Ubuntu 12.11 Fully Loaded for ODROID-U2 (20140101)

robroy
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

Ubuntu 12.11 Fully Loaded for ODROID-U2 (20140101)

Unread post by robroy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:48 am

I created a Linaro Ubuntu 12.11 Quantal Quetzal image, forked from the official Hard Kernel release, with a core suite of applications for a netbook/desktop computer.

Download the image here:
http://oph.mdrjr.net/robroyhall/images/ ... 101.img.xz

European mirror by @traxo:
http://odroid.txmonitor.de/

Want to build a set-top box with XBMC?
Use the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Pocket Rocket image instead, with hardware-accelerated XBMC 13: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=125 or the Ubuntu 13.04 Dream Machine image with hardware-accelerated XBMC 12.2: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1335.

Username: linaro
Password: linaro

Username: root
Password: linaro

Applications: Firefox, Chromium, Xine, XBMC, Gimp, Mednafen, Transmission, Filezilla and Oracle JDK 8.

X11 environments: Gnome, Lubuntu (LXDE), Kubuntu (KDE), Blackbox, Openbox, Fluxbox, Unity and Xubuntu (XFCE).

You can switch environments using the circular icon next to the username on the login screen after logging out of Ubuntu. I recommend KDE Plasma Workspace for its hardware-accelerated visual effects.

If you enjoy my contributions to the Hard Kernel community, please consider donating an amount of your choice via the link in my signature.

Customizations left for you upon burning the image to your card:
  • 1. Resize the "rootfs" partition to fit your SD card. This is best done on another Linux system using the GParted utility.
    2. Set your time zone using System Settings -> Time & Date.
    3. Set your language using System Settings -> Language Settings.
    4. Set your username and password using System Settings -> User Accounts.
Improvements and upgrades:
  • 1. Includes kernel 3.0.75, rebuilt to include 24bpp color depth and joystick support.
    2. The Mali 3D EGL and GLES2 drivers are also installed, and ffmpeg has NEON and multi-threading enabled.
    3. To overclock to 1.92GHz, type "sudo gedit /etc/rc.local" in Terminal and remove the "#" from the beginning of the line that starts with "echo 1920000".
    4. Firefox has the IcedTea7 plugin installed for Java browser applets, and uses the built-in HTML5 player which is not compatible with Flash. Chromium has the Pepper Flash plugin installed for viewing Flash videos. Both Chromium and Firefox have the Adblock Plus add-on. The default browser is Firefox.
    5. All upgrades and updates have been run using aptitude, apt-get and synaptic.
    6. All orphaned and obsolete packages have been purged, including the original kernel.
    7. Lots of quality-of-life tweaks, such as setting folder preferences to List View, removing the Battery icon from the Status bar, setting the Chromium and Firefox preferences to their highest privacy settings, and installing wallpapers (/usr/share/wallpapers).
New features in this release: Notes:
  • To boot directly to the most recently used desktop environment, type "sudo /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-set-defaults --autologin linaro" in Terminal, which bypasses the login screen.

More Odroid software by @meveric is available here: http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/repository

Last edited by robroy on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:12 am, edited 171 times in total.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

qkpham
languages_spoken: english

Re: Ubuntu 12.11 "Fully Loaded" image available (20130420)

Unread post by qkpham » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:06 am

Wow pretty cool ! I like those kind of tweaked releases, saves me time - I will check on that 8-) Dunno if you could do that but maybe you could make "experimental" releases as well so that we could test upcoming features.
ODroid U2 8GB eMMC + Sandisk Ultra 64GB SDXC UHS-1 - Ubuntu Linaro 12.11 // Motorola Lapdock Bionic setup

sert00
languages_spoken: english,italian
ODROIDs: ODROID-U2*2__ODROID-U3__ODROID-XU-E__ODROID-XU-Ebeta__ODROID-C1__ODROID-XU4

Unread post by sert00 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:17 pm

great release!thanks! :D
2x Odroid-U2
2x Odroid-XU-E
Odroid-U3
Odroid-C1+
Odroid-XU4
Lcd touch panel 10.1"
....and many of the goodies available....

johanroijakkers
languages_spoken: english dutch german
ODROIDs: Odroid U2

Unread post by johanroijakkers » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:27 pm

Thanks, will give it a try ;-)

But don't fit on my 8GB emmc kart :-(

Grtz Johan

pluss
languages_spoken: english, italian
ODROIDs: U2

Unread post by pluss » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:10 pm

Wow thanx!!

