Moderators: meveric, mdrjr, odroid

Re: [GAMES] NVIDIA Game Streaming with ODROID

Unread postby meveric » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:11 am

HateB wrote:I also tried HEVC after adding these lines to /etc/rc.local:

Code: Select all
chmod 666 /dev/amstream_hevc
chmod 666 /dev/amvideo
echo 16 | tee /sys/module/amvdec_h265/parameters/dynamic_buf_num_margin

This shows me that you did not update your installation properly, since these lines are already part of the image if you do a full upgrade as I said.
If you would have done a full upgrade the following lines are already part of rc.local automatically:
##### MOONLIGHT FIXES #####

chmod 666 /sys/class/graphics/fb0/blank
chmod 666 /sys/class/graphics/fb1/blank

chmod 666 /dev/amvideo
echo 16 > /sys/module/amvdec_h265/parameters/dynamic_buf_num_margin

##### MOONLIGHT FIXES END #####

but since you added them manually, it's very likely that you did not update the image properly.

Which confirms your:
HateB wrote:I suppose there's something seriously wrong with my setup on Odroid but I can't figure it out.

I play 1080p@60 with 25Mbits very fluently on the ODROID C2 using Debian Jessie image with MATE desktop and Kodi installed.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby HateB » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:32 am

meveric wrote:This shows me that you did not update your installation properly, since these lines are already part of the image if you do a full upgrade as I said.
If you would have done a full upgrade the following lines are already part of rc.local automatically:
##### MOONLIGHT FIXES #####

chmod 666 /sys/class/graphics/fb0/blank
chmod 666 /sys/class/graphics/fb1/blank

chmod 666 /dev/amvideo
echo 16 > /sys/module/amvdec_h265/parameters/dynamic_buf_num_margin

##### MOONLIGHT FIXES END #####

but since you added them manually, it's very likely that you did not update the image properly.

Which confirms your:
HateB wrote:I suppose there's something seriously wrong with my setup on Odroid but I can't figure it out.

I play 1080p@60 with 25Mbits very fluently on the ODROID C2 using Debian Jessie image with MATE desktop and Kodi installed.

I did once again clean installation. I did apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade first and then I rebooted. Then I installed firmware-ralink for my wifi module. Then I wrote setup-odroid. In setup I installed Mate, kodi and created another user that I'm logged in while using Mate right now. I set up fbturbo while installing desktop. I did apt-get update && apt-get upgrade once more in Mate but it didn't find new packages. I installed moonlight-embedded and as it shows its version to be 2.2.2. when checking moonlight commands in terminal, it's still 2.2.3 when checking with apt-cache show. I checked /etc/rc.local and it shows those 2 first commands under moonlight section and then it shows some other stuff under Kodi. I'll add the rest of the lines again under moonlight because it's not obviously adding them automatically or I'm still missing a library or something.

Another thing that I noticed:

odroid@odroid-jessie64:/$ moonlight stream -forcehw -1080 -app "Steam" 192.168.1.33
Moonlight Embedded 2.2.2 (SDL;VDPAU;EMBEDDED;PULSE;CEC;AML)
//connecting, setting up resolution etc
starting video stream..OPEN es hevc
codec_init amstream version: 2.0
done
starting audio stream...done
starting input stream...done
returning RTP packet queued for too long
Received OOS audio data (expected 30241, but got 20242)
//this similar situation happens over and over again

And this time I didn't reboot after adding the lines in rc.local but I think the reboot fixed the problem and everything is running very smoothly now. I will inform you if I counter any new problems. Thanks a lot meveric. :)
HateB

languages_spoken: English, Finnish, Swedish
ODROIDs: Odroid C2

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:59 am

HateB wrote:I installed moonlight-embedded and as it shows its version to be 2.2.2. when checking moonlight commands in terminal, it's still 2.2.3 when checking with apt-cache show.

