[GAMES] Xash3D Engine for Half-Life (libGL)

Moderators: meveric, mdrjr, odroid

[GAMES] Xash3D Engine for Half-Life (libGL)

Unread postby meveric » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:50 am

Welcome to Black Mesa:

I've been waiting for a long time to get this awesome game to work on ODROIDs.
Thanks to @ptitSeb who ported this game to ARM using the Xash3D engine and some other libraries, combined with his version of GLshim we can now play Half-Life in 1080p on ODROIDs!!!

Just look at these pictures:
One of the Robots from the Intro of Half-Life

A look at the alien planets with the monsters that invades Black Mesa Reasearch Facility right after the accident at the beginning of the game:

The game offers nice effects, although it's already 18 years old (damn I feel old right now^^)

This game was one of a kind and made the First Person Shooter genre big!
Similar to Doom many years ealier this game had a major influence on the game industry.
There were countless mods for Half-Life, such as Counter Strike or Team Fortess.
These games were originally only Mods for Half-Life but later on became their very own games.

You can install the game engine form repository (using the jessie/main or stretch/mainpackagelist) with the command:
Code: Select all
apt-get install xash3d-odroid

The game offers support for the original Half-Life game as well as the Blue Shift addon.
Other mods could work as well (for example Counter Strike). Multiplayer seem to work as well.
Please note: Not all mods will work correctly.

You need the Original game in version 1.1.1.0.
Place the "valve" folder in your home folder in a subfolder .xash3d other mods go in the same folder for example:
odroid@gamestation-turbo:~$ ll /home/odroid/.xash3d/
total 12
drwxr-xr-x  9 odroid odroid 1024 Feb  4 21:18 bshift
drwxr-xr-x 12 odroid odroid 1024 Feb  4 21:38 dmc
drwxr-xr-x 14 odroid odroid 3072 Feb  4 21:42 gearbox
drwxr-xr-x 12 odroid odroid 1024 Feb  4 21:42 ricochet
drwxr-xr-x 15 odroid odroid 3072 Feb  4 21:45 tfc
drwxr-xr-x 17 odroid odroid 3072 Feb  4 23:19 valve

Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Re: [GAMES] Xash3D Engine for Half-Life (libGL)

Unread postby rooted » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:05 am

What...I love Half-Life!

Nice work @ptitSeb and @meveric for the package and instructions.
rooted

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:05 pm

Excellent! However, does this work acceptably well under C1/C2, or do you need to run it on the XU3/4? Since it's hardware accelerated and a port I guess it would work.

If only I could get time to actually play it... :roll: But one day I will!
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby meveric » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:11 am

I haven't built or tried it on the C2 yet. C2 is running somewhat instable as it is anyway. Generally it should work, since C2 already has GLshim.
If I have a little bit more time I might try to port it to the C2, although I'd rather wait for the X11 drivers.
FBDEV has proven to have many issues and needs a lot of dirty hacks at the moment. (for example Kodi in 32bit on C2 requires quite some hacking).

C1 I haven't tried it yet, since I normally don't use the C1. Low CPU speed, bad performance of X11 drivers, low RAM, makes it rather unattractive. Still generally it should work and since the C1 is way faster than the Pandora (which can run this game as well). Therefore it should generally work on C1 as well.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby gabika1941 » Sun May 01, 2016 1:47 am

so basically this engine could be used for Counter strike? if so, how is it possible to set it up?
gabika1941

ODROIDs: XU3-Lite

Unread postby meveric » Sun May 01, 2016 9:24 am

Only with the original Counter Strike Mod for Half Life, not with the later standalone version of Counter Strike.
meveric

Unread postby BlackPPoint » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:39 pm

Is there ARM64 version of this package for odroid C2?
BlackPPoint

languages_spoken: russian, english
ODROIDs: C2

Unread postby meveric » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:18 pm

BlackPPoint wrote:Is there ARM64 version of this package for odroid C2?

Not yet, I'm gonna try to build one, but no promisses, since arm64 does not run everything that armhf can.
meveric

Unread postby BlackPPoint » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:20 pm

Any update? Is it working on C2?
BlackPPoint

Unread postby meveric » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:19 pm

I was able to build it for C2, but although the binaries start the graphics are distorted.
As suspected arm64 is sadly causing issues.
meveric

Unread postby Jojo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:43 am

Hi meveric,

thank you once more for this game and your effort!
I can confirm that this game runs very well on the C1 with your OGST image :) !

The sound seems to lag a little bit from time to time, and the game crashes, in case of dying. But for this, the easiest solution is just not to die ;) .

Raise the bar :twisted: !