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:34 pm

johanroijakkers wrote:Thanks, will give it a try ;-)

But don't fit on my 8GB emmc kart :-(

Grtz Johan
The total size is 6gb uncompressed. Per a suggestion from @matt, I will release the next version without the tarball so that the image can be piped to the emmc card without saving the uncompressed image to an intermediate disk. For now, you should be able to use another linux host to flash the emmc card using a usb reader. Make sure to zero the emmc first.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

kibergus
languages_spoken: english, russian
ODROIDs: U2 X2

Unread post by kibergus » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:04 pm

robroyhall wrote:The total size is 6gb uncompressed. Per a suggestion from @matt, I will release the next version without the tarball so that the image can be piped to the emmc card without saving the uncompressed image to an intermediate disk.
Instead of dd if=image.img of=/dev/... use xzcat image.xz | dd of=/dev/....

osterluk
ODROIDs: Odroid-U2

Unread post by osterluk » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:11 am

kibergus wrote:
robroyhall wrote:The total size is 6gb uncompressed. Per a suggestion from @matt, I will release the next version without the tarball so that the image can be piped to the emmc card without saving the uncompressed image to an intermediate disk.
robroyhall, when you say "without the tarball" do you mean to post uncompressed images? The xz compression takes an annoying long time, but HardKernel uses it for the official releases and it may be confusing to users to vary from that.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:20 am

robroyhall, when you say "without the tarball" do you mean to post uncompressed images? The xz compression takes an annoying long time, but HardKernel uses it for the official releases and it may be confusing to users to vary from that.
I'm going to replace the ".tar.gz" compression with either .gz or .xz compression only. @matt mentioned to me that "putting the image in a tarball means that you have to first untar/gzip it, then dd it to eMMC/SD. If you use "just gz", bz2, ox xz, then you can unzip to stout and pipe it to dd, which saves a huge amount of space."

I don't mind that .xz compression takes a long time, I package the image on a quad-core 3.5GHZ overclocked I7 while I watch videos 8-)

BTW, your mirrored images are great, since you take the time to break it into partitions. Ill try doing that as well.

nabla

Unread post by nabla » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:33 am

I´m trying to install img with win32 disk imager for ODROID and it doesn´t fit, more space is need. I´ve a 8GB sd. Can you help me??

osterluk

Unread post by osterluk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:09 am

I verified the image yesterday. It leaves at least 1GB as unallocated. The RFS partition is about 5GB. Can you write any other .img files properly? I wonder if you are having a procedural problem.

nabla

Unread post by nabla » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:27 am

I can write others .img files properly. I use 7zip to extract xz file. After extract the img file is 7.761.920 Kb. Then i.m trying to use Win32DiskImager2, and it says writer error not enough space on disk Size 15564800 sectors. Available 15523840 sectors. Sector size: 512

mdrjr
Site Admin
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Unread post by mdrjr » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:53 am

The image dump isn't probably cutted to where the rootfs finishes... that's why..

vasilito
languages_spoken: english, russian, spanish

Unread post by vasilito » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:39 am

Hey all! Thanks devs for hard work.

Unfortunately even on this supposedly complete image I can not run kwin_gles with compositing. Mesa is still in the way with other apps.

osterluk

Unread post by osterluk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:56 am

nabla wrote:I can write others .img files properly. I use 7zip to extract xz file. After extract the img file is 7.761.920 Kb. Then i.m trying to use Win32DiskImager2, and it says writer error not enough space on disk Size 15564800 sectors. Available 15523840 sectors. Sector size: 512
nabla, I shrunk/clipped the .img file and reposted it. Please give it a try. http://odroid.us/odroid/users/robroyhall/ubuntu/u2/ There are otherwise, no other changes.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:13 am

vasilito wrote:Hey all! Thanks devs for hard work.

Unfortunately even on this supposedly complete image I can not run kwin_gles with compositing. Mesa is still in the way with other apps.
You're welcome :D Keep in mind that this is my image, not an official HardKernel release.

To run kwin_gles, type:

Code: Select all

sudo rm -fr /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/mesa-egl
This will get Mesa out of the way so that Kwin can find the Mali OpenGLES drivers.

