languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID U3
ODROID XU4
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: [GUIDE] Installing EmulationStation

Unread post by AndTheCookies » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:54 am

Sorry, but one more thing. :)

How do I map input bindings with this new setup? Does it still go through Retroarch?

I was trying to do it manually. I pressed F1 after booting a game and went into Settings. Somehow the A button (or whatever pressing X is supposed to do) got disabled. So I can no longer modify Retroarch menus. I tried deleting Retroarch.cfg, but somehow that did not fix it. Guess I am just going to reinstall the image because I don't know what else to do. :lol:

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Unread post by meveric » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:43 am

AndTheCookies wrote:Sorry, but one more thing. :)

How do I map input bindings with this new setup? Does it still go through Retroarch?
Retroarch should be autoconfigure the controller if found correctly.
AndTheCookies wrote: I was trying to do it manually. I pressed F1 after booting a game and went into Settings. Somehow the A button (or whatever pressing X is supposed to do) got disabled. So I can no longer modify Retroarch menus.
You should be able to navigate through menu using the X and Y Key on the Keyboard.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

AndTheCookies
ODROID XU4

Unread post by AndTheCookies » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:51 am

meveric wrote: Retroarch should be autoconfigure the controller if found correctly.
It does, but it assigns the wrong buttons (example: A is assigned to X). I want to be able to map the buttons manually, but I cannot find the Retroarch.cfg file where the settings are saved.
meveric wrote: You should be able to navigate through menu using the X and Y Key on the Keyboard.
I know, but I can't. Somehow the button for X was changed to "nul" so it broke. It should be working now as I am almost done re-installing the image from scratch. =P

But where does Retroarch save its settings? I knew where the directory was in the old distribution I used in January of 2015, but I cannot find it now.

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Unread post by meveric » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:02 am

AndTheCookies wrote: It does, but it assigns the wrong buttons (example: A is assigned to X). I want to be able to map the buttons manually, but I cannot find the Retroarch.cfg file where the settings are saved.
Check /usr/share/libretro/autoconfig/udev/ this is where the autoconfig files are stored. You could manually edit the files matching your controler.
AndTheCookies wrote: I know, but I can't. Somehow the button for X was changed to "nul" so it broke. It should be working now as I am almost done re-installing the image from scratch. =P

But where does Retroarch save its settings? I knew where the directory was in the old distribution I used in January of 2015, but I cannot find it now.
Normal config path is $HOME/.config/retroarch/
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

AndTheCookies
ODROID XU4

Unread post by AndTheCookies » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:20 am

Thanks again, Meveric. The Retroarch.cfg in $HOME/.config/retroarch/ was the file I needed to delete.

If you are feeling ambitious, I have a new flurry of questions to shoot your way. :D

(1) Previously I was using your GameStation Turbo image from early 2015, but I am now fully updated. Ever since the update, SNES and Genesis no longer run full speed. There are audio glitches, frame skips and random speed ups. Just before the update, I was getting perfect SNES emulation using snes9x_libreto.so instead of snes9x_next_libreto.so.

(2) Another issue from the update: after closing out of a game, it can take up to 12 seconds for EmulationStation to relaunch. Previously it was instant. Also, after closing EmulationStation manually, it will periodically keep opening. There is no sure way to close the program permanently. Sometimes it will work. Other times it will keep opening and opening indefinitely.

(3) With the old interface, I was using "retroarch -L <core> <config>" as the command, but your pre-configured es_systems.cfg uses a new command system. All of the commands are "xbmc-" followed by a console name. So I don't know how to choose the cores or which config files each emulator uses. This is important because I use a Sega Saturn controller that needs to be configured differently for each type of game (e.g. Genesis games use the A, B and C buttons, but SNES games use B, C, Y and Z)

(4) Is there any way to disable and/or remove Antimicro? It causes all kinds of slowdown, it routinely freezes up, and it usually delays shutdown while the system struggles to close it.

