Disable Wifi on Smartpower2?

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Disable Wifi on Smartpower2?

Unread postby dbdbdb » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:46 pm

Hello,

I think I understand that SmartPower2 requires some setup before you can use Wifi. If you don't perform that setup, will the Wifi transmitter still be on (will the transmitter receive power and be sending signals looking for networks but not connecting)?

I am thinking I'd like to buy this to use as a simple switch for my Cloudshell2 so I don't have to unplug and plug cables to get the thing to turn on, but with all the wifi garbage I have in my office, and the paranoid soul that I have become about damage to the body (no, I'm not crazy, and I don't wear tin foil on my head - or anywhere else). I just tend to prefer solutions that doesn't increase potential for harm. So please contain your right to criticize my craziness and let me know if you don't use Wifi on the SmartPower2, is there a way to keep the wifi completely off?

DB
dbdbdb

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: xu4, c2, cloudshell2

Re: Disable Wifi on Smartpower2?

Unread postby odroid » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:02 pm

If you don't connect to the Smartpower2 via WiFi, there should be no continuous RF transmission from Smartpower2.
Is there any AP station in your room or office?
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby dbdbdb » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:32 am

Hi Odroid,

I do not have a AP in my office location. My router is three rooms away, and my nearest AP when I do plug it in, is in the hallway.

So to confirm my understanding, don't connect to wifi, and the it will not transmit/receive any signals until I do? Does that mean it still receives power? Does that mean it doesn't ping for available wifi networks just in case? For intents and purposes, wifi is dead (no power) until I do something with it? I wasn't sure when you said "no continuous" meaning it still has some...

If not, is there a command I can give in the OS to turn off the wifi device?

thanks,

DB
dbdbdb

Unread postby odroid » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:57 am

I see.

Can you build the firmware with the following instruction?
https://wiki.odroid.com/accessory/power ... d_firmware
If yes, we will let you know which source code should be modified to turn the wifi RF block off completely.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby dbdbdb » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:05 am

@odroid,

Yes, I believe I can do those items. I have to order SmartPower first. Just wanted to make sure I can shutoff the wifi completely. I just want the manual switch (button) so I can turn on/off the unit without having to plug/unplug the power all of the time.

Perhaps I should ask, do you see that as the best way to do that? Is there another physical interface you might recommend for that function?

thanks,

DB
dbdbdb

Unread postby odroid » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:03 am

Why don't you buy other cheap power supply unit which has no wireless connectivity?
SmartPower2 was designed for who need to monitor/control the power status via WiFi connection.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby dbdbdb » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:09 am

...tried to delete this post, and move to a reply/quote for odroid, but can't seem to find delete, so edited and put this message, sorry ...
Last edited by dbdbdb on Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
dbdbdb

Unread postby dbdbdb » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:41 am

odroid wrote:Why don't you buy other cheap power supply unit which has no wireless connectivity?
SmartPower2 was designed for who need to monitor/control the power status via WiFi connection.

@odroid - that would be easier, but I've been having trouble finding a ready-out-of-the-box solution. Any suggestions?

[edit/update: by ready-out-of-the-box solution, I mean plug in and go. I thought about putting a switch on the power cord (taping one of the wires and slap a switch on it). I want to avoid plugging and unplugging power to the CS2 unit. I could do a wemo device, but don't want to access my phone to turn the thing on.

I don't need my CS2 running all the time. I use it as a share between my two main machines that houses documents, pictures, videos. I had been using an external WD Passport 4TB drive to keep the two in sync, but occasionally, because of some of the docs I work on, syncing becomes labor intensive and a merge is required which doesn't always work well. My two machines are a gaming rig and a Gigabyte Brix. I use the Brix for all day, check email, surf Internet low power usage, make/read docs, and save the gaming rig for powerful needs stuff (picture/video editing and gaming).]

thanks,

DB
dbdbdb

Unread postby odroid » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:49 am

CS2 needs 15V/4A power supply while the SmartPower2 output is limited at 5.3Volt/5A.
Please check the specification of SmartPower2 product page (very bottom side)
https://www.hardkernel.com/main/product ... 8048570542

I think the CS2 power consumption should be very low in idle mode.
You can also disable the LCD display to lower power consumption too.
https://wiki.odroid.com/accessory/add-o ... he_example
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby dbdbdb » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:45 pm

odroid wrote:CS2 needs 15V/4A power supply while the SmartPower2 output is limited at 5.3Volt/5A.
Please check the specification of SmartPower2 product page (very bottom side)
https://www.hardkernel.com/main/product ... 8048570542

----
Oh, I misread the input as 15v/4A, not the output... Thanks for setting me straight on that.

I think the CS2 power consumption should be very low in idle mode.
You can also disable the LCD display to lower power consumption too.
https://wiki.odroid.com/accessory/add-o ... he_example

----
Not so much about the power as I don't want the drives running all the time.

thanks again,

DB
dbdbdb

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:42 pm

You can try a sonoff basic before the CS psu. You can toggle it with its button, it's rated for 220V/10A, cheap ($5), you can manage it over wifi and best of all - you can flash it with an open source firmware. I described it in july's odroid magazine, but for a different purpose
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby dbdbdb » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:15 pm

mad_ady wrote:You can try a sonoff basic before the CS psu. You can toggle it with its button, it's rated for 220V/10A, cheap ($5), you can manage it over wifi and best of all - you can flash it with an open source firmware. I described it in july's odroid magazine, but for a different purpose

Hello :)
thanks - this was an awesome build you did. Got me ideas for switching out my wemos... However, for this project, I'm looking for non-wifi simple on/off switch. The PSU brick is too far away to put a convenient switch on it - I could splice into the 3 pin power wire, and run a wife of just the hot or neutral to a switch on my desk with which I can interrupt AC easily that way, but it would be ugly. I was hoping to find a simple enough switch - something ready out-of-the-box (or close to it) as I am not the best solderer.

I just want a way to simply turn the CS2 on with the added switch, turn it off (shutdown) via the OS without having to pull the power adapter out of the CS2 each time and put it back in to turn it on. I can just hit the switch (to effectively remove/insert the power barrel connector.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond though.

DB
dbdbdb

Unread postby mad_ady » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:11 pm

Non wifi means you have to run wires to the actual switch.
You could also get a cheap RF (433MHz) switch which has a simple RF remote you can keep on your desk.
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby dbdbdb » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:02 am

mad_ady wrote:Non wifi means you have to run wires to the actual switch.
You could also get a cheap RF (433MHz) switch which has a simple RF remote you can keep on your desk.

Thanks. I guess I'll just wire an inline switch to the 3 wire and operate it there.

DB
dbdbdb

Return to Smart Power