Nice price but it be good if they added this.

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Nice price but it be good if they added this.

Unread postby Raymond Day » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:47 pm

The Odroid-U3 I guess made about the best for the price.

If they added 2 SATA ports, USB 3.0, and Gigabit Ethernet it would be very good. But I guess cost more but not a lot more I guess.

It looks nice.

-Raymond Day
Raymond Day

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid-U2, XU4, C1+,

Re: Nice price but it be good if they added this.

Unread postby sert00 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:04 pm

sata and so on aren't there because the exynos 4412 doesn't support them.
if u2 is known not supporting,same goes for u3,having same hw.it's not a costs cause.
i think they used 4412 because users can use what already working for u2
the 3 things you sad..are one the consequence of other.with only usb 3.0,you would have both sata (with sold dock station) and gigabit (with sold adapter)
2x Odroid-U2
2x Odroid-XU-E
Odroid-U3
Odroid-C1+
Odroid-XU4
Lcd touch panel 10.1"
....and many of the goodies available....
sert00

languages_spoken: english,italian
ODROIDs: ODROID-U2*2__ODROID-U3__ODROID-XU-E__ODROID-XU-Ebeta__ODROID-C1__ODROID-XU4

Unread postby robroy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:09 pm

I think that the U3 is perfect as it is :) It has a tiny footprint, decent passive cooling, runs circles around other equivalent-cost computers such as the RPi, and is priced so low for its power that almost anyone can afford it. In the US, a Samsung Galaxy S3 retails for 5x the cost of a U3 with only a Micro USB port and no swappable eMMC module. You end up paying over $200 just for the touchscreen.

To keep the base cost low, the SATA port and Gigabit Ethernet could both be run through the USB 3.0 using the adapters that Hardkernel provides for the XU, so I agree that converting the 2 USB 2.0 ports to USB 3.0 would be a welcome addition for the next generation of the U series.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)
robroy

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

Unread postby rjss » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:40 pm

For robotic applications, including autonomous drones, what would be really usefull would be another I2C port and a UART port available on the shield. Stable positioning controls will need 10 sensor inputs for position/orientation, inertial, magnetic and barometric data. One I2C port running at 400 khz may not be enough for "real-time" control. Drone navigation is usually done with gps data input and serial communication is the common interface for these sensors.

Bob Stewart
rjss

ODROIDs: Odroid-X

Unread postby robroy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:42 pm

rjss wrote:For robotic applications, including autonomous drones, what would be really usefull would be another I2C port and a UART port available on the shield. Stable positioning controls will need 10 sensor inputs for position/orientation, inertial, magnetic and barometric data. One I2C port running at 400 khz may not be enough for "real-time" control. Drone navigation is usually done with gps data input and serial communication is the common interface for these sensors.

Bob Stewart

Isn't this what the U3 IO shield is for?
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)
robroy

ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

Unread postby rjss » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:50 pm

I'm identifying additional signals that would be added to the interface from the U3 to the shield. The shield currently has a ten pin coonector which which brings signals from/to 4412 onto it. That interface currently includes one I2C and one uart port. I'm sugesting that the shield interface be expanded to include an additional one of each which can be used by user devices that are added to the shield.

Bob Stewart
rjss

Unread postby mdrjr » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:05 am

rjss wrote:I'm identifying additional signals that would be added to the interface from the U3 to the shield. The shield currently has a ten pin coonector which which brings signals from/to 4412 onto it. That interface currently includes one I2C and one uart port. I'm sugesting that the shield interface be expanded to include an additional one of each which can be used by user devices that are added to the shield.

Bob Stewart

The i2c is used to control 16 gpio's.
The uart is used to control the arduino on it.
;)
mdrjr
Site Admin

languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Unread postby rjss » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:44 am

mdrjr wrote:
rjss wrote:I'm identifying additional signals that would be added to the interface from the U3 to the shield. The shield currently has a ten pin coonector which which brings signals from/to 4412 onto it. That interface currently includes one I2C and one uart port. I'm sugesting that the shield interface be expanded to include an additional one of each which can be used by user devices that are added to the shield.

Bob Stewart

The i2c is used to control 16 gpio's.
The uart is used to control the arduino on it.
;)[/quote

I'm aware of that.

You're missing my point. One can add devices onto the single I2C port so long as they have diferent addresses on that bus, and I intend to do that when I get one. But the bus bandwidth limits the number of sensors that can be usefully added. An additional I2C port on the shield (and there are 4 on the 4412) would make the productmore useful. If an application has a sensor with a serial interface, bringing out a UART ports tx and rx lines to the shield would be the best way to interface to it.

The real competition IMHO, to the U3 for real-time imbedded applications is TI's Beaglebone which brings most of the AM3359 I/O pins onto shield headers and one can interface through I2C, SPI, or UART channels to your hearts content! My suggestions were simply aimed at making the product better.

Bob Stewart
rjss

Unread postby odroid » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:07 pm

We could use 3-Axis Gyroscopre + 3-Axis Geo-Magnetic Field sensor + 3-Axis Accelerometer on a single I2C host of ODROID-Q/Q2.
400Khz bandwidth will not be a big problem.

But I totally agree that robotics/electronics application needs more ports as many as possible. :cry:
odroid
Site Admin

ODROIDs: ODROID

Return to Hardware and peripherals