(5) Reicast does not work. It will not even open. Since it came preinstalled, and configured into EmulationStation, I thought it would work. But it does not. Hmmm.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:03 am

AndTheCookies wrote:(1) Previously I was using your GameStation Turbo image from early 2015, but I am now fully updated. Ever since the update, SNES and Genesis no longer run full speed. There are audio glitches, frame skips and random speed ups. Just before the update, I was getting perfect SNES emulation using snes9x_libreto.so instead of snes9x_next_libreto.so.
It's been a while since I made a full performance test, there are like 10 different SNES cores by now. I used snes9x_next in the past since it was working best, but I think you're reight that snes9x_next got slower.
There are a couple alternatives that might work better, not only snex9x, but also catsfc or pocketsnes you might want to try. Sadly I get very little feedback on this topic, so it's possible other cores are much better by now :)
AndTheCookies wrote: (2) Another issue from the update: after closing out of a game, it can take up to 12 seconds for EmulationStation to relaunch. Previously it was instant. Also, after closing EmulationStation manually, it will periodically keep opening. There is no sure way to close the program permanently. Sometimes it will work. Other times it will keep opening and opening indefinitely.
I made a hack for EmulationStation. EmulationStation tends to fail to recover after you quit a game. This normally leads to EmulationStation still running in the background, but you don't see it.
I made a check that tests if EmulationStation is still running, but no program (fullscreen program) is running, if this happens two or three times in a row, that means EmulationStation is no longer working correctly and i kill the program and restart it. That's done by a script that is started instead of lunching EmulationStation on its own. Could be that the timeouts are a little bit large at the moment, but it's better than not recovering at all.
Not sure why it keeps restarting after you quit it completely. That should not happen.
AndTheCookies wrote: (3) With the old interface, I was using "retroarch -L <core> <config>" as the command, but your pre-configured es_systems.cfg uses a new command system. All of the commands are "xbmc-" followed by a console name. So I don't know how to choose the cores or which config files each emulator uses. This is important because I use a Sega Saturn controller that needs to be configured differently for each type of game (e.g. Genesis games use the A, B and C buttons, but SNES games use B, C, Y and Z)
you can replace the xbmc-<system> with the old retaroch -L <core> <config> option if you want to. Check /usr/local/bin/xbmc-* and you'll find the cores that I use :)
AndTheCookies wrote:(4) Is there any way to disable and/or remove Antimicro? It causes all kinds of slowdown, it routinely freezes up, and it usually delays shutdown while the system struggles to close it.
I'm thinking about rewriteing starter script including antimicro. In the past antimicro caused issues when you tried to close it, when i forced to close, it caused even more issues. Therefore I froze the process when you quite a game and restarted it when you were started another one, but that means that the program was still frozen when you restart or turn off the ODROID.
My last tests with antimicro were more satisfying which means, it should now be possible to savely turn off antimicro after you quit an game without having issues. That would prevent the issues you see.
Let me do some tests and if it works, I will push an update for the starters.
AndTheCookies wrote:(5) Reicast does not work. It will not even open. Since it came preinstalled, and configured into EmulationStation, I thought it would work. But it does not. Hmmm.
It requires BIOS files in /home/odroid/.reicast/data/ dc_boot.bin and dc_flash.bin

AndTheCookies
ODROID XU4

Unread post by AndTheCookies » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:05 am

meveric wrote:catsfc or pocketsnes you might want to try.
Are these available in the bad cores folder? I looked before and did not see them. I know PocketSNES is what the Raspberry Pi uses, and it seems to be the best right now.
meveric wrote:I made a hack for EmulationStation ...
I remember last year when you first implemented the code for this. I think you can find that post in this same thread. It always worked great in early 2015. I don't know why it is having issues now. More about EmulationStation booting after close: it does not matter if I press ALT+F4 or close EmulationStation through the quit menu, it will randomly open back up afterward. It is not something that happens consistently either. And sometimes it happens several times in a row. Very strange indeed.
meveric wrote:you can replace the xbmc-<system> with the old retaroch -L <core> <config> option if you want to. Check /usr/local/bin/xbmc-* and you'll find the cores that I use :)
Great! I will take a look. I really want to understand Retroarch/Libreto better and the command prompts they use. Do you recommend any sources of literature I could read up on?
meveric wrote:it should now be possible to savely turn off antimicro after you quit an game without having issues. That would prevent the issues you see.
So AntiMicro is necessary for controllers to work in Retroarch?
meveric wrote:It requires BIOS files in /home/odroid/.reicast/data/ dc_boot.bin and dc_flash.bin
Not sure how I forgot that. :)

Also, from some Googling I did, it appears I should do this too:
If the game does not start via the icon from the start menu (could be that it does not work the first time) then start the emulator from the command line with

