Stack-able micro computers

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby trohn_javolta » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:00 pm

odroid wrote:
golgoth wrote:Hello Odroid,
have the HC2 production been launched as planned?


Nope. the schedule is pushed to January due to some raw material lead time issues.
Sorry about that.


Is there any newsletter I could sign up to that informs me once the HC2 is avaiable? That would be awesome.
trohn_javolta
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:16 am
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: none (plans for XU4)

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby thatfluxnerd » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:54 am

odroid wrote:
golgoth wrote:Hello Odroid,
have the HC2 production been launched as planned?


Nope. the schedule is pushed to January due to some raw material lead time issues.
Sorry about that.


Is there an estimated price for the HC2? Also, will a 12V 2A power brick suffice?
thatfluxnerd
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:50 am
languages_spoken: english

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby PigLover » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:39 am

Can you supply the stacking parts from the MC-1 (plastic strips, screws and fan) separately? Or at least provide specs so to buy them directly? Would be nice to stack 4 HC-1s the same way. The MC-1 runs cool even with load, but a moderate lode on the HC-1 quickly gets to temps in the high 80s - it needs a fan.
PigLover
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:55 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2, XU4, HC1, MC1

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby odroid » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:43 pm

We have no plan to sell the stacking parts separately. sorry about that.

Refer the specification of the fan and screws.
* 92x92x25mm 5Volt/2000RPM low noise cooling fan with a USB power cable.
* M3 x 8mm self-tapping screws
The plastic strips were made of 2mm thick acrylic material.
User avatar
odroid
Site Admin
 
Posts: 26470
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby Butterfly » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:16 pm

Are there any informations about the HC2 or HC1+? Will it be for one or two disks (raid)?
Butterfly
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:12 pm
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: XU4

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby mad_ady » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:27 pm

I think both will be for one disk. I expect HC2 to be launched by the end of january, but I don't know HK's production schedule. If you need two disks, then cloudshell 2 is for you
User avatar
mad_ady
 
Posts: 3242
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
Location: Bucharest, Romania
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby Butterfly » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:48 pm

Thank you mad_ady. The Cloudshell 2 is great but is is also very big, I do not need a display. I like the idea of the HC1, it is small, silent and needs not too much power. I am thinking of about two HC1 with a software raid 1 over network, or using rsync to backup all files every week.

Wha I want is an secure encrypted and energy efficient NAS to save pictues, videos, make home dir backups, .... Raid 1 by Hardware would good for that. At the moment I am waiting for the release of HC1+ or HC2. I want to place it inside a 19" Rack, the cloudshell is to high for that it would use too much space inside the rack.
Butterfly
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:12 pm
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: XU4

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby elatllat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:20 pm

Butterfly wrote:...secure encrypted and energy efficient NAS to save pictues, videos, make home dir backups, .... Raid 1 by Hardware would good for that. At the moment I am waiting for the release of HC1+ or HC2. I want to place it inside a 19" Rack, the cloudshell is to high for that it would use too much space inside the rack.

RAID is not a backup, you should rsync off site for a backup.
A XU4 and a few usb drives will fit.
Be aware of the crypo speed.
elatllat
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:54 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, N1

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby Butterfly » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:42 am

I know that RAID 1 is not a backup. My backup is an external USB 3.0 drive. Raid 1 is good to have also all new data on a second disk, that a hardware problem of one disk will not destroy the newest data. The USB Backup disk is normally not in the same building with the NAS system.

I want to try to make a NAS with LUKS encryption. The 20MB/s would be enough for the beginning. I hope that there are kernel modules in the future available that support multi threading for the LUKS encryption.

One idea of me is to use two HC1. Two options:
- RAID 1 over network
- One is master the second one is a backup device, that makes an rsync every day

One other idea is to use one HC1, the backup disk is attached via the USB port. Sadly it is only USB 2.0 and there is no free USB port left than.

So I am waiting for the HC1+ / HC2 to see what is different. A 3.5" disk would be good to build a NAS with more than 5TB. Otherwise 2.5" disk with the HC1 are very energy efficient. :)
Butterfly
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:12 pm
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: XU4

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:27 am

For a distributed filesystem with redundancy read the glusterfs articles in the past two odroid magazine issues.

The HC2 is bigger/bulky-er than the HC1 because its metal frame goes around the 3.5" disk. But it can dissipate more heat.
User avatar
mad_ady
 
Posts: 3242
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
Location: Bucharest, Romania
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2

HPCC Systems on HC-1 (was: Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby brianb644 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:37 pm

Just a quick note to say that I stumbled across the HC-1 last month and was really excited about its potential to be used as workers in an HPCC Systems big data processing cluster. (https://hpccsystems.com/). The Gigabit LAN, local SSD, low-power, faster ARMs, with more memory than similar lowest price units might make it viable for this type or application.

