Ubuntu 12.11 Robotics Edition v2 (ROS+OpenCV+OpenNI+PCL) U2

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Ubuntu 12.11 Robotics Edition v2 (ROS+OpenCV+OpenNI+PCL) U2

Unread postby murrman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:22 am

It's finally ready: Ubuntu 12.11 Robotics Edition 2 for ODROID-U2! This version adds OpenNI 2.2, PCL 1.7, custom code samples, and a few OpenCV packages by request (calib3D and libdc1394). I have also developed a few code samples to demonstrate data acquisition and interoperability between OpenCV, OpenNI2, and PCL (see ~/odroid-development). The code samples will be updated separately from the OS image, so check the github repository frequently.

Features:
Linaro 12.11, Kernel 3.0.75
Mali enabled (checked with glmark2-es2)
Lubuntu Desktop (stripped down)
OpenCV 2.4.6.1 with TBB
ROS Groovy (Bare Bones)
OpenNI 2.2 (Including Primesense drivers for Asus Xtion)
Point Cloud Library 1.7

Download the image here:
http://oph.mdrjr.net/murrman/linaro_ubu ... _u2.img.xz

MD5 checksum:
http://oph.mdrjr.net/murrman/linaro_ubu ... .xz.md5sum

Sample code repository:
https://github.com/cmcmurrough/odroid-development

Login:
Username: linaro
Password: linaro

Update History:
09/02/2013 - Initial release

Planned Updates:
Update Kernel to 3.8
Add working Microsoft Kinect OpenNI2 driver
Improve OpenNI/PCL sample code

Acknowledgements:
Base OS image provided by Robroyhall
File hosting provided by mdrjr
Installation tips provided by swkim01 and lyptik

I hope you find this image useful, and as always, suggestions and feedback are appreciated!

screenshot_v2.jpg
Last edited by murrman on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
murrman

languages_spoken: english

Re: Ubuntu 12.11 Robotics Edition v2 (ROS+OpenCV+OpenNI+PCL)

Unread postby vamsi » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:37 am

Thank you very much. I tested opencv. It's working great with TBB and libdc1394.

Screen resolution got changed from 1920X1080 to 1280X720 by default, though. I'm sure there must be a way to configure it. Just letting you know.
vamsi

ODROIDs: U2

Unread postby murrman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:34 am

vamsi wrote:Thank you very much. I tested opencv. It's working great with TBB and libdc1394.

Screen resolution got changed from 1920X1080 to 1280X720 by default, though. I'm sure there must be a way to configure it. Just letting you know.

You can change the resolution settings by changing the boot.scr file. For this update, I built everything on an X2 and ran robroyhall's kernel swap to make the U2 image. I must have been using 1080p resolution on the original U2 image (in the past I was building both versions separately) and 720p on the X2 that I swapped from.

Anways, just replace boot.scr with the appropriate 1080p version if you want the higher resolution.
murrman

Unread postby epsilonorion » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:20 am

How have you felt about the setup with ROS and OpenCV. I am doing robotics here with Air and Ground vehicles and have my own setup such as yours (PCL was a pain in the butt to get setup). So far I like it, but was curious how another fellow user was thinking? Have you had any major issues (I still have problems with ROS Nodelets on ARM)? Are you only using a Kinect? What FPS are you getting? Are you doing any overclocking?

I have tested my setup with ROS Groovy, OpenCV, and PCL that I installed back in June for a UAV and an autonomous robot competition and it all worked great.

Just Curious to see how it is working for others. Thanks.
epsilonorion

ODROIDs: ODroid-U2

Unread postby Kristof » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:09 am

This looks fantastic!

Would definitely be interested in MS Kinect support.

Keep up the great work!

Kristof
Kristof

Unread postby murrman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:21 am

epsilonorion wrote:How have you felt about the setup with ROS and OpenCV. I am doing robotics here with Air and Ground vehicles and have my own setup such as yours (PCL was a pain in the butt to get setup). So far I like it, but was curious how another fellow user was thinking? Have you had any major issues (I still have problems with ROS Nodelets on ARM)? Are you only using a Kinect? What FPS are you getting? Are you doing any overclocking?

