[GAMES/EMULATOR] DosBox (ARM optimized version)

Moderators: meveric, mdrjr, odroid

[GAMES/EMULATOR] DosBox (ARM optimized version)

Unread postby meveric » Wed May 07, 2014 1:56 pm

Hello,

i just compiled an armv7-a optimized version of DosBox which is much much faster than the version you can get from your distros repo, I was even able to run Windows 3.11 and Windows 95 in pretty much fullspeed.
I tried a couple of DOS games, even some with SVGA and up to now everything was working fine :)

Code: Select all
wget http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/repository/all/dosbox-odroid_0.7.4-1_armhf.deb
dpkg -i dosbox-odroid_0.7.4-1_armhf.deb
apt-get install -f

have fun with your favorite DOS games again :)

Update
I've updated DOSBox to a newer version of its SVN repository. It now has build in glshim support for OpenGL output.
The behaviour of DOSBox change a little while earlier i used glshim to resize the Window to the full desktop resolution, this is no longer working.
Using OpenGL as a output will use your normal settings means it only scales up to 3 times original size, depending on what scaler you're using.

If you want a picture stretched to full screen size, you should select "overlay" as an output driver and set scaling to "none" this will scale to output of games and programs to the full monitor resolution (with aspect ratio)

The new version seems to be even faster than the old one and can use dynamic recompiler.

The emulator can be installed from my repository using the all/main package list, or manually by:
wget http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/pool/main/d/dosbox-odroid/dosbox-odroid_0.7.4-3_armhf.deb
dpkg -i dosbox-odroid_0.7.4-3_armhf.deb
apt-get install -f
Last edited by meveric on Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Re: [GAMES/EMULATOR] DosBox (ARM optimized version)

Unread postby odroid » Wed May 07, 2014 4:34 pm

Oh.. it's time to play "Command & Conquer: Red Alert (1996)" !!
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby Cartridge » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:37 am

Windows 95 installation, I can't get past the first couple lines, after typing setup, stucks at Please while setup initializes. I've mounted an ISO that I've created from a real CD and used before on VM's so I know it's not the ISO. What should I do? Do the setup with floppies? If so, what is the command to have an interactive console to change floppies on the fly?
http://cartridgeports.cf/
ODROID's DO what WinDON'T "That's Blast Processing!"
Cartridge

languages_spoken: english, french natively
ODROIDs: The Perfect ODROID-U2, ODROID-U3+, C1, XU3

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:40 pm

Setting up Windows 95 is rather hard.. you can't install it into the DosBox directly (as you can do with Windows 3.11) but rather you need a Disk Image which you boot from.
There are a few images out there in the net with about 200MB in size which will already boot right into Windows 95, which these you can look how they made it.

You are probably stucked with installing Windows 95 on another PC into an container (image) file first (for example with qemu) and then boot that image with DosBox.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Re: [GAMES/EMULATOR] DOSBox (ARM optimized version)

Unread postby meveric » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:08 pm

Update
I've updated DOSBox to a newer version of its SVN repository. It now has build in glshim support for OpenGL output.
The behaviour of DOSBox change a little while earlier i used glshim to resize the Window to the full desktop resolution, this is no longer working.
Using OpenGL as a output will use your normal settings means it only scales up to 3 times original size, depending on what scaler you're using.

If you want a picture stretched to full screen size, you should select "overlay" as an output driver and set scaling to "none" this will scale to output of games and programs to the full monitor resolution (with aspect ratio)

The new version seems to be even faster than the old one and can use dynamic recompiler.
I was able to "play" quake 1 which earlier was extremely laggy.
I can't wait to see how Windows 95 or Windows 98SE will perform on DOSBox, but that will have to wait a little while ;)

The emulator can be installed from my repository using the all/main package list, or manually by:
wget http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/pool/main/d/dosbox-odroid/dosbox-odroid_0.7.4-3_armhf.deb
dpkg -i dosbox-odroid_0.7.4-3_armhf.deb
apt-get install -f
meveric

Unread postby Hugonl31 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:48 pm

Hi, cool project! A question maybe you can help me with: I'm using the XU4 with Ubuntu 15.04, installed your DOSBox it runs fast BUT in every game the sound is completely warped, crackly or stuttering. The graphics are good and fast but the sound is horrible. Any ideas? Also in full screen mode the image gets cut warped. What settings do I need best in the config? I'm using HDMI full hd 60hz.
Thanks!
Hugonl31

languages_spoken: english, german, dutch

Unread postby Cartridge » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:21 am

There's something for that in the conf file of dosbox. just increase the samples or buffersize. I can't recall what it's called but it's there to fix the problem. Only a matter of buffer.
http://cartridgeports.cf/
ODROID's DO what WinDON'T "That's Blast Processing!"
Cartridge

languages_spoken: english, french natively
ODROIDs: The Perfect ODROID-U2, ODROID-U3+, C1, XU3

Unread postby meveric » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:47 am

The XU4 only runs good on PulseAudio, so make sure that's installed as well.
meveric

Unread postby Hugonl31 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:00 am

Cartridge wrote:There's something for that in the conf file of dosbox. just increase the samples or buffersize. I can't recall what it's called but it's there to fix the problem. Only a matter of buffer.

meveric wrote:The XU4 only runs good on PulseAudio, so make sure that's installed as well.

