BMW E82 - Car Installation

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

BMW E82 - Car Installation

Unread postby Mugga » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:57 pm

Hey guys,

this is a project I've been working for quite a long time. Because I got no navigation system in my car and I also got no music via usb option, I decided to built my own solution. I would really prefer the bmw solution, but it is quite expensive. Funny thing is, that with all the different approaches I tried and the money I invested in different things, I think I could already do a real bmw installation :roll:

At first I started with a Nexus 7 installation together with timurs almighty rom. That solution already worked quite well, but I had a hard time with the battery charge and there is also the high temperature in the summer, which hurts the battery. So I removed the battery from the nexus to power it directly, sadly the booting time was very high.

Randomly I discovered the odroid and tought that it would be a great solution for all my problems. Sadly I had to realize that the odroid together with android is still very buggy, and far away from being perfect. With the upgrade to the odroid I decided to get a bigger screen, so I bought a 9" display with a controller board which supports reverse camera signal input. This way I could use my reversing camera, without relying on the odroid. So even when the odroid is still booting, the reverse camera works.

The centerpiece of my installation is and arduino together with a can-bus shield. The arduino is directly connected to the K-CAN bus of my BMW. This way I can get quite all the information I want. The arduino is reading the information and is sending them via bluetooth to the odroid or any other device with android installed. For working with the messages I developed my own car interface app. This way I can for example use all the steering wheel control as an input device for the odroid, and also showing data like the speed, torque, horsepower, engine temperature. And everything without using an extra can-bus adapter.

Here's a video where you can see the installation in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmHhlkP ... PhOwf6FXOA

So far I'm quite happy with the installation. The last really big issue I have to get rid of is the booting time. Before I can fully use the odroid it takes about 30-40 seconds. I really hope I can modify the kernel to make it boot faster. I wonder how all the android radio manufactures encouter that problem, because there devices are starting much faster.
Hardware:
Odroid U3 @ CM-11.0 for U3 2014-08-18 Alpha 0.0003
Mugga

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID U3

Re: BMW E82 - Car Installation

Unread postby mdrjr » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:02 am

If its easy for your access....

UART log if you have the uart kit or after boot dmesg + logcat.

Also.. eMMC or MicroSD ?
mdrjr
Site Admin

languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Unread postby meveric » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:20 pm

Mugga wrote:I wonder how all the android radio manufactures encouter that problem, because there devices are starting much faster.

they don't use a full Android i would presume, they don't need keyboard and mouse drivers to be loaded, probably don't need wireless or LAN drivers loaded, they don't need general support for different monitors, just the one that's really connected and and and.
So it's pretty much slimmed down.. You have a full Android and that's what's making it slow.

That's the advantage of Android over iOS, it's customizable down to the drivers and sourcecode..
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby Mugga » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:30 pm

I'm using eMMC.

Yeah, I've read some articles about boot optimization:
http://elinux.org/images/4/4c/Android-b ... 010-08.pdf

There seems to be many points to optimize. Just have to wait for voodik to come back from vacation, because I can't compile with his repo. I'm new to this whole android rom/kernel development, and hope that I will learn it quick.
Hardware:
Mugga

Unread postby Mugga » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:56 am

I managed to get a clean compile of voodik's cm11 repo. But now I'm stuck with just the different .img. I don't have a USB-UART Kit at the moment, so I can't flash the images via fastboot. Can someone tell me how to make a update.zip?
Hardware:
Mugga

Unread postby Txori82 » Fri May 08, 2015 6:57 pm

Hello Mugga,

Amazing job. I was really interested in this project because I'll like to build something similar. Your integration is perfect.

Any update in the software?

I'm really intigraten in the screen bezel. Witch one did you use?
Txori82

Unread postby Mugga » Wed May 20, 2015 4:11 am

Thx.

I haven't made much progress on the software. At the moment I'm testing other solutions, like screen mirroring. Because I wasn't satisfied with the odroid version, because its not 99% reliable and there is also the long boot time, because you sadly can't suspend the odroid.

The bezel is this one:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-E87-E81-E82-E88-Display-Halterung-Aufnahme-fur-7-Zoll-Tablet-usw-/151306108531?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item233a8bfe73
It's pretty expensive now. I got it as one of the first here in Germany because a guy in a BMW forum gave a bigger order directly in China were these are being produced.
Hardware:
Mugga

Unread postby bugmenot » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:54 pm

Hi Mugga,

Good job! I have some questions.

where I can get more information about your arduino + can-bus shield for BMW. Which can-bus do you own?
And what android app you are using for show the can-bus information.

Thanks in advance.
bugmenot

Unread postby Mugga » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:25 pm

bugmenot wrote:Hi Mugga,

Good job! I have some questions.

where I can get more information about your arduino + can-bus shield for BMW. Which can-bus do you own?
And what android app you are using for show the can-bus information.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry that I answer with a half year delay ;) . But I just gave up a long time ago with this project and gone a more or less original installation way.
Regarding the CAN-Bus you just need to google CAN + Arduino and car. There is plenty of information on the net. The exact can id's I got from a guy from England who sniffed very much of the can messages, I think the website was named "loopybunny" or something like that.

The app is like I've written in my first post, self written. So there is no downloadable app or something like this.
Hardware:
Mugga

Unread postby swa00 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:40 am

Hi together - i know, this is an old thread

And sorry for my question

Does anybody knows, which display is used in the video -

its seems to be an bigger one than 7inch , because i have the the same holder for the bmw
The visible width in the video must be arround ~ 200 mm

Thx a lot
swa00

ODROIDs: c1

Return to Projects