I am planning another release next week, which will fix a Kubuntu instability related to FIMC. I will make sure to remove the Mesa drivers before publishing it. Thank you for testing :)

EDIT: I just tried using kwin_gles. It works, but lacks the transparency effect of the native KDE Plasma desktop. If you want a fast desktop without effects, tried Gnome, Xubuntu or Lubuntu. They are available as environment options after logging out of Kubuntu.

nabla

Unread post by nabla » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:39 pm

I downloaded it, and installed in my microsd and now it works fine. I´m going to try it on the odroid now, thanks a lot.

codedog

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 (Fully Loaded) image available (20130420)

Unread post by codedog » Wed May 01, 2013 3:40 pm

I'll start by somewhat echoing the previous post: I downloaded it, installed it on eMMC, and now it works fine, thank you very much! :) I have one question though - it's about the Flash player in the browsers. I can view YouTube videos just fine, but for some reason I cannot view videos streamed by our NZ stations. I know very little about Flash... can someone please help explain to me why Flash players can work on some sites but not others? Thanks.

nixw
ODROIDs: ODROID-U2

Unread post by nixw » Thu May 02, 2013 12:36 am

robroyhall wrote:
I'm going to replace the ".tar.gz" compression with either .gz or .xz compression only. @matt mentioned to me that "putting the image in a tarball means that you have to first untar/gzip it, then dd it to eMMC/SD. If you use "just gz", bz2, ox xz, then you can unzip to stout and pipe it to dd, which saves a huge amount of space."
I'm definitely a fan of this idea of piping the uncompressed image straight to the eMMC/SD. I'd vote for this to be the standard way of packing images in the future. I can only see this speeding the task up significantly as the decompression and eMMC/SD write are being done in parrellel. Great idea :D

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Thu May 02, 2013 2:53 am

codedog wrote:I'll start by somewhat echoing the previous post: I downloaded it, installed it on eMMC, and now it works fine, thank you very much! :) I have one question though - it's about the Flash player in the browsers. I can view YouTube videos just fine, but for some reason I cannot view videos streamed by our NZ stations. I know very little about Flash... can someone please help explain to me why Flash players can work on some sites but not others? Thanks.
Adobe does not support the Flash player in Ubuntu on the ARM architecture. If you have the Fully Loaded image, you are actually using a Greasemonkey addon called ViewTube which uses the native Xine player in Firefox. Watching Flash in Chrome uses the Gnash browser plugin.

However, neither package is as robust as the original Adobe Flash player. The best solution, for now, is to try switching browsers. Also, there are two browsers in Kubuntu called "Konqueror" and "Rekonq" which have their own Flash alternative plugins.

Keep in mind that any video played on Ubuntu will not render well unless it uses xine or ffmpeg as the core player.

castillan
languages_spoken: english & french
ODROIDs: ODROID-X & ODROID-U2 & ODROID C1 & ODROID U3 & ODROID XU4 & C2 0.2 & HC1

Unread post by castillan » Thu May 02, 2013 5:36 pm

Hi
I think there is an issue in this image with the X server which crashes very often - see my other post http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 7125#p7125 - Since this post, I have re-installed this image on a new SD card, and found the same issue after working a few mn without any other install than x11vnc....

FDLRS
languages_spoken: english, dutch, french

Unread post by FDLRS » Thu May 02, 2013 7:16 pm

Hi,

For starters : Thanks for providing this image. Thanks to this image, I had a nicely running desktop Odroid without any effort.
I have a couple of questions regarding what can be expected for the future :

- Will there be any support for Gnome 3 in the future ?
- Is it completely safe to run

apt-get update
or do I have a chance to break certain configurations that you provided with this image ?
- I had the impression that running Ubuntu 2D, there was some minor lag in the Graphical interface ( ex. when scrolling to a webpage ). It was really minor, but just enough to notice the difference with an old laptop that I had lying around. Is this inherent to the hardware of the Odroid U2 or is performance enhancement still to be expected ?

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Thu May 02, 2013 10:01 pm

castillan wrote:Hi
I think there is an issue in this image with the X server which crashes very often - see my other post http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 7125#p7125 - Since this post, I have re-installed this image on a new SD card, and found the same issue after working a few mn without any other install than x11vnc....
KDE has been unstable for me as well, and I have rebuilt the kernel several times with some make options tweaked in order to keep KDE from crashing. It works differently from the other desktop environments. Switch to Unity 2d or xfce for now if you are experiencing issues in KDE.

