[DEBIAN] Wheezy 7.0 for ODROID (CoburnDomain edition)

mcoburn
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID-U2, ODROID-XU, ODROID-C1

[DEBIAN] Wheezy 7.0 for ODROID (CoburnDomain edition)

Unread post by mcoburn » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:46 pm

What?
This is my own setup of Debian. It provides a end user with a complete SD Card image with all the stuff that one needs to use Debian out of the box, at the command line. From there, one can install their own desired software. This provides a solid, tested base and if you mess up, you can start over - rather than having to mess around with stuff.

It does not have anything non-essential. Let me put it this way: I've baked the cake, it's up to you to put the icing on it.

Why use it?
  • Works, regardless of eMMC or microSD (untested on eMMC, but it *SHOULD* work - your mileage may vary)
  • Rapid boot
  • Allows the end user to configure Debian to their tastes
  • No X, pure console - See above
Bugs
LAN Bug fixed.
Loadavg Bug fixed.
Now the loadavg read outs are broken. I am recompiling again.

Downloads
None yet.
Last edited by mcoburn on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
M. Coburn
Coburn Tech Solutions
ODROIDs owned: ODROID-U2/ODROID-XU Rev 0.3 (20130717)/ODROID-C1/ODROID-XU4
Accessories: eMMC NAND modules, ODROID-VU, WiFi Modules, Serial Terminal to USB Adapter

m4cios
languages_spoken: english,polish
ODROIDs: ODROID-X

Re: [DEBIAN] Wheezy 7.0 for ODROID (CoburnDomain edition)

Unread post by m4cios » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:13 pm

would be nice to have working version on odroid-x ... unfortunetly i dont have enough knowledge to do it by myself ;/

littleguy
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODroid-U2

Unread post by littleguy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:28 pm

mcoburn wrote: Downloads
None yet.
Hey mco, I'm running another Debian Wheezy version (from odroid.us) and that version is completely headless (display doesn't even start up).

Can you advise on what package is needed to get the HDMI output working? I'd like to have just the console, as in your upcoming version.

recliq
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: 2xU2 + U3 + XU3 + 2xXU4 + C2

Unread post by recliq » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:38 pm

AFAIK framebuffer console does not yet work on any linux distro for odroid-u2/x2. (kernel/driver issues)
So the only way to get a display on monitor is to use X right now...

littleguy

Unread post by littleguy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:41 pm

recliq wrote:AFAIK framebuffer console does not yet work on any linux distro for odroid-u2/x2. (kernel/driver issues)
I don't mind that either, I tried installing the following packages:

Code: Select all

apt-get install gnome-core xorg gdm3
However the display still doesn't start up even though X is running, no signal at all.. Any ideas?

mdrjr
Site Admin
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Unread post by mdrjr » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:46 pm

xorg.conf! :)

you must configure it like this one below:

Section "Device"
	identifier "FBDEV"
	Driver "fbdev"
	Option "fbdev" "/dev/fb6"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	identifier "Default Screen"
	Device "FBDEV"
	DefaultDepth 16
EndSection

littleguy

Unread post by littleguy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:59 pm

mdrjr wrote:xorg.conf! :)
you must configure it like this one below:
[/code]
Amazing, it works!

I simply created the file:
/etc/X11/xorg.conf
And input your lines exactly.

Then restart Gnome Display Manager, and the display starts working!

service gdm3 restart
I was using the headless version from odroid.us I had to also modify the boot.txt file to enable the display. (It was not enabled by default.) Here is my full boot.txt that boots from SD card and enables 720p display:

setenv initrd_high "0xffffffff"
setenv fdt_high "0xffffffff"
setenv fb_x_res "1280"
setenv fb_y_res "720"
setenv hdmi_phy_res "720"
setenv bootcmd "fatload mmc 0:1 0x40008000 zImage; fatload mmc 0:1 0x42000000 uInitrd; bootm 0x40008000 0x42000000"
setenv bootargs "console=tty1 console=ttySAC1,115200n8 fb_x_res=${fb_x_res} fb_y_res=${fb_y_res} hdmi_phy_res=${hdmi_phy_res} root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait ro mem=2047M"
boot
There are instructions for how to compile to .scr file here:
http://odroid.us/mediawiki/index.php?ti ... oot_Script

