help plz forget root ODROID U3+ debian gnu linux 7 wheezy

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

help plz forget root ODROID U3+ debian gnu linux 7 wheezy

Unread postby Jawad.Jammal » Tue May 09, 2017 3:53 pm

Dears;

i have ODROID-U3+ has debian gnu linux 7.9 wheezy installed on 12 G.B eMMC
i lost the root password and can't do anything to configure the system.
is there anyway to boot from any device (SD-CARD , USB CD or USB storage) in-order to change root password.
i tried many of tutorials in internet but nothing works.
also trying to get in Linux GRUB mode (recovery mode) pressing SHIFT ESC functions keys when system starting also not working .

please help me ODROID supports and experts i need to change the system IP Address ASAP .

regards;
Jawad.Jammal

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID U3+

Re: help plz forget root ODROID U3+ debian gnu linux 7 wheez

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 09, 2017 3:57 pm

put the eMMC in a SD card reader on a Linux PC (or MAC or whatever you can edit Linux files with^^)
and edit the file /etc/shadow -> ON YOUR ODROID eMMC (not your PC^^)
the first entry should be for root. replace it with the following:
Code: Select all
root:$6$b.EcdP/0$kjREx.EErYcdd4u7O8VBviWITNTP2gKzufLap1HblhbaX.qwnMPP/g7XhJqP/3TG9kKcGvWsw3tL7BXl2UeuM1:15878:0:99999:7:::

save the file and boot back up your ODROID the new password for root will be "odroid" (without quotes).

Besides... Debian Wheezy is no longer maintained. Currently Debian Jessie is stable and Debian Stretch is around the corner, so your OS is two versions behind and doesn't really get any updates anymore. You should consider updating your OS.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby Jawad.Jammal » Tue May 09, 2017 5:19 pm

thank you meveric,

but how to put that card on SD Card reader it's required an converter that is not available in my local market.
is there any other way to read that eMMC Card such as mini-USB connection ...
Jawad.Jammal

ODROIDs: ODROID U3+

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 09, 2017 9:33 pm

Your eMMC should have come with a eMMC to microSD adapter, without it you won't be able to access the eMMC.
You may try to flash a new image on a SD card boot from the SD card and connect the eMMC and then see if you can access it, but I'm not sure if this works.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat May 13, 2017 3:25 am

You don't need to know the root password if you know an account with sudo rights! See if sudo allows you (or the odroid user) to become root and then change the password.
Alternatively you should look for a badly protected file - like an init script that is world writable and change your password from there
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2

Return to Issues