WiFi/Bluetooth Dongle

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

WiFi/Bluetooth Dongle

Unread postby angelscream09 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:55 am

Has anyone ever tried and got to work a combo WiFi/Bluetooth dongle like this https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Adapte ... B01HXKHBFG
angelscream09

languages_spoken: english

Re: WiFi/Bluetooth Dongle

Unread postby odroid » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:41 am

We tried a similar one with Realtek RTL8723BU chipset.
But we couldn't make a driver due to poor Linux support and gave up.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby angelscream09 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:52 pm

It would be nice to see ODROID incorporate onboard WiFi and bluetooth.
angelscream09

Unread postby meveric » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:51 pm

angelscream09 wrote:It would be nice to see ODROID incorporate onboard WiFi and bluetooth.

Please don't on board wifi and bluetooth are known to have issues on most boards they are incorporated in.
The WiFi signal normally sucks and you have to disable it in order to use a good quality USB dongle.
It increases production costs and people start complaining that it costs more than an RPi, and that's due to the fact you integrate something that is rarely used, or disabled for better products.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:04 pm

Something like this https://www.ebay.com/p/Wireless-WiFi-Br ... 1903580172 might be useful, but it's more expensive than a usb wifi dongle
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby angelscream09 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:00 am

Maybe on the bottom of the board with an M.2 slot like on the UDOO.
angelscream09

Unread postby Ronaldleess » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:01 am

meveric wrote:
angelscream09 wrote:It would be nice to see ODROID incorporate onboard WiFi and bluetooth.

Please don't on board wifi and bluetooth are known to have issues on most boards they are incorporated in.
The WiFi signal normally sucks and you have to disable it in order to use a good quality USB dongle.
It increases production costs and people start complaining that it costs more than an RPi, and that's due to the fact you integrate something that is rarely used, or disabled for better products.

I totally agree with that. For one thing, not every XU5 board would be using WiFi, making it a waste of board space and of power. Secondly, many people want more powerful WiFi chipsets than would likely be put on an SBC board, or want special capabilities that wouldn't be in a lowest-common-denominator type of chip, and lastly there could be unknown security issues involved with having an onboard WiFi/bluetooth chip that might not be addressed by a user that isn't looking at the setup details - I.E someone who simply burns an image and runs with it without much thought. One would think such configurations would never be the default - but who knows how any random OS built for this board would be configured. Of course the burn-n-go people are always in trouble. :-(

I'd like to see a dongle from Odroid that doesn't use any Realtek chip :-)
Last edited by Ronaldleess on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am The Umbrella Man
Ronaldleess

ODROIDs: XU4 C1 C1+

Unread postby Ronaldleess » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:16 am

angelscream09 wrote:Maybe on the bottom of the board with an M.2 slot like on the UDOO.

++

That's a much better use of board space, and a good selling point. "Up to 867 Mbps" => from Amazon advert for M.2 WiFi for $18.

Don't know how much hardware documentation is available for devs tho ... must be enough if UDOO is doing it.
I am The Umbrella Man
Ronaldleess

ODROIDs: XU4 C1 C1+

Unread postby angelscream09 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:07 am

UDOO's have 2 M.2 slots. One for the WiFi/bluetooth combo and one for an SSD. The only drawback is that they are way more expensive.
angelscream09

Return to General Chat