I have another release of Fully Loaded in May which should provide a better Kubuntu experience.
Last edited by robroy on Fri May 10, 2013 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Thu May 02, 2013 10:15 pm

FDLRS wrote:Hi,

For starters : Thanks for providing this image. Thanks to this image, I had a nicely running desktop Odroid without any effort.
I have a couple of questions regarding what can be expected for the future :

- Will there be any support for Gnome 3 in the future ?
- Is it completely safe to run

apt-get update
or do I have a chance to break certain configurations that you provided with this image ?
- I had the impression that running Ubuntu 2D, there was some minor lag in the Graphical interface ( ex. when scrolling to a webpage ). It was really minor, but just enough to notice the difference with an old laptop that I had lying around. Is this inherent to the hardware of the Odroid U2 or is performance enhancement still to be expected ?
You're welcome! :)

1. When Gnome3 is added to the standard Canonical repository, then it will be flagged as an upgrade when you run Synaptic.

2. It is safe to use the "sudo apt-get update" on this image. All broken dependencies have already been resolved.

3. The mesa drivers were accidentally left on the image which take precedence over the mali drivers. Type this to fix it immediately:

sudo rm -fr /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/mesa-egl
Also, make sure you are using an ultra-fast micro sd card, or the emmc module. It is the most effective way to improve the performance of the u2.

FDLRS

Unread post by FDLRS » Fri May 03, 2013 2:07 am

Thanks for the explanation. I did remove the Mesa drivers. Nonetheless, the lag is not gone. Maybe even worse.
I see that the Xorg process uses a lot (50-100%) of CPU when scrolling, resizing or moving a window.

Is this normal ? What could be the cause of it ? Could this kind of lag be the result of a too slow SD ?

I think I have a rather fast SD card. I ran some DD tests :

linaro@linaro-ubuntu-desktop:~$ dd if=/dev/zero of=testFile.dat bs=1k count=200000
200000+0 records in
200000+0 records out
204800000 bytes (205 MB) copied, 14.1235 s, 14.5 MB/s
linaro@linaro-ubuntu-desktop:~$ dd if=testFile.dat of=/dev/zero bs=1k count=200000
200000+0 records in
200000+0 records out
204800000 bytes (205 MB) copied, 0.850749 s, 241 MB/s

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Fri May 03, 2013 11:29 am

FDLRS wrote:Thanks for the explanation. I did remove the Mesa drivers. Nonetheless, the lag is not gone. Maybe even worse.
I see that the Xorg process uses a lot (50-100%) of CPU when scrolling, resizing or moving a window.

Is this normal ? What could be the cause of it ? Could this kind of lag be the result of a too slow SD ?

I think I have a rather fast SD card. I ran some DD tests :

linaro@linaro-ubuntu-desktop:~$ dd if=/dev/zero of=testFile.dat bs=1k count=200000
200000+0 records in
200000+0 records out
204800000 bytes (205 MB) copied, 14.1235 s, 14.5 MB/s
linaro@linaro-ubuntu-desktop:~$ dd if=testFile.dat of=/dev/zero bs=1k count=200000
200000+0 records in
200000+0 records out
204800000 bytes (205 MB) copied, 0.850749 s, 241 MB/s
I believe that it's due to Mali not supporting the original version of OpenGL. Its target is OpenGL ES2 and two other graphics libraries.
Last edited by robroy on Tue May 07, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Fri May 03, 2013 2:48 pm

FDLRS wrote:Thanks for the explanation. I did remove the Mesa drivers. Nonetheless, the lag is not gone. Maybe even worse.

Your SD card looks OK.

I tested the spike in CPU usage you referred to when scrolling a web page. I see the usage go to 50% of 1 CPU, which translates to 12%.

Which desktop environment are you using? I recommend XFCE or LXDE for a lightweight DE.

elemental
ODROIDs: Odroid U2 running on micro-sd

Unread post by elemental » Sun May 05, 2013 4:31 am

Hi,

How are these 2 files (rootfs and img) supposed to be written to my sd card. TIll now just flashing one img file.

Am I supposed to flash the rootfs at the beginning and than the img file at the offset where rootfs finsihes approximately.

Anyone has the sample commands for offset if this is the case.

Regards

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Sun May 05, 2013 5:58 am

elemental wrote:Hi,

How are these 2 files (rootfs and img) supposed to be written to my sd card. TIll now just flashing one img file.

Am I supposed to flash the rootfs at the beginning and than the img file at the offset where rootfs finsihes approximately.

Anyone has the sample commands for offset if this is the case.

