Lubuntu 13.10 Whisper for ODROID-U2 (20140101)

robroy
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

Lubuntu 13.10 Whisper for ODROID-U2 (20140101)

Unread post by robroy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:22 am

I created a minimal Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander image, forked from the official XFCE Hard Kernel release, with a core suite of applications for an energy-efficient netbook/desktop computer optimized for speed and performance.

Download the image here:
13.10 Saucy Salamander: http://oph.mdrjr.net/robroyhall/images/ ... 101.img.xz
13.04 Raring Ringtail: http://oph.mdrjr.net/robroyhall/images/ ... 101.img.xz

European mirror by @traxo:
http://odroid.txmonitor.de/

Keep your Whisper image updated:
Kernel updates: http://builder.mdrjr.net/tools/kernel-update.sh

Username: odroid
Password: odroid

Username: root
Password: odroid

Applications: Firefox, Chromium, Xine, XBMC, Gimp, Transmission, Filezilla and Oracle JDK 8.

Autologin is enabled and boots directly to a single-user Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment (LXDE) running Xfce desktop.

If you enjoy my contributions to the Hard Kernel community, please consider donating an amount of your choice via the link in my signature.

Customizations left for you upon burning the image to your card:
  • 1. Resize the "rootfs" partition to fit your SD card. This is best done on another Linux system using the GParted utility.
    2. Set your time zone using "sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata", or press the Up arrow in the Terminal window on first boot.
    3. Set your language using Preferences -> Language Support.
Improvements and upgrades:
  • 1. To overclock to 1.92GHz, type "sudo gedit /etc/rc.local" in Terminal and remove the "#" from the beginning of the line that starts with "echo 1920000".
    2. Firefox has the IcedTea7 plugin installed for Java browser applets, and uses the built-in HTML5 player which is not compatible with Flash. Chromium has the Pepper Flash plugin installed for viewing Flash videos. Both Chromium and Firefox have the Adblock Plus add-on. The default browser is Chromium.
    3. All upgrades and updates have been run using aptitude, apt-get and synaptic.
    4. All orphaned and obsolete packages have been purged, including the original kernel.
    5. Lots of quality-of-life tweaks, such as setting folder preferences to List View, removing the Battery icon from the Status bar, setting the Chromium and Firefox preferences to their highest privacy settings, and installing wallpapers (/usr/share/wallpapers).
Features in this release: Notes:
  • This image is a light-weight version of Dream Machine that boots to a desktop in 14 seconds, uses 150MB of memory, and requires only 3.5 GB of disk space. The Mali 3D acceleration achieves a glmark2-es2 score of 145 without overclocking.

XBMC performs best when the resolution is set to 720p, which is done by typing "cp /media/boot/backup/boot-hdmi-720p60hz.scr /media/boot/boot.scr" in the Terminal window before rebooting.

Vino VNC server may be started via SSH by typing "vino" after enabling Desktop Sharing using "vino-preferences".

Optional USB and TFTP boot support is available with the updated bootloader by @suriyan (more here: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2722)

More Odroid software by @meveric is available here: http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/repository

Last edited by robroy on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:08 am, edited 52 times in total.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

Woosung
languages_spoken: Korean,english
ODROIDs: Odroid-U2, Pogoplug-E02

Re: Lubuntu 13.04 Whisper for ODROID-U2 (20130925)

Unread post by Woosung » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:44 am

WOW! It looks so wonderful!!

thx! :D

robroy

Re: Lubuntu 13.04 Whisper for ODROID-U2 (20130930)

Unread post by robroy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:13 am

New features in this release:
  • 1. Uninstalled gnome-disk-utility in favor of gparted
    2. Disabled zeitgeist, bluetooth manager and mount helper on startup (Settings -> Desktop Session Settings)
    3. Removed unused .desktop files in ~/.config/autostart
Enjoy!
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

gripped
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U2 XU U3 XU3

Unread post by gripped » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:02 am

Thanks I've been using this and I like it :D

One thing. By default screensaver kicked in after 10 minutes and on my setup could not be exited whilst in xbmc. Had to use ssh to sort out (or cycle power)

creating ~/.xsessionrc with this in it solved the issue

Code: Select all

#turn off default screensaver
xset s noblank
xset s off
# turn off default standby, hibernate, ... after n minutes
xset -dpms

