[GAMES] AstroMenace (libGL)

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

[GAMES] AstroMenace (libGL)

Unread post by meveric » Fri May 06, 2016 7:10 am

Thanks to @ptitSebs astonishing GLshim we can play this awesome game on ODROIDs.

Image Image

Image Image

Since the game itself runs fine as is, only GLshim and a starter is required to get the game to work.

Therefore i created a package which you can install from my repository (testing/all package list) with:

Code: Select all

apt-get install astromenace-odroid-launcher
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

robroy
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

Re: [GAMES] AstroMenace (libGL)

Unread post by robroy » Fri May 06, 2016 9:54 am

The astromenace-odroid-launcher seems to need the astromenace binary, according to Synaptic. Where do I obtain that? I'm using an ODROID-XU3, and already added your XU3 list.

The following packages have unresolvable dependencies.  Make sure that all required repositories are added and enabled in the preferences.
astromenace-odroid-launcher
Depends: astromenace but it is not installable
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Unread post by meveric » Fri May 06, 2016 2:01 pm

astromenace should be part of your Linux distro.
It's part of Debian Wheezy and Debian Jessie and Ubuntu as well.

#Debian Wheezy
apt-cache policy astromenace
astromenace:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1.3.2+repack-3~bpo70+1
  Version table:
     1.3.2+repack-3~bpo70+1 0
        100 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-backports/contrib armhf Packages
# Debian Jessie
astromenace:
  Installiert:           (keine)
  Installationskandidat: 1.3.2+repack-3
  Versionstabelle:
     1.3.2+repack-3 0
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ jessie/contrib armhf Packages
# Ubuntu 14.04
astromenace:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1.3.2+repack-3
  Version table:
     1.3.2+repack-3 0
        500 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ trusty/multiverse armhf Packages
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

petevine
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1, MXQ PRO+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by petevine » Tue May 10, 2016 10:39 am

I already provided a quick way to install/run the game as an ordinary user in the original thread:

http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=15998
--
A few packages and other useful stuff for Odroid C1 or ARM64. * PyPy for non-SSE2 CPU's anyone?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue May 10, 2016 1:59 pm

Your version only worked for you on the C1 and only with your fbdev drivers.
It was never working on any other ODROID or on X11 drivers.
There was no packaging involved.
This version runs on default X11 drivers on all ODROIDs.
It requires no altered game files (or manual download of the game) but simply uses a starting script so it runs on the version out of the Ubuntu or Debian repository.

petevine

Unread post by petevine » Tue May 10, 2016 2:51 pm

Don't spread misinformation - the binary is a regular X11 one and should run on any OpenGL ARM system that satisfies the library dependencies. It doesn't require any altered files to run either - the modified config was simply there to provide decent performance out-of-the-box.

The lack of packaging was intentional - you're probably aware it's better to try stuff out in a sandboxed environment? Personally, I don't install stuff from private repos, not because of the lack of trust, but rather, apart from some needless dependencies injection, for overstretched single-man operations it would take much longer to detect a breach.

Why don't you also post direct links to your packages, for easy download and `dpkg -x` handling?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue May 10, 2016 3:54 pm