Yes, they sometimes mess up the versioning. It's build against tag 2.2.3 but they forgot to increse the version number of the actual applications. But well since it's working I guess it's something that we can ignore ;)

HateB wrote:I checked /etc/rc.local and it shows those 2 first commands under moonlight section and then it shows some other stuff under Kodi. I'll add the rest of the lines again under moonlight because it's not obviously adding them automatically or I'm still missing a library or something.

I'll check on that, maybe some conditions are wrong and it gets not added automatically.

HateB wrote:I will inform you if I counter any new problems. Thanks a lot meveric. :)

Thanks for the feedback I'll try to fix the issues you found, I will also look into the changes done by @crashoverride to see how to integrate this

@crashoverride you should consider pushing your changes to upstream project as a pull request.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby crashoverride » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:10 am

meveric wrote:@crashoverride you should consider pushing your changes to upstream project as a pull request.

With @AreaScout 's assistance, we tried that already. It was not as easy as it sounds. Someone needs to actively test the builds against each supported platform. Otherwise, we end up with the current situation where the build fails on C2 (cmake) or it crashes at startup (ALSA issue). I have attempted to make the patches "upstream friendly" so they can cherry pick should they (or someone else) choose to do so. The original intent of up-streaming was to transfer maintainership. Since this has failed to transpire and I must still maintain Odroid C1/C2 support, there is no benefit to upstreaming. It would require me to test that my patches do not break RPi (or other platforms) before submitting. Rather than assume an additional maintenance burden for platforms that I do not use, I decided to just maintain my own fork as "reference" that anyone is free to use as they see fit with the understanding that it may or may not break non Odroid platforms.
crashoverride

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:58 pm

crashoverride wrote:Otherwise, we end up with the current situation where the build fails on C2 (cmake)

I've build moonlight on the C2 just a few days ago upstream from moonlight-embedded project without any issues. cmake was working fine.
crashoverride wrote:or it crashes at startup (ALSA issue).

Not sure what ALSA issue you're talking about. I mostly use pulseaudio for moonlight embedded, but a quick test with just ALSA gave the same result.
Both is working fine and I could play games without issues.

crashoverride wrote:I have attempted to make the patches "upstream friendly" so they can cherry pick should they (or someone else) choose to do so. The original intent of up-streaming was to transfer maintainership. Since this has failed to transpire and I must still maintain Odroid C1/C2 support, there is no benefit to upstreaming. It would require me to test that my patches do not break RPi (or other platforms) before submitting. Rather than assume an additional maintenance burden for platforms that I do not use, I decided to just maintain my own fork as "reference" that anyone is free to use as they see fit with the understanding that it may or may not break non Odroid platforms.

Well I'll check your patches when I have a little more time to see where they can improve things. Currently I don't see any issues on the C2 with moonlight upstream, but that could be cause my Nvidia only supports H264 not H265.
meveric

Unread postby crashoverride » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:21 pm

meveric wrote:I've build moonlight on the C2 just a few days ago upstream from moonlight-embedded project without any issues.

The issues are present on the official Ubuntu image.
crashoverride

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:56 pm

could be an compiler issue, we saw similar effects with Chromium which would not compile correctly under Ubuntu 16.04. Using an older (more stable version) like gcc 4.9 might actually solve this issue.
meveric

Unread postby crashoverride » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:56 pm

Cmake fails on Ubuntu C2 because the aml_libs headers are not installed to the same location as they are on C1. The result is the cmake system fails to identify the platform as AML.

The ALSA issue is a result of a patch for RPi that changed the device name from "default" to "sysdefault". This causes the program to terminate with ALSA mmap not supported errors on C2.

Neither of these issues would be affected by cmake or gcc version. They would only be detected if the build was tested on C2 Ubuntu. It also demonstrates how easy it is to break another platform with changes intended for a different platform.
crashoverride

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:18 pm

crashoverride wrote:Cmake fails on Ubuntu C2 because the aml_libs headers are not installed to the same location as they are on C1. The result is the cmake system fails to identify the platform as AML.

Ah, I see. Well they are installed in the same location on my Debian builds so that's why I don't have that issue.

crashoverride wrote:The ALSA issue is a result of a patch for RPi that changed the device name from "default" to "sysdefault". This causes the program to terminate with ALSA mmap not supported errors on C2.

