Counter Strike, C&C on Odroid?

Moderators: meveric, mdrjr, odroid

Counter Strike, C&C on Odroid?

Unread postby torettopt » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:47 pm

Hello Users,

is it possible to play Counter-Strike (1.0 or 1.6) on Odroid Xu4?
What about the old Command and Conquer games (playing via WINE on Ubuntu)?

The Mali GPU support Opengl and CS (with GoldSrc Engine) "only" need 200MHZ 32MB RAM and a "3D-Graphic card".

I think about buying an Odroid Xu4 or buying an Raspberry Pi 2.

Did someone try it?
Yes i just want to play this old games :)

In German:
Hallo,

ist es möglich mit dem Odroid Xu4 Counter-Strike oder alte C&C spiele zu zocken? (zb: über Ubuntu + Wine)
torettopt

languages_spoken: german, english

Re: Counter Strike, C&C on Odroid?

Unread postby meveric » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:21 am

Hello,

it seems you are rather new to ARM and ODROIDs, so let me try to explain a few things to you :)

torettopt wrote:Hello Users,

is it possible to play Counter-Strike (1.0 or 1.6) on Odroid Xu4?

Probably yes, as a MOD for Half-Life if you check just a few topics below there is a thread showing Half-Life running on an XU4 using Xash3D engine.
With that it could be possible to rub Counter-Strike as well.

torettopt wrote:What about the old Command and Conquer games (playing via WINE on Ubuntu)?

Command and Conquer yes,
on Ubuntu with WINE probably no.
Let me explain:
First you can always play the DOS version of Command and Conquer using DOSBox, if you check the last ODROID Magazine you will even find an article about this.

Let me explain while WINE (on its own) is NOT an option:
WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator. What means it does NOT EMULATE a Windows PC.
It only "translates" API calls from Windows to Linux. That is a HUGE difference.
It interprets commands send to a Windows PC and tranlates them into a Linux (or MAC) world.
But there is a big issue with this. For example there is a WINE x86 and a WINE amd64 version. Basically a 32bit WINE and 64bit WINE version for Ubuntu (and other Linux) on regular PCs.
If you have a 64bit WINE installed and try to run a 32 bit game it will NOT work.
Since it only translates the commands from the one system to the other. It expects 64 bit commands and wants to translate them. But if it gets 32bit commands it won't work.
So you need 32bit verion of WINE for that.

This is on regular PCs with an x86 CPU.

Now we're going to ARM based system like the ODROID.
What WINE does is ONLY to translate API calls. That means.. If you have a ARM based Windows Program, that program can be translated to a ARM based Linux.
But you want to run x86 based 32bit games such as Command and Conquer.
THIS DOES NOT WORK
If there would be a 32bit ARM Windows version of Command and Conquer (which does not exist), then you could make it work on ARM board using WINE under Linux.
But since such a thing does not exist, you can't use WINE on its own.

There are other ways, like you could first emulate a x86 CPU and then run WINE inside that emulated CPU.
But that's something you probably not want to try, since it's rather slow.

torettopt wrote:The Mali GPU support Opengl and CS (with GoldSrc Engine) "only" need 200MHZ 32MB RAM and a "3D-Graphic card".

The Mali GPU does NOT support OpenGL but only OpenGL ES instead. Which is a difference as well.
OpenGL is used on Desktop PC while OpenGL ES is used in Embedded Systems such as an ODROID or a Tablet.
Also x86 CPUs do not translate to ARM 1:1 in matter of CPU speed. A x86 PC with 200 MHz could be much faster than a XU4 with 2000 MHz depending on the tasks they have to do.
Still as said earlier, there already is a software that allows you to run the GoldSrc Engine on ODROIDs.

torettopt wrote:I think about buying an Odroid Xu4 or buying an Raspberry Pi 2.

Did someone try it?
Yes i just want to play this old games :)

I tried Half-Life yesterday and it's running very good.
I already played Command and Conquer and it's working very good under DOS as well.

torettopt wrote:In German:
Hallo,

ist es möglich mit dem Odroid Xu4 Counter-Strike oder alte C&C spiele zu zocken? (zb: über Ubuntu + Wine)

Falls Du noch mehr Fragen hast, lass es mich wissen. Du kannst mich auch gerne per PN anschreiben wenn Du das vom Forum aus darfst (glaub man braucht ne gewisse Anzahl an posts oder muss erst ne Woche dabei sein oder sowas).
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby newjerseyninja » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:53 am

OpenRA might be a candidate:

http://www.openra.net/
newjerseyninja

languages_spoken: english

Unread postby meveric » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:24 am

OpenRA won't work. Already tried. It's a MONO package.
Mono exists on ODROIDs as well, but it won't help. Aside from MONO they ship their own libraries of SDL, OpenGL and such.
Some of which can be replaced, others can not. Especially OpenGL can not.. Since ODROIDs only support OpenGL ES.

Also I personally really don't like OpenRA.. It's nice as a multiplayer and skirmish project, but generally it has nothing of the flair of the original games.. I really miss all the campaigns into videos, story telling and such.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby ptitSeb » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:25 pm

Future version of gl4es (the 1.0.2) will have some GLES|2 support, and OpenRA should run on it.
I have it running on the OpenPandora for now, but no doubt it will run on the ODroid too.
Here a screenshot of OpenRA on the Pandora.
ptitSeb

languages_spoken: english, french

Unread postby Andy_Reed » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:12 pm

nice!
Andy_Reed

Unread postby Jelalyer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:48 am

thanks a lot for sharing! it's great!
“Who needs sports stardom when you can shoot fireballs from your fingertips?” ― Ethan Gilsdorf
You'd like to have a specific case for CS, wouldn't you? get CS:GO skins and open cases https://case51.com/ and enjoy your game
Jelalyer

ODROIDs: ODROID-HC1

Return to Games and Emulators