I have tested my setup with ROS Groovy, OpenCV, and PCL that I installed back in June for a UAV and an autonomous robot competition and it all worked great.

OpenCV seems to run pretty well on the ODROID. I run a fairly intensive application on real-time webcam data (30 Hz image update) and get a processed frame rate of around 10Hz. This seems to be on par with my x86 netbook, not bad for a tiny little board!

Regarding ROS, I tend to keep my OpenCV and PCL stuff separate from ROS (I use them both with ROS, but I do not directly pass images and pointclouds as ROS messages). ROS currently uses a patched version of PCL, which does not play nicely with a system-wide install of PCL. Since I often use new features that appear in the PCL trunk in my applications, I do all of my point cloud processing in one node and pass the result as a ROS message instead of actual pointcloud data. Note that the upcoming ROS Hydra is supposed to remove this conflict by using the system PCL install instead of packaging in a modified one.

There are probably lots of issues with several existing ROS packages on ARM. I expect this to improve with time, but for now, most everything that I need seems to work pretty well.

This OS image does not yet have Kinect support, just Asus Xtion at the moment (I'm working on adding MS Kinect support). I haven't done any frame rate benchmarking with the Xtion yet, but when displaying both the RGB and D frames using my code example, it appears to be as fast as my desktop.

I'm not doing any overclocking or anything fancy. I do quite a bit of work with various embedded boards, and the ODROIDs (IMHO) are the best that you can get right now if you factor in cost, performance, form factor, power consumption, and community support. You really get a lot of horsepower per dollar on these, and I really can't wait to see how the XU compares.
murrman

Unread postby murrman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:25 am

epsilonorion wrote:How have you felt about the setup with ROS and OpenCV. I am doing robotics here with Air and Ground vehicles and have my own setup such as yours (PCL was a pain in the butt to get setup). So far I like it, but was curious how another fellow user was thinking? Have you had any major issues (I still have problems with ROS Nodelets on ARM)? Are you only using a Kinect? What FPS are you getting? Are you doing any overclocking?

What competition were you in? I did IGVC this year, though I wasn't using the ODROID yet.
murrman

Unread postby ysinotelodigo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:02 am

Hello,

I like your ubuntu image. It works great.
I have a question. I would like to custom the ubuntu kernel to support /dev/hidrawX.
I have compiled several kernels (3.0.y and 3.8.y) with default configuration.
kernel 3.0.y: odroidu2_ubuntu_defconfig
kernel 3.0.y: odroidu2_ubuntu_mali_defconfig
kernel 3.8.y: odroidu2_defconfig

But the graphic part in ubuntu doesn't work. I can connect to ssh but I can't watch the desktop in my monitor.
Do I need to special configuration to compile well?

Thank you very much.
ysinotelodigo

languages_spoken: Spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid-X
Odroid-U2

Unread postby murrman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:00 am

ysinotelodigo wrote:Hello,

I like your ubuntu image. It works great.
I have a question. I would like to custom the ubuntu kernel to support /dev/hidrawX.
I have compiled several kernels (3.0.y and 3.8.y) with default configuration.
kernel 3.0.y: odroidu2_ubuntu_defconfig
kernel 3.0.y: odroidu2_ubuntu_mali_defconfig
kernel 3.8.y: odroidu2_defconfig

But the graphic part in ubuntu doesn't work. I can connect to ssh but I can't watch the desktop in my monitor.
Do I need to special configuration to compile well?

Thank you very much.

Do you have a serial debug cable? If so, run "startx" and see if LXDE comes up...

One thing that I have noticed is that the kernel update seems to mess up the login screen, which will keep the graphical environment from ever booting. I am close to having this fixed and will post an update soon. For now, you can try running startx on boot with a script or try installing gdm.
murrman

Unread postby ysinotelodigo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:20 am

Thank you for replying.
I didn't know that I can use a serial debug cable in ubuntu.
I have read other thread where people is speaking about uart kit... I don't have this kit.
I have a microusb to usb cable but I believe that this port is only to debug android.
I'm going to go on doing more test and am going to try installing gdm or restart the startx.
If I can start the graphical environment you will post on this thread.
ysinotelodigo

Odroid-U2

Unread postby murrman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:32 am

Check out this link...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2090&sid=1e9808f44db292d2ab55f74378a4b00c#p16537

That will probably fix the graphics issue with your kernel rebuild without needing the serial cable (assuming your kernel build is good).
murrman

Unread postby epsilonorion » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:05 am

murrman wrote:

What competition were you in? I did IGVC this year, though I wasn't using the ODROID yet.