Strangely enough that's working on Debian without an issue, but even so it's really not much of an issue since you can either use the moonlight.conf file to define a new default audio device, or simply start moonlight with -audio <device> command.
So that shouldn't be an issue at all.

crashoverride wrote:Neither of these issues would be affected by cmake or gcc version.

Agreed, not related to cmake or gcc, but you made it sound like there was a compiling issue.

crashoverride wrote:They would only be detected if the build was tested on C2 Ubuntu.

So in fact the issue is with the OS not with moonlight or the code.

crashoverride wrote:It also demonstrates how easy it is to break another platform with changes intended for a different platform.

I think it rather shows that the Ubuntu image has quite some issues. The aml_libs package can easily be written like it's done on the C1. That's something mdrjr chose not to do.

And for the ALSA issue:
Here's the output of aplay -L to show the available ALSA devices on my Debian Jessie image:
$ aplay -L
sysdefault:CARD=ODROIDHDMI
    ODROID-HDMI,
    Default Audio Device
as you can see sysdefault points to the HDMI sound device as it should be:
here's a default Ubuntu 16.10 image running on an Intel Machine
with pulse audio enabled
$ aplay -L
    Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
sysdefault:CARD=I82801AAICH
    Intel 82801AA-ICH, Intel 82801AA-ICH
    Default Audio Device

without pulse audio
$ aplay -L
default:CARD=I82801AAICH
    Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=I82801AAICH
    Default Audio Device

As you can see on "NORMAL" images sysdefault points to the sound card (and right device) of the system.

So I'd say it's not the change on moonlight that broke something, but rather the way the HardKernel Ubuntu image differs from most other image out there.
meveric

Unread postby crashoverride » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:05 pm

A better synopsis is that upstream does not test Odroid C2 and I do not test RPi. With separate repos, someone will have to test the code submitted to them and I will have to test the code pulled from them. Everyone wins because the software works for the intended target platform. If anyone wishes to take on maintainership and testing for Odroid, I will gladly defer to them. I reluctantly do it because nobody is. ;)
crashoverride

Unread postby HealerKeeper » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:17 pm

So from what I read in this thread you can do
apt-get install moonlight-embedded
on debian with a c2? Is it possible to add the same repo to the ubuntu 16.04 image of the c2?
HealerKeeper

Unread postby meveric » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:26 pm

I don't think so, some of the dependencies are specific to Debian, and you would have to install some manual packages. I think it was already discussed in this thread.. Try to read the last two pages here I think someone already tried and failed using it on Ubuntu.
meveric

Unread postby Steven185 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:10 am

So I'm gaming at my 1440p monitor using moonlight for some time now. But 1080p gets tiring after a while , especially when it is not a native resolution.

So I decided to buy ODroid C2 due to its support of higher resolutions (than 1080p @ 60). In short should/can it support 1440p @ 60? I understand that it can output 4k in theory, but 1440p is an awkward -in between- resolution.

If possible -please- someone try. If it can do 1440p @ 60 (using moonlight), hardkernel must consider me a new customer.

Thanks.
Steven185

Unread postby odroid » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:33 am

C2 HDMI output supports 2560x1440x60Hz and 3440x1440x60Hz.
http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id= ... esolutions
But I'm not sure if the moonlight streaming is smooth enough on that resolution or not.
If your video card supports the HEVC output, the possibility is quite high.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby Steven185 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:43 pm

odroid wrote:C2 HDMI output supports 2560x1440x60Hz and 3440x1440x60Hz.
http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id= ... esolutions
But I'm not sure if the moonlight streaming is smooth enough on that resolution or not.
If your video card supports the HEVC output, the possibility is quite high.

Titan Xp owner here. Gigabit network, only thing that is missing is a good streamer that will enable me to game in the bedroom while keeping an eye on the junior sleeping (can't bring a PC in there for obvious reasons).