Regards
You just need to burn the img file starting at offset 0. The rootfs was included for convenience if you have a custom boot partition.

elemental
ODROIDs: Odroid U2 running on micro-sd

Unread post by elemental » Sun May 05, 2013 6:59 am

Ok THanks for the info.

But experiment time is over. I only just reverted back to my ICS image half an hour ago.

I'll keep it in mind next weekend or whenever I get the urge to change something.

robroy

Updated Release of Ubuntu Fully Loaded (20130503)

Unread post by robroy » Sun May 05, 2013 3:12 pm

Please see the first post in this thread for download links and instructions.

New features in the 20130503 release:
Upgraded kernel from 3.0.68 to 3.0.75
Includes separate kernel patch for 20130420 images
Packaged using .xz compression
XBMC Desktop Environment
XBMC desktop application with 24bpp (works best in Unity 2D)
Lubuntu Netbook Desktop Environment
Kubuntu notification sounds
Virtual Memory support to extend your Odroid's memory above 2GB :shock:
KWin GLES Desktop Environment (type "kwin_gles --replace" in Kubuntu)
Mednafen NES Emulator with 700+ games - click on any .nes rom in the "~/Documents/roms/nes/" folder
E-UAE Amiga Emulator (http://www.rcdrummond.net/uae/) Games: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=amiga+games

Enjoy!
Last edited by robroy on Fri May 10, 2013 8:17 am, edited 6 times in total.

DiscoDave
languages_spoken: English, German

Re: Ubuntu 12.11 (Fully Loaded) image available (20130503)

Unread post by DiscoDave » Sun May 05, 2013 11:28 pm

Been using this image today, it's fantastic!

I think it's time that I should retire my old, slow SDHC card and buy something faster.

traxo
languages_spoken: german, english

Re: Ubuntu 12.11 Fully Loaded for ODROID-U2 (20130503)

Unread post by traxo » Mon May 06, 2013 11:19 pm

I'm a bit confused. The thread's topic changed to "Ubuntu 12.11 Fully Loaded for ODROID-U2 (20130503)". However, on the mirror I can only find Linaro-12.04_FullyLoaded-U2-HDMI.20130503.img.xz and Ubuntu_12.11_20130420_Fully_Loaded_U2-HDMI.img.xz.

Great work nonetheless!

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Tue May 07, 2013 12:05 am

traxo wrote:I'm a bit confused. The thread's topic changed to "Ubuntu 12.11 Fully Loaded for ODROID-U2 (20130503)". However, on the mirror I can only find Linaro-12.04_FullyLoaded-U2-HDMI.20130503.img.xz and Ubuntu_12.11_20130420_Fully_Loaded_U2-HDMI.img.xz.

Great work nonetheless!
The new version hasn't been mirrored yet, since I just released it on Friday. It's available directly from the hosted space provided by @mdrjr:

http://oph.mdrjr.net/robroyhall/images/ubuntu/

Please feel free to distribute the image.
Last edited by robroy on Fri May 10, 2013 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

pluss
languages_spoken: english, italian

Unread post by pluss » Tue May 07, 2013 5:33 pm

Hi robroyhall!
Unfortunately hdmi doesn`t go up for me (no signal on my monitor). Blu led is blinking correctly.
I just made this to flash the image:
sudo xzcat Linaro-12.04_FullyLoaded-U2-HDMI.20130503.img.xz | sudo dd bs=4M of=/dev/sdb

Any ideas? It`s so bad `cause I would have loved to try your OVERLOADED UBUNTU!! :)

FDLRS

Unread post by FDLRS » Tue May 07, 2013 8:46 pm

Hi,

I flashed the 20130503 version yesterday. It is nice to have a fully functional experience out of the box, so thanks for that !
The only question I still have is related to the Xorg performance. When I scroll to a webpage ( either in firefox or chrome ), or when I scroll through a Document in LibreOffice, there always is this lag.
It is not as smooth as it could be. Is this because of the 'limited' hardware, or is it possible that we still see improvement on that in the future ?

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Tue May 07, 2013 10:54 pm

FDLRS wrote:Hi,

I flashed the 20130503 version yesterday. It is nice to have a fully functional experience out of the box, so thanks for that !
The only question I still have is related to the Xorg performance. When I scroll to a webpage ( either in firefox or chrome ), or when I scroll through a Document in LibreOffice, there always is this lag.
It is not as smooth as it could be. Is this because of the 'limited' hardware, or is it possible that we still see improvement on that in the future ?
Thank you!

