Bounty: Game and emulator ports for some dollars : )

Moderators: meveric, mdrjr, odroid

Bounty: Game and emulator ports for some dollars : )

Unread postby Phoenixkonsole » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:22 am

Hi,

I would like to see some Game ports for the Odroid XU3/4 and perhaps some € can help to motivate someone to check them out.

Quake 1 OpenGL ES or GLshim (I offer 50€)
Quake 2 OpenGL ES or Glshim(I offer 50€)
Quake 3 (fix - at least for me it doesn't work with the demo files) (50€ again)

Emulators:
uae4arm (150€)

Money would be send via Paypal : )
Phoenixkonsole

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3

Re: Bounty: Game and emulator ports for some dollars : )

Unread postby meveric » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:39 am

Phoenixkonsole wrote:Hi,

I would like to see some Game ports for the Odroid XU3/4 and perhaps some € can help to motivate someone to check them out.

Quake 1 OpenGL ES or GLshim (I offer 50€)

It's called dark places and available in most repos. Written for OpenGL it works with GLshim just fine, but there's also an OpenGL ES version as well, just not much worth using it since it's fine with GLshim anyway.
Also for retroarch there is "tyrquake_libretro" available in my retroarch-cores-bad package.
This uses retroarch and OpenGL ES 2.0 for Quake 1 and should work fine with gamepads.
Phoenixkonsole wrote:Quake 2 OpenGL ES or Glshim(I offer 50€)

Already available: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=6471
Phoenixkonsole wrote:Quake 3 (fix - at least for me it doesn't work with the demo files) (50€ again)

I would suggest using my OpenArena package.. It's somewhat better than ioQuake3 and has free data files, so no need to have original game or demo data, although it's working with it as well.

Phoenixkonsole wrote:Emulators:
uae4arm (150€)

I have a working version of uae4arm which is working "ok-ish" but I don't very much like it.
The speed is awesome, that's true, but the controller mapping is totally messed up (was originally created for OpenPandora) and while normal games work fine with it you can't play Amiga CD32 games with it cause of the issues with the controller.
I still prefer fs-uae which also "looks nicer" in my opinion. Especially on the XU3/XU4 it can play all games, even Amiga CD32 AGA games such as Banshee work full speed.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby Phoenixkonsole » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:55 am

Hi,
thank you mate!
Uae4ARM is interesting because of the JIT compiler..
Could you imagine to port a newer version of UAE4ARM ?
Because AFAIK the new one used in ARMIBIAN should have or get a sort of controller mapping feature.. Haven't check it yet but someone posted it on Facebook.
Thank you for all the hint! Helps a lot.
Ehm.. anyway.. Donation is underway : )
Phoenixkonsole

Unread postby meveric » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:04 am

Yes the JIT is nice of uae4arm.. Wished they ported it to fs-uae and I actually saw they prepared something for that.
It's been a couple weeks since I last checked on uae4arm, maybe I can find a version that works better now.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby Phoenixkonsole » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:23 am

Hi,

i've tried my best and compiled the latest UAE4ARM on my XU4..
Problem is that it seems not to scale with generic-sdl

https://youtu.be/5VMedR4vM4Y
Phoenixkonsole

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:48 am

That's kinda known.. you can only use a low resolution like 640x480 if you go higher it increases the screen size but not the picture size.. This only works with a Workbench and picasso drivers that allow higher resolutions.

Let me check how I solved this on my system (if I was able to solve it at all).

Edit
Hmm well it's running in low resolution but runs scaled to desktop resolution.

Edit 2
If you want I can upload my version of uae4arm for you but there was a sound issue which I don't remember how if fixed it.

Edit 3
Ahja, found it, disabling pulseaudio fixes the sound.

you can download it from here: http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/UAE4ARM.tar.gz

It's just the binary and some files, not a .deb yet so you might miss some dependencies, if so and you can't figure out what's missing let me know.
meveric

Unread postby Phoenixkonsole » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:25 am

Wow! : ) Will check it asap!
Phoenixkonsole

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:43 am

I did a quick check on the newest version.. seems they mostly fixed the pulseaudio issue and you can run games with pulse audio now.

I still can't make aspect ratio to work properly.. fullscreen is working fine and I can hack scaling into the system, but the moment I try to hack aspect ratio in it, everything gets laggy :(
meveric

Unread postby Phoenixkonsole » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:46 am

Hi,

This is great : )
your version is working fine but the sound runs way too fast if I enable frame skipping. Without it seems to stutter or is just garbage.
Phoenixkonsole

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:10 am

in that version you have to disable pulseaudio to get correct sound

Code: Select all
echo "autospawn = no" > /home/odroid/.config/pulse/client.conf
pulseaudio -k

afterwards you can start the emulator and sound is fine.