Thanks , I hope C2 will be exactly what was missing from my setup.
Steven185

Unread postby crashoverride » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:05 am

There are 3 resolutions to consider:
1) The native PC resolution that the game is being rendered at.
2) The encoding resolution that is sent over the wire.
3) The native display resolution of the receiver (C2).

As an example, the PC can be 1080p. The stream can be sent over the wire at 720p. The C2 can be connected to 4K UHD display.

Steven185 wrote:But 1080p gets tiring after a while , especially when it is not a native resolution.

You should probably elaborate on that. What is the issue you hope to solve?
crashoverride

Unread postby Steven185 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:49 am

crashoverride wrote:.

Steven185 wrote:But 1080p gets tiring after a while , especially when it is not a native resolution.

You should probably elaborate on that. What is the issue you hope to solve?

My raspberry Pi cannot output anything over 1920x1080 pixels.
My monitor's native is 2560x1440 so is forced to render to a non native resolutions.
Rendering on non native resolutions on LCD screens causes a short of "fog" making the content look quite worse than it would look if rendered natively.

In other words, being 1440p, I'd expect my monitor best play 1440p content at all times (on all 3 levels).

My inquiry was whether C2 + moonlight could do that and the answer was yes. Anything I should be concerned about?
Steven185

Unread postby crashoverride » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:22 am

I have not tested 1440p on PC. PC resolution of 1080p, wire resolution of 1080p (HEVC), and C2 display resolution of 4K looks fine. This combination is a "perfect" scale since 4K is 1080p x 2.

As others have noticed, the C2 outputs a much "cleaner" (less banding, more detail) video than RPi. So even with 1080p, you will likely have a better experience. At 1440p resolution, the C2 will up-scale 1080p video so its also worth trying. If your PC, moonlight-embedded, and C2 are all set for 1440p, then its "as good as you can get" (no scaling).

Please post your C2 experience so its documented here for others.
crashoverride

Unread postby Steven185 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:11 pm

Yes that's my plan. Have my PC render at 1440p, then HEVC encode it to 1440p and finally decode/output it at a native (for my display) 1440p. That way I think (and hope) that I'll have the crispest image possible. Moonlight embedded does seem to support custom resolutions (i.e. not HD/FHD/UHD) by adding the -width / -height flags when running it. Now whether it would run as advertised/expected I don't know.

C2 does seem capable of streaming 1440p video though (what basically HEVC streaming is) so I'd think it would not be the bottleneck.
BTW I haven't ordered it yet, I'm still on the planning phase, but once I do (and receive it) I'll report my experiences.

In theory it should work (1440p on all levels of analysis), no?
Steven185

Unread postby crashoverride » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:25 am

Nobody has stated any reason it should not be expected to work. Since the combination has not actually been tested, we wont know for certain until someone tries it.
crashoverride

Unread postby substring » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:54 am

As for me, I'm compiling moonlight 2.4.1 through Buildroot for a C2, added the libamcodecs from mdrjr. Starting moonlight just gives a black screen. Audio and inputs do work, so I believe it's a pure video decoding error. the moonlight output shows nothing particular, it can be read from https://pastebin.com/jmiVjsHr
substring

languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: C2, XU4

Unread postby meveric » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:51 am

you probably are missing the permissions for the amlogic devices for the decoder.
Check the first post on this page (also from me) which shows what permissions should be passed.
meveric

Unread postby substring » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:22 am

Hey meveric thank you for replying !

I added what you suggested to https://github.com/mdrjr/c2_bootini/blo ... c2_init.sh (which is run at boot), still a black screen :/
substring

Unread postby meveric » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:35 am

Don't add it to c2_init.sh that's the wrong place to put it it will most likely not work there, rather put it in /etc/rc.local.
meveric

Unread postby substring » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:48 am

whrever I add it, it has no effect ... I guess manually running those few lines right before starting moonlight should work ?
substring