I ordered a couple HC1 units and paired each of them with a 128GB SSD dirve. With a few hurdles, I was able to compile the HPCC Systems software and have a running system with 16 slaves. A standard test I run is to analyse web log data to calculate which sequences of 3 pages (aka trios) are the most commonly visited. Though it took a while, the system had no problem calculating the top ten trios from a data set of 10 billion page visits.

The system runs stably, but isn't ready for serious benchmarking yet. The software is highly threaded, and there appears to be an issue with the futex() system call "appearing to do a busy wait". As a result, instead of the software running near 100% user time ... more than 50% of the time repored is system time (mostly running futex() calls). I'll post separately concerning that issue ... though I'm open to suggestions concerning which topic would be the most effective.
brianb644
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:59 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: HC1

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby mad_ady » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Try running your program on the big cores so that threads running on the big cores don't have to wait for resources stuck on the little cores. Use cgroups or taskset to do it.
User avatar
mad_ady
 
Posts: 3242
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
Location: Bucharest, Romania
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby golgoth » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:15 pm

odroid wrote:
golgoth wrote:Hello Odroid,
have the HC2 production been launched as planned?


Nope. the schedule is pushed to January due to some raw material lead time issues.
Sorry about that.


Hey Odroid,
has the raw material lead time issues bee solved or should i buy some C2 with my january budget?

keep up the good work :)
golgoth
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:02 am
languages_spoken: english

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby mad_ady » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:28 pm

I think HC2 will be announced (and ready for sale) starting with the end of this week or next week. I think @odroid mentioned this somewhere on the forum.
User avatar
mad_ady
 
Posts: 3242
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
Location: Bucharest, Romania
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2


Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby rooted » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:01 pm

Very nice, the 3.5" capability will surely be popular.
User avatar
rooted
 
Posts: 4085
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am
Location: Gulf of Mexico, US
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby trohn_javolta » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:24 pm



Great news, can you tell me if these products are shipped to the german distributors? If yes, when?
I wanna buy it from pollin.de.
trohn_javolta
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:16 am
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: none (plans for XU4)

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby odroid » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:36 am

trohn_javolta wrote:Great news, can you tell me if these products are shipped to the german distributors? If yes, when?
I wanna buy it from pollin.de.


Please contact Pollin to get a more accurate answer.
User avatar
odroid
Site Admin
 
Posts: 26470
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby trohn_javolta » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:44 pm

odroid wrote:
trohn_javolta wrote:Great news, can you tell me if these products are shipped to the german distributors? If yes, when?
I wanna buy it from pollin.de.


Please contact Pollin to get a more accurate answer.


I did, but did not get a reply from them. That's why I asked here. I figured if you will/have ship(ped) units to them they'll put it in their assortment.
trohn_javolta
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:16 am
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: none (plans for XU4)

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby Jojo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:48 pm

trohn_javolta wrote:
odroid wrote:Please contact Pollin to get a more accurate answer.

I did, but did not get a reply from them. That's why I asked here. I figured if you will/have ship(ped) units to them they'll put it in their assortment.


Yeah, sometimes it can be hard to get support from Pollin. I wrote them three times to get an information about the availability schedule of the VU8C: the first two times with no reaction at all, the third time I told them that their support su*ks and that I gonna buy it elsewhere. After this third mail, I got answer on the same day :roll: . They told me that they did not receive my first two messages... ridiculous.
What worked for me was to send my message to Pollin from within the "Verbesserungsvorschlag" category, while "Fragen zur Buchhaltung" seems not work at all.
How to ask questions the smart way:
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Jojo
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 12:13 am
Location: Germany
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, HC1, VU8C

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby trohn_javolta » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:09 pm

Jojo wrote:
trohn_javolta wrote:
odroid wrote:Please contact Pollin to get a more accurate answer.

I did, but did not get a reply from them. That's why I asked here. I figured if you will/have ship(ped) units to them they'll put it in their assortment.


Yeah, sometimes it can be hard to get support from Pollin. I wrote them three times to get an information about the availability schedule of the VU8C: the first two times with no reaction at all, the third time I told them that their support su*ks and that I gonna buy it elsewhere. After this third mail, I got answer on the same day :roll: . They told me that they did not receive my first two messages... ridiculous.
What worked for me was to send my message to Pollin from within the "Verbesserungsvorschlag" category, while "Fragen zur Buchhaltung" seems not work at all.


I sent an email directly to service@pollin.de. Thx, I'm gonna try send the message within this category.