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:04 am

gripped wrote:Thanks I've been using this and I like it :D
:D :D :D
One thing. By default screensaver kicked in after 10 minutes and on my setup could not be exited whilst in xbmc. Had to use ssh to sort out (or cycle power)

creating ~/.xsessionrc with this in it solved the issue

#turn off default screensaver
xset s noblank
xset s off
# turn off default standby, hibernate, ... after n minutes
xset -dpms
Thanks for the tip! There is also a way to disable it using the xorg.conf. I plan to add a How-To link illustrating both methods, and disable DPMS by default in all of my images ;)

streetboy
ODROIDs: ODROID-X,U2,XU3-Lite
C1, XU4

Unread post by streetboy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:31 pm

Great image ever~~ Super fast, Super stable.
Appreciate it and I've donated a few bills. :mrgreen:
Please keep making great job.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:33 am

streetboy wrote:Great image ever~~ Super fast, Super stable.
Appreciate it and I've donated a few bills. :mrgreen:
Please keep making great job.
Thank you so much! Your donation is very much appreciated :D :D :D

robroy

Re: Lubuntu 13.04 Whisper for ODROID-U2 (20131004)

Unread post by robroy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:14 am

• Upgraded kernel to 3.8.13.10
    Disabled DPMS by adding "xset s noblank && xset s off && xset -dpms" to ~/.xsessionrc
    Installed unrar
    Uninstalled xscreensaver and mednafen
Enjoy!

babelouest
ODROIDs: ODROID U2

Unread post by babelouest » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:14 am

Hi,

Thanks for this image, this will help me build my HTPC/Streaming server easily !

I have a problem with the nfs support, I can't mount nfs shares or use nfs in xbmc.

when I try to mount a smb share, I have the following error message :

mount.nfs: No such device
Although nfs-kernel-support is installed and running.

Do you have an idea ?

thanks !

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:20 am

babelouest wrote:Hi,

Thanks for this image, this will help me build my HTPC/Streaming server easily !

I have a problem with the nfs support, I can't mount nfs shares or use nfs in xbmc.

when I try to mount a smb share, I have the following error message :

mount.nfs: No such device
Although nfs-kernel-support is installed and running.

Do you have an idea ?

thanks !
As mentioned in the original post, XBMC is known not to connect to network shares unless it has root privileges, even though the shares are viewable from the desktop using Nautilus.

There are two easy fixes. The first is to launch XBMC with root privileges from the Terminal window:

sudo xbmc
Alternatively, you can edit the XBMC shortcut in the applications menu to always run XBMC as root. Right-click the XBMC icon, select "Properties", then change the command line to "gksu xbmc" and save. XBMC will then prompt you for the root password when launched. Make sure that the package "gksu" has been installed before editing the shortcut. The XBMC icon on the desktop will be automatically updated.

If you discover a solution that does not involve running XBMC as root, please post back and I will incorporate the fix into a future release.

EDIT (20131115): Root privileges are no longer necessary to use Samba shares in XBMC.
Last edited by robroy on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

mbonamusa
languages_spoken: catalan, spanish, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2, U2, U3, XU4, C1, C2

Unread post by mbonamusa » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:52 pm

Hello,

First of all, congratulations for your great u2/x2 images @robroyhall

I've created my own user with adduser from terminal, because I've not found any user manager. But when I logoff and then try to login with my new user, system does nothing. In the login screen my user is checked and appears as logged in but desktop doesn't start. Also the shutdown-reboot-suspend options from top-right button does nothing.
I need to autologin my user whtn systems starts.

Can you help me?

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:44 am

mbonamusa wrote:Hello,

Thank you! Im glad you are enjoying the images :D :D :D
Last edited by robroy on Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:49 am

I've created my own user with adduser from terminal, because I've not found any user manager.
Follow these steps to add a new user:
  • 1. Install the "gnome-system-tools" package using Synaptic or apt-get, then reboot and add the user using the "System Preferences -> Users and Groups" applet.
    2. Edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf and change the autologin parameter from "odroid' to your new username.

sigi_wei
languages_spoken: deutsch english
ODROIDs: odroid X odroid U2 odroid U3 Raspberry Pi

Unread post by sigi_wei » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:14 am

