What sites do people use for emulators and roms

Moderators: meveric, mdrjr, odroid

What sites do people use for emulators and roms

Unread postby atarioldskool » Wed May 23, 2018 6:34 pm

Hello all,

I’m new to all this - what sites do people recommend to get emulators and roms ?

There is loads of sites out there but like all of you I just want to go to a site that has stable roms and emulators
Don’t want to be downloading something that doesn’t work properly , or half a game or adverts pop up while playing the game (if such a thing can happen ?)

I am using odroid arena retropie if you guys needed to know this

Thanks for your time
atarioldskool

languages_spoken: english

Re: What sites do people use for emulators and roms

Unread postby meveric » Wed May 23, 2018 10:55 pm

there is nothing you can do to get "emulators" as the emulators are part of your image you can't go to a website and download them.
But there are plenty of sites to get ROMs and ISO files... check for emuparadise it's probably the best source for most games.
PS1 is a little bit complicated as they use a strange way to compress them but they have guides how to deal with that.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby atarioldskool » Thu May 24, 2018 6:30 am

meveric wrote:there is nothing you can do to get "emulators" as the emulators are part of your image you can't go to a website and download them.
But there are plenty of sites to get ROMs and ISO files... check for emuparadise it's probably the best source for most games.
PS1 is a little bit complicated as they use a strange way to compress them but they have guides how to deal with that.

Thank you for that, very much appreciated.

For the following roms there is so many diffrent ones to choose from and I don’t know which one to select
Example MAME there is about 30 - 40 diffrent versions , so many update packs , part 1 to 6
Same goes for N64 -

What are all the diffrent versions ? And which one do I select

As for emulators emuparadise has a section to download emulators gives you option for Android, Linux , Windows
I assume running retropie it would be Linux that I select?

Thanks
atarioldskool

Unread postby meveric » Thu May 24, 2018 6:48 am

atarioldskool wrote:For the following roms there is so many diffrent ones to choose from and I don’t know which one to select
Example MAME there is about 30 - 40 diffrent versions , so many update packs , part 1 to 6

Rather than downloading entire ROM packs you should only download single games.
There are different versions of the games for different countries.. Japanese versions have other texts as US version, or even differ from canadian versions.
Some have a extra level here, some has a different sound there.
Generally a single one should be fine, you don't need all... Get the one with the least amount of letters in the name, all other versions are normally addons, or different languages, or such.
atarioldskool wrote:Same goes for N64 -

Never seen different versions of N64 ROMS, unless it's different languages, and I don't believe you need different languages.

atarioldskool wrote:As for emulators emuparadise has a section to download emulators gives you option for Android, Linux , Windows

Thanks

as I said before you can NOT download emulators.
None of these sites offers emulators for ARM Linux, NONE of these emulators will work.
Once again YOU CAN NOT download and use these emulators!
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby atarioldskool » Thu May 24, 2018 7:50 pm

meveric wrote:
atarioldskool wrote:For the following roms there is so many diffrent ones to choose from and I don’t know which one to select

Rather than downloading entire ROM packs you should only download single games.
There are different versions of the games for different countries.. Japanese versions have other texts as US version, or even differ from canadian versions.
Some have a extra level here, some has a different sound there.
Generally a single one should be fine, you don't need all... Get the one with the least amount of letters in the name, all other versions are normally addons, or different languages, or such.
atarioldskool wrote:Same goes for N64 -

Never seen different versions of N64 ROMS, unless it's different languages, and I don't believe you need different languages.

atarioldskool wrote:As for emulators emuparadise has a section to download emulators gives you option for Android, Linux , Windows

Thanks

as I said before you can NOT download emulators.
None of these sites offers emulators for ARM Linux, NONE of these emulators will work.
Once again YOU CAN NOT download and use these emulators!

Hi meveric,

Thanks for your reply again.

Just a few questions if I may, just so I understand as to why.

Any particular reason why you suggest to only download roms indivials games and not packs ?
Apart from the obvious, taking up memory space with roms/games that you do not need / or play or is it because of what you mentioned earlier I.e diffrent format may have diffrent languages, extra levels etc ?

Ok no problem regarding the emulators I total understand now.

I have told roms from no intro are meant to be the best ones to get ? Not sure if that is correct ?
Just a question on this why is there a few diffrent people creating roms and are available together on emuparadise ?
Is there 1 better than the other to choose from ?
atarioldskool

Unread postby meveric » Thu May 24, 2018 8:07 pm

atarioldskool wrote:Any particular reason why you suggest to only download roms indivials games and not packs ?

Apart from the obvious, taking up memory space with roms/games that you do not need / or play or is it because of what you mentioned earlier I.e diffrent format may have diffrent languages, extra levels etc ?

It's kinda what you complained about.. why are there so many different versions of the same game?! If you download entire packs you have 20 versions of the same game in different languages or slight variations, and tons of games that you probably don't want to play.
Scrapping game informations will take years (as the scrapper site that is used by default is extremely slow).

atarioldskool wrote:I have told roms from no intro are meant to be the best ones to get ? Not sure if that is correct ?

No clue, never bothered about roms from particular users, I rarely have any issues at all.
atarioldskool wrote:Just a question on this why is there a few diffrent people creating roms and are available together on emuparadise ?
Is there 1 better than the other to choose from ?

The hardware to create ROMs is rather expensive only a few people have it and they upload large numbers of roms, that's why you see particular names with many roms, but in total only a few names.
If the hardware to create ROMs would be cheaper there would probably be hundred of more names on there.
I really don't think you need to care about particular names.
meveric

Unread postby atarioldskool » Fri May 25, 2018 9:32 pm

Hi Meveric

I took your advise and going down the route of downloading roms individually rather than getting “packs”
This way I do not need to have games that I never will play but on the flip side it’s bloody taking ages to go through the list of roms lol

On doing so the downloading of individual roms I have noticed that the files are .bin (the image of the file is like a traffic cone)
I panic at first as I thought wth is this as the packs I downloaded they where downloaded like a “proper file”
But I tried the .bin file and it worked so it is all good but I would like to know why is it now downloading as .bin file (traffic cone icon) ? I’m not loosing anything am I? Or using up more memory space ? by having the files like this ?

Thanks
atarioldskool

Unread postby meveric » Sun May 27, 2018 9:14 pm

the .bin stands for "binary" and the traffic cone comes from the video player VLC which thinks .bin files are video files to open. both can be ignored.
.bin is a valid file extension for many emulators.
meveric

Unread postby atarioldskool » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:48 pm

Thank you

I tried it and it worked
atarioldskool

Unread postby nelsonraw » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:06 pm

when it comes to finding emulators or even ROM, i will prefer https://www.emuparadise.me/ which is obviously pretty old and you can find any emulator or even roms there, i jumped few sites earlier as well while going for N64 emulators but to find roms you must try https://romsmania.com
nelsonraw

Return to Games and Emulators