I've uploaded a different binary for you.. it's the most recent version and runs with pulseaudio as well.
I also added some kind of aspect ratio, always forcing 4:3 it sucks down performance though, but if you enable framskipping it seems to work ok...

You can download it here: http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/uae4arm-20170104
It's just the binary, so just place it in the folder from last time. You have to make the file executeable as well.

please let me know what you think about it.
I could also make a binary that has no aspect ratio hack, that way you would have a full speed binary that works with pulseaudio.
meveric

Unread postby Phoenixkonsole » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:30 am

Thank you ! I can again test again tomorrow (tired around the eyes : ) )
Perhaps having both versions would be nice.
Have a good night!
I will open a new thread about qemu.. than i go to bed.
Phoenixkonsole

Unread postby Phoenixkonsole » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:13 am

Hi,

sorry for the delayed response.. I am testing your last build now.
A second ago I have tested FS-UAE-Launcher (installed it with apt-get) on your OGST distro.
The launcher works but if I start the emulation i get a display error..
The emulator is working but it shows only a white screen and if i press f12 it fluidly switches to the menu but in green and white whiteout any visible graphics..

Any idea what it could be ? do i need to launch it from a special path maybe so it find the GUI-elements?
Phoenixkonsole

Unread postby meveric » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:47 am

Phoenixkonsole wrote:The launcher works but if I start the emulation i get a display error..
The emulator is working but it shows only a white screen and if i press f12 it fluidly switches to the menu but in green and white whiteout any visible graphics..

Any idea what it could be ? do i need to launch it from a special path maybe so it find the GUI-elements?

I suspect it's the launcher that you use. It creates config files or starts the emulator with command line parameter.
Probelm is, that this is a special version compiled against OpenGL ES, which requires some special options in the config file which is not present on default version of fs-uae.
Without these options you get the error you've seen.
meveric

Unread postby Phoenixkonsole » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:26 am

Hi,

if I disable pulseadio as you have suggested (using your commands) will it revert to "normal" after a reboot?

Can I take your offer and so a version without aspect ration but pulse audio support?
Phoenixkonsole

Unread postby meveric » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:26 am

Phoenixkonsole wrote:Hi,

if I disable pulseadio as you have suggested (using your commands) will it revert to "normal" after a reboot?

You don't need to reboot, just remove the client.conf file and everything is back to what it was.

Phoenixkonsole wrote:Can I take your offer and so a version without aspect ration but pulse audio support?

I will make a new file soon for you. FullScreen, but no Aspect Ratio
meveric

Unread postby Phoenixkonsole » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:41 am

Do I need to run the puleaudio - k part again ?

Besides the UAE4ALL i tried to compile pico drive 1.91 because I hoped the stand alone emulator works better (regarding tearing) than the one included in RetroArch but I get only a small 300x200 SDL window... It works but is small and no fullscreen.

I have seen that the Pi guys patched it to work in fullscreen on X11 but those patches work only on the Pi

Oh... and finally your stand alone virtual jaguar binary is broken.
It quits with:
unable to find an X11 visual which matches EGL config 10
Could not initialize OpenGL
/usr/local/bin/virtuljaguar_start: line 4 12561 Aborted virtualjaguar $1
Phoenixkonsole

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:11 am

Too much stuff condenced in too few sentences, or it's just me being tired cause I compiled QT5 packages all day :D
I'll try to make sense of it anyway ^^

Phoenixkonsole wrote:Do I need to run the puleaudio - k part again ?

pulseaudio -k stands for "kill" and means to stop pulseaudio.
The autospawn = no part prevents pulseaudio from being restarted automatically.
But if you remove that option pulseaudio gets started automatically again.
You can also start it manually with pulseaudio --start.

Phoenixkonsole wrote:Besides the UAE4ALL i tried to compile pico drive 1.91 because I hoped the stand alone emulator works better (regarding tearing) than the one included in RetroArch but I get only a small 300x200 SDL window... It works but is small and no fullscreen.

Tearing has nothing to do with the emulator but with the vsync issues. Have you added the user odroid to the group video?
adduser odroid video
don't forget to restart the odroid.
This should improve most of the tearing issues..

Phoenixkonsole wrote:I have seen that the Pi guys patched it to work in fullscreen on X11 but those patches work only on the Pi

Haven't tried picodrive standalone yet. I think the code comes from the OpenPandora guys and they use 800x480 by default. So I think patching the resolution should be rather easy. Retroarch does it too.