Hello robroyhall and everybody,

At first many thanks for the great image. It is perfect for my use.
I'm running my U2 as a HTPC and "homeserver". > recording HD TV with two DVB-C USB sticks. Watching HD-TV ( live and recorded) with a Raspberry pi. With a few homebrew scripts and "TV-Browser" as EPG everything would run well - but the U2 crashes too often... nearly one time a day .. :-(
Today observed this "crash" : The entire USB system was down > no reaction to the keyboard,
no access to the USB HDD,
the dlna server "U-share" was running, but because of no access to the USB HDD the client got no music,
Lan was running > got access to the U2 via SSH from the Raspberry. - unfortunately ssh was installed only to user with no "sudo-privilegess"
.. got access o the micro SD card via SSH

My questions:
Has anybody else problems like this?
Is it possible, that the USB system goes to sleep? how can I prohibit this?
Is it possible to check if the USB system is ruinning ? and to restart it auomatically if it is down??
Any other ideas what I can try ?

Thanks in advance

sigi wei

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:33 am

sigi_wei wrote:Hello robroyhall and everybody,

At first many thanks for the great image. It is perfect for my use.
I'm running my U2 as a HTPC and "homeserver". > recording HD TV with two DVB-C USB sticks. Watching HD-TV ( live and recorded) with a Raspberry pi. With a few homebrew scripts and "TV-Browser" as EPG everything would run well - but the U2 crashes too often... nearly one time a day .. :-(
You may be running out of memory, try enabling swap: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-add- ... ile-howto/

In order to properly debug situations such as these, it's critical to inspect your log files (/var/log/kern.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log). After you've reviewed them yourself, post just the relevant crash part, using pastebin.

sigi_wei
languages_spoken: deutsch english
ODROIDs: odroid X odroid U2 odroid U3 Raspberry Pi

Unread post by sigi_wei » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:28 am

Hello robroyhall,
You may be running out of memory, try enabling swap: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-add- ... ile-howto/
swap is enabled 1024 Mib - but I never observerved swaping - I never saw more than ~ 500 MiB of ram used. It crashhed never when the U2 was working - but when the U2 was idle or when there was some action ( printing, recording, play internetradio wih VLC) after an idle period.
In order to properly debug situations such as these, it's critical to inspect your log files (/var/log/kern.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log). After you've reviewed them yourself, post just the relevant crash part, using pastebin.

I will try this - it will be not easy because mostly it happens when I'm at work and my wife needs some services from he U2...
... then she restarts and is angry....... :-(

sigi wei

Edit 28.10.2013

Hello robroyhall,

thank you for the advice. I inspected the ...kern.log .. - there have been a lot failures with the USB system shortly before the U2 "dies".
So I bought a new USB-hub and since then here was no more crash. At now there is a uptime of over 4 days without any problem!!!! :-)

sigi_wei
Last edited by sigi_wei on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:59 am

sigi_wei wrote:Hello robroyhall,
swap is enabled 1024 Mib - but I never observerved swaping - I never saw more than ~ 500 MiB of ram used. It crashhed never when the U2 was working - but when the U2 was idle or when there was some action ( printing, recording, play internetradio wih VLC) after an idle period.

I will try this - it will be not easy
The log files are rolling, so they get archived and can go back several months. You will see several versions in the /var/log directory, and you can look at the timestamp on each log entry to sync up with when your wife is experiencing the crash.

Once you have some information from the log file, I recommend that you create a new thread, regarding your peripherals going to sleep, as that seems to be the most likely scenario based on what you've provided so far.

You can also try the full-featured Dream Machine image and see if the problem improves.

etjlynch

Unread post by etjlynch » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:35 am

Will this not work on an 8 GB card ?

Using OSX did : sudo DD if=Lubuntu-13.04_Whisper-U2-HDMI.20131004.img of=/dev/disk1 bs=1m

place it into the device, it blinks blue twice, then nothing.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:11 am

etjlynch wrote:Will this not work on an 8 GB card ?

Using OSX did : sudo DD if=Lubuntu-13.04_Whisper-U2-HDMI.20131004.img of=/dev/disk1 bs=1m

place it into the device, it blinks blue twice, then nothing.
I am uploading a new release this week because some of my images got corrupted due to some failing SD cards that I've been using for almost a year. It sounds like the bootloader isn't able to find the root file system, which causes the blue light to blink and then stop.

You also may have gotten a corrupted download, which you can check using the .md5sum file which is available in the same FTP directory.