I see the touch display is avaiable now. Do you recall how long it took from hardkernel product release to avaiability on pollin?
trohn_javolta
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:16 am
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: none (plans for XU4)

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby Jojo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:57 pm

@trohn_javolta:
I propose that you send me a PM, because this is gonna be too much off-topic.
How to ask questions the smart way:
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Jojo
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 12:13 am
Location: Germany
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, HC1, VU8C

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby odroid » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:37 am

I've checked with our sales division and Pollin already ordered HC2 products.
But we have no idea when they start to sell.
User avatar
odroid
Site Admin
 
Posts: 26470
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby Jojo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:07 pm

@odroid
Ok, thanks! We asked that to Pollin as well, but the information is actually not clear. But at least they are aware of the new product, so we can be sure, that it well be available sooner or later ;)
How to ask questions the smart way:
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Jojo
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 12:13 am
Location: Germany
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, HC1, VU8C

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby campbell » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:46 am

I don't know if this has been asked, but why are these and other new products based on the XU3/XU4 rather than the C2?
campbell
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:13 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU3, XU4, C2, C1+, Cloudshell, Smart Power

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby memeka » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:25 am

campbell wrote:I don't know if this has been asked, but why are these and other new products based on the XU3/XU4 rather than the C2?

because XU3/XU4 has a USB3 interface which allows a SATA connection, C2 does not.
also XU3/4's CPU is more powerful, and the GPU is more powerful too.
User avatar
memeka
 
Posts: 3856
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 10:22 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby PigLover » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:06 am

memeka wrote:
campbell wrote:I don't know if this has been asked, but why are these and other new products based on the XU3/XU4 rather than the C2?

because XU3/XU4 has a USB3 interface which allows a SATA connection, C2 does not.
also XU3/4's CPU is more powerful, and the GPU is more powerful too.

Add to that - the XU4 has better kernel level software software support from the chip vendor. Clustering platforms like Docker Swarm and Kubernetes play better with mainline kernel, which is not generally available on c2 (at least not available in a stable form).

One advantage to the C2 is its ARM64 architecture. While 64-bit isn't all that important in a small soc with small memory footprint, there are some important software packages whose 32-bit versions are fairly hobbled (like MongoDB) and a growing set that are not even being built with 32-bit binary distributions anymore.
PigLover
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:55 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2, XU4, HC1, MC1

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby Jojo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:11 pm

Jojo wrote:@odroid
Ok, thanks! We asked that to Pollin as well, but the information is actually not clear. But at least they are aware of the new product, so we can be sure, that it well be available sooner or later ;)


I got answer from Pollin: the HC2 will be available there in ~3 weeks.

Greetings
How to ask questions the smart way:
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Jojo
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 12:13 am
Location: Germany
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, HC1, VU8C

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby campbell » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:47 am

PigLover wrote:Clustering platforms like Docker Swarm and Kubernetes play better with mainline kernel, which is not generally available on c2 (at least not available in a stable form).

It's stable for headless usage, which definitely applies to this sort of product.
campbell
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:13 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU3, XU4, C2, C1+, Cloudshell, Smart Power

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby Jojo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:40 pm

Hello,

the HC2 is now available at Pollin in Germany:
https://www.pollin.de/p/odroid-hc2-einp ... gen-810851

Greetings
How to ask questions the smart way:
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Jojo
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 12:13 am
Location: Germany
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, HC1, VU8C

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby tkaiser » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:47 pm

Jojo wrote:the HC2 is now available at Pollin in Germany:
https://www.pollin.de/p/odroid-hc2-einp ... gen-810851


Let's hope the PSU they recommend https://www.pollin.de/p/tischnetzteil-1 ... hc2-810853 is as stable with 2.5A consumption peaks like Hardkernel's own '2A' 12V PSU...
tkaiser
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:30 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1+, C2, XU4, HC1

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby odroid » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:10 pm

It is the same PSU what we've tested. :)
User avatar
odroid
Site Admin
 
Posts: 26470
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Stack-able micro computers

Unread postby trohn_javolta » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:14 pm

tkaiser wrote:
Jojo wrote:the HC2 is now available at Pollin in Germany:
https://www.pollin.de/p/odroid-hc2-einp ... gen-810851


Let's hope the PSU they recommend https://www.pollin.de/p/tischnetzteil-1 ... hc2-810853 is as stable with 2.5A consumption peaks like Hardkernel's own '2A' 12V PSU...


I hope my universal psu can handle that: http://www.ansmann.de/produkte/ladegera ... aps-2250-l
I overread the mentioning of the 2.5A peaks and since odroid recommends a 2A psu and mine puts out 2,25A I thought it's fine.
trohn_javolta
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:16 am
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: none (plans for XU4)

Previous

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest