XU4 vs XU4Q

odroid_newuser
languages_spoken: english
Been thanked: 0

XU4 vs XU4Q

Post by odroid_newuser »

Hi, I am very sensitive to noise. How is the fan noise of the XU4? Is it high pitch? Between the XU4 and XU4Q, which is better at dissipating the heat to prevent thermal throttle? How is the performance of the two compared with each other?

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4

Re: XU4 vs XU4Q

Post by meveric »

Normally the XU4Q is clocked slower than the XU4 to prevent overheating.
If you use the standard plastic case with the XU4Q it's heating up even faster as the warm air can't dissipate fast enough.
The fan of the XU4 can be controlled via scripts or system settings, and rather than waiting very later and start at 70~80% speed of the fan it's a good way to start early but only on 40% (or so) fan speed.
That way the fan is rather quiet and keeps the CPU cool even if it has short spikes, if you use the full CPU power over a longer period of time the fan will of cause speed up, and depending on how good the fan is, it might get louder.
Fan quality varies. Some are quiet some are louder.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
odroid_newuser (Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:44 am)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

odroid_newuser

Post by odroid_newuser »

Thanks. About the fan quality... Since it comes with the XU4, is getting a higher quality quiet fan all by luck?

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

It depends on the ear quality of the user... If you're an audiophile, you'll hate it!
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
odroid_newuser (Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:53 am)

odroid_newuser

Post by odroid_newuser »

If it is high pitch, I won't be able to stand it. Is it?

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4

Post by meveric »

The quality of the fan depends a little on luck.
I ordered a hand full of fans and swapped mine, since some of my ODROIDs are running since 2015 I had to swap the fans every now and then.
Some fans are really quite, others were not so much. Some fans were even doing loud scraping sounds, which is when I normally start to replace them.
I have some of my XU4s running 24/7 for several years now. Especially the ones acting as servers for owncloud and alike normally running on a lower fan speed for me and they are mostly quiet.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
odroid_newuser (Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:53 am)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

rooted

Post by rooted »

It's high pitched and very annoying, I can't hear the high pitch chirp it makes when starting unless close to it but my wife can hear it when in another room with the door closed.

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

Wives have super powers! There's no denying it...

rooted

Post by rooted »

I think women naturally have the ability to hear higher pitched sounds vs men if I'm not mistaken. My hearing was damaged by having a firearm discharged near my head when I was 7 years old, at least I don't have tinnitus just can't hear sounds higher than around 14 kHz.

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

Ouch, sorry about that...
At least you have an excuse for when the wife calls and you don't "hear"... :)

o_lampe
languages_spoken: english german
ODROIDs: MC1 solo

Post by o_lampe »

A few notes about fan and noise from my personal experience:
Fans don't like PWM control. They get noisier and often die early. It's better to use lower_than_spec DC-voltage. The 120x120mm fans cooling my cluster run on 5V instead of 12V. That's possible, because the thermal bottleneck is the MC1-SoC surface area not the airspeed.
I guess it's the same for XU4 or XU4Q with added fan.

phaseshifter
ODROIDs: U-2,U3+,,XU-3,,XU3-LITE,,XU-4
C1+,,C-2,,,
N-1,,N-2,...other odroid acc`s as well

Post by phaseshifter »

my 20 cent`s worth..... i`d see if you can clock it up..via code ... the "xu4q" that is and fit a "noctura" to it i fitted an tall blue heat-sink from ameridroid on an xu4 with a copper shim and ran it for quite some time..no problems bit-coining..i also fitted a peltier as well that pumped up the numbers..and i ran the 40 mm constantly....i don't remember the @hominid thread now..it`s been a long time
it also depends on copper shimming between the heat sink and the soc..it is possible to get greater cooling if your talking
"MC-1" i`d just run an usb fan controller off of it...they have ones that come with temp sensors...generally i think the mc-1 was a bad design..it could have been better..others beg to differ

@rooted how are you..p.m me if you have time...

another silly thread ..waffling...lol
Build It And They Will Come...Be Bold And Mighty Forces Will Come To Your Aid..!!!

BowerR64
ODROIDs: XU4

Post by BowerR64 »

Wait so the XU4Q is slower?

Now you mean it normally runs slower because it runs hotter and thermal throttles more often or its just slower from the factory?

Can i see some benchmarks somewhere?

I got the XU4Q and then i got one of those $13. noctua fan and they are super quiet i dont hear a peep out of it.

mad_ady

Post by mad_ady »

With active cooling it's as fast (or slightly faster) than xu4

BowerR64
ODROIDs: XU4

Post by BowerR64 »

The stock "active" heatsink and fan isnt good imo, my board funs 50-51C all the time when under load with the stock linage fan settings

With the Q "larger heatsink" and a noctua 40X40X10 fan it runs a steady 40C and its whisper quiet, quality fan off AMazon for $15 and under heavy load it stays at 40C and i dont hear anything.

I even cut the fins down on the Q heatsink so i could stuff it into the interceptor case

IMO the problem with the active setup is they have cut all the cooling fins off the sink for the fan to sit inside the sink so theres almost nothing left of the sink but a metal plate.

I dont understand the reasoning behind the designs of these boards, we are sacrificing performance for size. They are trying to make everything so small and everything else suffers.

Return to “General Topics”