Please check back and try the new copy of the image once it's available in the next few days.

robroy

Re: Lubuntu 13.04 Whisper for ODROID-U2 (20131015)

Unread post by robroy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:51 pm

I have uploaded a newly mastered copy. Please let me know if this version fixes the stability issues of the previous release.

etjlynch

Unread post by etjlynch » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:19 pm

robroyhall wrote:I have uploaded a newly mastered copy. Please let me know if this version fixes the stability issues of the previous release.
Great!, downloading now! thanks a lot

jyams
ODROIDs: U2

Unread post by jyams » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:31 am

@robroyhall

am going to switch from Dream Machine to Whisper tonight as my priority needs are:
1. XBMC
2. Chromium

I've been a faithful Dream Machine user since you first introduced. When XBMC was added I needed that and have used it in the XFCE environment but began to have problems last week. Tried the Debian Jessie image (optimized for XBMC), but it was flaky in some ways and not friendly with Chromium (I think my partitions got messed up when I was trying to expand the "rootfs" partition). I'm looking for a very lightweight desktop that will run XBMC and Chromium. I'm thinking this image is what I really need. I've also figured out how to use the Parted LiveCD to set the partition sizes and it works great for that purpose. I know you recommend the Jessie image for XBMC smoothness, but I had very good luck with it in your XFCE/Dream Machine environment, so thinking it will run smooth in Whisper with the optimized rootfs partition. We'll see. So glad the U2 is easy to experiment with. Love that.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:09 am

I had very good luck with it in your XFCE/Dream Machine environment, so thinking it will run smooth in Whisper with the optimized rootfs partition. We'll see. So glad the U2 is easy to experiment with. Love that.
Thank you, my friend!! I made this image just for you ;)

I upgraded the desktop manager, icon theme and more in the newest release and will be posting more details soon.

I also plan to offer a 13.10 version, since it was released by Canonical a few days ago 8-)

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:31 am

• 1. Installed Vino and Vinagre VNC remote desktop server and client (more here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=266981)
    2. Installed Thunar file manager which supports drag-n-drop and Samba shares
    3. Installed XF desktop as an alternative to PCManFM
    4. Added Terminal to Application Launch Bar and replaced PCManFM with Thunar
    5. Changed icon theme to Ubuntu Studio to support a wider array of icons
    6. Installed Gnome System Tools to facilitate management of Users and Groups
Enjoy!

Want to upgrade your existing Whisper image?
PCManFM does not support network shares or drag-n-drop, and replacing it with Thunar restores those functions. More here under "LXDE/XFCE hybrid": http://askubuntu.com/questions/73017/th ... -11-10-how.

1. Install the new packages:

sudo apt-get install vino vinagre gnome-system-tools ubuntu-studio-icon-theme thunar thunar-media-tags-plugin thunar-archive-plugin file-roller xfdesktop4 xfce-terminal
2. Right-click the bottom Panel and select "Panel Settings", then change the default file manager to "thunar %s" from "pcmanfm %s".

3. Right-click the Application Launcher and select "Application Launcher Settings", then add Terminal Emulator and File Manager to the Launcher after removing PCManFM.

4. Edit the file "~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart" and add an exclamation point "!" to the beginning of the line that starts with "@pcmanfm".

5. Add a file called "xfdesktop.desktop" to the directory "~/.config/autostart" with the following contents and reboot:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Exec=xfdesktop
Icon=help-contents
StartupNotify=false
Terminal=false
Categories=Utility;X-XFCE;X-Xfce-Toplevel;
Name=XFCE Desktop Manager
Comment=XFCE Desktop Manager
6. Using the Settings -> Customize Look and Feel application, change the icon theme to Ubuntu Studio.
Last edited by robroy on Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ins
ODROIDs: u2

Unread post by Ins » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:52 pm

hi
I'm looking for a good xbmc experience, but unfortunately I haven't found yet. I tried Debian Jessie but it's far from perfect, even with 720p.
So my question would be, how can this release handle hd videos? The same like Jessie or maybe better?

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:34 pm

Ins wrote:hi
I'm looking for a good xbmc experience, but unfortunately I haven't found yet. I tried Debian Jessie but it's far from perfect, even with 720p.
So my question would be, how can this release handle hd videos? The same like Jessie or maybe better?
The best way is to experiment with a few videos. Its the same release of Xbmc in both images.

The Android version of Xbmc is the best version available for the Odroid right now.

Ins

Unread post by Ins » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:34 am

robroyhall wrote: The best way is to experiment with a few videos. Its the same release of Xbmc in both images.

