[GAMES] NVIDIA Game Streaming with ODROID

Moderators: odroid, meveric, mdrjr

Re: [GAMES] NVIDIA Game Streaming with ODROID

Unread postby Unstoppable » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:15 am

meveric wrote:my packages are build WITH pulseaudio support, but it's more likely that puseaudio is causeing the issue and disabling pulseaudio and running moonlight on alsa instead could help here.
also running as root can has some sideeffects, for example pulseaudio does not work per default for root.
xcb_connection error makes me wonder if you run the program from terminal or from desktop, that could mean you run it without an X server, not sure if X is needed though, as for C1 and C2 video runs on a different layer anyway.

I have no desktop installed. I normally run it directly from the commandline, and the results from my previous post are using the SSH method you mentioned. Also, I did try removing pulseaudio, but the problems remain. Also, I did some more testing. This time using a normal user account instead of root.

First test was without pulseaudio installed and without the -localaudio parameter. The same errors showed up as mentioned before in the similar test with root.
Then I added the -localaudio parameter. The errors were gone after the first launch (and after a reboot), but when restarting the stream caused the same errors to show up again.

Next step was with pulseaudio installed. I did a reboot and started the stream. No alsa/rtp errors this time, with or without the -localaudio parameter. Even after restarting the stream.
However, the following errors keep showing up (and the video stutter problem as well):
Code: Select all
xcb_connection_has_errors() returned true
shared memfd open() failed: function not implemented

I added the -verbose parameter as well, but that didn't provide any extra information.
These two errors show up directly after eachother, and this happens always two times during initialization. Once after the line "Stream 1920x1080, 60 fps, 20000 kbps" and once after "starting video stream...done". I honestly do not know what these two errors mean.

UPDATE: I finished some additional testing. I tried forcing both the host and the C2 to run at 100Mbit Full duplex instead of 1Gb, since I read somewhere that this could also cause lag due to overhead. It didn't make any difference though. Additionally, I tried to use the official image. Clean install, fully up-to-date and only with the packages installed to build and run moonlight (from upstream). Still the same issue as on Armbian and the Debian Stretch image by meveric. It did get rid of two errors mentioned above however, so I guess those weren't the reasons for my issue.

This is the command I tested with:
moonlight stream -fps 60 -1080 -platform aml -codec h265 -verbose 192.168.10.146

And this is the full log:
Moonlight Embedded 2.4.6 (AML;ALSA;PULSE;EMBEDDED)
Connect to 192.168.10.146...
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, GFE 3.12.0.84 (gs_04_04_23287129, 7.1.404.0)
Platform AMLogic VPU
Loading mappingfile /usr/local/share//moonlight/gamecontrollerdb.txt
No mapping available for cec_input (100000008e1b0000ec0c000001000000) on /dev/input/event2
No mapping available for vt-input (19000000b41600000107000001000000) on /dev/input/event3
Stream 1920 x 1080, 60 fps, 20000 kbps
Initializing platform...done
Resolving host name...done
Starting RTSP handshake...done
Initializing control stream...done
Initializing video stream...done
Initializing audio stream...done
Initializing input stream...done
Starting control stream...done
Starting video stream...OPEN es hevc
codec_init amstream version : 2.0
done
Starting audio stream...done
Starting input stream...done
Control stream received disconnect event
Loss Stats: Transaction failed: 11
Stopping input stream...done
Stopping audio stream...done
[codec_close_cntl]video codec close return=0!
Stopping video stream...done
Stopping control stream...done
Cleaning up input stream...done
Cleaning up audio stream...done
Cleaning up video stream...done
Cleaning up control stream...done
Cleaning up platform...done

Looks fine to me... Yet still the video starts to stutter after some time. I even tried lowering my bitrate to 5000 and it still happened. The only thing I can try still is either downgrade GFE and/or drivers, or try a direct connection between my PC and C2. Does anybody else have an idea of what else I could try?
Unstoppable

languages_spoken: english,dutch
ODROIDs: XU4, C2

Unread postby Unstoppable » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:59 pm

Just another update... I just finished testing with a direct connection (no routers or switches, and with static IP) between my PC and the C2, but it didn't help. I even tried using an ethernet USB device to ensure it isn't a problem with my PC's built-in ethernet. And with the ethernet USB I also tried forcing 100Mbit mode again (on the C2 as well), but that actually made things worse. It caused the stream to actually freeze and close on me.