Unread postby substring » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:50 am

just to make sure it's all setup as expected :
# ls -l /dev/amvideo
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root      264,   0 Jan  1  1980 /dev/amvideo
# ls -l /dev/amstream_hevc
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root      255,   8 Jan  1  1980 /dev/amstream_hevc
# ls -l /sys/class/graphics/fb?/blank
-rw-rw-rw-    1 root     root          4096 Jun 24 22:45 /sys/class/graphics/fb0/blank
-rw-rw-rw-    1 root     root          4096 Jun 24 22:45 /sys/class/graphics/fb1/blank
# cat /sys/module/amvdec_h265/parameters/dynamic_buf_num_margin
substring

Unread postby meveric » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:01 am

yes that should work too and the permissions look fine.
meveric

Unread postby substring » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:04 am

still no luck, the screen remains black
substring

Unread postby meveric » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:16 am

I wonder if it could be an issue with the 3D GPU drivers. Although the rendering should be done by the VPU not GPU, but maybe it's something else.
Do you use a desktop image or running it from terminal?
meveric

Unread postby substring » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:22 am

long story short : i'm part of the Recalbox dev team, i was told about the AML lib a few weeks ago regarding some kodi decoding problems. So far moonlight was using software decoding (which means totally unplayable). I'm giving a try to moonlight with AML now ... It does compile fine + seems to start almost fine, just no video

Now, about the background : it's all using fbdev, no X. Moonlight is launched by Emulationstation, but doing it on a terminal gives the same results : black screen with audio and inputs working
substring

Unread postby meveric » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

I'm not sure, it should work with fbdev as well, I think the first tests with AML support were done under fbdev as well.
As long as GPU drivers are in place and working it should work fine, and it should be since Emulationstation is working as well.
meveric

Unread postby crashoverride » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:06 am

You can try this version:
https://github.com/OtherCrashOverride/moonlight-embedded-crashoverride

On C1/C2, moonlight-embedded does not use the GPU (Mali) at all. Video is rendered to a hardware "overlay". This layer is logically behind the framebuffer. This means the framebuffer must be transparent (RGBA=0,0,0,0) for the layer to be visible. This is also accomplished through "/sys/class/graphics/fb0/blank" which disables the framebuffer layer.

The version in my repo linked above uses IOCTLs instead of sysfs entries.
crashoverride

Unread postby substring » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:23 pm

As recalbox is also ported to XU4, which repo should I use for it ? irtimmer's or yours ?

Now, for my understanding (I do admit i don't know much about C2 or XU4 internals) : the C2 works rather great on the GPU side. We do have GPU acceleration in SDL, 3D works great and is rendered in fbdev. But i should echo some 0 or 1 to "/sys/class/graphics/fb0/blank" in order to make the upper framebuffer overlay transparent ? which value should I echo ? Is that dynamic ? (i.e. changing the value while moonlight is running).

Looking at crashoverride's repo, this should be easily ported to the current moonlight version, i'll consider that if tests are ok (buildroot allows some bord specific patchs)

I'll give a try to you version CrashOverride and will gladly report back !
substring

Unread postby crashoverride » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:22 pm

substring wrote:As recalbox is also ported to XU4, which repo should I use for it ?

Currently (subject to change), this branch is the recommended one:
https://github.com/OtherCrashOverride/moonlight-embedded-crashoverride/tree/xu4-openal

The XU4 build is entirely different and has different dependencies. See this discussion thread for more info:
viewtopic.php?f=146&t=27084

[edit]
The above is for X11 only. I currently do not have a fbdev version for XU4.

substring wrote:But i should echo some 0 or 1 to "/sys/class/graphics/fb0/blank" in order to make the upper framebuffer overlay transparent ?

