[GAMES] Stepmania 5

Moderators: odroid, meveric, mdrjr

[GAMES] Stepmania 5

Unread postby meveric » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:57 am

StepMania is a rhythm/music video game, similar to Dance Dance Revolution.

It has many nice features and even supports a dance mat and multiplayer mode.

I was able to find a version made for the RPi and ported to OpenGLES (https://bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/stepmania-gles2)

I removed the RPi specific code and made a few extra changes. The original version was stucked to Window Mode and a 640x480 resolution, i changed the code so it always goes fullscreen and uses the Desktop resolution.

It still seems to have some minor issues, some of the shaders seem not to work correctly.
Still it works rather well and has native OpenGL ES support.

You can install it on my images by using the command:
Code: Select all
apt-get install stepmania-odroid
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Re: [GAMES] Stepmania 5

Unread postby dantefff » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:05 am

Thank you for this port. Just in case someone is facing the same issue, if you make a personalized profile the game will hang (and the entire system would be unresponsive because of ram full) after each song. You can delete the created profile to make it playable again.

@maveric , have you a repository with your modifications (I would like to take a look at this issue)?
dantefff

languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: c1+

Unread postby meveric » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:09 am

nope haven't uploaded it yet.. but i can push it to my github i belive.
As far as i know the port is incomplete as it is, so it's probably no wonder things are still buggy.
Edit:
Anyway I'm uploading the sources to my github right now, so you can check on the code there.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby Derche » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:23 pm

Thanks for sharing, i love new games to try. Awesome! I'm so glad to finally see this here! Challenging but good game!
Derche

languages_spoken: english

Unread postby gabika1941 » Sat May 07, 2016 11:52 pm

I can't install it under Ubuntu, there are just so much unsatisfyable dependencies
gabika1941

ODROIDs: XU3-Lite

Unread postby meveric » Sun May 08, 2016 12:06 am

The game was compiled on and for Debian, so it's not really a wonder you encounter issues with Ubuntu.

Can you list the missing dependencies? Maybe it can be fixed on Ubuntu.
meveric

Unread postby gabika1941 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:10 am

It's easier for me to just post the entire output of apt.
sudo apt-get install stepmania-odroid
Csomaglisták olvasása... Kész
Függőségi fa építése
Állapotinformációk olvasása... Kész
Néhány csomagot nem lehetett telepíteni. Ez azt jelentheti, hogy
egy lehetetlen állapotot kért, vagy ha az unstable disztribúciót
használja, akkor néhány igényelt csomag még nem készült el vagy ki
lett mozdítva az Incoming-ból.
Az alábbi információk segíthetnek megoldani a problémát:

Az alábbi csomagoknak teljesítetlen függőségei vannak:
stepmania-odroid : Függ ettől: libjpeg62-turbo (>= 1.3.1) de az nem telepíthető
Függ ettől: libavcodec56 (>= 10:2.6.4) de az nem telepíthető
Függ ettől: libavformat56 (>= 10:2.6.4) de az nem telepíthető
Függ ettől: libavutil54 (>= 10:2.6.4) de az nem telepíthető
Függ ettől: libswscale3 (>= 10:2.6.4) de az nem telepíthető
E: A problémák nem javíthatók, sérült csomagokat fogott vissza.

Bit of translation: "de az nem telepíthető" means "but it can't be installed"
gabika1941

Unread postby meveric » Sun May 08, 2016 12:59 am

ok the last 4 are just from deb-multimedia and are libs related to ffmpeg
You should be able to solve this like this:
sudo echo "deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org jessie main non-free" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/deb-multimedia.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install deb-multimedia-keyring

libjpeg62-turbo is a Debian specific library and a replacement for libjpeg8 which is used on Ubuntu. You can try downloading and installing it manually:
wget http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libj/libjpeg-turbo/libjpeg62-turbo_1.3.1-12_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i libjpeg62-turbo_1.3.1-12_armhf.deb
meveric

Unread postby gabika1941 » Sun May 08, 2016 1:32 am

now it says this:
sudo apt-get install libavcodec56 libavdevice56 libavfilter5 libavformat56
Csomaglisták olvasása... Kész
Függőségi fa építése
Állapotinformációk olvasása... Kész
Néhány csomagot nem lehetett telepíteni. Ez azt jelentheti, hogy
egy lehetetlen állapotot kért, vagy ha az unstable disztribúciót
használja, akkor néhány igényelt csomag még nem készült el vagy ki
lett mozdítva az Incoming-ból.
Az alábbi információk segíthetnek megoldani a problémát:

Az alábbi csomagoknak teljesítetlen függőségei vannak:
libavcodec56 : Függ ettől: libvpx1 (>= 1.3.0) de az nem telepíthető
E: A problémák nem javíthatók, sérült csomagokat fogott vissza.
gabika1941

Unread postby gabika1941 » Sun May 08, 2016 2:12 am

i reacted too early. Installed that missing package without any problem, and now it works. thanks for your support!
gabika1941

Unread postby hami » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:02 am

Dear Meveric,

do you plan to compile Stepmania 5 also for arm64 to be able to run this game on Odroid C2, please? It would be nice to have such game also on arm64.
Or is there a source code of stepmania-odroid package that I would try to compile it by myself? Thanks in advance.
hami

languages_spoken: english, czech
ODROIDs: C1+, C2

Unread postby meveric » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:47 pm

When I'm back from my vacation (probably around Monday) I can try compiling it for the C2. The sources are available on my github.
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:41 am

I've tried building it, but it's not working yet.. there were quite some complications here and there.
Missing arm64 options as well as a lot of changes for ffmpeg to work, but that was more or less the easy part.

Now i'm missing sys/io.h file which does not exist under arm64 :(

arch/Lights/LightsDriver_LinuxParallel.cpp:6:20: fatal error: sys/io.h: No such file or directory

it is required for ioperm and outb
arch/Lights/LightsDriver_LinuxParallel.cpp:21:29: error: ‘ioperm’ was not declared in this scope
  ioperm( PORT_ADDRESS, 1, 1 );
                             ^
arch/Lights/LightsDriver_LinuxParallel.cpp:22:24: error: ‘outb’ was not declared in this scope
  outb( 0, PORT_ADDRESS );
                        ^
arch/Lights/LightsDriver_LinuxParallel.cpp: In destructor ‘virtual LightsDriver_LinuxParallel::~LightsDriver_LinuxParallel()’:
arch/Lights/LightsDriver_LinuxParallel.cpp:28:24: error: ‘outb’ was not declared in this scope
  outb( 0, PORT_ADDRESS );
                        ^
arch/Lights/LightsDriver_LinuxParallel.cpp:29:29: error: ‘ioperm’ was not declared in this scope
  ioperm( PORT_ADDRESS, 1, 0 );
                             ^
arch/Lights/LightsDriver_LinuxParallel.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void LightsDriver_LinuxParallel::Set(const LightsState*)’:
arch/Lights/LightsDriver_LinuxParallel.cpp:71:29: error: ‘outb’ was not declared in this scope
  outb( output, PORT_ADDRESS );
                             ^

So that's where I'm struggling at the moment.
meveric

Unread postby ptitSeb » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:38 am

I think you better try to patch that driver out, as you will have a hard time to convert that low level driver to 64bits galore (plus, have a parallel port on a ODroid is probably not super common).
ptitSeb

languages_spoken: english, french

Unread postby meveric » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:11 am

Found a way to disable it without much effort :)

diff --git a/configure.ac b/configure.ac
index 2cff3ea..0d2e19a 100644
--- a/configure.ac
+++ b/configure.ac
@@ -146,6 +146,9 @@ powerpc*)
        AC_DEFINE(CPU_PPC, 1, [PPC])
        have_parallel_port=no
        ;;
+aarch*)
+       have_parallel_port=no
+       ;;
 esac
 AM_CONDITIONAL(HAVE_PARALLEL_PORT, test "${have_parallel_port-yes}" = "yes")

let's see what other issues will pop up or if the game actually works.
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:25 am

ok, good news.. I was able to build a working version of stepmania, but I need to do some code cleanup for that.
Give me a little while and there shall be a ODROID C2 version of it.