I answered your question here: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 7212#p7225

FDLRS

Unread post by FDLRS » Wed May 08, 2013 12:11 am

Sorry, I must have missed that. I am however not quite sure, what that means.
Does this mean that it will always stay like this and that the only thing we can do is writing a new Driver for the GPU ( Which is close to impossible ) ?

Hamiko
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: Odroid-U3

Unread post by Hamiko » Wed May 08, 2013 2:17 am

How can I change the keymap for the NES-Emulation? :) Never worked without graphical Frontend!

Found it. After reading exactly, which emu is installed, I find the combination for setting the controls of mednafen!
Press alt + shift + 1

swifty

Unread post by swifty » Wed May 08, 2013 3:14 am

Is the XBMC that's included with this Eden, or have you managed to get a newer build working ?

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Wed May 08, 2013 3:49 am

swifty wrote:Is the XBMC that's included with this Eden, or have you managed to get a newer build working ?
It's Eden, which works smoothly at 1080p and is miles beyond Xine in terms of viewing quality. XBMC 12 isn't available yet from the standard Canonical repository, they are still serving 11.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Wed May 08, 2013 3:55 am

pluss wrote:Hi robroyhall!
Unfortunately hdmi doesn`t go up for me (no signal on my monitor). Blu led is blinking correctly.
I just made this to flash the image:
sudo xzcat Linaro-12.04_FullyLoaded-U2-HDMI.20130503.img.xz | sudo dd bs=4M of=/dev/sdb

Any ideas? It`s so bad `cause I would have loved to try your OVERLOADED UBUNTU!! :)
1. Make sure to zero out the card before writing (sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb).
2. You may need to recopy the hdmi-1080.scr and hdmi-1080.txt on the BOOT partition.
3. If still not working, use the USB_UART module to monitor the boot process, or check the /var/log/kern.log file (using another Ubuntu system), and post any problems that you see.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Wed May 08, 2013 4:19 am

FDLRS wrote:Sorry, I must have missed that. I am however not quite sure, what that means.
Does this mean that it will always stay like this and that the only thing we can do is writing a new Driver for the GPU ( Which is close to impossible ) ?
This will make things more clear, especially posts #30 and #31: https://bugs.launchpad.net/chromebook-arm/+bug/1085596

TLDR: Try your tests in LXDE. Log out of your current Desktop Environment and select either "Lubuntu" or "LXDE", both of which are mentioned in the above post as having 2D acceleration using the OpenGL drivers on Mali.

Alternatively, you can try your benchmark tests using KWin GLES while running KDE Plasma Workspace:

kwin_gles --replace

liosim
languages_spoken: english, français

Unread post by liosim » Wed May 08, 2013 10:07 pm

Great great work.

I was installing softwares, updating kernel, try to find a working XBMC ... when I found this image with everything ready.
Just copied it into eMMC with Win32 Disk Imager (worked well) and surprised : everything installed. Nothing to do (just changed the langage), with a lot of usefull software as an bonus.
And XBMC runs really smoothly !

Thank you Robroyhall : you saved me a lot of hours !
Really a great job !

Just if I can ask you something : I will of course custumise this system (with libreoffice, freedomotic, ...). So for your next release, can you try to do that it will be possible to update an existing system (and not erase everything ...) ?

(sorry for my poor English)

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Wed May 08, 2013 11:07 pm

liosim wrote:Great great work.

I was installing softwares, updating kernel, try to find a working XBMC ... when I found this image with everything ready.
Just copied it into eMMC with Win32 Disk Imager (worked well) and surprised : everything installed. Nothing to do (just changed the langage), with a lot of usefull software as an bonus.
And XBMC runs really smoothly !

Thank you Robroyhall : you saved me a lot of hours !
Really a great job !

Just if I can ask you something : I will of course custumise this system (with libreoffice, freedomotic, ...). So for your next release, can you try to do that it will be possible to update an existing system (and not erase everything ...) ?

(sorry for my poor English)
Awesome to hear! I'm glad you are enjoying the image :)

Don't worry, there is a kernel-only update available with every release of Fully Loaded, which lets you keep your current image and just improve the kernel and drivers. The latest patch is always available here: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1163

traxo
languages_spoken: german, english

Unread post by traxo » Thu May 09, 2013 12:06 am

The Fully Loaded images are pretty great. The only thing still bugging me is the old xbmc version. On my desktop and my notebook I'm using Frodo with a shared MySQL database library. Eden seems to be incompatible with the database. I'm aware that the reason for the old version is the linaro repository. My question is: Did anyone manage to get a newer version of xbmc running on the Fully Loaded image?

