Odroid U3:- needing soem ideas:- what ido you use yours for?

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Odroid U3:- needing soem ideas:- what ido you use yours for?

Unread postby HiDeHo » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:36 am

Hi I have an odroid U3 currently running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS version.
I have not used it in a while and was wondering what i could use if for.
1. Bitcolin Mining: is this easy to set up and worth doing
2: Dedicated media server: is this easy to set up. My tv/blueray player already has youtube and netflix built in which i use. what other uses can i do with an odroid media server.
3. Dual boot: To run ubuntu and Android simply and easily without changing sd card etc.

also if you have an odroid U3 what do you use it for.
I appreciate all who take the time to contribute to improve and help make things better for all.
HiDeHo

languages_spoken: english

Re: Odroid U3:- needing soem ideas:- what ido you use yours

Unread postby meveric » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:03 pm

It kinda depends on what you want to do with it.
Bitcoin mining is probably rather stupid. You probably have to let it run for 1 year straight to get a single coin together, maybe even more.

Media Server is working and rather easy to set up. Just installing Kodi is all that is needed. It comes with many addons which allow to stream all kinds of shows and movies, if you know what you're looking for.
But the U3 is limited in what you can watch with it. H265 won't work and also H264 content only works up to 1080p@30.
Still it can handle Videos quite well and I used it for many years as a media server.

No clue why anyone wants Android on a TV, but hey if that's what you feel you need I guess ;)

I personally used the U3 a lot for entertainment. Playing games and watching movies: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2684
Although there are more powerful devices (such as the XU4) the U3 is quite capable and there are a lot of games (viewforum.php?f=91) that work nicely on the U3.

I also use a U3 to compile all my software on. Kernels, Games, programs, for all ODROIDs (except the C2) is being compiled on a U3 in my case.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby skare » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:05 pm

Just recently set my leftover U3 up as a controller on the touchscreen in the kitchen with Android.

Used for Calender, MusicController, HUE, Calendar, Shopping list and much more.

skare

languages_spoken: english, danish, german
ODROIDs: Odroid U3, Odroid C2

Unread postby anatife » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:56 pm

I run a few tools on my U3:
version-control (git, mercurial)
pastebin
chat server
collector for news-feeds
pi-hole
anatife