Cheers
How to ask questions the smart way:
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Jojo

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, HC1, HC2, VU8C

Unread postby BlackPPoint » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:23 pm

Nothing works on arm64. I'd rather buy С1 instead of С2:(
BlackPPoint

Unread postby meveric » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:43 pm

BlackPPoint wrote:Nothing works on arm64. I'd rather buy С1 instead of С2:(

Yes, arm64 can be quite disappointing.. I also have issues with Quake3 based games like Jedi Knight 2 and 3, or Homeworld, which are not working correctly under arm64.. it's really annoying.
Also missing lua-jit is also a show stopper for some games. PhysFS seems not to work correctly either, if I try to run Descent 1 and 2 it can't extract the game data files and for this won't work either :(
meveric

Unread postby ExarKunIv » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:08 am

i did what is listed to get this going and i get this

odroid@gamestation-turbo:~$ xash3d
LIBGL: Initialising gl4es
LIBGL: v1.0.5 built on Feb 26 2018 11:12:21
LIBGL: Using GLES 1.1 backend
LIBGL:loaded: libGLESv1_CM.so
LIBGL:loaded: libEGL.so
LIBGL: Using GLES 1.1 backend
LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_blend_subtract detected and used
LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_blend_func_separate detected and used
LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_blend_equation_separate detected and used
LIBGL: Extension GL_EXT_blend_minmax detected and used
LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_framebuffer_object detected and used
LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_point_sprite detected and used
LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_point_size_array detected
LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_element_index_uint detected
LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil detected and used
LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_depth24 detected and used
LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 detected and used
LIBGL: Extension GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 detected and used
LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_texture_cube_map detected and used
LIBGL: Extension GL_OES_draw_texture detected and used
LIBGL: Max texture size: 8192
LIBGL: Texture Units: 8(8), Max lights: 8, Max planes: 1
LIBGL: sRGB surface supported
LIBGL: Targeting OpenGL 1.5
LIBGL: Current folder is:/home/odroid
glXGetProcAddress: glXGetSwapIntervalMESA not found.
=================================================================================
    (build 3153) started at Mar08 2018 [16:23.27]
=================================================================================

(build 3153) stopped with error at Mar08 2018 [16:23.29]

with a window that pops up saying that the game dir could not be found

I found my old CDS. installed the game so i could update it to 1.1.1.0 and then copied the valve folder from my game folder on my computer to the .xash3d. still no go
no clue what is going on here
ExarKunIv

Unread postby meveric » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:28 am

please use xash3d_start from the command-line not directly xash3d.

I just tried it on my side, installed game, started it -> complains about missing valve folder
I copied the valve folder to /home/.xash3d/ after which I started the game again and it was running.
The game was completely black which is actually due to the use of LIBGL_BATCH=1 option similar issue was with yquake2 so editing the xash3d_start can fix this.
I removed the LIBGL_BATCH=1 option after which the game worked fine.

@ptitSeb made some fixes on gl4es to fix some issues with LIBGL_BATCH option.. I will try rebuilding it and see if that fixes it.
This would mean no changes would be necessary for Xash3D.
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:38 am

ok, just made a quick build of gl4es.. and it seems LIBGL_BATCH is fixed.. I'm gonna upload it in a moment. So nothing to do on the game starter.
meveric

Unread postby ExarKunIv » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:55 am

just so i could see the game run i switched LIBGL_BATCH=1. im amazed on how well it works
ExarKunIv

Unread postby meveric » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:59 am

yep yep runs really good... I already added it to my ROMS/LINUX folder together with Homeworld.. both good game and worth keeping :D
meveric

Unread postby hertim » Sat May 05, 2018 1:49 am

Been enjoying playing some good old classics on my Odroid. Specially Homeworld. Thank you! I'd love to play Half-life again. I spent so many fun hours playing that. I have an XU4 with OGST and Xash3d runs but the graphics are all screwy. What would be the best Odroid model to run this and other classics like it please? I am thinking of getting a C1+ just for retro gaming fun. P.S. OGST is awesome! Thank you.
hertim

ODROIDs: XU4 XU4Q

Unread postby meveric » Sat May 05, 2018 4:34 am

The XU4 should be the best to play most games, especially the C1-Series lacks a lot of GPU capabilities and CPU power which most likely will cause issues with some games that are more demanding.
What issues do you have with the graphics? Can you make a picture to show it?
meveric

Unread postby hertim » Sat May 05, 2018 5:37 am

Screenshot.png
screenshot
Screenshot.png (1.3 MiB) Viewed 3166 times
Thank you for your reply meveric.

In the opening scene I see the model but just lots of polygons or triangles and corrupt textures as in the screenshot. Hope this helps and many thanks for your help.
hertim

Unread postby meveric » Sat May 05, 2018 5:42 am

hm can you run the following command in a terminal please:
cd cd $HOME/.xash3d
xash3d

My guess is that it could be an issue with the BATCH mode in gl4es again.

