No power over UPS (even with power supply connected)

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

No power over UPS (even with power supply connected)

Unread postby T_X » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:52 am

I have an Odroid U3, the Odroid UPS and a Motorola Lapdock here.

When I first got these, the UPS worked fine, the Odroid U3 was booting immediately when I attached the UPS. Now the Odroid remains silent, even when I connect the 5V power supply to the UPS.

I also tried to recharge the UPS over night while disconnecting it from the U3. But still the same issue the next morning when reattaching the UPS to the U3.

I haven't used the UPS much yet, most of the time I had the power supply connected. Might have been less or about four hours I had the UPS+U3 running without an extra power supply.
T_X

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid U3

Re: No power over UPS (even with power supply connected)

Unread postby mdrjr » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:04 am

If you remove the UPS an connect the PSU directly to u3 .. it works?

Also, remove both batteries way a sec and reconnect see if it works.
mdrjr
Site Admin

languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Unread postby T_X » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:19 am

mdrjr wrote:If you remove the UPS an connect the PSU directly to u3 .. it works?

Yes, then it works absolutely fine.

mdrjr wrote:Also, remove both batteries way a sec and reconnect see if it works.

It depends, I could now narrow it down to when it's working and when not :).

Works: First connecting the UPS to the Odroid, then connecting batteries or power supply to UPS (doesn't matter which first).

Does not work: First connecting batteries or power supply to UPS, then connecting the UPS to the Odroid.

In the latter case the Odroid won't boot, even if reconnecting the batteries/power supply on the UPS. If I have the Motorola lapdock connected to the Odroid via micro USB + micro HDMI, I additionally get a short glim of the red power LED on the odroid (which doesn't seem good either).

Not an electronic expert at all, but maybe the ICs on the UPS get confused about GND not getting connected first or something like that? I mean, all the common power plugs usually have the GND connection a little longer, don't they?
T_X

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid U3

Unread postby odroid » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:05 pm

Yes, your assumption is correct.
When you plug the 8pin connector to U3, the floating ground cause the high current which can shutdown the 5Volt stepup DCDC converter or protection circuit in the battery pack.
So we recommend to use the a DC-plug cabel which comes with UPS package.
Or Assemble the UPS on U3 first and connect the battery/power to UPS.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Return to UPS