after upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie my U3 is inaccessible

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

after upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie my U3 is inaccessible

Unread postby jcdenton12 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:28 pm

Hello everyone,
I have my Odroid U3 for over 3 years and it has been running Debian Wheezy ever since
Yesterday I decided to upgrade to Jessie because I needed newer python3 package

here are the steps I did
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo sed -i /deb/s/wheezy/jessie/g /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

after the upgrade completed I issued the command to reboot the Odroid
sudo shutdown -r now

and ever since I cannot access the device

previously it was configured with static IP address of 10.11.12.254/254 and it had services like Samba/HTTP/OpenVPN/SSH/RDP/... running

now if I reboot it I can see that after a few seconds [<1 minute] the BLUE Heartbeat LED is flashing twice every ~2 seconds which should mean that the kernel is running

in fact, I can ping the IP address assigned to Odroid and get successful response which should indicate that it booted the kernel and even read some configuration files

however when I try to SSH into the device I receive
The remote system refused the connection.

I did the packet capture and I can see that my PC sends TCP SYN and Odroid responds TCP RST ACK
The same happens when I try to access it via RemoteDesktop [RDP] or HTTP

since I have the image setup I would prefer to restore access and continue using it instead of installing fresh Jessie and setting it from scratch again

is there a way to rescue this beauty?

- I ASSUME that since it boots kernel it should print something via HDMI if connected to the screen, correct?
- Are there any persistent logs written to SD Card that would reveal why SSH [or any other kind of access] is being rejected that I could read via cardreader?
- Would there be a way to change some config files on the SD Card via cardreader to enable SSH access in this Jessie upgraded image?
- or the only way is to order uart console and see what is going on?

Your help is appreciated

Thanks a lot in advance
jcdenton12

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid-U3

Re: after upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie my U3 is inaccessibl

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:19 pm

Debian Jessie changed security policies, root is no longer allowed to login via SSH with PASSWORD, by default.
It would work if you had a SSH certificate and use that certificate to log in.
Any other user should still be able to log in via password.

You can change this by altering /etc/ssh/sshd_config and changing the line:
PermitRootLogin without-password
either by out-commenting or setting the value to "yes"

Please note, that from Debian Wheezy to Jessie the OS was switched from sysv-init to systemd, and not every program might react as you are used to.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby jcdenton12 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:31 pm

Thank you for your reply meveric,
when going through the upgrade I was prompted for PermitRootLogin without-password option and I answered YES

I am wondering if I take Debian Jessie image and copy the files to SD Card, whether it would be enough or not?
/etc/init/ssh.conf
/etc/init.d/ssh
/etc/ssh/*

What I would like to achieve is to restore SSH settings to default so that I can access the device via SSH again

please let me know if such task is feasible or not and if yes, whether I would need any other files copied over

thanks for your reply in advance
jcdenton12

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid-U3

Unread postby meveric » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:11 pm

Didn't you say you have a card reader that you can use?
You only need to edit the file I said, then put the SD card back in the ODROID and start it again. Nothing else needs to be done.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Return to Issues