Blanking is the simplest and most portable (fbdev/X11) way to make the framebuffer transparent. You can use other methods (memcpy, GLES, etc). The parts of the famebuffer that are transparent allow the video layer behind it to show through. The video layer is hardware blended with the framebuffer according to alpha value using the standard alpha blend formula [color = srcRGB * (srcAlpha) + dstRGB * (1 - srcAlpha)].
crashoverride

Unread postby substring » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:23 pm

ported your main C2 commit to moonlight 2.4.1 : still the same problem :/

Edit:
mmmhhhh ... c2play should work the same, right ?
substring

Unread postby crashoverride » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:05 pm

c2play uses EGL/GLES to clear the framebuffer to transparent. It does this because it requires the framebuffer to display subtitles.
crashoverride

Unread postby crashoverride » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:11 pm

substring wrote:ported your main C2 commit to moonlight 2.4.1

Try the repo as-is.
crashoverride

Unread postby substring » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:41 pm

still the same ... that would mean i'm missing something in my system I guess
substring

Unread postby HateB » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:35 pm

I have Debian Jessie by meveric for C2. I updated yesterday Moonlight-embedded 2.3.0 to 2.4.1 by downloading the newest tar.gz on Github and doing the magic. When I use H265 as codec I get the audio but no video and I can hear that the controls work. When I use H264 I get black screen and no response and I have to shutdown the system via ssh connection because shift-ctrl-alt-q does nothing.

odroid@odroid-jessie64:~$ sudo moonlight stream 192.168.1.33 -verbose -720 -fps 60 -bitrate 10000 -codec h265 -app Steam
Moonlight Embedded 2.4.1 (EMBEDDED;ALSA;PULSE;AML)
Connect to 192.168.1.33...
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, GFE 3.7.0.81 (gs_03_80_22266601, 7.1.380.0)
Platform AMLogic VPU
Loading mappingfile /usr/local/share//moonlight/gamecontrollerdb.txt
No mapping available for /dev/input/event0 (100000008e1b0000ec0c000001000000)
No mapping available for /dev/input/event1 (19000000b41600000107000001000000)
Stream 1280 x 720, 60 fps, 10000 kbps
Initializing platform...done
Resolving host name...done
Starting RTSP handshake...done
Initializing control stream...done
Initializing video stream...done
Initializing audio stream...done
Initializing input stream...done
Starting control stream...done
Starting video stream...OPEN es hevc
codec_init amstream version : 2.0
[codec_close_cntl]video codec close return=0!
done

Please, feel free to ask anything that could be helpful.
HateB

Unread postby crashoverride » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:06 am

Has anyone attempted "downgrading" to the 2.x version to see if the black screen still exists?
http://us.download.nvidia.com/GFE/GFEClient/2.11.4.0/GeForce_Experience_v2.11.4.0.exe

The above was the last version that does not require creating a Nvidia account and is the one I test with.
crashoverride

Unread postby meveric » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:06 am

I don't think it's an issue with GFE.. I have GFE 3.x as well and it's working.. But I use moonlight 2.2.3.
There were tons of changes in the newer version of moonlight.
meveric

Unread postby substring » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:55 am

crashoverride wrote:Has anyone attempted "downgrading" to the 2.x version to see if the black screen still exists?
http://us.download.nvidia.com/GFE/GFEClient/2.11.4.0/GeForce_Experience_v2.11.4.0.exe

The above was the last version that does not require creating a Nvidia account and is the one I test with.

I'm using the same version of moonlight on a pi and a C2, both with the same PC. It does even work with the latest 3.7 GFE on the Pi, my C2 build has a black screen issue (and probably sound too)
substring

Unread postby crashoverride » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:02 pm

Another suggestion to help diagnose is to run moonlight and while its running, use a SSH session to toggle the fb0/fb1 "blank" sysfs entry manually.
crashoverride

Unread postby substring » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:21 am

AT LAST IT WORKS !!!!! looks like it turned to be a bad mix of framebuffer initialization scripts (used to have one taken from LibreElec, added the one from mdrjr ... removed the libreelec one to just rely on mdrjr's !

@crashoverride this worked with your version of moonlight. Will give a try to upstream 2.4.1 then eventually repatch it with your aml.c. May I ask what https://github.com/irtimmer/moonlight-e ... /aml.c#L82 is meant to and if it's equivalent to https://github.com/OtherCrashOverride/m ... #L113-L130 ?
substring

Unread postby crashoverride » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:57 am

substring wrote:May I ask what https://github.com/irtimmer/moonlight-e ... /aml.c#L82 is meant to and if it's equivalent to https://github.com/OtherCrashOverride/m ... #L113-L130 ?

They should be functionally identical. I directly call the IOCTL in my code, upstream uses aml_libs to call the IOCTL:
https://github.com/mdrjr/c2_aml_libs/blob/master/amcodec/codec/codec_ctrl.c#L2144-L2157

In c2play, I abandoned the use of aml_libs due to technical issues (there is a post somewhere that describes the issue regarding fbdev mode/alpha changes on codec open/close). For moonlight-embedded, it should not matter.
crashoverride

Unread postby Steven185 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:50 am

crashoverride wrote:I forked upstream here for C1/C2:
https://github.com/OtherCrashOverride/m ... shoverride

Notable changes are:
* build fixed for C2
* ALSA default device changed so it does not crash at startup anymore on C2.
* sysfs is no longer used. Permissions are now dependent only on the device entry in /dev (eliminates the need for "sudo" on Ubuntu 16.04 image).
* Codec now operates in free-run mode.

The last item is the most import change. The codec now displays a frame as soon as its available rather than using its internal timing. This should reduce video lag at the expense of video "judder". It should be comparable to other systems such as the RPi that did not use internal timing to smooth out video frames. With this change, there should never be video buffer overflow. However, audio is unchanged and may go out of sync. As noted before, PTS information is required to correct this.

I have only tested this on C2 with the official Ubuntu image. Other distributions can verify free-run mode with:
cat /sys/class/video/freerun_mode

It should be "0" before and after a clean exit. During operation, it should be "1".

For now, dependencies and cmake build system are the same. Ensure you are building in "release" mode for best performace.
cmake -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ../

Fellow C2 owner here running Ubuntu Mate (the official Image) but for some reason it does not install, here's what I get when I write "make install" (the final command):

-- Install configuration: "Release"
-- Installing: /usr/local/lib/libmoonlight-aml.so
CMake Error at cmake_install.cmake:42 (file):
  file INSTALL cannot copy file
  "/home/odroid/moonlight-embedded-crashoverride/build/libmoonlight-aml.so"
  to "/usr/local/lib/libmoonlight-aml.so".

Makefile:61: recipe for target 'install' failed
make: *** [install] Error 1
Steven185

Unread postby crashoverride » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:57 am

Steven185 wrote:here's what I get when I write "make install" (the final command):

It is likely a permission issue. Try:
sudo make install
crashoverride

Unread postby Icy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:58 am

Hi Guys!

Very new to this stuff, but keen to try it out. I have hit a problem though it seems.

Basically I have the problem HateB previously had when trying to install the moonlight-embedded package:

HateB wrote:I installed Debian Jessie image and updated it. Then I setup Mate. I wrote apt-get install moonlight-embedded but it doesn't install successfully because

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 moonlight-embedded : Depends: libavcodec56 (>= 10:2.6.9) but 6:11.8-1~deb8ul is to be installed
                      Depends: libavutil54 (>= 10:2.6.9) but 6:11.8-1~deb8ul is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

What am I doing wrong? I tried to follow steps that servi made on page 2 but I'm still probably doing something wrong.

Actually I am getting this to be exact (only a small version difference):
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 moonlight-embedded : Depends: libavcodec56 (>= 10:2.6.9) but 6:11.9-1~deb8u1 is installed.
                      Depends: libavutil54 (>= 10:2.6.9) but 6:11.9-1~deb8u1 is installed.

I could see the following when trying to run apt update:
W: Failed to fetch http://www.deb-multimedia.org/dists/jessie/InRelease  Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-arm64/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

And checking the http://www.deb-multimedia.org source I can see there is no arm64 branch, and no other source around with libavcodec56 & libavutil54 for Jessie so I added [arch=armrf] to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/deb-multimedia.list as a last ditch effort to resolve the error - which it did:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
All packages are up to date.

