Dropbox alternative with two HC1?

Tenaja
languages_spoken: english

Dropbox alternative with two HC1?

Unread post by Tenaja » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:48 am

I'd like to set up a dropbox alternative using a pair of HC1 or HC2 and ... nextcloud? I really need redundancy and backup, as well as syncing with several computers.
I've seen a couple examples of a nas, but how about a redundant nas? I don't know where to look yet, so if anyone can make some suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Re: Dropbox alternative with two HC1?

Unread post by meveric » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:39 am

I would probably go for backuppc for Backups
a file sync process over the two servers for the nextcloud data folder together with a database replication solution for overall replication of the system.
Redundancy I'm not quite sure, maybe with a load balancer solution that watches which of the systems is up and running and changes DNS entries depending on what system is running.
Syncing is done by the client so doesn't really be looked at, as this is basic functionality by the client.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance

Unread post by mad_ady » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:15 am

Or look into a distributed filesystem like glusterfs - there's an article about it on Odroid Magazine

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Unread post by meveric » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:10 am

mad_ady wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:15 am
Or look into a distributed filesystem like glusterfs - there's an article about it on Odroid Magazine
that would solve redundancy for data but not for the server?
I was also thinking about something like Ceph where you can have multiple clusters nodes and replications of data throughout the cluster, but you would still have only one server running and if that one crashes, the service would be down.
So redundancy of data but not of service.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:42 am

Yes. But if you combine it with dns you could switch to the backup (or do dns load balancing) in an elegant way. True, without an inteligent load balancer layer you risk hitting the dead server.

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:44 pm

Actually I slept on it and remembered the linux has a built-in high availability/ load balancing subsystem that exposes a virtual/floating IP on the master node and keeps health checks/heartbeats between master and slave(s). When the master is down a slave is promoted to master and inherits the virtual ip (with connection table) - so it should be seamless for the client.
More details here: http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/HighAvailability.html

I've seen it in action while failing under a ddos attack on our company's dns servers. The master acted as a load balancer and received all the traffic and died because of the load imposed by the ddos. A slave would take his role and die too in a minute or so. Fun times, but worked well for regular traffic.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:55 pm

yep that is what I had in mind.
Data redundancy can be achieved in many different ways, RAID, Cluster systems, file synchronization, etc.
But for redundancy of service you need a second system that can take over in case the primary server dies.

Return to “General Topics”