Furthermore I removed any programs that I thought could conflict, such as codec packs, vmware, openvpn and hamachi. And I fully re-installed my graphics drivers (390.65) & GFE (3.12). Still slight video stuttering as described in my first post.
Unstoppable

Unread postby crashoverride » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:03 pm

Unstoppable wrote:The stream usually, but not necessarily, starts out smooth. After some time (not more than a minute or two), the stream becomes.. not smooth. It seems like micro-stuttering or FPS drops. This effect will remain for some time as well, and then it becomes smooth again.

This is not a hardware issue. It is a software issue with moonlight-embedded. This occurs when one of its queues gets "backup up". I discussed the issue somewhere on this forum. Since there is no PTS information or management in moonlight-embedded, it depends solely on "the Grace of God" to work. Setups with large amounts of clock-skew between sender and receiver will be affected worse than those without.

I mitigated this issue on my XU4 branch by reworking the audio path and dropping audio when necessary. Since I do not currently have any Windows(tm) machines for testing, I have not applied this change or any updates for C2.
crashoverride

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby Unstoppable » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:30 am

crashoverride wrote:
Unstoppable wrote:The stream usually, but not necessarily, starts out smooth. After some time (not more than a minute or two), the stream becomes.. not smooth. It seems like micro-stuttering or FPS drops. This effect will remain for some time as well, and then it becomes smooth again.

This is not a hardware issue. It is a software issue with moonlight-embedded. This occurs when one of its queues gets "backup up". I discussed the issue somewhere on this forum. Since there is no PTS information or management in moonlight-embedded, it depends solely on "the Grace of God" to work. Setups with large amounts of clock-skew between sender and receiver will be affected worse than those without.

I mitigated this issue on my XU4 branch by reworking the audio path and dropping audio when necessary. Since I do not currently have any Windows(tm) machines for testing, I have not applied this change or any updates for C2.

Ah, well that would explain why I didn't get it to work properly. You say however that you fixed it on the XU4 by dropping audio frames when needed, but my issue is with video only. Audio is always perfect on my system. Could it still the same issue?

And would it be hard to apply the same fix, or a similar one, for the C2? Because if not, I could try to do it, since I'm a programmer myself. Although with very minimum C experience, but I like a challenge. Plus I really want Moonlight to work :p
Unstoppable

Unread postby raelik » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:37 am

So, I've got an XU4 that I'm setting up RetroPie on (using https://odroid.in/ubuntu_16.04lts/ubunt ... 213.img.xz as the base image), and I wanted some advice for getting moonlight working. I borked my RetroPie setup last time I tried this (RetroPie manually installs some specific dependencies, and I accidentally overwrote them with build deps for moonlight). My main questions are which moonlight-embedded repo/version should I use, what options might I need to set before I build it, and should I do all of that prior to doing the RetroPie install & setup?
raelik

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby crashoverride » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:32 pm

Unstoppable wrote:Audio is always perfect on my system. Could it still the same issue?

If either the audio thread or the video thread blocks for too long, it results in reception data loss. If you have "perfect audio", then its because your C2 clock is skewed slower than your PC clock; This means it takes slighter longer to play audio on C2 than it does on your PC. Eventually this slight difference in time accumulates consuming all free buffers. Since the amount of time lost due to missing data is greater than the clock skew, synchronization is re-established over time. This also means that audio is not actually perfect, rather, the loss is audibly imperceptible; however, the video loss is perceptible.

The mitigation for this situation is to 1) enable "freeplay" on C2 so that video will never block waiting for vsync, and 2) re-buffer the incoming audio so you can discard it in the event it would block. The latter requires code modification.
crashoverride

Unread postby Unstoppable » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:48 pm

crashoverride wrote:
Unstoppable wrote:Audio is always perfect on my system. Could it still the same issue?

If either the audio thread or the video thread blocks for too long, it results in reception data loss. If you have "perfect audio", then its because your C2 clock is skewed slower than your PC clock; This means it takes slighter longer to play audio on C2 than it does on your PC. Eventually this slight difference in time accumulates consuming all free buffers. Since the amount of time lost due to missing data is greater than the clock skew, synchronization is re-established over time. This also means that audio is not actually perfect, rather, the loss is audibly imperceptible; however, the video loss is perceptible.

