What Will Happen to teh U3

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

What Will Happen to teh U3

Unread postby HiDeHo » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:01 am

I have a U3 running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS I have not used in some time. I was reading some posts on the U3 today and this got me thi9nking. What will happend to the U3 in the future?

1. I see that as the odroid team have many projects and are focusing more on their other devices. the U3, while still a good little device, is no longer one of the main devices maintained by odroid. It will fall slowly behind till it gets little/no official support and becomes End Of Life (EOL).
2. The next thing, Like the Raspbery Pi devices, Will the user community take over and continue to develop the platform and keep the U3 alive. it is a real shame that Ubuntu does not provide more support for any Arm devices. as i understand things the U3 has a fairly standard arm cpu, ubuntu does not have the same amount of apps available for arm and some that are there have issues. eg chromium. this is such a shame as Arm devices have become very popular these days.
3. It is a shame there is no easy way to dual boot the U3 so users can run more than one os. I tried this using instructions on the forums and it failed.

Looking to the future what will become of the U3 will the user community step up and keep supporting this device. What do you all think, please share.
I appreciate all who take the time to contribute to improve and help make things better for all.
HiDeHo

languages_spoken: english

Re: What Will Happen to the U3

Unread postby meveric » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:51 pm

You seem to have been away for a very long time.
The U3 was discontinued over a year ago: http://com.odroid.com/sigong/blog/blog_list.php?bid=180
It's still around and some support is still given. Even new Software is still coming out

HiDeHo wrote:I have a U3 running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS I have not used in some time. I was reading some posts on the U3 today and this got me thi9nking. What will happend to the U3 in the future?

1. I see that as the odroid team have many projects and are focusing more on their other devices. the U3, while still a good little device, is no longer one of the main devices maintained by odroid. It will fall slowly behind till it gets little/no official support and becomes End Of Life (EOL).

The U3 is already a EOL product. Still a few new things getting released. Recently there was an new Ubuntu 16.04. image from HardKernel for the U2/U3 as well as the X2.
I personally maintain two images based on Debian Jessie which I add new software quite often to and they run fine on the U3.
The Kernel 3.8 is no longer maintained and has reached its EOL quite some time ago. So if you're hoping for new "official" hardware support and Kernel updates, that's not gonna happen.
HiDeHo wrote:2. The next thing, Like the Raspbery Pi devices, Will the user community take over and continue to develop the platform and keep the U3 alive. it is a real shame that Ubuntu does not provide more support for any Arm devices. as i understand things the U3 has a fairly standard arm cpu, ubuntu does not have the same amount of apps available for arm and some that are there have issues. eg chromium. this is such a shame as Arm devices have become very popular these days.

Even before EOL some community members took over to update the Exynos 4 devices and bringing modern drivers (Kernel) to the device LiquidAcid is one of the user (if not THE user) that is pushing mainline Kernel support for the Exynos 4 boards. And does a great job. The X2 was one of the first boards to have 4.x Kernel support.
As I said earlier, new software is provided quite often. ARM software is not limited to a certain device or a Kernel. 99.9% of the software coming out for other armhf devices will run just fine on the U2/U3 as well.
I do it everyday and run these different softwares across multiple ODROIDs.
Chromium is working fine btw. on ODROIDs. I personally just built Chromium 53 for all ODROIDs (including U2/U3) just about two weeks ago: viewtopic.php?p=160769#p160769
And it's the only browser currently that offers hardware accelerated browsing.
HiDeHo wrote:3. It is a shame there is no easy way to dual boot the U3 so users can run more than one os. I tried this using instructions on the forums and it failed.

Maybe it's not an easy way, but it's working many users do it, so it's doable.

HiDeHo wrote:Looking to the future what will become of the U3 will the user community step up and keep supporting this device. What do you all think, please share.

In the end the U3 will die. The hardware was great when it came out and it still beats most of the other boards available. But the GPU is not the fastest, the SD port is very slow and so is the network.
It's missing GPIOs and other features other boards offer. It only supports 1080p H264 up to 30FPS. Other boards are long past these limitations and in the end (although still an awesome device) the U3 will die.
The support currently is already minimal compared to other boards. But considering it's no longer produced and sold for over a year that still remarkable.
Still, get used to the idea that the newest software and hardware available will no longer work on the U3.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Return to General Chat