Code: Select all

reicast_start

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:42 am

AndTheCookies wrote:Are these available in the bad cores folder? I looked before and did not see them. I know PocketSNES is what the Raspberry Pi uses, and it seems to be the best right now.
yes they should be both part of the retroarch-cores-bad package.
AndTheCookies wrote:I remember last year when you first implemented the code for this. I think you can find that post in this same thread.
That was a different patch, it was for an older version of EmulationStation which was using glshim. That version ALWAYS crashed when you quit a game.
And the workaround back then was to ALWAYS restart EmulationStation.
The newer Version of EmulationStation now uses native OpenGL ES 2.0 and does not crash on exit of a game. Sometimes it recovers normal and you return to the same screen (game selection) where you left off.
Sadly it does not always work, and that's where the new hack comes in. Since EmulationStation is no longer crashing, but simply runs in background without recovering, I force the program to crash and restart it IF it does not recover.
AndTheCookies wrote:More about EmulationStation booting after close: it does not matter if I press ALT+F4 or close EmulationStation through the quit menu, it will randomly open back up afterward. It is not something that happens consistently either. And sometimes it happens several times in a row. Very strange indeed.
Not quite sure. Could be that the exit doesn't work as it should either. The script is checking if a process of EmulationStation is still running and IF yes, but it's not in full screen mode, it assumes the program froze and will first force crash it and then restart it. Could be that EmulationStation even has issues with "normal" exits.
AndTheCookies wrote:Great! I will take a look. I really want to understand Retroarch/Libreto better and the command prompts they use. Do you recommend any sources of literature I could read up on?
There issn't too much info to find. I normally just read the info files and check within retroarch what extra options the cores offer (frameskip etc.).
AndTheCookies wrote:So AntiMicro is necessary for controllers to work in Retroarch?
Not really. In the newest versions of retroarch it can probably removed for most cases. I use it so you can press the left analog button and exit the emulator (it's meant to work even without keyboard connected).
And some very strange cores that require keyboard input, like MSX for example, where I use antimicro to map keyboard keys to controller buttons. It might not even be used at all on your system if you don't have a Xbox controller.
AndTheCookies wrote:Also, from some Googling I did, it appears I should do this too:
If the game does not start via the icon from the start menu (could be that it does not work the first time) then start the emulator from the command line with

reicast_start
hehe that sounds like my writing too :D
reicast_start is what i use if you install it on a differnt image then my own it made sure mapping files where at the correct place and the folders exists that were needed for reicast.
I'm not even sure if that's still needed in the current version of reicast.
Anyway on my image most of this is already prepared config file should be present and stuff like that. So you normally don't have to worry about it.

AndTheCookies
ODROID XU4

Unread post by AndTheCookies » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:52 am

Cool. So if I wanted to just ditch Antimicro, is that possible?

I tried this but it did not work:

apt-get remove antimicro

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:02 am

probably antimicro-odroid but if you check the xbmc-* files you'll see it's called in there so when you replace the xbmc-* calls with retroarch -L <core> <config> it will be gone anyway :)

AndTheCookies
ODROID XU4

Unread post by AndTheCookies » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:13 am

meveric wrote:Check /usr/local/bin/xbmc-* and you'll find the cores that I use :)
I haven't taken a look yet, but would it be possible to modify these? I would love to keep the clean command interface currently going on in es_systems.cfg versus the drawn-out and long retroarch -L <core directory> <config directory>

EDIT:

Nevermind! I understand how this works now. You can see how little I know about Linux. :3

AndTheCookies
ODROID XU4

Unread post by AndTheCookies » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:41 pm

Aaand ... now for a twisted turn of events

After messing around with various Retroarch settings last night, I was getting very poor performance: 20FPS, constant sound glitches, etc.

I am a patient man. So how do I fix it? I reinstall the GameStation Turbo image from scratch, of course!

(1) I download the image (2) Burn it to my eMMC (3) apt-get update / upgrade / dist-upgrade (4) Install EmulationStation (5) Try a SNES game.

And what do I get now? I am getting 3 frames per second and a barely perceptible ripple of sound bites. EmulationStation can barely run. and even RetroArch booted by itself cannot run in full screen without major slowddown!

I think I must have fried the GPU on my ODROID U3!

How unfortunate. :|

memeka
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread post by memeka » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:56 pm

or even more probable: i think dist-upgrade removed the mali drivers and installed instead mesa (software).
try burning again, and run things w/o upgrading anything.

AndTheCookies
ODROID XU4

Unread post by AndTheCookies » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:13 pm

memeka wrote:or even more probable: i think dist-upgrade removed the mali drivers and installed instead mesa (software).
try burning again, and run things w/o upgrading anything.
I just did this, and you are right. Now it works full speed again.

So I can't do the update?

memeka
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread post by memeka » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:57 pm

don;t update graphic drivers

AndTheCookies
ODROID XU4

Unread post by AndTheCookies » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:52 pm

memeka wrote:don;t update graphic drivers
So I did

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
And that did not cause any problems. Are you saying I can't do an apt-get dist-upgrade?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:12 pm

yes you can (and you SHOULD!)
In worse case you only have to reinstall mali400-odroid drivers:

apt-get install --reinstall mali400-odroid
But normally that shouldn't be needed. If mesa drivers really get an update, then reinstalling mali400-odroid drivers should always fix this, but doing a dist-upgrade is very important for Kernel updates and updated packages with changed dependencies. Do NOT skip dist-upgrade!

AndTheCookies
ODROID XU4

Unread post by AndTheCookies » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:55 pm

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I found out what the problem was. It was not a fried GPU nor uninstalled mali drivers.

When the Retroarch.cfg file is deleted, the generic cfg file it creates does not work with ODROID. I don't know exactly what setting is set incorrectly by default, but I know this was the source of the problem; I can recreate it at will.

That being said, all seems to be working at the moment. I am figuring out how to modify configure files to get different control settings for each core, and the hotkeys are finally working again. Now to mess with Reicast to see if I can get it to boot up.

Thanks again.

EDIT:

Tried booting Reicast. It briefly flashes a black window then closes immediately. I tried "apt-get install reicast-odroid," but it said it was already installed. I tried "reicast_start" but it said there was no such command.

I looked in /home/odroid and there was no ".reicast" folder, so I made one. I put a folder called data into it. Then I copied the two BIOS files into it.

I tried running Reicast again from the start menu. It closed immediately. I tried booting it through the Reicast prompt. It closed immediately.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:49 pm

hmm you're using my U3 image, right?
I think the "newer" images (such as XU3/XU4 and C1) had already a preconfigured reicast config with them and the U3 got it only through a update and is probably missing the config files.
Anyway /home/odroid/.reicast/data with the two BIOS files should work, i tried it right now. Make sure the BIOS file names are correct.
but that's the custom config.

You'll also find /home/odroid/.config/reicast/ where the default config file is stored
and /home/odroid/.local/share/reicast/ where the virtual VMUs will be stored. under /home/odroid/.local/share/reicast/ you can also create the subfolder data and put the BIOS files in there and it should work.
It should boot into the BIOS of reicast if you don't open it with a image. Make sure the BIOS file names are correct.

If you have trouble with the config file contact me and I can give you my default as an example.

AndTheCookies
ODROID XU4

Unread post by AndTheCookies » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:53 pm

meveric wrote: You'll also find /home/odroid/.config/reicast/ where the default config file is stored
Yes, the file is there. But modifying it does nothing to Reicast.

Oddly enough, I found a second emu.cfg file in /home/odroid/.reicast. And modifying this one does work.

The emulator recognized my joystick, but only the control pad works. None of the buttons do anything. I really have no idea how to configure this.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:03 pm

AndTheCookies wrote:
meveric wrote: You'll also find /home/odroid/.config/reicast/ where the default config file is stored
Yes, the file is there. But modifying it does nothing to Reicast.

Oddly enough, I found a second emu.cfg file in /home/odroid/.reicast. And modifying this one does work.

The emulator recognized my joystick, but only the control pad works. None of the buttons do anything. I really have no idea how to configure this.
There is only support for a few gamepad devices XBox 360 is working best.
If you check /usr/local/share/reicast/mappings
you will find some default mappings for controller. You could try to create your own mappings file and add it to the config.
There should be a mappings file option for each controller.
I think there is a python script that can create mapping files, but it does not work on Debian, since it requires python modules that don't exist for Debian.
You could also try to use antimicro and map the keyboard keys to control the game to your gamepad buttons.
Or using xboxdrv to "simulate" a XBox 360 controller.

