ODROID-U3 as web server ( PHP , MYSQL)

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

ODROID-U3 as web server ( PHP , MYSQL)

Unread postby abosami20000 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:29 am

Hi guys ,

First of all I want to thank you for this forums.

I'm a PHP developer , I have a web application for small market (Accounting System) , this application was develop by PHP/MYSQL ( using laravel framework).

My web application works very fine with my PC (load take 200-300ms). But there is a problem some of markets dosen't want to install this application in their computers , because they afraid of database will damage or stolen.

One month ago , I bought a raspberry pi and I installed the application in Raspberry PI, but when I open the browser from other PC and work with my web application (from local web) , it works very very slow ( the page take 2.5-3 seconds to load) .

So , I'm planning to use a ODROID-U3 as a web server for this application ( Accounting System) and max users will use this application will be 10 users , normally will be 2 users.

My question is : Is ODROID-U3 good choice for my application ?

The ODROID-U3 will works all time (24/7). Works all time. It will stay in the market for 2 years at least.

I need your experience and your opinion

my best regards

AboSami :D :D :D
abosami20000

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: not yet

Re: ODROID-U3 as web server ( PHP , MYSQL)

Unread postby memeka » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:32 am

should be OK.
memeka

ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread postby venkatbo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:11 pm

... this application was develop by PHP/MYSQL ( using laravel framework).

Have not tried mysql/laravel, but I've tried the following combinations:
. nginx/openssl/php-fpm
. lighttpd/openssl/php-fpm
They work. There is no reason why mysql/laravel also will not work, especially if the latter can be built/installed on the U3 (Cortex-A9), It is fair to expect mysql (and possibly all of the LAMP stack) to work fine.

... My web application works very fine with my PC (load take 200-300ms).

U3 may or may not take longer - most likely the former - considering it is less powerful (all else remaining the same). Testing of your app can be the only way to ascertain.

... because they afraid of database will damage or stolen.

The same fear can be attributed to many other hw/sw combos, not just PC-solutions. imo, you can make PC-solutions and U3-solutions equally robust. If anything, a soc-based hw/sw solution is so small, it is possibly easier to also physically steal it from a deployment site !

One month ago , I bought a raspberry pi and I installed the application in Raspberry PI, but when I open the browser from other PC and work with my web application (from local web) , it works very very slow ( the page take 2.5-3 seconds to load) .

This may have been expected, considering it's power. There may have been similar experiences listed online...

So , I'm planning to use a ODROID-U3 as a web server for this application ( Accounting System) and max users will use this application will be 10 users , normally will be 2 users.

Given that php-fpm works, you should be able to avail the advantages of the better scaling FPM (compared to php-cgi), on a given platform.

My question is : Is ODROID-U3 good choice for my application ?

Most likely, yes - but have to be tested on the U3 platform by you to fully ensure all aspects work fine as expected (over 2+ yrs).

The ODROID-U3 will works all time (24/7). Works all time. It will stay in the market for 2 years at least.

Have not seen longevity test results anywhere, that can fully guarantee the above requirements. After all, it is designed as a development board from all published literature and the length of warranties. There may be special h/w builds that have the warranties covering your durations. Worth a check with HK. While the U3 itself may last 2 years, it is also worthwhile to do the needed stress tests on the peripherals/basic-functionalities, such as:
fan, eMMC card, SDCard, safe log-rotations, read/write failure recoveries, remote-debugs, reboots, etc. Some are definitely in the realm of your solution design. With well-designed tests, you may be able to simulate activity of "2 years" over a period of many days. The findings will be useful in making the final call.

The best bet is to get an U3 and prove for yourself. All indications are that it can host your solution - the length of the problem-free duration is the main question - that only your tests can ascertain.
venkatbo

ODROIDs: C0/C1+/C2 U3+ XU3-Lite/XU4 VU/VU7+ Touchscreen Show TFT Cloudshell SmartPower mAHRS DAC GPS Multiscope

Unread postby Cooper » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:06 pm

The Odroid is roughly 10x faster than the Pi when it comes to CPU horsepower. For a webserver, I'd highly recommend going for eMMC storage over SD. More expensive, but the difference here is roughly similar to going from spinning disks to SSD on your PC.
In an earlier topic I tested the performance of binaries as produced by various GCC versions and in that I included the Phoronix test suite which is PHP-based so it might give you an indication of the level of performance you should expect.

In short, 10 concurrent users is something the Odroid should be able to manage without breaking a sweat.
Cooper

languages_spoken: english, dutch, some german and french if pushed
ODROIDs: Odroid-U2 + 16GB eMMC

Unread postby OverSun » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:27 pm

I'm using U2 as LAMP server.
The only problem you would have is initial delay. Everything is slightly slow initially - connection handle open, database connection, php initialization, etc. That leads to the thing that when you open a page on U2 you see "Connected, Request send, waiting for reply" for a couple of seconds and then it loads very quickly.
You can mitigate this if you move everything to RAM using something like memcached or similar techniques, 2Gb should be enough for this task.
And, of course it will not handle more than 10 simultaneous users, it will just choke.

You can check what I'm talking about by visiting http://www.oversun.jp/ it is on U2. It's wordpress, so PHP-MySQL, but it is nearly default installation, so nothing inside.
OverSun

Unread postby abosami20000 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:14 am

Thank venkatbo , OverSun , Cooper , memeka , I don't know how can I thank you for these perfect opinions.

I will purchase it and I will post a subject about my test.

^_^
abosami20000

ODROIDs: not yet

Unread postby oscararmandolozano » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:57 am

Hello,

I make this manual step-by-step to install Laravel on Odroid XU4. I believe it can works on U3. :)

http://arquitecturatioscarlozano.blogsp ... -mate.html
oscararmandolozano

languages_spoken: english spanish
ODROIDs: XU4

Return to General Chat