I was working with a group we have here in the AUVSI Roboboat Competition. My research involves using various MultiRotor Vehicles and Ground vehicles to work together in a cooperative swarm. For Roboboat we were going to use on of my quadcopters to accomplish a task, but decided to not use it in the end. Each vehicle uses an ODroid with ROS and an Ardupilot-Mega for controls.

I have been thinking about using a direct connection with OpenCV instead of using ROS to share the video as well. I notice that when passing the video through ROS, the cores are hit very hard, however, it is not as bad when using OpenCV directly. Is this what you were mainly talking about? I had noticed this previously on earlier projects, but more now that we are using OpenCV more frequently.

The main problem I am finding now is getting a nice camera that can handle the vibrations of the quadcopter.
epsilonorion

ODROIDs: ODroid-U2

Unread postby murrman » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:00 pm

Yes, I prefer not to pass big things like images and point clouds around in ROS (at least not on embedded boards like the ODROID). There have also been some conflicts with ROS and standalone versions of PCL and OpenCV in the past, though I think these are finally fixed in the new ROS Hydro.

Regarding camera vibrations on quadrotors, you might want to look into getting a gyro stabilized gimbal. You make make your own pretty cheap using brushless motors.
murrman

Unread postby rmolin88 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:37 am

First of all great job on this OS. Its amazing. Thank you much

But I would like to expand the .img file to occupy my entire 32gb SD Card.

I have tried it using EaseUS Partition but the rootfs partition has a "Other" type of format and it does not allow me to resize it or anything.

Please see attached screen shot of options for the main rootfs.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you
Attachments
SD_Card.png
Screen Shot of Partition Program
rmolin88

languages_spoken: english, spanish

Unread postby KurtE » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:54 am

There are probably other ways, but what I do, is to reboot my development machine to Linux (in my case Mint) and then use the gparted application to resize the partition.

You first have to unmount the partition (if it automatically mounts it like mine did) and then you can do the resize.
KurtE

Unread postby rmolin88 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:08 am

I had tried that but directly in ODROID duhhh...

Thank you very much
rmolin88

Unread postby ysinotelodigo » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:35 am

murrman wrote:Check out this link...

That will probably fix the graphics issue with your kernel rebuild without needing the serial cable (assuming your kernel build is good).

I've installed and configured "nodm". I saw that odroid start different. When I introduce the new kernel, I still have the same problem.
I think that I try to reseach how I have to install opencv over a ubuntu with customed kernel.
If I find the solution, I will say.
ysinotelodigo

Odroid-U2

Unread postby murrman » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:46 pm

ysinotelodigo wrote:

I've installed and configured "nodm". I saw that odroid start different. When I introduce the new kernel, I still have the same problem.
I think that I try to reseach how I have to install opencv over a ubuntu with customed kernel.

If you get a debug cable, first do the kernel update and then install nodm from the debug terminal (that is how I did it before).

Otherwise, I am preparing a V3 image with the new kernel based on robroyhall's 13.04 Whisper. I can probably upload it in a week.
murrman

Unread postby ysinotelodigo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:07 pm

murrman wrote:
ysinotelodigo wrote:

Otherwise, I am preparing a V3 image with the new kernel based on robroyhall's 13.04 Whisper. I can probably upload it in a week.

I wait anxiously for version 3 ;D
Thank you very much!
ysinotelodigo

Odroid-U2

Unread postby TinGoose » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:49 am

I guess pcl1.7 and ros-groovy is not a good idea. We've got a lot of troubles compiling pcl_ros package ( navigation->costmap2d depends on it). Still we managed to build it.
> I am preparing a V3 image with the new kernel based on robroyhall's 13.04 Whisper.
Are you switching to ros-hydro?
TinGoose

ODROIDs: X2, U2, lots of U3, XU, XU3, lots of W

Unread postby nc61 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:08 pm

Is there a way to get a Kinect working on the current version, or do I have to wait for v3?
nc61

ODROIDs: O-droid U2 (soon)

Unread postby murrman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:23 pm

TinGoose wrote:I guess pcl1.7 and ros-groovy is not a good idea. We've got a lot of troubles compiling pcl_ros package ( navigation->costmap2d depends on it). Still we managed to build it.
> I am preparing a V3 image with the new kernel based on robroyhall's 13.04 Whisper.
Are you switching to ros-hydro?