Phoenixkonsole wrote:Oh... and finally your stand alone virtual jaguar binary is broken.
It quits with:
unable to find an X11 visual which matches EGL config 10
Could not initialize OpenGL
/usr/local/bin/virtuljaguar_start: line 4 12561 Aborted virtualjaguar $1

Looks like your missing the qt5 fix for the XU3/XU4
apt-get install qt5-xu3-fix
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:21 pm

I've uploaded your "no-aspect-ratio" build: http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/uae4arm-no-aspect
It also includes the new patches for pulse audio, so nothing else to do but starting it.
meveric

Unread postby Phoenixkonsole » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:39 am

Oh a great gift for the weekend : )
Thank you!
Phoenixkonsole

Unread postby Phoenixkonsole » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:45 am

Hi,

is it normal that it takes so long to start uae4arm. The fan of the odroid xu4 starts spinning and than it takes a few seconds before the UI is launched.
Phoenixkonsole

Unread postby meveric » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:29 am

starting takes for me about 1 second, but yes it seems the UI is really bad on the CPU around 60% CPU load (in total) distributed over all cores and temperature goes over 70°C for me.
But if you start a game this drops a lot and temp is below 60°C. CPU also very low.
meveric

Unread postby Phoenixkonsole » Mon May 08, 2017 12:41 am

Hi,
Is there a chance to get this compiled:
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-u ... n?page=404
Phoenixkonsole

Unread postby meveric » Mon May 08, 2017 2:38 am

Not quite sure what you're asking for.. Dolphin in general or a specific version?
I already have dolphin available for the XU3/XU4 but it's not running very fast on it. Since they actually only have real working dynamic recompiler for arm64 which the ODROID XU3/XU4 does not have.
meveric

Unread postby Phoenixkonsole » Tue May 09, 2017 6:25 am

Ahh sorry..
This thread is about a custom 32bit version of Dolphin which includes newer parts from the 64bit "only" branch.
It is much faster (for example it uses multicore for DSP better) and has some other things included we are missing in the "official" 32bit version of dolphin.

"Ishiiruka-Dolphin Custom Version"

Another question:
There is a PS2 emulator called "Play!" which is available for Android (ARM) and IOS (ARM) as well as OSX, Windows and Unix in general.
The question is if it would be possible to compile the unix version for the odroid XU4 as well.

http://purei.org
Phoenixkonsole

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 09, 2017 7:23 am

I'll look into the Dolphin emulator and see if I can use it.

The PS2 I'm not sure.. looks complicated to even get a build environment up and running.. and often do projects like this only have code for Android/iOS for OpenGL ES, but not for Linux.
So I'll look into Dolphin at the moment.

Edit:
Well doesn't really look good for Dolphin either. It's made for x86 and arm64 but not armhf.
So it would build a "JIT-less" version of Dolphin, which should be even slower than what we have now, which has at least "some" optimization for armhf hardware.
meveric

Unread postby Phoenixkonsole » Tue May 09, 2017 3:17 pm

i was thinking to mix what we have with parts from them..
Like a fork.

Another question:
It seems to be possible to run android virtualized on arm Linux. Does this support hw acceleration?
Phoenixkonsole

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 09, 2017 3:48 pm

Phoenixkonsole wrote:i was thinking to mix what we have with parts from them..
Like a fork.

Don't think that will work. They have been working on x86 optimization and we don't have x86 architecture.
Currently it actually fails when it tries to build Vulkan drivers, so I need to get rid of this as well, just to see if the "generic build" is in anyway "usable at all".

Phoenixkonsole wrote:Another question:
It seems to be possible to run android virtualized on arm Linux. Does this support hw acceleration?

That's something I don't know about. I know the XU3/XU4 can do KVM virtualization and I've seen people running Linux and Android parallel on the same machine through virtualization.
But I'm not sure how good it works.
There are some topics about this in the forum, and even in an old ODROID Magazine: http://magazine.odroid.com/assets/20141 ... 201411.pdf
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=6643
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=6532
meveric

Unread postby meh » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:01 am

meveric wrote:That's kinda known.. you can only use a low resolution like 640x480 if you go higher it increases the screen size but not the picture size.. This only works with a Workbench and picasso drivers that allow higher resolutions.

Let me check how I solved this on my system (if I was able to solve it at all).

Edit
Hmm well it's running in low resolution but runs scaled to desktop resolution.

Edit 2
If you want I can upload my version of uae4arm for you but there was a sound issue which I don't remember how if fixed it.