Command for mounting /boot partition has changed slightly, I had to do this:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot

osterluk
ODROIDs: Odroid-U2

Unread post by osterluk » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:02 am

Everyone is welcome to update my unofficial wiki: http://odroid.us/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

The Debian stuff is here: http://odroid.us/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Just add a username (helps me keep 'bots from wrecking the wiki) and go for it. I don't care if your English is not good. If you don't feel like editing the article, add notes to the discussion page and I'll work in the changes as I have time.

littleguy

Unread post by littleguy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:58 am

osterluk wrote:Everyone is welcome
Yay, welcome osterluk!

Was enjoying your wiki during the forums downtime.

Glad you found your way here, looking forward to more Debian awesomeness. :)
ODroid is a great headless server platform.

osterluk

Unread post by osterluk » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:29 am

This is what I have in mind:
-- Keep the partition layout in-sync with the official HK ubuntu
-- Keep a minimal pristine wheezy root file system. Include networking so we can apt-get at will to pick up desired packages
-- Keep a development root file system that has native gcc and other tools, ready to build apps -- including kernel and drivers
-- Work out a way to add in a light weight window manager -- it can really help while debugging. (some of you have already done it)

It is much easier to add packages to a system than to remove them once added because of dependencies.

Coming up:
-- At some point I'll post a compatible cortex-a9 hard-float cross toolchain with exactly matching libs and headers for both wheezy and HK Ubuntu.
-- I can boot a root file system using the latest qemu (1.4) to emulate my odroid (pretending it is a versatile express board). If you are interested in this, please open another topic to discuss it (or help with it)

osterluk

Unread post by osterluk » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:35 am

m4cios wrote:would be nice to have working version on odroid-x ... unfortunetly i dont have enough knowledge to do it by myself ;/
I have run the wheezy root file system on my odroid-x. If you take the root file system tarball and write it to your SD card, it should just work.

If you need help, check out my wiki: http://odroid.us/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Go to the tutorials section and look for "Updating from Root File System Images"

m4cios
languages_spoken: english,polish
ODROIDs: ODROID-X

Unread post by m4cios » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:11 am

ill try wheezy on odroid-x as soon as possible :) thanks for the tips ... maybe we will get working gpu drivers in near future for debian :)

mcoburn
ODROIDs: ODROID-U2, ODROID-XU, ODROID-C1

Unread post by mcoburn » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:18 pm

As I have said, the OS should be platform independent. All you need if you want you to run it on your ODROID-X/X2 is simply just change the kernel and modules. That's all. Debian will reconfigure itself automatically based on the kernel.
Also, please don't hijack my threads. I'm just saying this because it causes confusion over people thinking "Oh, he says to go here and download this" when that download is nothing to do with mine.

Support, of course, will be given here in this thread.
M. Coburn
Coburn Tech Solutions
ODROIDs owned: ODROID-U2/ODROID-XU Rev 0.3 (20130717)/ODROID-C1/ODROID-XU4
Accessories: eMMC NAND modules, ODROID-VU, WiFi Modules, Serial Terminal to USB Adapter

ngue2me
ODROIDs: U2

Unread post by ngue2me » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:21 am

@osterluk
I'm having some USB problems with your Debian (anyway, tank you for the great job :) ).
I have an audio usb class 2 device attacced (NuForce dac) but when I power on my U2 no audio device is found except the odroid built in audio.
If I detach and reattach the dac or reboot U2, It is found :|

Do you know if there are some update in usb drivers or something? Don't know how to solve.