I use ros-groovy with PCL, but I don't use the ros-pcl packages (I use the standalone PCL version and don't pass point clouds as messages). You can check my github code for examples.

I am planning on switching to hydro, but there is a build issue that I am hoping will be fixed soon. I'm tied up with other projects for the next couple of weeks, so hopefully hydro will be more "odroid friendly" by then.
murrman

Unread postby murrman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:25 pm

nc61 wrote:Is there a way to get a Kinect working on the current version, or do I have to wait for v3?

There is an openNI2 kinect wrapper / driver available that should make it work. At the time I made this image, it didn't seem to work, but that might be fixed now.

Give this a shot and let me know if you have any luck...

https://github.com/piedar/OpenNI2-FreenectDriver
murrman

Unread postby TinGoose » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:29 pm

We've decided to move to hydro. I've recompiled all the ROS hydro packages from source. There are still some python-ros parts, which are incompatible with current OS setup ( apt-get groovy packages haven't cleaned well), I am dealing with them now.

We use navigation/move_base stack, it depends on ros-pcl, and we havent't find a way to compile it using groovy branch for navigation stack. Seems like the train of opensource support for groovy has already left us, so we are moving forward, to hydro, to make all the parts work well.
TinGoose

Unread postby nc61 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:50 pm

So it seems like I was able to get the kinect working, just not very effectively. When I run an example from freenect I get about 2fps with about 30-50% CPU usage. It also tells me the entire time that it loses too many packets and has to re-sync. I thought it was my hub so I connected it directly to the odroid, but I had the same problem. I made a script that sets up the drivers (with some minor tweaks to things that didn't work properly): https://github.com/nc61/kinect_drivers/blob/master/kinect.sh I have zero experience with bash scripting, so it might not be the most beautiful thing but it worked for me.

After installing I run:
cd ~/kinect/libfreenect/examples/build
sudo ./glview (There is a permission issue if I don't run as root)

Does anyone know what could be causing these issues?
nc61

ODROIDs: O-droid U2 (soon)

Unread postby murrman » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:29 am

TinGoose wrote:We've decided to move to hydro. I've recompiled all the ROS hydro packages from source. There are still some python-ros parts, which are incompatible with current OS setup ( apt-get groovy packages haven't cleaned well), I am dealing with them now.

We use navigation/move_base stack, it depends on ros-pcl, and we havent't find a way to compile it using groovy branch for navigation stack. Seems like the train of opensource support for groovy has already left us, so we are moving forward, to hydro, to make all the parts work well.

When you compiled from source, did you run into problems with the lisp dependency? I'm working on a new 13.04 based image, and this is a known issue (not sure if it applies to 12.11 on ARM since I was able to install from command line).
murrman

Unread postby murrman » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:45 am

nc61 wrote:So it seems like I was able to get the kinect working, just not very effectively. When I run an example from freenect I get about 2fps with about 30-50% CPU usage. It also tells me the entire time that it loses too many packets and has to re-sync. I thought it was my hub so I connected it directly to the odroid, but I had the same problem. I made a script that sets up the drivers (with some minor tweaks to things that didn't work properly): https://github.com/nc61/kinect_drivers/blob/master/kinect.sh I have zero experience with bash scripting, so it might not be the most beautiful thing but it worked for me.

After installing I run:
cd ~/kinect/libfreenect/examples/build
sudo ./glview (There is a permission issue if I don't run as root)

Does anyone know what could be causing these issues?

Try running the example but comment out of all of the rendering stuff (in other words, grab the frames but don't display it). It may be that the acquisition is fine, but the display is slow.