Edit:
nvm I was able to test and verify this issue myself, it seems to be an issue with gl4es, I will contact @ptitSeb and try to figure this out.
meveric

Unread postby hertim » Sat May 05, 2018 5:55 am

Thank you again for your reply meveric. If you need any more information or if I can be of any assistance in testing please ask and I will be glad to help out. Thank you for your valued time.
hertim

Unread postby meveric » Sat May 05, 2018 6:05 am

I just built the latest version of gl4es and it fixes the issue, so I'm gonna upload it in a moment which should fix the issue once you do an update :)
meveric

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat May 05, 2018 4:28 pm

Man, you really trashed that train... :)
mad_ady

Unread postby hertim » Sat May 05, 2018 5:37 pm

:D Thank you meveric that indeed fixed it. Many thanks for your help. Looking forward to playing this again. EPIC! :D
hertim

Unread postby hertim » Sun May 13, 2018 4:38 am

:D :lol: Well worth the effort meveric! Thank you so much indeed! Just finished off Nihilanth and had IMMENSE fun again after so many years! I am pleased to report this game was ground breaking, stunning and a very compulsively playable game for its time and is an epic classic that I think everyone should play at least once in a lifetime! Thanks to meverics efforts I have had the pleasure of revisiting Half-Life once again, and on an Odroid and the game runs flawlessly and spectacularly well on an XU4 and is still as cool as it was all those years ago! Give it a try you will not regret it! :ugeek: Die Freeman! :D Cheers meveric!
hertim

Unread postby mad_ady » Sun May 27, 2018 9:29 pm

@meveric: I wonder - does OGST and its Kodi game launcher support adding such "non-console" games like Half-Life1? It would be nice to add them to a common launcher (with Homeworld and even Dosbox or native games like Hedgewars). If it does support it, could you point me to the relevant documentation?
Thanks!
mad_ady

Unread postby meveric » Sun May 27, 2018 9:41 pm

The Linux folder in the ROMS folder allows this.
There are a couple examples in there.. basically you just add a .sh file with the name of the game and put the game launcher in there and it will be found from the system.
This works fine with Kodi, EmulationStation I'm not sure as it doesn't support all systems.
It will still be able to start it, but not scrap it I guess.
meveric

Unread postby mad_ady » Sun May 27, 2018 10:15 pm

Many thanks. So I will be able to launch anything - dosbox, native, external program... Neat! I will test it when I have a bit of time.
mad_ady

Unread postby meveric » Mon May 28, 2018 8:48 am

as it's a shell script you're launching you can make it do whatever you want.. even run entire programs, browser or whatever from there :)
meveric

Unread postby mad_ady » Tue May 29, 2018 5:42 pm

I finally had time to install half-life on ogst and it's AWESOME! The game runs fluently. There's a bit of tearing most likely due to vsync (which I think can be fixed with setup-ogst, but I haven't tried yet). Also, some small HUD icons don't have transparency (like the flashlight), but it's a minor problem.

I installed the HD texture pack that comes with blueshift and it looks great! (I pushed the guard around until it entered the control room. Sadly, he didn't make it through the resonance cascade...)

By the way, can you append parameters (like -console) to the command? Also, how do you start other games (like blueshift/opposing force)?
mad_ady

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 29, 2018 8:30 pm

not sure if you can pass the -console command and I don't have it here to try it right now.
blueshift, opposing force or even counter strike should be able to run as "mods" and should be listed there. Not all might work though.
meveric

Unread postby mad_ady » Tue May 29, 2018 9:51 pm

I may not be running version 1.1.1.0. I'll look into it
mad_ady

Unread postby ptitSeb » Wed May 30, 2018 12:11 am

For BlueShift and CS, you need special client and server library. Not sure if they are package inside @meveric. Also, my version of halflife does autoselect the client and server libs (I've done that for the Pandora version), not sure about how upstream does the selection.

OpForce is not working to my knowledge...
ptitSeb

languages_spoken: english, french

Unread postby mad_ady » Wed May 30, 2018 12:19 am

Sorry to hear that. I was looking forward to opposing force... :)
mad_ady

Unread postby hertim » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:55 am

I recently completed both games and can confirm that Half-life and Blue Shift run flawlessly. :D :D ;) I have not got Opposing Force to work either wich is a shame. :cry:
Gunman chronicles loads up but there are lots of graphical artifacts and animation glitches that make it unplayable unfortunately.
I have done a few levels of the single player "Residual life" mod that so far works perfectly to and is a very nicely done mod that I can recommend.
I will report on other mods when I try them out.
hertim

Unread postby meveric » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:33 pm

That sounds very good.
Can you try the old Counter Strike mod as well, as some people seem to be eager to play this as well ;)
meveric

Unread postby mad_ady » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:56 pm

Actually opposing force does run. I was able to start boot camp, but some textures and soldiers are missing (scripted events as well). On new game there's a glitch during the plane ride sequence where a plane should explode, but doesn't, so the intro keeps going and prevents the game from starting. Most likely loading the next map would fix this.
mad_ady

Unread postby hertim » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:28 pm

Sure meveric I will try that and let you know as soon as I can.
I have also got Oposing Force to run now but get the same glitch when the xen spacecraft attacks the plane in the intro. I cant get any further.
hertim

Unread postby meveric » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:20 am

Update:
Game is now available for Debian Stretch (armhf) as well, I have to check into arm64 if I can get it to work here as well, not sure though.
meveric

Return to Games and Emulators