Power down if volts gets to low on solar power?

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Power down if volts gets to low on solar power?

Unread postby Raymond Day » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:08 am

I just order a ODROID-XU3 with a 64GB Linux eMMC. I like that it can use all 8 cores at the same time and at 1.9GHz.

I like to put this on my solar power like my ODROID-XU is. But if the power goes to about 12.3 or so volts it seems like it can't use the hard drives good. Is there any thing that can plug in USB that can tell it at what voltage to turn it's self off. I know they have things like this for like laptops if the battery gets to low.

I think this ODROID-XU3 should be good. I all ways wanted a fast 64GB eMMC too. With it I think I can store all the most used data on it so both hard drives will be at sleep most the time.

-Raymond Day
Raymond Day

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid-U2, XU4, C1+,

Re: Power down if volts gets to low on solar power?

Unread postby odroid » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:41 am

The Under-voltage Lockout (UVLO) threshold is 2.7Volt
and The Over-voltage Lockout (OVLO) threshold is 6.3Volt.
Your solar power must supply 5Volt +/-0.3V stably to protect your XU3.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby Raymond Day » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:47 pm

If the solar power goes below 12 volts I want it to switch to other power or turn off.

Looking on the web I found this.

It looks like it will work for what I need. I guess I could hook it up to USB and do it's settings and it will be all setup. Have not got it yet. 4 more days from now should have it.

Will post back here how/if if works for me good.

It was neat to see my Odroid-XU3 boot up with the 8 like start icons on the top of the screen to say it can do 8 cores at one time.

-Raymond Day
Raymond Day

Unread postby Raymond Day » Sat May 16, 2015 2:23 pm

Still testing this out but I got a board that takes it's 12 volts from what has the most. So I put a 12 volt power supply on it but put some 10 watt resistors on it to drop it down to 11.7 volts. so if the battery's go to about 11.6 volts it should switch to the AC power.

I got this board.

About 3 days ago I unplug my solar power so it will just run on the battery's. Last I check battery's at 12.7 volts.

I got the 100 picoUPS but looks like could get free shipping with a power supply and the 120 one.

-Raymond Day
Raymond Day

Unread postby phaseshifter » Sat May 16, 2015 3:04 pm

you can take a 12 volt battery as low as 10.5 volts but then if you go lower u risk damage to the battery..your automated setup there i see .
4.9.xx.xx odroids
phaseshifter

ODROIDs: opp sys.. ubuntu .kernel 4.9.xx.xx.c1+ ..c-2..xu3 lite,xu4...vu7,vu8,c-shell -II..c-shel-II,uart,hi-fi ,,hi-fi2,,show,w-board,6x16GB emmc`s 3.5 inch touch...other odroid acc`s as well

Unread postby phaseshifter » Sun May 17, 2015 12:09 pm

ok when you get the unit in question it looks straight forward set the input voltage to 12 volts if it is not all ready...u want the unit to come out of battery power at 10.7volts and switch to mains at that voltage...this means your battery will always be safe ...when your battery is going back into charge state ..you will have increased the length of battery life ..some beg to differ saying 10 volts don't do it you will shorten your battery life....on another note you want to set the cut back in to battery state at 10.8 volts generally ...and you will be wanting the xu3 to be running whilst the battery voltage is between 10.7 and 13.3...12.8 is generally a full charged state of a agm..sla etc not under charge....fully charged battery's that are floating will be at 13.3 to 13.5 and if you use the unit as a charger it will max out at 14.4 then drop out to 13.3 to 13.5 and float there if you use a separate solar charger..use a mmpt type it will be the best you will be able to get...charger technology wise..and will run at those figures i have stated...it will float at 13.3 to 13.5 given those figures i hope you can make some sense out of that..also another factor to take into hand is the amp/hours of the battery..the higher you go in storage = A/hrs the longer it will run of battery power and longer to charge to full capacity..as well..
Last edited by phaseshifter on Sun May 17, 2015 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4.9.xx.xx odroids
phaseshifter

ODROIDs: opp sys.. ubuntu .kernel 4.9.xx.xx.c1+ ..c-2..xu3 lite,xu4...vu7,vu8,c-shell -II..c-shel-II,uart,hi-fi ,,hi-fi2,,show,w-board,6x16GB emmc`s 3.5 inch touch...other odroid acc`s as well

Unread postby phaseshifter » Sun May 17, 2015 12:34 pm

and of coarse you want the output of the unit set to 5 volts to power the xu3..remark although i am sill a wee bit confused what i have explained is ...if in fact the unit is programmable with input parameters and cut in -cut out switch on mains -switch off mains..i think i got it covered...
4.9.xx.xx odroids
phaseshifter