I remember a similar issue when I initially started working on the robotics images, I think the problem is with GL. In fact, I may have run the exact same thing you are trying, but I don't remember for sure.

In my code examples, I am using OpenCV's image display functionality. I use OpenNI to grab the image, then I convert that data structure to a cvMat. OpenCV seems to have no display issues on the ODROID. Pointclouds also seem to display fine using PCL's viewer.
murrman

Unread postby g.cubed » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:24 am

I was wondering how difficult it is to compile this image myself? I ask because I'd like to do a similar setup for a different board I have, already running Ubuntu. The board is capable, but I'm choosing not to name it out of respect to Odroid and these forums.

In what order would you install? ROS, followed by OpenCV, OpenNI and finally PCL?

Thank you
g.cubed

Unread postby murrman » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:33 pm

The base image was prepared by robroyhall, I just compiled and installed stuff on top.

I did OpenCV, ROS, OpenNI, and PCL in that order.
murrman

Unread postby g.cubed » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:01 pm

Thanks Murmann

I was wondering if you had any experience installing tbb-dev from source? As far as I can tell, its not available as a package for Oneirc on arm. Is that because its not possible?

If anyone know's how to expand this image to fill a 16GB card, please post? I can't boot of the GParted disk on a mac, and because the drive has a Master Boot Record scheme it can't be resized with Disk Utility.
g.cubed

Unread postby mtourne » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:56 am

This is how I extended my rootfs without using gparted.
I recommend doing this on a fresh install, or backup before.
It might even be possible to do from the odroid directly, but I failed on my first attempt.

On a mac, the commands for gnu fdisk might be a bit different.
Once you've copied all the content with dd to the microSD :
do :
$ diskutil list # to identify your disk, mine is /dev/disk2
$ diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2
$ fdisk /dev/sda2 # you can see the table of partitions
$ fdisk -e /dev/sda2 # now edit them
fdisk prompt> print # same as fdisk /dev/sda2
fdisk prompt> edit 2 # fdisk will ask you for the start and the end of the partition (by default it took the size of my sd card)
fdisk prompt> write
fdisk prompt> quit

Now boot your odroid normally, you can see that df -h still say : 6GB
odroid $ sudo resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2

Voila, your rootfs takes all the space, you can verify with another df -h.
mtourne

Unread postby murrman » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:55 am

g.cubed wrote:Thanks Murmann

I was wondering if you had any experience installing tbb-dev from source? As far as I can tell, its not available as a package for Oneirc on arm. Is that because its not possible?

If anyone know's how to expand this image to fill a 16GB card, please post? I can't boot of the GParted disk on a mac, and because the drive has a Master Boot Record scheme it can't be resized with Disk Utility.

I built TBB along with OpenCV. Below are notes that I kept while setting up the X2 and U2 images. Note that some of this stuff is specific to the base ODROID OS image I was using (robroyhall's Ubuntu Dream Machine), and this is not an executable script.

Code: Select all
# UPDATE EXISTING SOFTWARE
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cmake-curses-gui

# INSTALL DEPENDENCIES
sudo apt-get install build-essential checkinstall cmake pkg-config yasm libtiff4-dev libjpeg-dev libjasper-dev libavcodec-dev libavformat-dev libswscale-dev libdc1394-22-dev libxine-dev libgstreamer0.10-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev libv4l-dev python-dev python-numpy  libqt4-dev libgtk2.0-dev ffmpeg

# fix the mesa dependency issue by removing libqt4-opengl-dev
sudo apt-get remove libqt4-opengl-dev

# OBTAIN OPENCV SOURCE
cd ~
wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencvlibrary/files/opencv-unix/2.4.6.1/opencv-2.4.6.1.tar.gz
tar -xvf opencv-2.4.6.1.tar.gz
cd opencv-2.4.6.1

# CONFIGURE FOR NEON (EXPERIMENTAL)
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/beagleboard/5jkGkXmHUe8
change line in  cmake/OpenCVCompilerOptions.cmake
set(OPENCV_EXTRA_C_FLAGS_RELEASE "")
to
set(OPENCV_EXTRA_C_FLAGS_RELEASE "-O2 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp")
http://repository.timesys.com/buildsources/o/OpenCV/OpenCV-2.4.3/OpenCV-2.4.3-neon.patch