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Thu May 09, 2013 1:42 am

traxo wrote:The Fully Loaded images are pretty great. The only thing still bugging me is the old xbmc version. On my desktop and my notebook I'm using Frodo with a shared MySQL database library. Eden seems to be incompatible with the database. I'm aware that the reason for the old version is the linaro repository. My question is: Did anyone manage to get a newer version of xbmc running on the Fully Loaded image?
Thank you so much ! :D

I have XBMC 12 running on Android JellyBean 4.1.1, so I have not looked into getting it running on Ubuntu. XBMC 11 is the latest supported release for Ubuntu ARM.

After searching the Odroid forums for information on Xbmc 12 on Ubuntu, the feedback is that it isn't working that well (black screen issues, etc), but all the posts were written before HK enabled 24bpp color depth.

Once I see an evolved thread about how to get XBMC 12 running in Ubuntu with the same smooth playback and features that XBMC 11 has, I will add it to the Fully Loaded image.

For now, it may be possible to use the Android XBMC app to access your MySQL database library instead.

liosim
languages_spoken: english, français

Unread post by liosim » Thu May 09, 2013 4:43 am

I tried to change the langage, but the following message appears :

Software database is broken
It is impossible to install or remove any software. Please use the package manager "Synaptic" or run "sudo apt-get install -f" in a terminal to fix this issue at first.

What can I do ?

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Thu May 09, 2013 4:56 am

liosim wrote:I tried to change the langage, but the following message appears :

Software database is broken
It is impossible to install or remove any software. Please use the package manager "Synaptic" or run "sudo apt-get install -f" in a terminal to fix this issue at first.

What can I do ?
i just tried installing French, and got the same error.

To resolve this, temporarily uninstall Chromium using Ubuntu Software Center. The language pack is looking for version 25 of chromium-browser-l10n. When System Settings doesn't find Chromium's dependency, it stops installing languages and gives a "Broken Packages" error :roll: You can re-add Chromium after your language is installed.

This will be resolved in the next Fully Loaded release by pinning the package "chromium-browser-l10n" at version 20 using Synaptic.
Last edited by robroy on Thu May 09, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.

yangwoo

Unread post by yangwoo » Thu May 09, 2013 7:36 am

My ubuntu session is closed very often... how can I solve it.?
Any one suffering this problem?

05/09/13 07:19:31 AM linaro-ubuntu-desktop kernel [ 617.687889] CPU2: Booted secondary processor
05/09/13 07:26:44 AM linaro-ubuntu-desktop kernel [ 1050.177807] UMP<1>: Failed to allocate secure ID in ump_ioctl_allocate()
05/09/13 07:26:44 AM linaro-ubuntu-desktop kernel [ 1050.177817] UMP<1>: _ump_ukk_allocate() failed in ump_ioctl_allocate()
05/09/13 07:26:44 AM linaro-ubuntu-desktop kernel [ 1050.656458] vb2_common_vm_close: e7c53594, refcount: 2, vma: 407f4000-40be9000
05/09/13 07:26:45 AM linaro-ubuntu-desktop kernel [ 1050.795808] unplugged
05/09/13 07:26:45 AM linaro-ubuntu-desktop kernel [ 1050.795848] s5p-hdmi exynos4-hdmi: HDMI interrupt source is changed : external
05/09/13 07:26:45 AM linaro-ubuntu-desktop kernel [ 1050.795869] s5p-hdmi exynos4-hdmi: HDMI interrupt source is changed : internal
05/09/13 07:26:45 AM linaro-ubuntu-desktop kernel [ 1050.795876] plugged
05/09/13 07:26:45 AM linaro-ubuntu-desktop kernel [ 1050.795927] s5p_hpd_kobject_uevent: sent uevent HDMI_STATE=offline
05/09/13 07:26:45 AM linaro-ubuntu-desktop kernel [ 1050.795948] s5p_hpd_kobject_uevent: sent uevent HDMI_STATE=online
05/09/13 07:26:45 AM linaro-ubuntu-desktop kernel [ 1050.905860] UMP<2>: Session closed

Return to “Ubuntu”