I'm guessing this is more hiding the problem than resolving. Regardless I am still stuck with the old version of libavcodec56 & libavutil54:
dpkg -l | grep libavcodec56
ii  libavcodec56:arm64             6:11.9-1~deb8u1                         arm64        Libav codec library

apt install --only-upgrade libavcodec56
Building dependency tree
libavcodec56 is already the newest version.

Unlike HateB no amount of rebooting my router has magically resolved the issue ;)
Not sure if I am looking in the right direction here?? Any help greatly appreciated.
Icy

ODROIDs: ODROID-C2

Unread postby HateB » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:10 am

Icy wrote:And checking the http://www.deb-multimedia.org source I can see there is no arm64 branch, and no other source around with libavcodec56 & libavutil54 for Jessie so I added [arch=armrf] to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/deb-multimedia.list as a last ditch effort to resolve the error - which it did:
Building dependency tree
All packages are up to date.

I'm guessing this is more hiding the problem than resolving. Regardless I am still stuck with the old version of libavcodec56 & libavutil54:
dpkg -l | grep libavcodec56
ii  libavcodec56:arm64             6:11.9-1~deb8u1                         arm64        Libav codec library

apt install --only-upgrade libavcodec56
Building dependency tree
libavcodec56 is already the newest version.

Unlike HateB no amount of rebooting my router has magically resolved the issue ;)
Not sure if I am looking in the right direction here?? Any help greatly appreciated.

meveric wrote:
g000444555 wrote:Mind the fact that it gets "stuck" for long time (haven't measured the time but it's about 10-30 min) at the following points during upgrade:

Examining /etc/kernel/preinst.d/
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/preinst.d/remove-old-on-upgrade 3.14.79+ /boot/vmlinuz-3.14.79+
Done.
Unpacking linux-image-3.14.79+ (3.14.79-20170707-C2) over (3.14.79-20170511-C2) ...

Unpacking locales (2.19-18+deb8u10) over (2.19-18+deb8u9) ...
Preparing to unpack .../linux-headers-3.14.79+_3.14.79-20170707-C2_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-headers-3.14.79+ (3.14.79-20170707-C2) over (3.14.79-20170511-C2) ...

This depends on your storage media. Kernel and Headers are thousands of small files, and SD cards can take quite a while to process them all. eMMC or HDD do them much faster.

g000444555 wrote:Also, I have previously noticed that I could not interrupt the upgrade during any of the above steps, with the result the system to seem freeze and unresponsive during those steps (Ctrl+C or Esc would not work).

You can only interrupt before/after a certain process, so WHILE it's extracting it won't allow to break it, and you shouldn't you end up with a broken update/install which may not be able to recover, especially the Kernel Image update is critical, since it removes and re-creates files, which should not be interrupted at all.

g000444555 wrote:Also, as indicated by the following output, the repository /etc/apt/sources.list.d/deb-multimedia.list does not support arm64 packages, so it is better to remove it:

W: Failed to fetch http://www.deb-multimedia.org/dists/jessie/InRelease  Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-arm64/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

True, they were removed recently. I'm thinking about removing them.
I kinda looking into switching to Debian Stretch for arm64 completely, since Debian Jessie is not well supported and I had to backport tons of packages already.
Stretch has deb-multimedia packages available.

source: viewtopic.php?t=19403&p=196804#p196804

By the way, myself installed with cmake/make 2.4.1 on freshly installed Debian Stretch. I had to install aml-libs-odroid manually by downloading from oph.mdrjr(I think it was "Jessie" file). There were actually many files I had to check since it was fresh intall without desktop. Just need to fix low performance issue which is probably caused by living in central full of 2,4 GHz router. :cry:
HateB

Unread postby Icy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:46 am

Thanks for the quick reply HateB

So you're suggesting I start again with Debian Stretch? Or is there a way of resolving the problem with meveric's Jessie image as a base?
Happy to work with newer version, but may need a hand with the extra steps you mention as I am quite new to all this :D
Unless meveric's WIP Stretch image is a good start? - viewtopic.php?f=138&t=27449
Icy

ODROIDs: ODROID-C2

PreviousNext

Return to Games and Emulators