osterluk

Unread post by osterluk » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:41 am

ngue2me wrote:@osterluk
I'm having some USB problems with your Debian (anyway, tank you for the great job :) ).
I have an audio usb class 2 device attacced (NuForce dac) but when I power on my U2 no audio device is found except the odroid built in audio.
If I detach and reattach the dac or reboot U2, It is found :|

Do you know if there are some update in usb drivers or something? Don't know how to solve.
odroid, could you please move this post to avoid upsetting mcoburn? I'll re-announce my wiki topic on new thread.

odroid
Site Admin
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:02 am

osterluk wrote: odroid, could you please move this post to avoid upsetting mcoburn? I'll re-announce my wiki topic on new thread.
Move to where?

konfiot
languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: Odroid U2

Unread post by konfiot » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:08 am

Hello everybody,
I remember that on the old forum, someone helped me because my fstab blocked the system boot, he posted a procedure to add a line to the fstab to mount my harddrive with a command (not editing the fstab with nano)
Can you post this procedure again please, because now I have to change my harddrive
Thanks in advance

neagix
ODROIDs: U2

Unread post by neagix » Thu May 09, 2013 4:07 pm

Guys, I have packaged a minimal SD image based on odroid.us' base rootfs:

http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1239

Matt
ODROIDs: X2, U2, XU+E rev.2, Smart Power

Unread post by Matt » Fri May 10, 2013 1:40 pm

recliq wrote:AFAIK framebuffer console does not yet work on any linux distro for odroid-u2/x2. (kernel/driver issues)
This is true about the U2. There is no possible way of using a framebuffer console with the U2 because the HDMI PHY is a V4L2 device. Fortunately for those of us who have the X2, the LCD driver *is* a framebuffer device, and it is possible to get the standard ALT+F1-F6 consoles supported by doing a fairly simple kernel recompile as well as disabling the /etc/init/openvt.conf config file.

If you are familiar with compiling an x86 kernel to give you a framebuffer console so that you can have a "pretty" boot sequence with nice-looking smaller fonts, then you already know how to enable the console on the LCD kit. The reson for disabling openvt.conf is that it causes the first virtual terminal to always be logged in as root, which would be considered a security concern on any x86 machine, so I assume that people other than I would also want that functionality disabled. Unfortunately, I believe that the reason this functionality exists is because the serial console is always meant to be logged in as root, and the serial console must be linked to the first virtual terminal, so disabling this config probably also disables the root login on the serial console. The last time I booted into a kernel configured with the framebuffer console my serial console wasn't working properly after booting into Linux, so disabling openvt.conf may also screw up the serial console.

TL;DR:
Sorry for being long-winded, and also sorry for going on about something that really isn't useful for anyone who only has a U2. For those of you who have an X2 with the LCD kit, I will try to set up a Guide in the Ubuntu How-Tos forum with everything you need to know to get this set up.
ODROID Boards: U2, X2, XU+E rev.2
Accessories: VU, Smart Power, 13" LCD Kit (for the X2)

konfiot
languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: Odroid U2

Unread post by konfiot » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:18 pm

Hello everybody,
Not sure it is the right topic, but I've downloaded the debian "base" version from odroid.us, and I've got a problem with my fstab which doesn't work.
Actually, the problem is that it seems that it isn't interpreted at boot, beacause when I boot, my HDD isn't mounted, but when I do sudo mount -a, the HDD is mounted successfully
I've searched in dmesg for keywords like mount or sda, but I didn't found anything useful.
Do you have any Ideas ? Do you know which keywords do I have to look for in logfiles ?
Thanks in advance

osterluk

Unread post by osterluk » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:57 am

Could you ask the question on a different tread?http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=245 is where the base debian image is supported (hint cat /etc/mtab after you mount your usb drive manually to see how to change /etc/fstab )

@neagix added development packages to the base along with GUI: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1239

@mcoburn doesn't like posts on his thread -- it is Debian, but derived differently.

Return to “Other OS”