The Android version of Xbmc is the best version available for the Odroid right now.
I took your advice, and tried it. It feels like the same, so I think, this can't be a main reason to choose between Whisper and Jessie

jyams

Unread post by jyams » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:14 pm

I'm sticking with the Whisper image for awhile. This despite the shortcomings of XBMC. There is some work yet to be done on the Linux version of XBMC for the Odroid. Tried the Pocket Rocket Android image over the weekend and XBMC works great on it. However, Android (for me) lacks a good desktop browser experience and still looks to much like a phone/tablet desktop, hence, I'm sticking with Whisper for the desktop-like experience.

Specifically, XBMC (whether its the Jessie image or the Whisper / Dream Machine images which use the same version of XBMC) has a pulsating stutter issue in all streaming content. About every 5 seconds there is a pulse frame jump which is quite annoying. I had a great experience with Dream Machine when it first came out with XBMC, but the latest versions have this problem. I may look for a way to install an earlier version of XBMC which seemed to not have this problem. Otherwise, I love the speed of XBMC and the other features. It's just that pulsating stutter every 5 seconds that makes XBMC unusable in this version for me. If anyone has a setting that might solve this please post it here. I've tried a number of things but to no avail. It must be something related to frame rates and has nothing to do with whether the stream is SD or 720HD. All streaming does this.

Thanks and still love all the images by robroyhall! Still using Whisper. Chromium is great!

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:04 am

jyams wrote: Specifically, XBMC (whether its the Jessie image or the Whisper / Dream Machine images which use the same version of XBMC) has a pulsating stutter issue in all streaming content. About every 5 seconds there is a pulse frame jump which is quite annoying. I had a great experience with Dream Machine when it first came out with XBMC, but the latest versions have this problem. I may look for a way to install an earlier version of XBMC which seemed to not have this problem. Otherwise, I love the speed of XBMC and the other features. It's just that pulsating stutter every 5 seconds that makes XBMC unusable in this version for me. If anyone has a setting that might solve this please post it here. I've tried a number of things but to no avail. It must be something related to frame rates and has nothing to do with whether the stream is SD or 720HD. All streaming does this.
Yes, that is a good explanation for what I'm experiencing too. I recommend that you switch over to the official XBMC thread and post your observations more visibly: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1244
Thanks and still love all the images by robroyhall! Still using Whisper. Chromium is great!

jyams

Unread post by jyams » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:13 am

robroyhall wrote:
jyams wrote: Specifically, XBMC (whether its the Jessie image or the Whisper / Dream Machine images which use the same version of XBMC) has a pulsating stutter issue in all streaming content. About every 5 seconds there is a pulse frame jump which is quite annoying. I had a great experience with Dream Machine when it first came out with XBMC, but the latest versions have this problem. I may look for a way to install an earlier version of XBMC which seemed to not have this problem. Otherwise, I love the speed of XBMC and the other features. It's just that pulsating stutter every 5 seconds that makes XBMC unusable in this version for me. If anyone has a setting that might solve this please post it here. I've tried a number of things but to no avail. It must be something related to frame rates and has nothing to do with whether the stream is SD or 720HD. All streaming does this.
Yes, that is a good explanation for what I'm experiencing too. I recommend that you switch over to the official XBMC thread and post your observations more visibly: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1244
As you advised, have posted in other thread. Hopeful for a solution.

cyborgas
languages_spoken: portuguese,english
ODROIDs: odroid-u2

Unread post by cyborgas » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:02 pm

mbonamusa wrote:Hello,

I've created my own user with adduser from terminal, because I've not found any user manager. But when I logoff and then try to login with my new user, system does nothing. In the login screen my user is checked and appears as logged in but desktop doesn't start. Also the shutdown-reboot-suspend options from top-right button does nothing.

Can you help me?
ssh to it and remove the file ~/.Xauthority because it should be corrupted
reboot and that file will be recreated again

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:18 pm

I installed gnome-system-tools in the latest version which adds the Users and Groups settings application to more easily add new users. I also set the defaults for new users to have the same window and desktop manager as the original Odroid user that comes with the image, so you don't have to reconfigure lxde for metacity, thunar and xfdesktop.

Autologin is controlled by the file /etc/gdm/gdm.conf.

robroy

Re: Lubuntu 13.04 Whisper for ODROID-U2 (20131030)

Unread post by robroy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:46 pm

• Installed stable XBMC version (9/1/2013)
Enjoy!

jyams

Unread post by jyams » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:23 am

robroyhall wrote:New features in this release:
Enjoy!
Once again you deliver! :) :) Thank you!!

