernel.android.gps=ttyACM0
ro.kernel.android.gps.speed=9600

BR
Tom

Hi, got it!

But what the hell has this to do with bootanimation:

I had an own bootanimation in /media, which played fine.
But with this bootanimation the gps didn't work anymore.
Cross checked this:
removed my bootanimation: gps ok.
put it back: gps fail.
restored original bootanimation: gps ok.
no bootanimation: gps ok.

Can anyone explain this ?

BR
Tom
qxtgo

languages_spoken: english,german
ODROIDs: 2x C2, 2x XU4

Unread postby paodal » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:41 am

Hello Voodik,

we have installed the latest sd2emmc installer downloaded from here: https://oph.mdrjr.net/voodik/5422/ODROI ... _14.11.17/, but the process seems to take forever. The device remains on, with the blue led fixed.

We have tried again the previous version (alpha 1.0) and everything works fine. By the way we were able to update to the 1.1 later with the updater.
paodal

languages_spoken: english, italian

Unread postby odroid » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:43 am

We installed Android 7.1 v1.1 from Android 4.4 v5.8. It worked well.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/soft ... 4_to_7.1.1
odroid
Site Admin

ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby paodal » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:19 pm

odroid wrote:We installed Android 7.1 v1.1 from Android 4.4 v5.8. It worked well.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/soft ... 4_to_7.1.1

Perfect, thank you we will try this procedure next time, without writing the self install image on a sdcard.

We found another problem: we need sometimes to rotate the screen in portrait mode, but using the Odroid Utility this is the result:

We also tried using other apps from the Play Store, but the result is exactly the same.

How we can fix this? We are using the latest version of Android 7.1.1 LineageOS (alpha 1.1)

Thank you.
paodal

languages_spoken: english, italian

Previous

Return to Android