The mitigation for this situation is to 1) enable "freeplay" on C2 so that video will never block waiting for vsync, and 2) re-buffer the incoming audio so you can discard it in the event it would block. The latter requires code modification.

Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense. I understand audio isn't actually perfect, but it sounds perfect - is what I meant (like you said). I would like to try to enable "freeplay" on the C2 before modifying the code, but I'm not quite sure I understand what that is. Is that the same as freerun mode? Because I verified that freerun mode is actually enabled when a moonlight stream has been started. If it is not, what would I need to do to enable freeplay?
Unstoppable

Unread postby crashoverride » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:58 pm

Unstoppable wrote:Is that the same as freerun mode?

Yes, I should have wrote "freerun" mode but was thinking about games so wrote "freeplay" by mistake. :oops:
crashoverride

Unread postby Unstoppable » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:24 pm

crashoverride wrote:
Unstoppable wrote:Is that the same as freerun mode?

Yes, I should have wrote "freerun" mode but was thinking about games so wrote "freeplay" by mistake. :oops:

No problem, I figured you meant freerun :D Sadly, freerun mode doesn't work then. Once I've started a stream and execute the following:
cat /sys/class/video/freerun_mode

It does return 1. Any idea why freerun isn't actually working? Or rather, not working well enough?
Unstoppable

Unread postby crashoverride » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:47 am

Unstoppable wrote:Any idea why freerun isn't actually working? Or rather, not working well enough?

If freerun does not affect operation, then it is not the problem. As previously stated, there are two (2) things (video and audio) that can cause the issue. If video is not the issue (freerun), then its the audio.
crashoverride

Unread postby Unstoppable » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:59 am

crashoverride wrote:
Unstoppable wrote:Any idea why freerun isn't actually working? Or rather, not working well enough?

If freerun does not affect operation, then it is not the problem. As previously stated, there are two (2) things (video and audio) that can cause the issue. If video is not the issue (freerun), then its the audio.

Ah I'm sorry. I didn't realize that freerun was for video only (even though it should be pretty obvious from the freaking command I executed haha). I suppose there is no way to enable something similar for (pulse)audio? Regardless, I'm going to experiment a little as soon as I have the time and post it here if I get some results.
Unstoppable

Unread postby raelik » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:33 am

raelik wrote:So, I've got an XU4 that I'm setting up RetroPie on (using https://odroid.in/ubuntu_16.04lts/ubunt ... 213.img.xz as the base image), and I wanted some advice for getting moonlight working. I borked my RetroPie setup last time I tried this (RetroPie manually installs some specific dependencies, and I accidentally overwrote them with build deps for moonlight). My main questions are which moonlight-embedded repo/version should I use, what options might I need to set before I build it, and should I do all of that prior to doing the RetroPie install & setup?

I guess I should be more specific. Since I'm running RetroPie (no X11) should I use https://github.com/AreaScout/moonlight-embedded, one of the xu4 branches of https://github.com/OtherCrashOverride/m ... shoverride, or something else that I'm not seeing?
raelik

Unread postby AreaScout » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:43 pm

raelik wrote:
raelik wrote:So, I've got an XU4 that I'm setting up RetroPie on (using https://odroid.in/ubuntu_16.04lts/ubunt ... 213.img.xz as the base image), and I wanted some advice for getting moonlight working. I borked my RetroPie setup last time I tried this (RetroPie manually installs some specific dependencies, and I accidentally overwrote them with build deps for moonlight). My main questions are which moonlight-embedded repo/version should I use, what options might I need to set before I build it, and should I do all of that prior to doing the RetroPie install & setup?

I guess I should be more specific. Since I'm running RetroPie (no X11) should I use https://github.com/AreaScout/moonlight-embedded, one of the xu4 branches of https://github.com/OtherCrashOverride/m ... shoverride, or something else that I'm not seeing?

Hello raelik, both should be good to go, you have to choose which one is best (fastest) for you, if you use my repository you need an modified SDL2 which is capable of doing fbdev (https://github.com/AreaScout/SDL-mirror with memeka patch) or you are going to do it with Wayland, if you use the repo from CrashOverride please use the XU4-openal branch.

RG
AreaScout

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: X2, U3, XU3, C2, XU4Q

Unread postby raelik » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:42 am

AreaScout wrote:
raelik wrote:

Hello raelik, both should be good to go, you have to choose which one is best (fastest) for you, if you use my repository you need an modified SDL2 which is capable of doing fbdev (https://github.com/AreaScout/SDL-mirror with memeka patch) or you are going to do it with Wayland, if you use the repo from CrashOverride please use the XU4-openal branch.