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:45 am

jyams wrote:
robroyhall wrote:New features in this release:
Enjoy!
Once again you deliver! :) :) Thank you!!
You bet! This is the version of XBMC that won the Monthly Forum Award. 720p playback is very nice, and you will have optimum framerate if you use the 720p boot.scr included in /media/boot/backup.

Also, many 1080p videos play at around 15-20 FPS which is tolerable, but keep in mind that the Android version of XBMC gives the best 1080p experience.

Since the developers have moved on to XBMC for the -XU, it's likely that this 20130901 build will remain the ultimate hardware-accelerated Linux version available for the older machines.

maltel
languages_spoken: english, german

Unread post by maltel » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:11 am

Thanks for that fix. Can you create an howto for upgrading an old image? Best would be a package for xbmc.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:33 am

maltel wrote:Thanks for that fix. Can you create an howto for upgrading an old image? Best would be a package for xbmc.
Yes,@mdrjr and I are working together to see if we can get the latest build running smoothly so that everyone can use the http://builder.mdrjr.net/tools/xbmc-update.sh script again without breaking XBMC.

jyams

Unread post by jyams » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:04 am

usb keyboard/mouse works fine in Whisper, however, in XBMC only the mouse works and not the keyboard. :cry:

edit: well, after working with XBMC for an hour, the pulsating frame stutter about every 2-3 seconds is still there. Fully tested, it's just like the previous image that did same thing. There are some other wonky things that don't work right including the keyboard, clock, and all add-ons showing as broken (which I got around by loading the xbmc hub wizard). robroyhall, I don't think this XBMC version is the one you used in the September image. Sorry and thanks for trying robroyhall.

uri_herrera
languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: ODROID-U2

Unread post by uri_herrera » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:51 am

I've downloaded this image and I have to say it's running great, I have a quick question though, is it possible to upgrade the image to 13.10?.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:05 pm

uri_herrera wrote:I've downloaded this image and I have to say it's running great, I have a quick question though, is it possible to upgrade the image to 13.10?.
It's possible, you just have to run Software & Updates, then recompile the Mali drivers for xorg 14, and make sure to do it on a backup copy.

If you read through the 13.10 threads on this forum, you'll find more information about the upgrade.

However, I recommend waiting at least a month so that missing dependencies, etc can be resolved since the ARM architecture tends to lag behind the x86 versions.

I plan to release a separate 13.10 Whisper image once I stabilize the policy kit permissions for LXDE, which didn't stay intact through the Saucy Salamander upgrade that I did on my development copy.

uri_herrera

Unread post by uri_herrera » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:01 pm

robroyhall wrote:
uri_herrera wrote:I've downloaded this image and I have to say it's running great, I have a quick question though, is it possible to upgrade the image to 13.10?.
It's possible, you just have to run Software & Updates, then recompile the Mali drivers for xorg 14, and make sure to do it on a backup copy.

If you read through the 13.10 threads on this forum, you'll find more information about the upgrade.

However, I recommend waiting at least a month so that missing dependencies, etc can be resolved since the ARM architecture tends to lag behind the x86 versions.

I plan to release a separate 13.10 Whisper image once I stabilize the policy kit permissions for LXDE, which didn't stay intact through the Saucy Salamander upgrade that I did on my development copy.
I see, yeah I tried to upgrade a couple times now using the terminal though neither ended good, I suspected the culprit were the Mali drivers as the upgrade resulted in an updated system but no HDMI output which is just about the only issue I have. I'll keep trying and see what I can do too, though I'd rather wait for a working image from you :), thanks!.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:58 pm

uri_herrera wrote: I see, yeah I tried to upgrade a couple times now using the terminal though neither ended good, I suspected the culprit were the Mali drivers as the upgrade resulted in an updated system but no HDMI output which is just about the only issue I have.
IIRC, there is a new area in 13.10 located at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ that overrides the normal /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Rename the exynos.conf file inside it, then copy /etc/X11/xorg.conf.default to /etc/X11/xorg.conf to enable the default video driver and reboot. That should get you an HDMI signal.
I'll keep trying and see what I can do too, though I'd rather wait for a working image from you :), thanks!.
:D

uri_herrera

Unread post by uri_herrera » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:40 am

robroyhall wrote:
uri_herrera wrote: I see, yeah I tried to upgrade a couple times now using the terminal though neither ended good, I suspected the culprit were the Mali drivers as the upgrade resulted in an updated system but no HDMI output which is just about the only issue I have.
IIRC, there is a new area in 13.10 located at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ that overrides the normal /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Rename the exynos.conf file inside it, then copy /etc/X11/xorg.conf.default to /etc/X11/xorg.conf to enable the default video driver and reboot. That should get you an HDMI signal.
I'll keep trying and see what I can do too, though I'd rather wait for a working image from you :), thanks!.
:D

