Feedback for a future 2.0 version of HC1/2

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Feedback for a future 2.0 version of HC1/2

Unread postby TOMillr » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm

I'd really like to use a HC1/2 as a personal NAS device at home. However, I fear about data safety on the two devices.

A future 2.0 version of both should really switch from the SD-card to a more reliable EMMC slot. Not just because EMMC handles random accesses so much better in the long run, but also because you can check the health over SMART.

Also, the HC1/2 should provide an easy option to create a RAID setup or a second drive to store backups. That could be done by using the HC1/2 metal frame as a basis for a drive-only version that you can hook up to an existing HC1/2. In a perfect world, there would be a direct SATA connection to the first HC1/2, but USB 3.0 could also work.
TOMillr

languages_spoken: english

Re: Feedback for a future 2.0 version of HC1/2

Unread postby DHGE » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:38 pm

You could read some posts of tkaiser about SD Cards vs EMMC in several fora dealing with SBCs.
-> Basically: for a NAS EMMC is overkill. Get a reliable SD Card.
Some SD cards are smart capable I read.

OMV deals with the reliability of removable media with the Flash plugin. Works here fine.
http://www.openmediavault.org/

For backup purposes I use a second NAS. My primary NAS is a hc1, my second NAS is an earlier purchase of an XU4 that got me trouble with unreliable USB powered drives.
I use the XU4 with a powered 3,5" USB drive.
The data gets synced as soon as the XU4 is powered on via syncthing. I usually power the backup device on once a month.

Vital data of my other devices is immediately synced using syncthing to the 24h running hc1 and rsynced via rsnapshot to external media when available. The external media is rotated monthly among 5+ harddrives.
https://syncthing.net/
DHGE

languages_spoken: english german
ODROIDs: XU-4, hc1

Unread postby mad_ady » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:57 pm

I didn't know about syncthing, thanks for sharing. It looks like a dropbox replacement, but not a backup tool (with versioning, etc)
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby DHGE » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:22 pm

@mad_ady
you are right
I kicked Dropbox because of privacy concerns.
I do not use versions very much. I have them via rsnapshot for config files and might (just for bragging) set up a local git repository for that.
I cases where I had a hardware failure I always got away with the latest version so far.

https://docs.syncthing.net/users/versioning.html
DHGE

Unread postby mad_ady » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:19 pm

Thanks!
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby TOMillr » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:06 am

DHGE wrote:OMV deals with the reliability of removable media with the Flash plugin. Works here fine.
http://www.openmediavault.org/

Interesting, do you have some additional information about this plugin?
TOMillr

Unread postby meveric » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:27 am

why not simply moving the OS on the HDD/SSD? That way the SD card only houses the bootloader and Kernel.. if that breaks, just put it on another SD card and you can keep going.
Aside from that.. I have a couple ODROIDs that run entirely from SD card and are up and running for about 3-4 years by now.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby TOMillr » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:39 am

meveric wrote:why not simply moving the OS on the HDD/SSD? That way the SD card only houses the bootloader and Kernel.. if that breaks, just put it on another SD card and you can keep going.
Aside from that.. I have a couple ODROIDs that run entirely from SD card and are up and running for about 3-4 years by now.

I'm very picky about drive noise and power consumption.

By separating the OS and database from the media and data files, I can browse the content of my NAS/Plex Media Server without having to spin up the HDDs. That'd only happen once I actually access one of the files.
TOMillr

Unread postby meveric » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:56 am

TOMillr wrote:By separating the OS and database from the media and data files, I can browse the content of my NAS/Plex Media Server without having to spin up the HDDs. That'd only happen once I actually access one of the files.

First you could put that particular part on the SD as well with some simple symlinks, or if it's actually a "good" database it would cache in memory anyway. But then again, you probably need to access files from plex all the time anyway, therefore your need to separate them.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby DHGE » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:14 pm

TOMillr wrote:Interesting, do you have some additional information about this plugin?

folder2ram
https://github.com/bobafetthotmail/folder2ram

http://omv-extras.org/joomla/index.php/ ... 4/4-stable
openmediavault-flashmemory
DHGE

Return to General Chat