RG

I was planning on using fbdev if at all possible, since that's what everything else is going to be using.
raelik

Unread postby AreaScout » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:56 am

raelik wrote:I was planning on using fbdev if at all possible, since that's what everything else is going to be using.

and whats your problem ? try to compile it on RetroPie, iirc EmulationStation is also using SDL2 as video driver so there should be already an SDL2 fbdev version on that image
AreaScout

Unread postby raelik » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:09 am

AreaScout wrote:
raelik wrote:I was planning on using fbdev if at all possible, since that's what everything else is going to be using.

and whats your problem ? try to compile it on RetroPie, iirc EmulationStation is also using SDL2 as video driver so there should be already an SDL2 fbdev version on that image

I wasn't really having a problem per-se, as I don't think issue I had before was really related to moonlight. It was more just package-foo when dealing with apt installed dependencies vs. RetroPie's source compiled ones. I didn't think about the fact that RetroPie does that until I'd already borked it. I really just wanted to know which repo/branch I'd have the best luck with.
raelik

Unread postby AreaScout » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:33 pm

raelik wrote:I wasn't really having a problem per-se, as I don't think issue I had before was really related to moonlight. It was more just package-foo when dealing with apt installed dependencies vs. RetroPie's source compiled ones. I didn't think about the fact that RetroPie does that until I'd already borked it. I really just wanted to know which repo/branch I'd have the best luck with.

it works extremely well on RetroPie, if there isn't already any moonlight package for RetroPie on XU4, this is how i build it:

sudo apt-get install libssl-dev libopus-dev libasound2-dev libudev-dev libavahi-client-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libexpat1-dev cmake uuid-dev libenet-dev libsdl2-dev libbz2-dev liblzma-dev
git clone https://github.com/AreaScout/moonlight-embedded.git --recursive
cd moonlight-embedded
cmake .
make -j8

that's it, i didn't integrate it in RetroPie, instead i startet it via ssh, what can i say ... it runs VERY well, you have to figure out how to integrate this, but i think that's easy :)

P.S.: i had to disable pulseaudio and i use this image http://www.arcadepunks.com/odroid-xu4-retropie-image-emulation-station-team-ora-impress/

RG
AreaScout

Unread postby raelik » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:54 pm

AreaScout wrote:
that's it, i didn't integrate it in RetroPie, instead i startet it via ssh, what can i say ... it runs VERY well, you have to figure out how to integrate this, but i think that's easy :)

P.S.: i had to disable pulseaudio and i use this image http://www.arcadepunks.com/odroid-xu4-retropie-image-emulation-station-team-ora-impress/

RG

So, I REALLY like that ORA image... unfortunately, I don't think I can use it. I'm using a CloudShell 2, and it seems that it isn't possible to get the case fan working on a 3.10 kernel. And I NEED that fan, the hard drives push the thing up to 80C at idle without the fan, around 40C with the fan. If there's a way to update that image to a 4.9+ kernel (4.14 would be nice) without breaking everything, then I'd love to use it.
raelik

Unread postby meveric » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:05 pm

The Case fan works with Kernel 3.10 as well, there's no reason why it should not work.
I used it with Kernel 3.10 just fine before I updated it to 4.14.
Simply use: i2cset -y 1 0x60 0x05 0x00 and the fan will start spinning.
Doesn't matter what Kernel you're on.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby raelik » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:21 am

meveric wrote:The Case fan works with Kernel 3.10 as well, there's no reason why it should not work.

Looks like I may have a different issue, i2cdetect is detecting every address, which means something is pulling SDA low somewhere. Not sure how this happened, I didn't mess with the hardware. That said, I've never been able to get the fan working on 3.10, only on 4.9+.
raelik

Unread postby raelik » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:58 am

raelik wrote:
meveric wrote:The Case fan works with Kernel 3.10 as well, there's no reason why it should not work.

Looks like I may have a different issue, i2cdetect is detecting every address, which means something is pulling SDA low somewhere. Not sure how this happened, I didn't mess with the hardware. That said, I've never been able to get the fan working on 3.10, only on 4.9+.