# BUILD AND INSTALL OPENCV
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RELEASE -DBUILD_TBB:BOOL="1" -DWITH_TBB:BOOL="1" -D WITH_QT=ON -D WITH_OPENGL=ON -D WITH_V4L=ON ..
ccmake .
make
sudo make install

# INSTALL TBB
1. add source tbbvars.sh to bash.rc (example below)
source ~/opencv-2.4.6.1/build/3rdparty/tbb/tbb41_20130116oss/build/tbbvars.sh
2. copy TBB includes to /usr/include/tbb
~/opencv-2.4.6.1/build/3rdparty/tbb/tbb41_20130116oss/include
3. copy libtbb.so.2 to /usr/lib
/home/linaro/opencv-2.4.6.1/build/lib/libtbb.so.2

To resize the partition, I just put the card in my laptop and use gparted.
murrman

Unread postby TinGoose » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:28 pm

murrman wrote:When you compiled from source, did you run into problems with the lisp dependency? I'm working on a new 13.04 based image, and this is a known issue (not sure if it applies to 12.11 on ARM since I was able to install from command line).

Nope, most problems were caused by missing apt-get packages, making me install them manually (get source & cmake & make & make install).

Uninstalling ros-groovy and installing hydro from source has broke python environment. When I launch any ROS directly from terminal - it works (mostly :D ), but when I try to do the same in the upstart script, it fails with errors leading to rosversion and other python-ros stuff.
TinGoose

Unread postby g.cubed » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:40 pm

Thanks Murmann,

I really appreciate that. I haven't had a chance to work on it some more but will update when I do.
g.cubed

Unread postby rmolin88 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:38 pm

ysinotelodigo wrote:

I was just wondering if anybody was found a solution to this problem. I am having the same issue. I tried the nodm solution and still got the same results.

I tried going with mdrjr script to update the kernel and everything seems to work fine except the Realtek wifi dongle from hardkernel stops connecting to the wifi. I noticed the forum says Ubuntu(Server) so I am guessing that's probably the issue.

Link to 3.8 Kernel Update

http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1516

So it is kind off a pickle between graphics and wifi lol.

Appreciate any suggestions on any of both issues.

Thank you
rmolin88

Unread postby murrman » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:08 am

I haven't used the wifi dongle much, so I can't really be of much help there. What I would try next is to start from a clean image with the wifi working and set the OS to automatically boot without the login screen. The graphics issue seems to be related to the login manager.

Getting a serial debug cable will make your life much easier...
murrman

Unread postby newroad » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:39 am

Hi,

Your Version 2 image work very well.

I am just curious is there any way where the boot up time could be reduced.

My application uses OPENCV functionality for real time eye tracking.

I please let me know if you have any solution.

Thank you very much
newroad

ODROIDs: U2, U3

Unread postby murrman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:33 pm

newroad wrote:Hi,

Your Version 2 image work very well.

I am just curious is there any way where the boot up time could be reduced.

My application uses OPENCV functionality for real time eye tracking.

I please let me know if you have any solution.

Thank you very much

Are you using EMMC?

Also, you could try skipping the login screen. Other than that, I'm not sure if the boot time could be reduced much more.
murrman

Unread postby TSC » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:10 am

Hi there,

I'm not able to get the EDUP 802.11n EP-MS8512 WIFI dongle working. Can someone help me with this issue? dmesg command doesn't refer any extra hardware connected. I tested the dongle in a previous Ubuntu Linaro 12.04 release and it worked. Also tested already the dongle in a PC and it works.

Thanks for the help!...
TSC

languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2 / U3

Unread postby TSC » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:32 am

By the way, another thing: eventhough I do:
Code: Select all
$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configure
anytime I reboot, my keyboard layout gets to be a mess again. Any suggestions?

Thank you
TSC

Unread postby murrman » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:37 am

TSC,

I'm not sure about the WiFi dongle, I haven't used it yet (I have one now, I will see if I have any issues).

