U3+: no HDMI Audio device

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

U3+: no HDMI Audio device

Unread postby meden » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:39 pm

Hello, I've got a problem I cannot sort out by myself, despite having tried really hard: HDMI audio device is not present, in /proc/asound/cards only built-in audio is listed.

My system:
  • HardKernel 3.8 kernel (same issue with vanilla 4.14.15)
  • Debian Stretch (upgraded from Jessie)
  • Pulseaudio 10 and Kodi Kripton from Debian (don't think it matters, here)
I tried to:
  • Use different boot.scrs
  • Change HDMI port
  • Connect directly to TV vs. through AVR (Onkyo HT-S3800 -> I need HDMI pass-though...)
  • Buy new HDMI cable
  • Re-enable HDMI EDID in TV through service menu (Samsung UE32EH5300)
  • Search a solution over internet (starting here)
Still, no HDMI audio device.
Strange thing: it worked in the past (when I did not needed it), although not in a consistent way.
Stranger thing: it worked recently even if no HDMI audio was available! I guess that clearing .config/pulse directory made me lost this opportunity. BTW, even so it was not possible to configure passthrough, the device not being present in sound configuration panel.

Any advice? Thanks!
meden

languages_spoken: italian, english, spanish
ODROIDs: U3+

Re: U3+: no HDMI Audio device

Unread postby meden » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:29 am

Update: also tested with a clean install (meveric's jessie minimal image booting from SD) and still no luck: aplay -l keeps giving only:
Code: Select all
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
shared memfd open() failed: Funzione non implementata
card 0: Audio [Built-in Audio], device 0: Playback HiFi-0 []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Audio [Built-in Audio], device 1: Capture HiFi-1 []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
meden

Unread postby odroid » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:13 am

HDMI sound worked with this image out of the box.
https://odroid.in/ubuntu_16.04lts/ubunt ... 920.img.xz
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby meveric » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:24 am

there is no separated "HDMI" device on the U3. It's just the default audio device. HDMI output should work nonetheless even if you don't find a device that is called "HDMI".
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby meden » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:38 pm

Thanks for your replies, and sorry for the late mine.

meveric wrote:there is no separated "HDMI" device on the U3. It's just the default audio device. HDMI output should work nonetheless even if you don't find a device that is called "HDMI".

But if there is no device, how can I configure it as the default one and enable passthrough in Pulseaudio? Still, Kodi 17 (from Debian) reports no HDMI passthrough capabilities.

BTW, I'll try the Ubuntu image ASAP, and if it works I'll try to figure what are the differences with my current installation.
meden

Unread postby meveric » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:56 am

meden wrote:But if there is no device, how can I configure it as the default one

If there's only one device there is also only one possibility and with that only ONE "default".

meden wrote:and enable passthrough in Pulseaudio? Still, Kodi 17 (from Debian) reports no HDMI passthrough capabilities.

I'm not sure if the U3 actually supports passthrough.. there was always a discussion if it's possible or not.
I don't think it is possible at all.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby meden » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:30 am

meveric wrote:
meden wrote:But if there is no device, how can I configure it as the default one

If there's only one device there is also only one possibility and with that only ONE "default".

Well, I see two devices here: one for playback and one for capture. I'd expect to see also a device 3 like HDMI , but it seems the kernel driver does not register it.
Code: Select all
card 0: Audio [Built-in Audio], device 0: Playback HiFi-0
card 0: Audio [Built-in Audio], device 1: Capture HiFi-1

BTW, I found that disabling Pulseaudio (10.0) I get sound through HDMI. Still no luck with passthrough, Kodi does not offer to configure it. That likely means that the U3 is not suitable to be connected to an AVR to make a proper media center.

I still cannot understand how the sound goes through HDMI despite the fact that ALSA does not see anythig such that at all.
meden

Return to Issues