I double-checked, and there isn't a hardware issue. On 4.9+, the case fan works normally and i2cdetect returns just 60, but on 3.10, it doesn't work and i2cdetect returns every address. There may be some 3.10 patch or a kernel CONFIG_* setting that fixes this, but that ORA image isn't using it.
raelik

Unread postby raelik » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:58 am

So odroid clued me in that I may simply need to access /dev/i2c-4 instead of /dev/i2c-1 (i.e. i2cset -y 4 0x60 0x05 0x00). I'll give that a shot tonight, and if that works, then the ORA image is how I'll proceed!
raelik

Unread postby AreaScout » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:01 am

hi all

so for anyone interested, the upcoming ODROID-N1 will support 4k hardware accelerated Game Streaming, read more over here https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=155&t=30183

RG
AreaScout

Unread postby substring » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:54 am

One stupid question : why fork moonlight, and not submit those changes upstream ? I remember seeing some commits form AreaScout, but I still believe an upstream integration would be nicer and most probably easier to update and follox the moolight evolutions by themselves
substring

languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: C2, XU4

Unread postby AreaScout » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:28 pm

substring wrote:One stupid question : why fork moonlight, and not submit those changes upstream ? I remember seeing some commits form AreaScout, but I still believe an upstream integration would be nicer and most probably easier to update and follox the moolight evolutions by themselves

Rockchip integration i am trying to get upstream soon, the ffmpeg part i made changes for are to ODROID platform specific i.e using all 8 cores would slow things down because of the heterogeneous multiprocessing (hmp) management, so with 4 cores hard coded it works best a.s.o

RG
AreaScout

Unread postby substring » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:43 pm

That's a very good start ! Do i understand that since memeka added XU4 support in ffmpeg, we could hope for an upstream XU4 integration ? Or i'm just too enthusiastic ?
substring

languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: C2, XU4

Unread postby AreaScout » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:14 am

substring wrote:That's a very good start ! Do i understand that since memeka added XU4 support in ffmpeg, we could hope for an upstream XU4 integration ? Or i'm just too enthusiastic ?

that's not a good start, that is what we did all the time ;) well color conversation is the only thing left to get HW decoding via FFmpeg on moonlight but on the other hand
ODROID's are so fast that software decoding is also capable to get a decent Gameplay experience, the second video is on XU4Q with software decoder and it runs really fine, i doubt that HW decoding will be faster ...
well since GFE 3.12 things get worse on my setup and 1080p60 isn't that fast anymore ( on XU4Q ), if that doesn't change maybe i will try to implement it again ( it wouldn't be my first try, oh well ... )
but it could also be that my Hardware get's outdated now and this is the cause of the problems. So that's the situation !

RG
AreaScout

Unread postby Tony32 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:41 am

Which OS would you recommend for the smoothest installation on an XU4? I'm getting one soon and I really want moonlight to work with it =)
I've downloaded Debian Stretch already, but maybe there is some other OS that's have better compability?
Tony32

Unread postby AreaScout » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:10 am

Tony32 wrote:Which OS would you recommend for the smoothest installation on an XU4? I'm getting one soon and I really want moonlight to work with it =)
I've downloaded Debian Stretch already, but maybe there is some other OS that's have better compability?

Debian Stretch is ok, just do a sudo apt-get install moonlight-embedded-odroid if it's not already installed

RG
AreaScout

Unread postby AreaScout » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:47 am

AreaScout wrote:Debian Stretch is ok, just do a sudo apt-get install moonlight-embedded-odroid if it's not already installed

RG

Sorry it's Debian Jessie and you should use this image https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=7322#p57682 moonlight is pre-installed but you should consider a apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
before using it and the package name is moonlight-embedded not moonlight-embedded-odroid on XU3/4

RG
AreaScout

Unread postby meveric » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:25 am

Updated moonlight packages in my repository:
viewtopic.php?p=217580#p217580
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby Tony32 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:19 pm

AreaScout wrote:
AreaScout wrote:Debian Stretch is ok, just do a sudo apt-get install moonlight-embedded-odroid if it's not already installed

RG

Sorry it's Debian Jessie and you should use this image https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=7322#p57682 moonlight is pre-installed but you should consider a apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
before using it and the package name is moonlight-embedded not moonlight-embedded-odroid on XU3/4

RG
w
Thank you so much! Much appreciated.
Tony32

Previous

Return to Games and Emulators