Awesome that worked, with that I was able to upgrade through the GUI. I'm running 13.10 now, I however had to uninstall pretty much every package after the upgrade since not all of the packages were upgraded some mesa libraries for example. Then I simply had to reinstall the mali driver however I'm using the 3.0.75 kernel instead.

I don't have any issues other than now I'm running at 720p instead of 1080p. I see that you have mentioned issues with policy kit, I'm not on LXDE but I haven't seen anything wrong about policy kit permissions yet.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:02 am

I created a patch for Dream Machine and Whisper that restores the 9/1/2013 build of XBMC, which eliminates the pops and clicks of the audio as well as some of the playback problems.

Please keep in mind that only the Android version of XBMC delivers smooth playback at all resolutions. There will be some 720p and many 1080p videos that do not play well in the Linux version.

XBMC also offers a hardware-accelerated Youtube plugin, which is a great improvement over the software-decoded browser versions.

Download the patch here:
http://oph.mdrjr.net/robroyhall/softwar ... 901.tar.gz

If you have any improvements or suggestions for improving the Odroid Linux build of XBMC 12.2, please direct your comments to the official XBMC thread: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1244.

For developers, the official Odroid XBMC 12.2 repository may be found here: https://github.com/mdrjr/xbmc/.

Pingu
ODROIDs: U2, C1, VU

Unread post by Pingu » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:10 pm

Hi everyone,
first of all I want to thank robroyhall to his great work on all this awesome images.
Keep up the good work!

I'm relative new to Linux but I've read a lot about it the last few weeks.
So I set up a Raspberry Pi with Raspbian OS as a Media Server to stream videos about my home network. My Odroid U2 is running this image (Lubuntu 13.04 Whisper) and displays the videos via XBMC on my TV.
Overview of my configuration: HDD --[usb]--> Raspberry Pi (Raspbian) --[network]--> Odroid U2 (Lubuntu 13.04) --[hdmi]--> TV

So far everything works fine. Till I want to play HD (1080p) videos. I doesn't works smoothly and it's totally laggy.
I first thought it's due to the low CPU power of the Raspberry, so I installed XBMC on my Laptop. With this setup everything works fine.
So the problem have to be somewhere on the Odroid itself. I think it's either my SD-Card (Class 10 - I don't have a eMMC module) which is someway to slow or the OS and XMBC are not working properly together and cause the lag.
Does anyone have some ideas what I can try to fix this problem?

My second problem is a simple one (I think) for an advanced Linux guy but unfortunately not for me.
I simply want to start XBMC at startup with root privileges. I googled a lot and moved the XBMC alias into "~/.config/autostart". Now it starts at startup but without root privilegs and therefore SMB is disabled.
Can anyone give me a quick guide on how to do this? This would be veeery helpful - thanks!

Many thanks in advance.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:20 pm

Pingu wrote:Hi everyone,
first of all I want to thank robroyhall to his great work on all this awesome images.
Keep up the good work!
So I set up a Raspberry Pi with Raspbian OS as a Media Server to stream videos about my home network. My Odroid U2 is running this image (Lubuntu 13.04 Whisper) and displays the videos via XBMC on my TV.
Overview of my configuration: HDD --[usb]--> Raspberry Pi (Raspbian) --[network]--> Odroid U2 (Lubuntu 13.04) --[hdmi]--> TV

So far everything works fine. Till I want to play HD (1080p) videos. I doesn't works smoothly and it's totally laggy.
The lag is inherent in the version of XBMC that you're using. I'm working with @meveric to find a build that improves 1080p playback, but for now, it's best to run your Linux XBMC system at 720p which will deliver the smooth playback you're looking for. Switch resolutions by typing "cp /media/boot/backup/boot-hdmi-720p60hz.scr /media/boot/boot.scr && sync" before rebooting.

