[GAMES] SHMUP 3D Shoot 'em up

Moderators: meveric, mdrjr, odroid

[GAMES] SHMUP 3D Shoot 'em up

Unread postby meveric » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:01 am

SHMUP is a arcade-style 3D Shoot 'em up.
Originally created for iPad and iPhones, it was ported to a couple of different devices.
In the end someone made a Linux port.

I took that port and converted it from SDL and OpenGL back to SDL 2 and OpenGL ES and added some improvements.
That way it can run natively on ODROIDs.

As usual you can install it from my repository from the jessie/main and stretch/main (Stretch uses data files found under all/main package list) with:
Code: Select all
apt-get install shmup-odroid
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Re: [GAMES] SHMUP 3D Shoot 'em up

Unread postby fleixi » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:28 am

nice work.

Is it much work to port an SDL Game to SDL2 or do this dependence it on the game?
Do every game using SDL2 using Opengles or is this also depends on the game?
fleixi

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: XU

Unread postby meveric » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:34 am

It all depends on the game.
SDL 1.2 does not know OpenGL ES, that's why OpenGL ES on SDL 1.2 is impossible. (although there are special version that gave GLES support, but that were never official).
SDL 2.0 does know a lot more backend, OpenGL, OpenGL ES 1.1, OpenGL ES 2.0, Wayland, Mir, Windows Phone, etc.
This makes SDL 2 more universal (what's the goal of SDL 2 anyway).
Still you can still program in OpenGL and just use SDL 2 to initialize the rendering window. Which apparently seems to be the easiest way for developers, since many projects work like this.
But that means, it only runs on OpenGL even if SDL 2 is compiled for OpenGL ES and you only have a OpenGL ES system.
So this sucks and often is a show stopper.

Anyway.. With this projects it was relatively easy. Since it was originally made for iPhones/iPad and for that already written for OpenGL ES. And someone just ported it to Linux using SDL 1.2 and OpenGL.
It was rather easy to move to SDL2 for this project, I just had to fix some includes, rewrite the SDL_Init, which allowed me to scale the game from originally fixed 320x480 to Desktop resolution :)

But not every project is that easy.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby fabiensanglard » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:28 am

I wrote the original game with an OpenGL ES module (the design and architecute are explained http://fabiensanglard.net/shmup_android/index.php, I hope you used that.
Would you mind contributing the SDL2 page back to the github project of the game: https://github.com/fabiensanglard/Shmup
fabiensanglard

languages_spoken: english

Unread postby meveric » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:11 pm

Hello and thanks for this great game :)
Sure I'll make a pull request for the SDL2 patch. Although it's not 100% clean I guess. But I guess you can fix that if needed :)
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:47 pm

Update:
Rebuild for Debian Stretch where the game is now available for armhf and arm64 as well.
meveric

Return to Games and Emulators