languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4 (should fix it tho)
H2+ with netcard.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

XU4 Recommendations 2022

Post by ChicoDeGoma »

Greetings!

I was getting ready to revive my XU4 because I got a corrupted install years ago, when I realized I'm not really sure which OS should I be installing, and since I'm gonna ask, we could debate best practices for the board since it was released almost 10 years ago.

So far, I've seen that the best options are Ubuntu and Debian.
Debian has:
  • The minimal installs from meveric (Jessie and Stretch, Jessue already got end-of-life [not extended] and Stretch is not even OldOldStable)
  • Armbian (which is supported but I've read some posts that at some point almost got its support dropped)
I mention meveric because I started tweaking on odroid with his OS and because I liked his builds a lot.
I'm not implying he has to do anything to upgrade them, just pointing out the state.

I know nothing about Ubuntu or Android, currently didn't play with them on this setting and context.
So I was wondering what should I be getting if I want something not too old, mostly focused on secutiry than on features, since I plan to run something open to the inernet.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: XU4 Recommendations 2022

Post by odroid »

Other latest alternatives

1. A generic Ubuntu 22.04 desktop with GPU hardware accelerated Chromium browser.
viewtopic.php?p=349930#p349930

2. GPU/VPU accelerated all in one Fedora 36
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=44789

ChicoDeGoma
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4 (should fix it tho)
H2+ with netcard.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: XU4 Recommendations 2022

Post by ChicoDeGoma »

Oh those looks cool from a quick check, I will check deeper later as the usecase I wanted to is headless server (that's why meveric builds were so cool) because I'm sure I could probably just not get the DE flavour.

Return to “General Topics”