If you want awesome 1080p playback, I recommend using my Pocket Rocket image which the best version of XBMC available for the Odroid, and is capable of decoding almost any video without dropped frames: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1321. If you're running from SD card, you'll want to use the Couch Potato version instead: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1322.
My second problem is a simple one (I think) for an advanced Linux guy but unfortunately not for me.
I simply want to start XBMC at startup with root privileges. I googled a lot and moved the XBMC alias into "~/.config/autostart". Now it starts at startup but without root privilegs and therefore SMB is disabled.
Can anyone give me a quick guide on how to do this? This would be veeery helpful - thanks!

Many thanks in advance.
I'm working on getting XBMC to use Samba without root privileges. If I'm successful, you'll see the update in the next release of Whisper :)

Refer to this link on autostarting X11 applications as root: http://askubuntu.com/questions/118472/h ... user-login

If you want to have your XBMC desktop icons run as root, right-click the shortcut and change the command to "gksu xbmc", which will cause XBMC to prompt for the root password before running.

Pingu
ODROIDs: U2, C1, VU

Unread post by Pingu » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:37 am

Thanks for your quick reply robroyhall.
robroyhall wrote: If you're running from SD card, you'll want to use the Couch Potato version instead: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1322.
I installed today Couch Potato but my mouse and keyboard didn't work.
You suggested in the Couch Potato thread to "reburn" the image to the SD Card. I'll try this the next few days and hope that it will work ...
The lag is inherent in the version of XBMC that you're using. I'm working with @meveric to find a build that improves 1080p playback.
Well that sounds nice. Then I'll wait till the new image will be released.
For a workaround I will use the Android (Couch Potato) version but for a long term solution I need an Ubuntu environment. Cause I also want to connect a USB DVB-S box to my Odroid and there are only driver for Ubuntu.

Best regards

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:06 am

Pingu wrote: I installed today Couch Potato but my mouse and keyboard didn't work.
You suggested in the Couch Potato thread to "reburn" the image to the SD Card. I'll try this the next few days and hope that it will work ...
Make sure you have the correct version for your Odroid.

The X2 version running on U2 will have non-working USB, and vice-versa.
For a workaround I will use the Android (Couch Potato) version but for a long term solution I need an Ubuntu environment. Cause I also want to connect a USB DVB-S box to my Odroid and there are only driver for Ubuntu.
XBMC for Linux is only usable when you adjust your system resolution to 720p using the /media/boot/backup boot.scr files. It's unlikely that XBMC Linux will work smoothly at 1080p anytime soon, and you can review the official XBMC and Kernel 3.8 threads if you'd like to know more about that.

However, 720p resolution is stutter-free and smooth on Whisper for most videos, even when playing 1080p files at 720p resolution. H.264 encoded videos work best with the MFC decoder in Linux.

It's the upscaling to 1080p that the Linux MFC driver can't currently handle. In the upcoming Whisper release, I disabled XBMC logging to increases FPS by a few frames, and any further improvements will have to be done at the kernel level by volunteer developers.

FYI, I use two Odroids for my Media Center. The first runs Whisper, and downloads and stores torrents and other media files, saved to a Samba share directory. The second runs Pocket Rocket and maintains a remote Remmina VNC session to the first, giving me a Linux desktop inside Android. I use XBMC for Android to play the media files stored on the Samba share, and have the convenience of switching between the two operating systems using Alt-Tab.

The dual Odroid (8-core) setup is an ideal solution if you are willing to set aside $150 for a second Odroid U2, which may be worthwhile for you to experience smooth 1080p playback in Android XBMC while still using Linux, as I do.

Switching to 720p in Ubuntu will be a mid-term solution for your DVB-S setup:

sudo cp /media/boot/backup/boot-hdmi-720p60hz.scr /media/boot/backup/boot.scr && sync && reboot

robroy

Lubuntu 13.10 Whisper for ODROID-U2 (20131111)

Unread post by robroy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:59 am

New features in this release: Want to update to the latest version of XBMC? Enjoy!
Last edited by robroy on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 8 times in total.

streetboy
ODROIDs: ODROID-X,U2,XU3-Lite
C1, XU4

Re: Lubuntu 13.10 Whisper for ODROID-U2 (20131111)

Unread post by streetboy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:33 am

Great news! Especially Youtube plugin and Ubuntu 13.10.
It's time to donate again ! :lol:

I'm downloading now and test it this weekend.

Return to “Ubuntu”