petevine wrote:Don't spread misinformation - the binary is a regular X11 one and should run on any OpenGL ARM system that satisfies the library dependencies. It doesn't require any altered files to run either
If it's a default binary anyway.. why putting it up in the first place rather than simply taking the game as provided by Debian or Ubuntu?
petevine wrote:the modified config was simply there to provide decent performance out-of-the-box.
"decent out-of-the-box performance" well, I know from personal experience and testing on different ODROIDs, that up to a few days ago the game wouldn't run at all due to some broken checkes when using GLshim.
So it had nothing to do with "performance". We also found that only with disabling FBO (like it is in your config) the game would have started at all on X11.
So this had nothing to do with performance at all.
In fact, now with activated FBO it's a lot faster and has better performance.
petevine wrote:The lack of packaging was intentional - you're probably aware it's better to try stuff out in a sandboxed environment?
Not necessairly it tends to create such system as yours with a "works on my machine" experiences which many users are not able to replicate, since your environment is very specific and ofter does not behave like other systems do. We had some discussions about this a while back where you claimed for building a specific game everything works out of the box and I tried to explain it's not the case due to drivers and settings are found that apparently did not exist on your system.
Packageing things up is easier to handle for users with low experience since they often can even use a graphical installer such as synaptic or software center to simply install the software.
petevine wrote:Personally, I don't install stuff from private repos, not because of the lack of trust, but rather, apart from some needless dependencies injection
The only dependency for this game is glshim, and that's the only added dependency when you install the game from my repository. I don't see the benefit of having every user compile GLshim over and over again only to get a game to run and then use command line calls to even start the game.
You might be a developer or at least someone that is known to linux and knows how to do such things. But there are people out there that just want to "use" an ODROID without having to learn how to compile your own GLshim library. Something that is constantly missing in your guides, that people actually need to do this to get the software to work
petevine wrote:(attached in the previous Glest thread)
(unless they manually download some old binaries of yours which they need to hunt and find somewhere "hidden" in the forum).
petevine wrote:Why don't you also post direct links to your packages, for easy download and `dpkg -x` handling?
First of all my repositories are in my signature and often discussed here in the forums, and downloading a package manually is as easy as navigating your browser to the website and just download it.
Second if I make a link here to directly download the files via wget or whatever I would have to adjust the link over and over again if I do an update, cause with every new version the Link will change, and to be honest, I don't have the time to do something like this.
Third dpkg -x is rather stupid there's nothing inside the packages aside from a .desktop file to launch the game from Menu and a script that does provide an LD_LIBRARY_PATH before calling the game. So extracting these files is rather useless it's easier to start it directly from the command line if you really intend to run the game on your own.

Once again, this package provides nothing but an easy way to install and lunch the game that's already in the library of Debian and Ubuntu.

petevine

Unread post by petevine » Tue May 10, 2016 4:29 pm

Astromenace has been running fine all this time, it's just ptitSeb's glshim was breaking on and off. Nowadays you can turn all three (VBO, VAO, FBO) cores on but it should hardly affect performance.

About the last part: sure, forget about this particular package - I meant regular packages. Links to their directories should be doable; navigating a strange directory structure is not exactly my idea of fun.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue May 10, 2016 5:18 pm

on my XU3 the FPS went from 30 FPS to 45 FPS that's a gain of 50%, for me that's quite a bit more of performance.

The folder structure is far from being complicated. The main folder is:
http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/pool/

I already gave the package list above "all/testing".
While all is the OS and can be ignored, the "testing" is the repository I chose to put it in.
So you click on "testing" From there you check the game you want. "AstroMenace" starts with an A so click on "a" and that's it you already see the game folder.
Only two clicks away. Not sure how complicated that is for you, but I think it's quite simple to understand. Besides that, if you really want to do everything manually (extracting packages, using binaries and manually downloaded content, compiling your own version of GLshim, using command line calls to make use of GLshim, etc.) you should at least be capable of navigating a website.

petevine

Unread post by petevine » Tue May 10, 2016 5:28 pm

meveric wrote:on my XU3 the FPS went from 30 FPS to 45 FPS that's a gain of 50%, for me that's quite a bit more of performance.
Were you looking at FPS on the welcome screen by any chance? The demo differs from start to start, together with the frame rates - on Odroid C1 the effect of FBO is exactly nil. Maybe @ptitSeb could weigh in with some expert opinion?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed May 11, 2016 2:51 am

I just did some speed comparison this time on the C1:

C1 Without FBO
Menu	11.0 LowFPS           13 AvgFPS
Game	 9.0 LowFPS           11 AvgFPS

C1 With FBO          gain                gain
Menu	21.1 LowFPS   91.8%   23 AvgFPS   76.9%
Game	12.8 LowFPS   42.2%   14 AvgFPS   27.3%
So I can definitely see (and feel) a difference here. In game it goes even above 30 FPS at times on the C1.

ptitSeb
languages_spoken: english, french

Unread post by ptitSeb » Wed May 11, 2016 4:24 am

I cannot say much on the technical side.