AndTheCookies
ODROID XU4

Unread post by AndTheCookies » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:18 am

From this page, I found the following:
The mapping is "guessed" unless specificly defined (XBox 360 controllers are found automatically)
You can create your own mappings with the help of evtest and add them to the availible mappings files and then specify them in the evdev_mapping_X option.
Does any of this apply to ODROID U3? Can I use the evtest, and how do I do it?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:53 am

evtest is the python script I was talking about.. It does not work on Debian.
But you could create one under Ubuntu and copy the resulting mapping file over to Debian.

AndTheCookies
ODROID XU4

Unread post by AndTheCookies » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:04 am

Hmmm ... So I could burn a Ubuntu image to a micro SD card, install evtest, and observe which buttons create which inputs?

I might actually be willing to do this. lol

Assuming I do, where do I copy the inputs to?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:10 am

The tool itself should create a mappings file which you only need to copy over to the Debian image.
https://github.com/reicast/reicast-emul ... yconfig.py

It requires python_evdev:

try:
    import evdev
except ImportError:
    print("Can't import evdev module. Please install it.")
    print("You can do this via:")
    print("  pip install evdev")
    sys.exit(1)
you could also try using pip to do so, but I don't like pip. It installs tools that don't get security patches. It's a rather unclean way. But might work on Debian as well.

AndTheCookies
ODROID XU4

Unread post by AndTheCookies » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:22 am

I had to install python, evdev and pip in Lubuntu, but I eventually got the py script to run. It recognized my controller, and I got some mappings from the program.

Do I just copy these right into the bottom of the emu.cfg file back on Debian?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:01 am

nope.. check the files under /usr/local/share/reicast/mappings you need to create your own file that looks just like this, and then you add it to your emu.cfg file like this:

[input]
evdev_device_id_1=3
evdev_mapping_1=/home/odroid/mymapping.cfg
Or whatever you called your mappings file or where you put it ;)

AndTheCookies
ODROID XU4

Unread post by AndTheCookies » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:35 am

I put the mapping file into a directory, pointed to it in emu.cfg, and booted into Reicast. The rest is very interesting:

- The buttons I mapped for A and B are both recognized as a press of the A button

- This button I didn't map at all is recognized as X, in addition to the button I actually mapped as X

- None of the buttons register as a B button

Ha

Something weird I did notice: the Reicast mapping python script asked me to map C, D and Z buttons. The DreamCast doesn't have these so I opted to skip them. Are they important? Is the real B button hidden among these?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:12 am

AndTheCookies wrote:Something weird I did notice: the Reicast mapping python script asked me to map C, D and Z buttons. The DreamCast doesn't have these so I opted to skip them. Are they important? Is the real B button hidden among these?
There were some controllers that had C D and Z

Which were used in some fighting games.
There were quite a few different controllers for the Dreamcast: http://planetdc.segaretro.org/hardware/ ... index.html

but yes,normally you don't need these buttons and no none of them are used as the B button.
I admit I never tried the mapping option and mapping files up to now, since I have a Xbox 360 controller, I never needed to bother about setting up another controller (or better I made sure XBox 360 was working in the past).

If I have a little more time, I might try adding a different controller and see how it works. I can also compile the emulator for myself with some debugging output, so I can check what happens if you press a button.. so i can check if the mapping works correctly.

But that will take some time.

AndTheCookies
ODROID XU4

Unread post by AndTheCookies » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:35 am

If I have a little more time, I might try adding a different controller and see how it works. I can also compile the emulator for myself with some debugging output, so I can check what happens if you press a button.. so i can check if the mapping works correctly.

But that will take some time.
No, that's OK. Unless you are just curious yourself, you don't have to go through the trouble for me.

I had no idea some DreamCast controllers had C and Z buttons. Very interesting. And I thought I was a pretty big fan of the console too. Of course, I think the controller should have had 6 face buttons from the beginning like the Sega Saturn, but that is another topic for another day.

I am going to mess with the config and see if I can't get it working.

Another issue I forgot to mention: the way my joysticks are setup, both P1 and P2 are mapped to the same joystick, each using different buttons. Bur it seems Reicast is not compatible with this setup. If I do this ...

evdev_device_id_1=0
evdev_device_id_2=0
Reicast will not boot. That is too bad because it means two players are not possible with my current joystick.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:41 am

another benefit of the XBox 360 wireless controller, the Wireless PC receiver supports up to 4 joysticks and even if you use only one joystick it registers 4 joystick devices. Which is nice, cause it allows you to use 8 VMUs to save your games on ;)

I never tried to map the same controller on different input devices.. I wonder if it helps using a symlink or so.. I might try that and see how/if it works.

AndTheCookies
ODROID XU4

Unread post by AndTheCookies » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:45 pm

meveric wrote:another benefit of the XBox 360 wireless controller, the Wireless PC receiver supports up to 4 joysticks and even if you use only one joystick it registers 4 joystick devices. Which is nice, cause it allows you to use 8 VMUs to save your games on ;)

I never tried to map the same controller on different input devices.. I wonder if it helps using a symlink or so.. I might try that and see how/if it works.
Finally figured this out. In all the dinking around I was doing before I actually mapped the controller, I had set joystick_device_id to the same ID as my controller. This initially got things working, but it was causing all the issues I was experiencing now. When I set it back to -1, everything works. All the buttons are mapped correctly!

That being said, I am still unable to play two player. It would be necessary to set both device IDs to the same number, and Reicast crashes if I do this. :(

So it looks like this:
[This makes it so only the P1 controller works] wrote: evdev_device_id_1 = 0
evdev_device_id_2 = -1
[This makes it so only the P2 controller works] wrote: evdev_device_id_1 = -1
evdev_device_id_2 = 0
[This makes Reicast crash immediately after starting] wrote: evdev_device_id_1 = 0
evdev_device_id_2 = 0

GermanDroide
languages_spoken: english and Español
ODROIDs: UX4

Unread post by GermanDroide » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:05 am

Please, can any one do a IMG?
Something like laka ,laka Distro doesn't recognize Roms and is a quite obsolete, don't optimezed on XU4 and very poor.

Can you share your IMG please? I can add my roms into the proper directory but not so more... I'm not a codder, Linux is quite hostile... :cry:

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:59 am

You should look around the forum before demanding something that already exists ;)
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=7322
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=19236

BrianBeuken
ODROIDs: C1+
C2
XU4

Unread post by BrianBeuken » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:51 am

meveric wrote:You should look around the forum before demanding something that already exists ;)
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=7322
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=19236
it may exist but sadly it does not work for me, I have tried both images on 8 and 32Gb SD's and attempted to boot on my XU4. but I does not Start up, no kernel loads at all.

I'll try to come back to it, but the posters point about linux being hostile is valid. I'm a coding professional, on Windows and console but never Linux and I find it a real pain to use, and generally avoid any contact with it, so was rather hoping I could find a nice simple img that fired up and went straight to the emulator... Is that what these are meant to do? Perhaps on a different Odroid?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:58 am

Well the second one won't do so out of the box, the first one does.

Did you check on how to flash an image to SD card? If you say it doesn't even boot up the Kernel, that means, something is wrong rigth from the start and not the image.

Did you extracted the images before you flashed them? There are some guides on how to flash an image on SD cards.
If you use the right image for the right ODROID you should at least notice the blue "alive" LED blinking. If it does not blink you already have done something wrong.

Linux is not that hard, in fact many things work much easier on Linux than on Windows (not all but there are cases where Linux is much more handy than Windows).

BrianBeuken
C2
XU4

Unread post by BrianBeuken » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:01 am

Yes I did extract them and again to get a img file while I burned with Win32DiskImager. This has worked for all my SD burns.
Indeed the kernel did not boot on the EmulationSation img which I also thought was very strange, which is why I tried it on another SD. But again no Kernel boot.
The XU4 is working fine with standard Ubuntumate and Debian images. just the linked images from this thread fail

Im sure linux is fine once you get used to it, its not really that interesting to me but I'll pick it up as I need more.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:09 am

Does the image had the XU3 in it's name? Or more specificly, was it this image: http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/images/OGS ... sie.img.xz

You said you wanted to try it on the XU4, right? Is at any point the blue light going on?

BrianBeuken
C2
XU4

Unread post by BrianBeuken » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:22 am

hmm it was the image form the front page, which was 3.0, let me download and try this one.