Thanks! That did the trick :) I increased sound blocksize to 2048 but it was the same, then I tried prebuffer at 60ms instead of the 20ms default, and the sound is perfect! Really happy :)

Only I can't seem to get fullscreen to work... I followed the setup instructions and set output=overlay, and scaler=none, but to no avail.
Any ideas?

Edit: setting the fullresolution=1920x1080 works to get fullscreen, with aspect=true it looks good. But now everything is veeeeery slow.... I set output=overlay... What else can I do? Setting output=opengl gives me a tiny box in fullscreen.
Hugonl31

languages_spoken: english, german, dutch

Unread postby meveric » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:02 am

overlay and fullscreen=desktop should work fine.. speed depends on the game.. th emulator itself (without anything running) should be full speed if you have it on fullscreen.
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:18 am

Update:

I compiled a new version of DOSBox, while the version of DOSBox itself is not much different to the previous version, I added a patch for Glide (3DFx) support.

What does that mean?
Instead of this:

You're getting this:
(not sure why it looks so dark, the game isn't that dark)

It uses openglide together with glshim to convert Glide calls first to OpenGL and then to OpenGL ES.

Tombraider is running rather good :)

The new package is available in my repository (jessie/main package list)
apt-get install dosbox-odroid
meveric

Unread postby ptitSeb » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:37 pm

Hi,

Glad to see the DosBox+OpenGlide+glshim is not only working on the Pandora :)

Did you try Carmageddon? The Pandora is be short on the CPU power for it, but I expect it to run well on the ODroid.
ptitSeb

languages_spoken: english, french

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:58 pm

Hi :)
Nice to see you here.
Haven't tried it yet, but I'll look into it later today.
I read you made a patch to get Carmageddon to run?

I also would like to talk with you again about some other things I tried to get to work.
So if you have some time I'd really like to discuss some topics ;)
meveric

Unread postby ptitSeb » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:17 pm

Thanks!

Yes, there is a small patch to remove the artifacts on Carmageddon. But the 3Dfx version has very less artifacts anyway (but it's better with the patch).

Sure, I'm available for discussion.
ptitSeb

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:59 pm

First initial test (remote) I can say Carmageddon is working with 3DFx.
I'll check tonight on performance.
meveric

Unread postby ptitSeb » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:11 am

Don't forget to put the lfb access mode to "write" only, not full in the glide config of DosBOX, and you should have good performances and nice graphics.

Putting mode to Full will probably destroy the speed, as a glReadPixel will be performed on each frame, and this kind of thing is a performance killer for mobile GPU...
ptitSeb

Unread postby meveric » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:20 am

Ah, good to know :)
I had "full_noaux" set for Tombraider as it was the default and suggested by the config comments.
I didn't feel much of a slowdown though. I'll try with "write" and "write_noaux" instead and see how it works :)

Thanks for the Info.
meveric

Unread postby ptitSeb » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:28 am

TombRaider doesn't use LFB (Linear FrameBuffer), so, it was working full speed. As long the game don't access LFB, there is no glReadPixel and so no speed loss.

Carmageddon, RedGuard or Screamer2/Rally all use LFB access. The LFB was used to put 2D elements on the screen (speedometer, score, things like that). It is intensively used in S2 (all 2D background, for example when choosing team and entering name, is just 2DBlit on the LFB). 3Dfx only handled texture up to 256x256, so for 2D screen, LFB was handy (so you had full access to the framebuffer, in RGB565).
For the game I tested, "write" was good enough, full was too slugish to be usable at all, and none, well, some element are missing on screen.
ptitSeb

Unread postby meveric » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:34 am

I see,

well I'll play around with it and check what's the result with the different settings.
Do you know if this statement is still true:
OpenGlide does not support locking aux buffer, please use _noaux modes.

And I should rather use write_noaux instead?
meveric

Unread postby ptitSeb » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:38 am

I don't know. None of the game I tried used that, but I suspect the statement is still true, as the only lfb access I have seen in the code is the main one.
ptitSeb

Unread postby meveric » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:30 am

Ok, did some testing.
Sadly with not so good results.
The menu and loading screen has many artefacts especially if you use the mouse pointer.
The game itself doesn't have that kind of issue, but is really slow, no matter if I choose lfb=full or lfb=write, both are slow..

I'm gonna try some different settings. But right now it's not nice to play.
meveric

Unread postby ptitSeb » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:30 am

Oh, slow. That's surprising. It is slow on the Pandora, but I thought it was because of the CPU power.

For the artecfacts, you need the small patch I wrote (it's on the OpenPandora boards, is some thread about Pyra and Dosbox I think).

*EDIT*: Found it, here: https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/thread ... st-1362511
ptitSeb

Unread postby meveric » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:09 am

Thanks.. Gonna check on that tomorrow..
Will see if I can tweak settings for Carmageddon to get more speed.

