odroid u3 wasted a lot of my time...

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

odroid u3 wasted a lot of my time...

Unread postby erzich » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:58 am

The odroid u3 is a great piece of hardware but the software is outdated and crap, sorry.
Wasted so much hours and had never a clean and running system over years.
EVERY project with the raspberry pi b/b+/2 was success (~50, server and desktop) but nothing,
really nothing worked 100% for me with odroid. Every time one piece is missing or not working.
I`ll give up... :)
erzich

languages_spoken: english german
ODROIDs: ODROID U3

Re: odroid u3 wasted a lot of my time...

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:07 am

The "Software" is as current as on any other board, the KERNEL and Kernel drivers (uboot as well) is not.
But the "Software" is the same.
ODROID U3 runs Debian Jessie, same as RPis are doing, there's no difference here.

In fact, the U3 runs much better than any other ODROIDs... all the GPU stuff that is broken on the XU3/XU4/C1/C2 is working perfectly fine on the U3.
But I guess it depends on your usecase.

From what I can tell is that the Exynos 4 series is by far the best HardKernel has produced yet.

I use a U3 for 3 or 4 years by now constantly stressing the CPU by compiling software.. it's working beatifully. None of the newer models ever had such stability as the Exynos 4 series.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby erzich » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:31 am

It's nice to have a debian jessie image but the kernel is 3.8.X and not 3.16.X or higher.There is no other image with a more recent kernel. That means outdated.
erzich

Unread postby memeka » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:43 am

erzich wrote:It's nice to have a debian jessie image but the kernel is 3.8.X and not 3.16.X or higher.There is no other image with a more recent kernel. That means outdated.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=3691

kernel 4.6 is working on my U3, the only annoying thing is that reboot sometimes hangs...
memeka

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread postby meveric » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:46 am

No board from HardKernel has official Kernel 3.16 or higher support.

And "Kernel" is not neccessarily something I would consider "software of an image" in fact, the Kernel is the only thing that is NOT part of the actual image.
You use the same Kernel no matter what image you use, Arch, Ubuntu, Debian, whatever.. the image doesn't matter at all, the Kernel is always the same.

That said, there is Kernel 4.x available for ODROID U3 as well, it requires a lot of work but it's available.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby erzich » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:30 am

You use the same Kernel no matter what image you use, Arch, Ubuntu, Debian, whatever.. the image doesn't matter at all, the Kernel is always the same.

Exactly this is one of my problems with the u3, I need up to date drivers and so on. Dependencies for compiling something are another problem.
erzich

Return to General Chat