Edit:
And done, uploading right now
meveric

Unread postby hami » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:09 am

Dear Meveric,

you're amazing. Thank you for your job. Unfortunately I am not able to test it now because my Odroid C2 today returned weird I/O problems which looks like the hw problems (because I have tried four different sd cards with the same results), so I am going to put in on a warranty claim. Hope to have a new piece of C2 soon to test your great job.
hami

languages_spoken: english, czech
ODROIDs: C1+, C2

Unread postby Pirate » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:25 am

Hello everyone I'm new here and I managed to install Stepmania on my Odroid XU4 and it runs very smoothly but I been having a really hard time adding songs. I just can't seem to figure it out. Could you guys help me add songs to stepmania?
Pirate

ODROIDs: odroid xu4

Unread postby meveric » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:53 am

1. Download some song files, for example from here: http://stepmaniaonline.net/index.php?page=downloads
2. Extract the .zip file
3. Copy the folder that you extracted to /home/odroid/.stepmenia-gles-5.0/Songs/

That's it.

In fact everything you search is under /home/odroid/.stepmenia-gles-5.0/
meveric

Unread postby Pirate » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:49 am

Oh wow thank you so much finally I can have a nice compact ddr machine for my living room.
Pirate

Unread postby v0ltumna » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:53 pm

Great to see a more recent version of stepmania on ODROID, good work!
When I start it on my U2 everything seems to work fine. But after some minutes in menu or after playing a song the graphics seem to freeze. I still hear the backgroundmusic and can blindly navigate in the menu, but the graphics on the screen wont change anymore. Has anybody else seen this problem?
v0ltumna

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: U2, U3

Unread postby davidkatosvich » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:02 pm

When it works it's fantastic but like the above poster mention it can freeze.
davidkatosvich

languages_spoken: english, welsh

Unread postby meveric » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:24 pm

Well it's a development version originally created for the RPi.

On my tests it was always working and never freezing, but to be honest, I haven't played it for very long.. only two or three songs at a time, never more.
meveric

Unread postby Pirate » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:32 am

I have a weird issue when adding song packs some packs work fine but when I try to add Xtreme 3 pack the songs are not being detected and I'm not sure why.
Is there something that I'm missing or the game doesn't like certain song packs.

Also, is there a way to have Stepmania be the first thing to launch when you turn on the device?
Pirate

Unread postby meveric » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:03 pm

Pirate wrote:I have a weird issue when adding song packs some packs work fine but when I try to add Xtreme 3 pack the songs are not being detected and I'm not sure why.
Is there something that I'm missing or the game doesn't like certain song packs.

I'm actually not sure, I'm not that deep into the game or the design of the game to answer that question, maybe someone else can.

Pirate wrote:Also, is there a way to have Stepmania be the first thing to launch when you turn on the device?

You should be able to add stepmania to the startup applications.
There are a couple different ways to do so.
Either copy the .desktop file from /usr/local/share/applications/ to $HOME/.config/autostart,
or
search for "Startup Applications" in your settings menu and use stepmenia_start as the program that should be started.

Should be easy to find other guides on the internet on how to start programs automatically.
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:29 pm

Update:
I've updated the game to version 5.1 Beta 2 but it now uses OpenGL renderer instead of OpenGL ES.

I'm using @ptitSeb's gl4es to run in on ODROIDs which should work fine.
I also ported the game to Debian Stretch and you can now install it for Debian Jessie armhf or Debian Stretch armhf/arm64 via:
apt-get install stepmania-odroid
meveric

Return to Games and Emulators