FBO were not working before, because of the way the game created its main FBO (the one for the game rendering, that has a color attachment and a depth attachement). The issue was it created a depth texture for the depth attachment, and depth texture are not supported on glshim (even if they are supported by the hardware on some or all odroid). I changed glshim to create a renderbuffer in place, and it worked (I havesee this kind of FBO creation only in this game, but maybe it helps for other game, I don't know).

Now, about why the FBO can speed up the rendering, I don't really know for sure. Maybe the drawing in the FBO is more efficiant because there is less interaction with X11 (just at the end, when blitting), or maybe there are effects that use the Texture binded with the FBO were a glReadPixel has to be used when no FBO? I don't know, I'll have to dig in the code to be sure, or do some GL call capture to see what's hapening.

petevine

Unread post by petevine » Wed May 11, 2016 2:17 pm

meveric wrote:I just did some speed comparison this time on the C1:

Menu	11.0 LowFPS           13 AvgFPS
So I can definitely see (and feel) a difference here. In game it goes even above 30 FPS at times on the C1.
Menus are not exactly scientific unless you wait for the same sequence. In game, the difference is not very big (definitely in FBO's favour though, a marked improvement from the time FBO first landed in glshim) which means my tweaked config, which yields about 17-20 FPS without FBO on the welcome screen, is the main difference between our results.

From my last test it seems the game now defaults to VBO=1, VAO=0, FBO=1 on a fresh start. VAO can be turned on manually (I've had it on since like 4 months ago) but it **definitely** has no effect on performance.

In short, well done @ptitSeb!

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed May 11, 2016 3:14 pm

petevine wrote:Menus are not exactly scientific unless you wait for the same sequence.
I waited on the menu for about 1-2 Minutes on each test observing the lowest framerate that was shown wrote that down and wrote down what the average framerate during the menu was.
petevine wrote:In game, the difference is not very big (definitely in FBO's favour though, a marked improvement from the time FBO first landed in glshim) which means my tweaked config, which yields about 17-20 FPS without FBO on the welcome screen, is the main difference between our results.
In game the difference is smaller; true, but it can also be rather high (30FPS) at times. Once again this was tested over several minutes of gameplay (first level).
Besides that you feel the difference in the lower framerates. An improvement of over 42% is not that little and makes all the difference between the game being laggy and unresponsive to it's still playable.
Funny though, that you say Menu is "not exactly scientific" but here mention what your config shows on the Menu ;)

petevine

Unread post by petevine » Wed May 11, 2016 3:51 pm

Yeah, you didn't post any reproducible details about gameplay so that's all I was able to compare.
If it's a default binary anyway.. why putting it up in the first place rather than simply taking the game as provided by Debian or Ubuntu?
Having just installed Astromenace from Ubuntu, it turns out my binary was much better optimized - the load times and in-game transitions are much shorter. Rendering is not affected obviously.

Besides, some brainiac didn't think of pre-packing the VFS data on their build machine, duh!

robroy
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

Unread post by robroy » Wed May 11, 2016 4:02 pm

petevine wrote:Yeah, you didn't post any reproducible details about gameplay so that's all I was able to compare.
Having just installed Astromenace from Ubuntu, it turns out my binary was much better optimized - the load times and in-game transitions are much shorter. Rendering is not affected obviously.

Besides, some brainiac didn't think of pre-packing the VFS data on their build machine, duh!
Why the animosity?
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

petevine

Unread post by petevine » Wed May 11, 2016 4:22 pm

It's just a matter of fact observation as using distro packages is supposed to save time. Do you even understand what the point's about? If not, why the trolling?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed May 11, 2016 4:52 pm

Every distro only downloads the "astromenace-data-src" package and builds the vfs files during install. This is due to some licensing issue and has nothing to do with someone forgetting to build it up front.

petevine

Unread post by petevine » Wed May 11, 2016 5:58 pm

meveric wrote: This is due to some licensing issue
Crossed my mind but apparently there's a `#define separate_cc_vfs` suggestion in the Licence.txt which sounds like the exact workaround to avoid combining CC BY-SA with GPL3.

Return to “Games and Emulators”