Edit 3
Ahja, found it, disabling pulseaudio fixes the sound.

you can download it from here: http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/UAE4ARM.tar.gz

It's just the binary and some files, not a .deb yet so you might miss some dependencies, if so and you can't figure out what's missing let me know.

How did you compile it?
Compiling current master at github is failing on my XU4. I solved some problems but currently I can't fix this errors:

cd32_fmv.cpp:(.text+0x218a): undefined reference to `mpeg2convert_rgb16'
cd32_fmv.cpp:(.text+0x2192): undefined reference to `mpeg2convert_rgb16'
src/drawing.o: In function `.LANCHOR4':
drawing.cpp:(.rodata+0x24): undefined reference to `ARM_doline_n1'
drawing.cpp:(.rodata+0x28): undefined reference to `NEON_doline_n2'
drawing.cpp:(.rodata+0x2c): undefined reference to `NEON_doline_n3'
drawing.cpp:(.rodata+0x30): undefined reference to `NEON_doline_n4'
drawing.cpp:(.rodata+0x38): undefined reference to `NEON_doline_n6'
drawing.cpp:(.rodata+0x40): undefined reference to `NEON_doline_n8'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile:323: recipe for target 'uae4arm' failed
make: *** [uae4arm] Error 1
meh

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby meveric » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:14 pm

what version of uae4arm have you tried?
The one that seems to work "ok-ish" is uae4arm-rpi with some minor modifications, but that wasn't updated since 29. Dec 2016
meveric

Unread postby meh » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:33 pm

I tried uae4arm by lubomyr (https://github.com/lubomyr/uae4arm).
Have you looked into amiberry? That seems to be the most active fork at the moment?

It's kind of unfortunate that there are so many forks.

edit: What -mcpu -march -mtune etc. parameters did you use? Seems like GNU Assembler can't handle big.LITTLE architecture, so there are separate flags necessary compared to gcc/g++?
meh

Unread postby meveric » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:41 am

yes it sucks a little that there are many forks and nothing that really works "good".
The one from lubomyr is rather old.. the "new" commits are all bullshit about Android, and don't touch the emulator at all.. so it's from somewhere 2016 as well..
uae4arm-rpi is the only one that works with other linux based systems such as ODROIDs.

I've seen amiberry, but that is highly modified to only work with RPi. And uses there Displayman stuff which won't work for us as we don't have/use bcm_host which is unique to the RPi.

meh wrote:edit: What -mcpu -march -mtune etc. parameters did you use? Seems like GNU Assembler can't handle big.LITTLE architecture, so there are separate flags necessary compared to gcc/g++?

It can handle it, you have to select the correct architecture which is -march=armv7ve that way you can pass -mcpu=cortex-a15.cortex-a7 and -mtune=cortex-a15.cortex-a7
meveric

Unread postby meh » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:07 am

Ah, great! Thank you. I got a startable binary now - which crashes due to some missing pandora lcd settings script. :)

Did you look into backporting stuff from amiberry to uae4arm-rpi?
Do you think adding odroid as a target to amiberry is still doable or did they specialize too much already (as asked here https://github.com/midwan/amiberry/issues/143)?
meh

Unread postby meveric » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:28 am

not sure I haven't look much in the code.. and I have too many other projects to be concerned about amiberry.
In fact I prefer fs-uae as is has much more options and capabilities than other emulators.. and the XU4 is fast enough to handle it.
meveric

Unread postby meh » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:47 am

meveric wrote:I've seen amiberry, but that is highly modified to only work with RPi. And uses there Displayman stuff which won't work for us as we don't have/use bcm_host which is unique to the RPi.

Looks like that's not the case anymore:
https://github.com/midwan/amiberry/pull/144
meh

Unread postby meveric » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:59 am

Well they added the sdl2-dev branch that one did not exist last time I checked the code and in that branch they got rid of all the RPi bullshit ;)
The sdl2-dev branch can easily be compiled for all boards.
meveric

Unread postby Phoenixkonsole » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:26 am

Yay!
Phoenixkonsole

Unread postby meh » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:40 pm

Unfortunately amiberry isn't working perfectly yet. Does fsuae work at real speed with cycle exact emulation? That's what bothers me most atm with amiberry - most games aren't playable due to variances in emulation speed.
meh

Unread postby meveric » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:45 pm

fs-uae is very accurate you can actually modify accuracy depending on your needs or the speed.
But as it has no dynamic recompiler it can be slower than amiberry in certain cases. In other cases amiberry is slower than fs-uae.
meveric

Unread postby meh » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:43 am

Emulation with amiberry works good if cpu speed is set to fastest. Variance in emulation speed is reduced to a playable level then.
meh

Return to Games and Emulators