For the keyboard, I've never had any issues with any of the standard english keyboards that I have used. Are you using a different layout?
murrman

Unread postby TSC » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:40 am

The wifi dongle is working. No, I think it's a standard keyboard, except maybe the "Fn" key to the alphanumeric keys. Any advice?
TSC

Unread postby murrman » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:54 am

I've never had any keyboard issues before, so I'm not really sure what to tell you. If that "sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configure" command works, I guess you could run that automatically at startup...
murrman

Unread postby g.cubed » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:50 am

Murmann,

Have you had any luck getting rviz installed on this image? I spent hours installing dependency after dependency from source (I don't see an ubuntu package for it on armh), and finally had to take a break (this was last weekend). If you've had any luck (or would consider adding it to the v3 Robotics edition), please help.

Was there still going to be a v3 edition for the U2?
g.cubed

Unread postby murrman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:47 am

g.cubed wrote:Murmann,

Have you had any luck getting rviz installed on this image? I spent hours installing dependency after dependency from source (I don't see an ubuntu package for it on armh), and finally had to take a break (this was last weekend). If you've had any luck (or would consider adding it to the v3 Robotics edition), please help.

Was there still going to be a v3 edition for the U2?

No, I never bothered with rviz on the ODroid. For my projects, I run the visualizations on a desktop and set ROS_MASTER_URI to the IP of the ODroid (in other words, the ODroid is more of an embedded target rather than a full blown workstation). This way you can do your real-time stuff on the ODroid and visualize remotely.

Yes, there will be a V3 for X2 and U2. I've just been backed up lately, but I'm getting back into the ODroid projects now.
murrman

Unread postby g.cubed » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:11 pm

Ah ok, I see. So you have a full desktop ROS install on your desktop then (does it have to be the same version of ROS as on the Odroid)? Sorry, I'm new to ROS and was following through a tutorial that required rviz, so now I'll look for another tutorial :) But I think I get what you're saying.

Thanks a lot!
g.cubed

Unread postby kutta_condition » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:08 am

murrman,

Thanks a ton for the img's thus far! We're a university group using ROS and OpenCV to do vision based control for aerospace vehicles. You've helped us greatly!

I notice that you plan on compiling a new version of your Robotics Edition. We have had problems using the PS3 Eye camera on V2 (it's recognized as a usb device, but we can't get images with OpenCV) because of a missing camera driver, 'gspca-ov354'. Installing this driver has been difficult. Is it possible to include this capability in a new release?

Thanks!
kutta_condition

ODROIDs: XU, U2

Unread postby robroy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:51 am

kutta_condition wrote:murrman,

Thanks a ton for the img's thus far! We're a university group using ROS and OpenCV to do vision based control for aerospace vehicles. You've helped us greatly!

I notice that you plan on compiling a new version of your Robotics Edition. We have had problems using the PS3 Eye camera on V2 (it's recognized as a usb device, but we can't get images with OpenCV) because of a missing camera driver, 'gspca-ov354'. Installing this driver has been difficult. Is it possible to include this capability in a new release?

Thanks!

If you have other options for your camera beyond the PS3 Eye, the inexpensive Logitech cameras work well with both Linux and Android on the ODROID without customization, for example: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Webcam-W ... 006JH8T3S/
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)
robroy

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

Unread postby murrman » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:40 am

kutta_condition wrote:murrman,

Thanks!

I'm glad you are finding the image useful. I use the PS3 Eye often for my own projects, and I believe it works in Ubuntu 13.04+ by default (I will have to check on this). The V3 image will be based on 13.04, and I'll check for PS3 Eye compatibility.
murrman

Unread postby stiebel » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:47 pm

Hi murrman,
your Robotics Edition is great,
opencv works out of the box and my post-calculation is still faster then the 30fps of the webcam...
Thanks a lot!

I wantet to use the U2 as a "video input extension" for my XU to keep
the XU cpu-power for other tasks.
But seeing the low cpu-usage on the U2 I think my XU could handle both,
the video input analysis and the main tasks.

Do you have a Robotics Edition for the XU as well?
If I get the OpenCV and the XU-extension I should be fine.

greetings
Roland

PS : I run the inexpensive maestro board (RC Servo Controller) from pololu to create 12 pwm Signals with
customized timing from the USB port. This is great for Robotics!
stiebel

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: U2, U3, XU

Next

Return to Ubuntu