[GUIDE] Dolphin GameCube/Wii Emulator (XU3 only !!)

AreaScout
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U3, XU3, C2, HiFi Shield, XU4, XU4Q,
N1, Go, VU5A, Show2, CloudShell2,
H2, N2, VU7A, VuShell, Go2, C4

[GUIDE] Dolphin GameCube/Wii Emulator (XU3 only !!)

Post by AreaScout »

Dolphin EmulatorImage

In this guide i will show you how to compile X11 GPU driver and dolphin emulator and we will use different compiler switches to optimize heterogeneous multi-processing (HMP) used on XU3, at the moment
of writing i had to use a version from dezember 2014 because latest is broken to do heavy testing on ARM 64 bit architecture also i had to use a different armsoc (X11 driver) to make fullscreen work, ok let's start :)

The linux image i use for this guide is http://odroid.in/ubuntu_14.04lts/ubuntu ... 212.img.xz

First of all we 'need' gcc 4.9 because better support for heterogeneous multi-processing started with 4.9.0, so let's add a repository with gcc 4.9

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gcc-4.9 g++-4.9
next we clone and compile armsoc driver, we need to reset to a special version of it and we have to patch armsoc driver according to this post http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?p=78757#p78757

git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-armsoc
cd xf86-video-armsoc
git reset --hard ddd97ea

wget -O patch.txt http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=igibu3i1
patch -p0 < patch.txt

./autogen.sh
./configure --with-drmmode=exynos --prefix=/usr
make -j8
sudo make install

cd ~
very good :) so now we do dolphin emulator ( reset to spezial commit + patch )

git clone https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin.git
cd dolphin
git reset --hard 8ccd03c

wget -O patch.txt http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=56M7ngde
patch -p0 < patch.txt

cmake . -DUSE_EGL=ON -DOPENGL_gl_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libGLESv2.so -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=/usr/bin/g++-4.9 -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=/usr/bin/gcc-4.9
make -j8
sudo make install
Ok a reboot because of armsoc driver would be good now

Note: there is still room for more performance ( speed is not yet like in the videos show'n below ), the kernel itself and important libraries like libc are not compiled with '-march=armv7ve -mcpu=cortex-a15.cortex-a7' optimization

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNbclYPSQiQ[/youtube][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYw_KvDYRec[/youtube][youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmeWmtH96js[/youtube]

Enjoy !
Attachments
Screenshot2.png
Last edited by AreaScout on Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Re: [GUIDE] Dolphin GameCube/Wii Emulator ( XU3 only !! )

Post by meveric »

just a few comments...
Dolphin runs on other images as well, the named image is not necessary, nor is gcc-4.9 required (it works starting from gcc-4.7), the changed armsoc driver is required for fullscreen (since the driver HK provides does not work in fullscreen) if you want to play in window mode the drivers from HK are sufficient.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

AreaScout

Re: [GUIDE] Dolphin GameCube/Wii Emulator (XU3 only !!)

Post by AreaScout »

yes, that's right but gcc 4.9 should be used as a standart in future image releases also the kernel should be compiled with the new flags available resently in gcc, there is a lot ongoing development for arm cpu's, that's cool :)

RG

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout »

and not to forget the ongoing binary blob and armsoc development !

memeka
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Post by memeka »

I could compile and run dolphin the moment xu3 started shipping... the issue was that dolphin was still very slow...
so, how's the speed now? any wii game running fullspeed?

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

There is a screenshot attached from the XU3 running StarFox... Look at the "FPS" it says in the Emulators Window ;)

Anyway not all games run as fast.. some run fine, some are awefully slow.. it kinda depends on the games.. maybe someone should start a compatibility list for XU3 or so..
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout »

memeka wrote:I could compile and run dolphin the moment xu3 started shipping... the issue was that dolphin was still very slow...
so, how's the speed now? any wii game running fullspeed?
of corse you could you are one of the profs. in this forum, others can't, since dezember dolphin is broken so it's a good information to have the last working commit id ( HdkR gave me ) + the infos from meveric about how to get fullscreen working on armsoc, for me also the new compiler switches on gcc 4.9 was new, so i was happy to know about this and others will do so.

so in short, it is faster, it runs in fullscreen and shows a future concept about compile and optimize things on XU3

RG

memeka

Post by memeka »

meveric wrote:There is a screenshot attached from the XU3 running StarFox... Look at the "FPS" it says in the Emulators Window ;)

Anyway not all games run as fast.. some run fine, some are awefully slow.. it kinda depends on the games.. maybe someone should start a compatibility list for XU3 or so..
well, i could get 60fps in some game menus, but when playing it would drop to 20-30fps in the game i tested.
also, i am interested in full-screen performance :P

meveric

Post by meveric »

it's actually not that greate.. 20-30 FPS sounds about right.. no difference in fullscreen.. Just played Bikini Zombie Slayers.. everything is 60 FPS in fullscreen but when you switch in game FPS drops down to 20 FPS..

Resident Evil 4 everything 30 FPS but in game about 10-15 FPS and some graphical issues..

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout »

with the image provided by HK i get on starfox 15fps ( window ) and 25fps ( fullscreen )

RG

memeka

Post by memeka »

dsd's armsoc has the fast path for fullscreen...
but even like this ... is it really playable at 25fps? :(

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout »

memeka wrote:dsd's armsoc has the fast path for fullscreen...
No this game isn't playable yet, but it feels like it is not much needed, on mupen64plus games are playable with > 25fps not sure if this is the same on dolphin, on my pc this game has constant 60fps

RG

meveric

Post by meveric »

memeka wrote:dsd's armsoc has the fast path for fullscreen...
dsd's armsoc is not used for this and is not working on the XU3 for fullscreen.. he already said he has no interest in armsoc for XU3

Return to “Games and Emulators”