Edit:
Not sure if it's working correctly. CPU usage is really low on the game. Still the game is laggy as hell :(
meveric

Unread postby ptitSeb » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:21 am

Maybe try to force the cycle to a high value, like 10000 or more, instead of max.
ptitSeb

Unread postby meveric » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:06 pm

last tests indicated that with 20000~25000 cycles the performance was the best for Carmageddon, still it was way too slow.

There's something I found in the OpenGLide Log File, which might be the reason why it's so slow:
** OpenGL Information **
--------------------------------------------------------
Vendor:      ptitSeb
Renderer:    GLES_CM wrapper
Version:     1.5 glshim wrapper
Extensions:  GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_array_object GL_ARB_vertex_buffer GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_bgra GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_OES_texture_compression_S3TC GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt3 GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt5 GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_stencil_wrap SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_EXT_direct_state_access
OpenGL Extensions:
Extension GL_EXT_secondary_color is present and ENABLED
Extension GL_ARB_multitexture is present and ENABLED
Note: OpenGL GL_EXT_fog_coord extension is not supported, emulating behavior.
Extension GL_EXT_texture_env_add is present and ENABLED
Extension GL_EXT_texture_env_combine is present and ENABLED
Note: OpenGL GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias extension is not supported, emulating behavior.
Note: OpenGL GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap extension is supported but disabled by user
Note: OpenGL GL_EXT_paletted_texture extension is not supported, emulating behavior.
Note: OpenGL GL_EXT_vertex_array extension is supported but disabled by user
Note: OpenGL GL_EXT_blend_func_separate extension is not supported, emulating behavior.

It seems a lot of the OpenGL functions are only emulated.
meveric

Unread postby ptitSeb » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:48 pm

I'm not sure if the emulated function have that big an impact. The only one I can see could be the paletted texture, but I don't think it explain.
When I profiled the game, it was, on the Pandora, the LFB that was taking most of the time. I tried to optimize it, but didn't got much. There is still a texture to be updated at everyframe...
You should try in software mode and compare the sped with 3Dfx mode, all things equivalent (on my side, I get roughly the same speed, that why I though it was CPU limited).
ptitSeb

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:21 am

tried a different version of carmageddon for "software only" it runs only on 320x240 (scaled to 1920x1080) but it runs full speed, no lagging (but with tons of artifacts... haven't tried the patch for DOSBox yet).
meveric

Unread postby ptitSeb » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:41 am

Ok, so it's the 3Dfx part that is slowing everything down.
Try to put lfb_mode to none, just to test maybe, because lfb access should be the most slowest part.
ptitSeb

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:30 am

I tried "read" result is:
  • no video
  • no menu
  • in game is missing all the info panels (speed, damage, money, etc)
  • character video (upper left corner) is working though O_o
  • game..... full speed :D
It's actually looking really good and is very fast, even faster than the software mode.

meveric

Unread postby ptitSeb » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:12 am

With "read" the game is fullspeed o.O ??
Ok that's odd.

So, that's an interresting test you have done here. I'll analyse how the game is using lfb. It must be doing short burst of data write access or something like that.
ptitSeb

Unread postby ptitSeb » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:50 am

Oh, I realize something. Did you modify OpenGlide source or not?

If not, you need, at least to change the format of the LFBTexture, because it use BGRA, and on glshim this thing is emulated and take time (or you can try to not emulate that in glshim, maybe I should do a LIBGL_BGRA=1 kind of thing, in case it's supported by the hardware).

At minimum, you need to change in grguStsGlide.cpp line 317 GL_BGRA -> GL_RGBA
and in grguLfb.cpp, you need to change the block were tmpBuf[ ii ] gets the new value with

tempBuf[ ii ] = 0x0    |    // A
                ( (*ptr) & 0x001F ) << 19 |  // B
                ( (*ptr) & 0x07E0 ) << 5  |  // G
                ( (*ptr) >> 8 );             // R

and also the glTexSubImage2D below.

I'm working on a patch were I convert to packed GL 5551 (from 565) the Lfb, to save bandwidth, but it doesn't get me enough speed on the Pandora. I'll clean up my patch and put a copy somewhere later...
Last edited by ptitSeb on Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ptitSeb

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:57 pm

I haven't changed the OpenGlide source code yet, but I'll check on that. And see how far I get..
meveric

Unread postby tanarax » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:58 pm

Hi people, I am glad to see 3dfx on dosbox with arm, great work! I am not very familiar with glshim, but is it able conversion of 3dfx to opengl es 2.0 and higher? Probably you use opengles 1.0 or 1.1. Many thanks
tanarax

languages_spoken: english

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:06 pm

GLshim (or gl4es how it's now called) is a wrapper for OpenGL it translates OpenGL 1.x calls into OpenGL ES 1.x calls (where possible).
So It goes something like this 3DFx -> OpenGL -> gl4es -> OpenGL ES.
meveric

Unread postby tanarax » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:08 pm

Thank you for explanation Meveric. I created a lot of custom ui controls using opengl 2.0 and shaders. I like to add support for 3dfx, but going back to opengl es 1.x is pain, well I must think about it yet. One more time, thank you.
tanarax

languages_spoken: english

Return to Games and Emulators