Unread postby phaseshifter » Sun May 17, 2015 5:12 pm

the usb-200 is the unit u are getting correct..this is what web page comes from your link...i after fully reading your notes,dont think it`s the way to go although if u intend running it in a car which u have not stated ????,, you want to have both 5volt to power the odroid and 12 volt to power external hdds is this correct..ok you really need to go to the 24 volt market on battery`s...get a 24 to 12 volt converter.. and get a 24 volt to 5 volt converter get either a 24 volt 60-80 watt solar panel..if you have panels already you can put 2 in series to gain the 24 volts needed ..spend some money on some decent agm battery's.. and get a mppt charger regulator too fit between your panels and battery..if in fact you have a /and or more than one battery pls specify what apparatus you have on hand..were not mind readers ..but we do need to know what you do and do not have..ok you can run a 24 volt sine wave inverter off your battery bank this can go down to the 12 volt system if u wish..12 or 24 volt inverter..after that use a 4 way mains power bank ad plug the plug packs in to that ..this is what is an easy low cost system you will need at least a 80 A/hr agm deep cycle battery a car battery will not suffice...there are many avenues of doing sch power systems but here are a few to think about....an inverter will tell you when it needs to be shut down it starts beeping and screaming in very audible high pitch..if you go higher on the battery capacity's i dont think you will ever run into needing mains power at all...
4.9.xx.xx odroids
phaseshifter

Unread postby phaseshifter » Mon May 18, 2015 5:42 am

ok with the pico 120 unit that will be fine calculate your battery A/hrs for what u require

the output is 12 volt i am a bit weary about it`s output current though....you need 12 volts at at least 4 amps and if you want to run external hdds you will need greater out of the 12 volt output..i would get a usb docking station that runs 12 volt other wise .. i suggest you get usb hdds...

you will also need to convert the output down to 5 volts 'units can be found on the net "...
having said this it looks ok it will keep your battery at a good float state..

i would recommend at least a 40A/hr agm deep cycle batter..also found on the net...i dont know what battery or your panels are at present pls post these as i can then further assist you...thanks phase..

i would go with an 80 A/hr agm really and that would keep your system online for quite some time a 40 a/hr wold effectively give you quite a lot of hours with not being charged i think around 10 hours minimum so i would not be using a car battery there not designed that way..they are high discharge high recharge type battery..
Last edited by phaseshifter on Mon May 18, 2015 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
4.9.xx.xx odroids
phaseshifter

Unread postby phaseshifter » Mon May 18, 2015 6:07 am

Raymond Day wrote:If the solar power goes below 12 volts I want it to switch to other power or turn off.

Looking on the web I found this.

It looks like it will work for what I need. I guess I could hook it up to USB and do it's settings and it will be all setup. Have not got it yet. 4 more days from now should have it.

Will post back here how/if if works for me good.

It was neat to see my Odroid-XU3 boot up with the 8 like start icons on the top of the screen to say it can do 8 cores at one time.

-Raymond Day

just run the unit completely off solar..also look on the net for a 12 volt screen..that will suit your needs
4.9.xx.xx odroids
phaseshifter

Unread postby Raymond Day » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:04 pm

Found a better one. It will use the 12 volt power from what ever has the most. So I hooked a 12 volt brick power supply to it and my solar battery's mostly stay over 12 volts. So it stays on them.

It works real good. I put a switch on the battery side to test it and I can switch it on and off and the server stays going. There is a little LED light on the board. It stays red for me. It goes green when on the power supply.

-Raymond Day
Raymond Day

Unread postby jackdeive01 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:55 pm

odroid wrote:The Under-voltage Lockout (UVLO) threshold is 2.7Volt
and The Over-voltage Lockout (OVLO) threshold is 6.3Volt.
Your solar power must supply 5Volt +/-0.3V stably to protect your XU3.

Hello,

I am looking for some solar chargers but I have no idea from where I can buy them.
So can you please suggest me any online site for buying solar chargers??
Thanks in Advance.
jackdeive01

Unread postby odroid » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:00 pm

What do you want to do with the solar charger?
Do you need a solar powered ODROID?
odroid
Site Admin

ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby Raymond Day » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:49 pm

Mine is working good now. I will try and find the things I have to have my server on solar now.

Looked up "deep cell batteries" They can go below 12 volts over and over and will not mess them up. A car battery is will mess it up if you go under 12 volts a few times.

Got my battery's out in the garage and my server is like 50 feet in my bed room from the garage. I used thick wire about like jumper cables thick to go that 50 feet back to my room. This makes it so I still get good power all the way back to my room.

Here is a photo of my deep cell battery's in the garage.

Got a solar controller a good one now. This one. Can see if some in that last photo. With that one I can run a like Ethernet cable back to my bedroom and see it like in this photo. I got some other things it's powering too like a clock and even a USB 3.0 to charge up some things.

Got this small board to take power from 2 places and what every has the most do it on the one out put of it.

Got from the same place a car like PC power supply. along with the case for it.

Got a 30 amp AC to DC power supply with a adjust 4 to 16 volts on it.That way when I turn it down in volts that AMP's will still be up to spin up the hard drive.

The M4-ATX can monitor it's power with a USB and program. It keeps the 12 and 5 volts stable real good.

I can switch that power supply off and my server still runs off the battery's and I can turn the adjust up and down and as I do can see the LED's on the picoUPS-120 change from Red to green. Or green to red. Rad is on the battery and green is on the power supply so I can put it right when it switches to how low I want the battery's to go.

Found out too have to check the water level every now and then in the deep cell battery's. If it gets to low can mess up the battery.

-Raymond Day
Raymond Day

Return to General Chat