BrianBeuken
C2
XU4

Unread post by BrianBeuken » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:57 am

The 3.1 image does indeed boot, quickly goes to a Rasbian gui but continues on a script and goes straight to XMBC. making it impossible for me to get back to the gui to set up my wifi to allow me to download anything...exit from XMBC simple leads to a blank screen, and the 3 "demo" files also all go to a blank screen, forcing a power remove reset.
If I don't choose the 3 samples I can look around an empty XMBC but thats all I can do for now.

still nice to see something

BrianBeuken
C2
XU4

Unread post by BrianBeuken » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:26 am

oh no, take that back, this time I was able to exit....and messed around in debian, but it refused to recognise my wifi dongle so...not a lot I could do.

I tried altering the emulation station options to go straight to emulation station...and after a restart...am now at a blank screen with a mouse and nothing else.

sigh...this is the real reason I really don't like linux, its performance is based on too many random factors. Sometimes it works, sometimes...not so much!
:D

Anyway, thanks for the help, I would have really loved to have see the EmulationSation working but I can't really spare any more time with it just now, I may come back to it later.

thatswork
ODROIDs: Odroid C1+, C2 , XU4

Unread post by thatswork » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:42 am

Instead of choosing exit try reboot. I am not sure why but I had the same issue with choosing exit from the XBMC screen.
But I found reboot solved my issue and would actually drop me back to the desktop and from that screen I could setup what I wanted to use as a default Kodi/ Emulation or standard desktop.

BrianBeuken
C2
XU4

Unread post by BrianBeuken » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:56 pm

thanks but I decided to re-burn the SD with Ubuntu, which did recognise my dongle. Rasbian was unable to.
Its all good, I'll come back to it another time.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:37 am

The XU3/XU4 had a very bad issue in the past the so called "black screen issue" it was triggered randomly when you exit the fullscreen mode of a 3D application, such as XBMC, EmulationStation or Retroarch (As you noticed, it doesn't happened always, but quite often).

But it was also fixed a while back. The only thing you need to do is to update the system. Same as on Ubuntu or even on Rasbian just keeping the system up to date is all that is needed to solve many issues:

su -
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

BrianBeuken
C2
XU4

Unread post by BrianBeuken » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:15 am

ok I'll give it one more go later

kaz321123

Unread post by kaz321123 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:05 am

My advice is, you need to GIT GUD! :P

j/k, I've had lots of strange issues getting this to run.

Here's one:

I'm in rom browser...I go to run a mame game like pac-man. It gives me a black screen. I try 'control-alt-F', but I can't get out of it. I end up unplugging it. So much unplugging, rofl! :P

2nd try: I let it sit in rom browser for, hmmm, about 1-2 minutes (possibly till the first time my odroid xu4 stops spinning the fan).

I try to run pac-man, it minimizes a screen, and then voila, it launches! Like you said, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't want to. If I want to exit, I just wear my favorite hat, and touch my nose. Sometimes works, sometimes not, lol.

Same thing when I want to go out to the desktop mode. If I wait for a while inside xbmc, it seems to help.

I'm trying to install the updates suggested recently. Going to see if it helps.

I just like to tinker with technology. I have about 1 billion devices I can play mame on, including rasberry pi 2 (I'm getting 3 in just a bit).

I'm sure it will start working eventually. If I do get a game to launch in mame, the xu4 will likely do REALLY good for power being it is CPU based. The odroid xu4 runs mortal kombat 1 full frames which is awesome, and that's mame version 160. Raspberry Pi 2 runs mortal kombat full frames on .36, but the controller doesn't work on that for some reason. It runs slower on mame 1.06, but I can use a controller on that. It is impressive that this device can do mk1 on 160. :) I'm pleased.

First post also! I lurk because I'm not that good at linux stuff. I don't say much, cuz I'll just end up sounding like a giant noob. :P

field3d

Unread post by field3d » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:02 am

Sorry to write in this old post but how you call a configuration? For example in the raspberry pi is “raspi-config”. Here in the odroid whatnis the equivalent? Or doesn’t exist a command like this?

Thank you

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:55 pm

maybe the TheRA (Retro Arena) has something similar, but by default, such a config does not exist.

ShaneHaumps

Unread post by ShaneHaumps » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:58 pm

This is a cool guide! ***** May I know what is the hardware requirements for this emulator?

Return to “Games and Emulators”